Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
How so? Please do explain, my good man. I eagerly await your erudite discourse.

praetor

Arcane
i'd gladly write up a wall-o-text response, but it's 4AM over here and i need my beauty sleep.

short version: the barbarian has stated that the world is intended to be plausible (if not "realistic"), while you that want an autocratic theocracy are just after the "coolness factor" of WH40K ignoring the fact that this combination is probably the one that will bring the most and quickest failure.

seriously folks, how can you believe religion of all things would be relevant (let alone a tool to rule) in a society so advanced?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
praetor said:
i'd gladly write up a wall-o-text response, but it's 4AM over here and i need my beauty sleep.

short version: the barbarian has stated that the world is intended to be plausible (if not "realistic"), while you that want an autocratic theocracy are just after the "coolness factor" of WH40K ignoring the fact that this combination is probably the one that will bring the most and quickest failure.

seriously folks, how can you believe religion of all things would be relevant (let alone a tool to rule) in a society so advanced?

But there is an example of a working (as far as we know) interstellar society that is somewhat based off religious fanaticism: the Turanei.

Also, I think you may be seriously underestimating the power of religion, particularly when it arrives after a period of bloody strife. Remember, the Barbarian also said that Codexians were human, with human concerns. Sheeple are still sheeple. It would also be folly to treat Codexianity as super-rational, culturally-advanced beings. We are definitely nowhere near that level. If that was the case we wouldn't have this civil war in the first place.

Nickless

Educated
I vote BA

If you guys think religion has a chance of really unifying the people in the future, where science has advanced so much, then, you're wrong. Come on, a militaristic oligarchy would be amazing, and further, unite the people, ala 1984.

laclongquan

Arcane
Ahem.

May I remind you ladies and gentlemen what our future goals are? Conquer the stars, starting with our nearby aliens which is the GODDAMNED RAUMENS. After that will be the final integration of human civilization: Reconquest Commonwealth.

For that, a strong arm of military is needed. NO question. The past has proved that peaceful mean like trade and diplomacy never can get us to that dazzling heights. So now let's us enter a new road, a conquering road.

Hail Senate of NCR! Hail the conquering heroes of Codexia!

Autocracy is out of question, my fellow councillors. From the look of the suicide faction, I see they are just itching to put power into AI hands and enter the final sleep. Same idea with Theocracy.

The VOTE will be BA Militaristic Oligarchy, ala Japan style pre-WW2. It worked in the past, as Japan conquer the Asian Pacific regions. It's stopped when Japan ate 2 nukes, which vouched for its strength and resiliency.

All hail Space Samurai!

EDITITY EDITY:

Vote change: Oligarchy Mercantile. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.

Since my wish Militaristic Oligarchy doesnt work out, I have to be content with the second best Mercantile Oligarchy. At least it's better than a soulless emperor godking.

laclongquan

Arcane
And dont count yourself safe with AI dont have control of weapon systems. As long as they can paint human vessels as hostile targets human crew will pull the trigger and there goes that AI laws. And as long as AI can paint an attractive goal/target, it can have human minions to do its dirty deeds. As with the idea of Religious society in this Galaxy.

Beware! AI has made its move.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
To clarify:

Any choice you make is viable. Since the next update will be one covering a period of several decades, the Barbarian will make it work.

Of course, every choice also has serious implications for the future.

The Barbarian will give this a few more hours, before collating the votes.

EDIT:

Congratulations, comrades. This is now the longest thread in the Playground...

laclongquan

Arcane
You are an innocent, master root, babe in the woods, a term ancients used to use. Not a trace of scepticism and paranoia anywhere in your bone. I, on the other hand, got them steep in my marrows.

Think! For millennia, not a trace of religion show its face in Codexia's state of affairs. Now, after a serious civil war, when human distrust themselves, when AI got a seat in the senate, when they have some functions in the fleet which is the only tool can suppress them on planets, a religious movement appear that want to place ultimate power into the hands of one individual. Who can be trusted not to be corrupted by ultimate power, who is the final authority, the emperor-god-king of humankind? No human that is for sure. Who else left? Phyr? They ran. Only AI remain. Heh!

Think I am paranoid? The only question I have is that am I paranoid enough.

Nickless

Educated
A militaristic stance will help us build a military, root. An oligarchy should support a meritocracy, where only the best are promoted to positions of command. The people will be united by fear and xenophobia, and humanity will spread across the stars, eventually purging the universe of the alien blight. We can only have peace when every last stinking alien lies dead at our feet.

laclongquan

Arcane
Actually Oligarchy meaning a few clans hold power, kinda like sharing sections of authority among themselves. It doesnt necessarily mean meritocracy. Mind you, the two can stand together very well, since meritocracy can be the safety valve for many social tensions resulted from Oligarchy. When we build an Oligarchial society I definitely will push for meritocracy, that's for sure.

laclongquan

Arcane
If you choose Theocracy then we are gonna get surprise buttsek later, extremely hard, without lube.

IN that case, only choice remain is to prolong the preparation period: Oligarchy over Autocracy.

I still havent changed my vote, do note.

juggernaut

Educated
root said:
Machine Goddess

Fixed :smug:
cyborgb2.gif

I'll go AB as well, though I'm pretty sure it's locked in. Willing to flip to BA to prevent any of the others if necessary.

wjw

Augur
Praise the Lord.

Those voting for a Militaristic Oligarchy. Go live in Arabia/Africa. Go enjoy your Militaristic Oligarchy. Have fun with the Warlords.

laclongquan

Arcane
And did they have an empire built on that principle? No? Then it mean they failed.

On the other hand, The Great Asian Pact, with Japan as the nucleus and others as puppets, was a success. Under the onslaught of both US armies and native rebellions they failed, but not until after 2 nukes hit Hishoshima and Nagasaki.

praetor

Arcane
root said:
militaristic won't get us anywhere without a military, which we don't have.

are you having trouble reading? let me bold it out for you

The Barbarian said:
Any choice you make is viable. Since the next update will be one covering a period of several decades, the Barbarian will make it work.

we don't have a military now, but if we focus most of our efforts on rebuilding it by the time of the next update we'll be equipped to at least retake the traitors

come on dude, when will you understand that this ISN'T WH40K? start fucking thinking! it's a healthy habit. seriously

and btw, in my previous post i meant "a technologically and, most importantly, scientifically advanced society". from all the clusterfucks and disasters your faction has put us through, i thought it was a given i didn't mean "advanced socio-politically"

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
When root goes full-wartard mode : people get butthurt
When root goes multikult liberal : people get butthurt

:lol:

praetor

Arcane
treave said:
When root goes full-wartard mode : people get butthurt
When root goes multikult liberal : people get butthurt

:lol:
because he doesn't understand either and is doing it wrong :smug:

I'm wondering how the Barbarian will count the votes this time. Will they be seperated (eg// A.B. counts as one vote for Autocracy and one vote for Theocracy) or as one (as one vote for an Autocratic Theocracy).

Our downfalls have been because your average Codexian is not prepared to sacrifice everything for the good of Codexia. This is why the Commonwealth was formed in the first place. Remember, to kill the weed, you must kill the root. A theocracy will give everyone something to believe in, something to unite them against our enemies, and in doing so - we lose the vulnerabilty that has held us back so far.

Radech

Augur
The Barbarian said:
To clarify:

Of course, every choice also has serious implications for the future.

keeping this in mind i would beg all of you machine goddess worshippers to reconsider, this is not the time to choose a quick fix, it's for the long haul, the foundations of codexia

ps. an autocratic, mercantile nation wouldn't be too bad, the british empire did alright, would still prefer oligarchy/meritocracy, it's just too damn expensive to keep the good standing of the dear leader intact

Nickless, I applaud your high wisdom, it is clear that you understand codexias struggles and that codexia must trust in the army to win. BUT the army faction is too small to win anyhow, so your vote will be wasted. I would recommend that you change your vote to C, mercantile, if only to keep the fanatics out of power. After all Codexia has some mercantile traditions to draw upon, but absolutely no influential religious traditions.

laclongquan, I see that you too are wise. Vote C - don't think abut it as a vote for mercantile, think about it as a vote against un-Codexian religious oppression.

Angthoron

Arcane
Despite a female goddess being a nifty idea, I would really urge the Ascendancy to be the cornerstone of the Codexian society...

...Although who's to stop a pantheon from being there? Maria, the Goddess of Space-Faring and Eugenics, Laclongquan, the God of Boarding Crews, Treave, the God of Spontaneous Combustion Through Superheated Ray Weapons...

The religions have changed, Council. Their base intent remains the same - leading men, unifying them and making them into obedient citizens for our war machines, exploration and settling, forges of Codexian might and progress. But it is no longer a stone-age cult of lightning, no longer a worship of the glass skies. Even the heart of the Universe does not hold place to mysticism any longer.

Those of you aware of an ancient fantasy setting called Planescape, think of Godsmen. We would be the Godsmen of our worlds - the brilliant, powerful, focused power whose faith can be taken by anyone with half a brain.

Imagine the Raumen joining our Empire not through the might of our guns, but through the might of our words. Imagine our words backed up by enormous guns manned by professional zealots. No pity to the infidels, no safety for the traitors.

We would reign supreme.

As for those of you that vote what you consider the "lesser evil" - think once more. You do not vote out of conviction - you vote out of antagonism. Do you want your society to be based merely on your feeling of antagonism towards another choice?

Lobby your true choice if you wish, declare it supreme, sway others' minds - but do not build a society on a shaky stone of stubbornness.

Question to Barbarian: Say Theocracy would win - would you create your own vision of Codexian Theocracy or would you go with Ascendancy or other such religious practice offered by the participants of this thread?

Radech

Augur
laclongquan said:
Queen Beth is the autocratic absolute power ruler of Brit Empire? That's news to me.

nah a couple james' was close to that, but disregard that, things went to shit under them so never mind - oligarchy is the way to go :P, or whichever allows us to install a puppet figurehead for the people to believe in, while the counsellors can rule uninterrupted

Conkrete Knight

Educated
Angthoron said:
Despite a female goddess being a nifty idea, I would really urge the Ascendancy to be the cornerstone of the Codexian society...

...Although who's to stop a pantheon from being there? Maria, the Goddess of Space-Faring and Eugenics, Laclongquan, the God of Boarding Crews, Treave, the God of Spontaneous Combustion Through Superheated Ray Weapons...

The religions have changed, Council. Their base intent remains the same - leading men, unifying them and making them into obedient citizens for our war machines, exploration and settling, forges of Codexian might and progress. But it is no longer a stone-age cult of lightning, no longer a worship of the glass skies. Even the heart of the Universe does not hold place to mysticism any longer.

Those of you aware of an ancient fantasy setting called Planescape, think of Godsmen. We would be the Godsmen of our worlds - the brilliant, powerful, focused power whose faith can be taken by anyone with half a brain.

Imagine the Raumen joining our Empire not through the might of our guns, but through the might of our words. Imagine our words backed up by enormous guns manned by professional zealots. No pity to the infidels, no safety for the traitors.

We would reign supreme.

Marias avatar is a cyborg, just saying....

If we can pull of Ascendancy it would be nifty.

By the holy principle of The Double-Blind, The Empiric Method and the imperative of Rational Thinking, may your Knowledge grow manifold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom