Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Rest easy, friends, for Conan is a mystical savant, his talents prodigious. No exam is an obstacle beyond his capacities!

Also, B took that last vote quite comfortably. Update is forthcoming, in the next eight hours, or so.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Clawing at the Stars

Inquisition.jpg

'... Brothers and sisters, for they were impure! They were the get of sin. They were the progeny of vanity, bonded to decadence. THEY put themselves above the Highest, the blasphemers. They reached for unlimited power, and the skies unleashed a nuclear torrent, in response - the tears of a heaven in turmoil. The Highest loves goodness, my brothers and sisters. The Highest loves irreproachably pure intention. He does not love you. There is no mercy in him for flesh. You have the love of the One only when you hav- ... only when you have cleansed yourselves of filth, and have become more than flesh! FLESH is the domain of the weak and the ersatz! The One does not accept the platitudes of the weak. He wants you to be strong! He does not coddle his children. Either you choose, here and today, that your life will be the search for spiritual perfection, or you abrogate your right to live in the Kingdom of the One - HIS Respublica! Our God does not cajole, he DEMANDS! Pay lip service at your peril; remain diligent or wither; be good, be pure, be the Sword of the One!'

- Wise Earl Neymar, recorded during the 12th Convocation of the People of the Respublica, 332AU

Between 328AU and 336AU the Marianites took steps to consolidate their power over the Respublica. In 330AU the Mandate passed into law. It was a deeply religious constitution for a stringently religious state. And it was to prove to be only the beginning. Those years also saw the empowerment of a retrograde movement that doomed the Adams, the Betties and the Charlies (AIs of the first and second generation) remaining in Old Codexia to 'oblivion'. Tech-mods fell into disuse - first amongst the general population, and then even in the military. Society was simply overhauled from the bottom up and problematic social actors were made to 'disappear' with unnerving regularity. Critique of the state (and, due to the wording of the Mandate, Marianism by extension) became unacceptable and was punished with extreme prejudice. By 340AU the faith could justify any excess under the banner of religious imperative. All this resulted in stagnation. Not only did the post-war economic recovery in Codexian space stall badly, it was further exacerbated by a principled refusal to trade with xenoforms. Tentative private initiatives on the part of Raumeni merchants were strongly rebuffed.

Neither the government/church or the adherents of the faith particularly cared. Economic stagnation was accepted nonchalantly by a population increasingly used to frugality. The old generation, which still remembered how things were when plenty was the norm, shrugged powerlessly. Consumer culture declined. The Golden Age of Codexia was characterized by Post-Fordist consumer micro-culture. Its New Age was to be a time of fervor and discipline. Meanwhile, the Commonwealth continued to strengthen. Another fifteen years of development saw it slowly become a burgeoning industrial powerhouse, in its own right. Commo citizens were getting rich, while their Respublican cousins wore their frugality like a badge of honor. There was no love lost between these increasingly divergent peoples. The situation in Raumen space remained complicated, with the Hin'in holding dominion over most of the Clans, in one way or another. Though the Raumen stayed belligerent and resentful, they had failed to take back their independence twice, already. Their strength had failed.

The ursine Phyr were increasingly aloof. Most had fled Codexian space in the aftermath of the Marianite Revolution and the Brotherly Conflict. They either settled in the Commo, or joined their pioneering kin resettling the Phyr Dead Zone. Several colonies were already doing quite well, by this time, although the Phyr would likely never even approximate their old power. For the Respublica, these alien activities were significant only insofar as they were perceived to be a threat to the Faith. Even if no conflict seems immediately forthcoming, underlying tensions inevitably drive Marianism into a confrontation with the Commo, at the very least. It is time to make a choice.

The following is a medium-term choice (2-10 years)

Do you... concentrate on rebuilding the economy? Frugality is all good and well, but ships don't pay for themselves!

OR

Do you... concentrate on rebuilding the military? We can afford to keep our promise to Codexia's proud military institution! Furthermore, we will give it a Marian complexion - our warriors should be the banner carriers of our religion.

OR

Do you... concentrate on strengthening the regime's grip on authority? Heretics, infidels, apostates and sinners are everywhere. This state is threatened from within. We must cleanse it, before we turn to outside threats! Our people will be incorruptible!

Please note: 'Concentrate' implies that all three policies will be pursued by the government to some extent. The one chosen will be specially emphasized.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Decadent Commonwealth scum.

Is it possible for us to be given a brief report on the strength of the Commonwealth military forces and what we currently have at the moment? I'm thinking we're likely to be weaker than them at this stage.

Also, awesome pic. Makes me want to go all military.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Yes. The next update isn't coming for a few days.

In between, a brief explanation of the Marianite faith will be given, and a State of the Union is due. The power relationship will be explained, therein.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Affirmative.

Time to bunker down and wait for a report.

To our brave but sadly obliviated AIs, I salute thee.

Nickless

Educated
Edit: I'm flip-flopping to A. While B has merit, I don't want to see C, as it's really addressing a problem that hasn't been raised.

*sigh*.... So you niggers finally have managed to make conan write Wh40k fanfic. Congrats, I guess.

As for the options, I didin't really see any significant internal threat mentioned, so I'll assume any internal resistance at this point is disorganized and subdued. The history of the rise of marianism certainly doesn't give us reason to think otherwise.

Also we will never be able to match the industrial output of a secular consumerist state, so the military option is the only one that makes sense IMO. Also a thoroughly marianized military will be able to crush any rebellion, thus making option C redunant.

B it is then.

If we need a military to crush a rebellion, then we have already failed. The faults of the Respublica must first be purged before we can turn our eyes out into the stars. Internal weaknesses will be the first to fracture, then break, in the struggles we shall face - we must make dead certain that we have no weaknesses that can be exploited.

C

Saemon

Novice
We should get our religion liked and loved through economic growth and after that everyone is ready to follow us.

A

The Barbarian

Liturgist
*sigh*.... So you niggers finally have managed to make conan write Wh40k fanfic. Congrats, I guess.

Conan hopes that this will prove to be a cynical assessment. He likes WH40k as much as the next mighty warrior, but we are not quite there. At least, not yet.

laclongquan

Arcane
My strategy this time will be the strengthening of internal structure so that when the inevitable fall of this theocracy NCR will spring back faster and stronger than ever with minimum of unrest.

For that, options that lead to decrease internal threat of coupdetat to current regime is desirable, so C is out. However, options that lead to weakening power of NCR as a whole is not.

Rebuild the fleet, while strengthening RoC as a whole, invite expansionism and the waste of resources through it. And it strengthen power of theocracy in some way.

So rebuild economy make too much sense. Not least because we just emerge from a terrible Civil War, with the loss of efficiency (AI), inherit the terrible inefficiency and loss of science advance that is the hallmark of religious goverment.

Vote is AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

wjw

Augur
Purity will be our future strength. I go for C.

Too bad we appear to be a technophobic race as well... :(

praetor

Arcane
hmm... regaining some kind of economic stability would be very important, and rebuilding the military should be a high priority when pretty much everything that isn't the NCR is our enemy. C makes the least sense so i vote for: C!

Kierkegaard said:
What looks like politics, and imagines itself to be political, will one day unmask itself as a religious movement.

EDIT: flip-flopped to B!

obediah

Erudite
Was C a trick answer to find the people trying to end this as quickly as possible?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
This is not a vote, but I see A as an option to build up the economy while maintaining our independence from interstellar alien-tainted trade markets. Keeping ourselves self-sufficient enough to power a larger war machine later. We're not going to suddenly ask the Raumen to come dabble in our markets.

I know you rabid atheists hate religion and love godlessness but let's have at least one Crusade before getting the insane theocratic dictator overthrown?

Conkrete Knight

Educated
A

Mhhhmm, while B is tempting(eliminating possibility of militararistic revolution by integrating military into the clergy) I tend towards taking A. The commonwealth is going to outproduce us anyway, big army or not, we need whatever we can get.
If we want to take them on we should wait until they get an economic crisis or unrest due to inequality or other factors.
Our society is stable, and that is about our only strength right now.
Theirs is not.

If they get into trouble we should most certainly meddle, but taking them on head first spells disaster, one way or another.

C probably leads to slaughter and/or and all out secret police STASI style, which has its merrits, but imho is not worth it.

And CURSES about us turning technophobe :(

The Barbarian

Liturgist
SOTU and an update on the Hin'in is finally coming tomorrow. Then, a little bit on the Marianites. Finally, a proper update late Tuesday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom