Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

wjw

Augur
Fellow Codexians, i ask you one question...

WHAT HAS HAPPEND?

Why do we follow the middle ground again? Why do we continue with this strategy of expansion and conquest? As if there are no alternatives?

Our Salvation does not come with the destruction of the Commonwealth. They are neither foe nor friend. They are nothing. They should be forgotten. There is no reason to attack them, when they are at the peak of their power.

I ask all of you to see the bigger picture. To see beyond the veil that has closed your eyes. The key to the universe is knowlegde. Forbidden knowdlegde of the Ancients. Forbidden knowdlegde of the Crystals...

Follow the road of PEACE for now. Vote C!
Believe in the MIRACLE... Believe in the true God.

although i can't say i'm happy with the direction that our...empire has taken, we should make an effort to make it prosper, instead of trying to undermine it from within so we can forge our own twisted views, y'know. especially because undermining will probably make it fail for good at some point.
You aren't happy with the direction? This was your doing :evil:

In any case, getting the eventual trashing now, and from an enemy that couldn't hope to destroy us completely is much better than getting trashed by a genocidal alien species later.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Brothers, might I make a suggestion? The small-minded fools of the Commonwealth are easily deceived.

I propose we take approach C. Let us publicly decree that the Respublica has no interest in such a conflict. Let us lull them into a false sense of hope. Let us play with their hearts and minds by displaying open signs of love and affection for our Brothers.
  • Do you... decree that the Respublica has no interest in such a war? The Commos act out of fear. Assure them you mean no harm, by unilaterally recognizing their independence and sovereign right. This is the will of Santi Maria. Enough have died! [This approach is LEAST AGGRESSIVE and entails a LOW chance of conflict]
Then we bide our time. We build our world in resplendent glory and show all the peaceful path to righteousness. And then, when the time comes, when the Commonwealth trips up and blunders into a war or is attacked by one of our alien foes (after much plotting by us to make such an event occur obv.), then my Brothers, then we fuck them up the rear end by surprise.

What say you?

Otherwise, Option A.

Nickless

Educated
Hm, I'm leaning on C or A at this point. Is the Commonwealth a buffer against the Bugs and Psychic Hobbits? If we push for peace, the Commonwealth might not accept it, due to conflicts of ideology, and strike at us while our back is turned, yet if we push for A, we might enter conflict needlessly and strongly limit our resources when it comes to fighting the Hobbits. We can spread our religion to the Commonwealth peacefully with C if we manage to open up trade relations (That however will cause conflict on the homefront, when people see firsthand the wealth that the Commonwealth enjoys) or we can try and take the colonies by force, over time instilling the virtues of our religion into them.

Edit: I think I'll vote A then, as, given the nature of our near totalitarian society, brainwashing the populace will work overtime. We're not trying to force democracy onto Iraq, we're trying to forcefully convert and indoctrinate heretics and our people don't object to the use of almost any method so long as it doesn't conflict with dogma. I may be willing to flip-flop to C, if I have reassurance that we will not open our borders to the Commonwealth (We do not need to rely upon trade as much as they do, I think. If we do open ourselves up to trade, then it should be trade between our governments, and not private citizens. We can work on trying to improve our own society/economy/military and expand outwards into non-occupied space.)

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The two scenarios in which I'd consider voting for C would be:

a) Continued, secret military build-up which is successfully hidden from the Commonwealth.

or

b) Opening Commonwealth borders to a floodgate of devout Respublica immigrants who proceed to outbreed the decadent Commos in their own land and send their pay home to mother Respublica. :smug:

Which reminds me, any info on exactly how liberal the Commonwealth government is? Are they multikult lovers who will give all and sundry a fair shake in the name of tolerance and acceptance?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hm. Probably not that easy to pull off the immigrate and outbreed strategy then. Old Codexia could be hard-headed as fuck sometimes (if only because it was run by some schizophrenic Senate).

Maria

Novice
Let us not provoke our lesser brothers, let us convert them with our superior way of life!
Option C

We should have no mercy for those who are not worthy of Santi Maria :evil:

A

If we'd built up the military already we could invade them now, rather than later. Unfortunately we are not yet ready.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Communism starts with a C. Ergo, extendng an olive branch to the seperatist Commie scum must be communism. QED. :smug:

Anyway, a quick tally so far (bear in mnd I probably missed someone, so this is not 100% guaranteed accurate):

anus_pounder: A
Luan: A
Black Bart Charley: B
Concrete Knight: A
Ulminati: A
laclongquan: C
root: A
herostratus: B
praetor: B
back to sportforredneck: A
GarfunkeL: A
wjw: C
Darkunderlord: C/A (I think he meant C, with A as an alternative)
Nickless: A
Azira: C
(Santi) Maria: C
Undead Phoenix: A
treave: A
Dragula: C

Totals:
A: 10
B: 3
C: 6

Go option A!

laclongquan

Arcane
Tsk! You boys are too naive. No wonder, considering religions lessen your capacity for thought.

The regime that reassure commies and bears is a religious government, the Marianites. Get it? That has nothing to do with the next government. I oppose war now because in the event we win, the goddamned religious priest-ridden economy will ruin those vibrant and healthy economies of the defeated. IT would be a waste of a win.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
laclongquan said:
Tsk! You boys are too naive. No wonder, considering religions lessen your capacity for thought.

The regime that reassure commies and bears is a religious government, the Marianites. Get it? That has nothing to do with the next government. I oppose war now because in the event we win, the goddamned religious priest-ridden economy will ruin those vibrant and healthy economies of the defeated. IT would be a waste of a win.

Nothing goes to waste under the benevolent and divine watch of Santi Maria, blasphemer.

O gloria, gloria sancti
Dixitque Santi Maria fiat Respublica: et facta est Respublica

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Are you insinuating that a jewel-encrusted statue of Wise-Earl Neymar raising arms in praise to Santi Maria does not ensure your eternal salvation, heretic? Your eternal salvation, which is worth more than any material possession you may have?

We had dungeons full of blasphemers who have dared the same insinuation. In the fullness of time, they all saw the light and recanted, whether in life or in death.

edit: 2000th anniversary of the topic.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The Will to Power

Tensions across the human sphere rose during the period of 349-355AU. Greater prosperity was in evidence, throughout, but a great deal of capital was funnelled into meaty military contracts. Both Space and AFC were seriously bolstered. The Commonwealth was, by this point, spending some 9% of its GDP on defence related budgetary items, whereas the much larger Respublica only slightly edged that figure, with 10.2% expenditure. The ideological foes were evenly matched; a potential Respublican Goliath against the Commo's burgeoning David. Events seemed to be slowly coalescing into real danger, when a strange twist disrupted the proceedings. A small flotilla of Raumeni vessels began raiding several de-facto independent human worlds, near the territorial boundary between the two races. At first chalked up to opportunistic banditry, both Marianite and Commonwealth intelligence services were soon reporting that a Hin'in hand was guiding the bugs.

Curiously absent from human affairs for half a century, it seemed as if they were finally taking an interest in the holdings of former Codexianity. Not only were the Raumeni involved reputedly from a client clan, they were also based out of a local Hin'in stronghold. It's where their logistical trail ended, in any case. The Raumeni marauders, however, were not causing a great deal of damage or loss of life, and the human response was correspondingly muted. At least, that stood until the Raumeni occupied Schadenfreude, a colonial outpost home to some eighty thousand humans, early in 356AU. The Commonwealth almost immediately dispatched forces to evict the Raumeni, as per their policy on 'neutral' human worlds outside of Respublican territory. Expecting to present a simple 'cease and desist' show of force to a weaker foe, the fine men and women of the 80th Battlegroup walked directly into a holocaust of fire. Within hours of arriving in-system, the entire formation of some forty vessels was annihilated.

The Hin'in responsible immediately claimed the right of self-defence, and insisted that they were simply there to protect a legitimate Raumeni colonial effort on a disputed world. To effect that protection, they had brought with them almost a hundred and fifty vessels of all types. Their declaration of war against the Commonwealth was soon forthcoming. The claims laid out therein stipulated that the entire belt of the disputed worlds near the Raumeni border were, in actuality, Raumeni worlds 'stolen' by the treacherous humans. It was thinly veiled and implausible, but the Hin'in leaders did not have to justify themselves to their lessers in the general population. They instructed, and the pack followed. Though the declaration of war was made only against the Commonwealth, the situation is a most delicate one for the Respublica, too. While the Commo put their mobilization plan into action and pulled forces away from the Respublican border in order to constitute their fleets (for action against the Hin'in), the war signified both threat and opportunity for the Marianites.

It seems quite likely that, alone, the Commonwealth will suffer defeat against the Hin'in. Given their stated objectives, it seems quite unlikely, on the other hand, that the Hin'in will attempt to take over the Commonwealth outright. But what if that is simply a cover for a methodical conquest of human space, generally? What is to be our approach?

Do you... decree that the Commonwealth stands and fights alone? Once their fleet is destroyed (after all, how can they hope to combat the Hin'in without assistance?), we can far more easily 'reintegrate' the fools into our proud and beneficent Respublica. We will keep our fleets in condition to resist the Hin'in, too, if it comes to that. Divide and Conquer, as Caesar would say!

OR

Do you... jump into the conflict on the Commonwealth's side? How dare these disgusting xenoforms take human populations captive, in the throes of their lust for power? They will be made to pay for besmirching human dignity! Also, if the Commonwealth falls, how far behind is the Respublica? We are human brothers, under a human banner, against an alien void!

OR

Do you... jump into the conflict, but AGAINST the Commonwealth? Faced with a two-front war, their collapse would be swift and assured. The Hin'in can take the scant few worlds they have claimed. We will take the heretics' worlds. Tomorrow, we will be that much stronger, so as to wage holy war against the xenos.

If one thing is certain about the hin'in, it is that they will not stop at the commonwealth. It has long ago been proven that they systematically occupy all of their neighbors, and if we let them take the commonwealth we WILL be next.

I could write a paragraph or two about how allying with the commos will forge brotherly bonds between our people, but I won't since the course of action is so obvious: Anything but allying with our human brothers against the alien psyker is high treason!

Obvious B is obvious

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom