Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

laclongquan

Arcane
The condition is that we fight seperately but share intels. The contested piece of estate is Commonwealth, so win or lose there doesnt affect us much. WHat is important is win this theatre of war. Which mean crush Hiin logistical base.

Analyse further, even if we jump in the odds change to 10:9, too even for my taste. History prove that the Hiin can compete with us on that kind of odds so such battles degenerate into bloodfest. Lets avoid old mistakes.

Evenmore, there's a chance this is a trap for us, Marianite fleet. We jump in and there's a chance the Hiin will send in their own reserve. Who commit reserve last win. So jump in immediately is bad move.

This is Commo system so their fleet doesnt have option of playing tag with Hiin. If Hiin move in a threatening way toward planets, Commo have no choice but to move back against them. So I wouldnt count on them dance around with the system's safety.

All in all, the most sound strategy is massed together a strong fleet and crush their base. We will count on Commo fleet to hold their attention away from ours for a while.

I am not too afraid of Hiin scout finding us. Their main strength is committed in that battle anyway, so to counter us they cant just withdraw them.

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD :D

Considering on that we have agreed to exchange intel with the Commonwealth, yet will fight seperately...

C is the right decision. If we break our word this quickly they will trust us less in the future, and if we don't mention that we will be able to smash the Hin'in in a counterattack the Commonwealth may decide to flee rather than try to hold - ruining our plan. 'A' is not advantageous for us, as we want the Commonwealth to be in a weaker state after this war than we are, so letting them take the firt blows is a smart plan.

Edit

Hmm... I've been convinced that D is the better option. Death or glory!

wjw

Augur
As far as the Hi'in are concerned, they have little to no idea how our relations with the commons are...

We should exploit this secret... and use it to gain the greatet SOCIAL effect. What if we jump in the system with 80 ships and crush the xeno scum... then the Commos will say: thank you, now fuck off...

GREAT! If that's what we want vote A or B...

If however we want to do something decisive... C or D remain.
C is not really a great tactical move... i mean the Hi'in will understand the evasive strategy after about... 3 minutes... so chances of succes are somewhere between 0,001 % and 0,002 %... So if you want absolutely no gain, vote C!

Which leaves us with the beautifull option D. I wont lie. We will loose ALOT... Many will die. And i really mean... many! Probably more than half our fleet... or more... But our army wants to fight agressive... so their moral is okay. We shouldn't be afraid of desertion. The losses will harden the survivors further. And the ultimate destruction of the Hi'in base will boost our moral and hearts. The Commo's will be impressed by our strong will... and might just as well slowly succumb to our GODLY NATION....

So... holy comrades... do not postpone the inevitable... let us bring Holy judgement to that xeno-base!

D

Maria

Novice
The real choice is between B or D my fellow Marianites. Choosing A will cost us many faithful lives and as already stated the Hin has crushed us before on equal odds.
If we choose C, the Hin will win and we will jump directly into their unopposed fleet. The Hin has crushed us like that before.
Hitting the Hin in the rear with our mighty armada might produce good results but hitting their supply centers is a new and daring move they surely don't expect.

The battle of Sonata will be lost and many possible converts for my loving flock will die but we simply cannot pass on a juicy attack into the hart of Hin's supply.
Hit them where it hurts, in the gut!
D

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Looking over the options, A and C look like Bad Ideas. We've had bad experiences rushing in against the Hi'in in the past, which rules out A. C is even worse -- Not only will we rely on the Hi'in not intercepting our communications, but also we'd be relying on the Commies not to soil their pants, turn tail and run.

The choice then is between B and D. Staying back and amassing a proper fleet seems the way to go. While the Hi'in are the worst of alien scum, deserving only the purifying flame, I see no reason we should sacrifice the lives of the faithful needlessly to strenghten the commie scum.

All in all, the solution is obvious. Let the commies show they are not spineless and defend themselves, while we amass a proper amarda. Then, when the commies are just about to break, we will arrive in a blaze of glory, the avenging angels of humanity. Not only will this monimize the loss of our personnel. Timed correctly, the image will be a powerful propaganda tool amongst the unwashed heathens. Gentlemen, if we do this correctly, we will minimize our losses, crush the Hi'in, and possibly convert a large contigent of commies to the Light of holy Santi Maria.

The risk is high. If the commies break early, or if they have the same idea as we do, it could all turn into one great big clusterfuck. But the rewards if we're successful seem to make the risk worthwhile.

Option B it is

laclongquan

Arcane
Oh please. YA all acting high and mighty and righteous, as if in your heart and your lung the idea of Reconquista II doesnt beat loudly. And you think Commo doesnt know that. Too naive of you.

I like efficient war and victorious battles. Political changes can wait. And that;s all there is to say.

Nickless

Educated
I don't know what to do in this situation. On one hand, the previous Hin'in strategy has been to divide and conquer their enemies, if we act in an unfaithful way to the Commos with option C or D, then we could very well see war on two fronts, as we did with the Ramen centuries ago. On the other hand, there's very little to be gained relatively with option A or B...

Right now I'm in favour of B or D... What do you guys think of this all being a Hin'in ploy to destabalise our alliance? They just had to strike the Commos at a location bordering our own territory. Consider that they may very well have Ramen advisers on human behaviour and capability (Ramen are long-lived).

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Given that at the time of writing, the votes are 0 for a, 8 for b, 1 for c and 4 for d, I think the general consensus is to play this one (fairly) straight.

D *is* a very tempting option, but we've seen how the Hi'in thrive on mistrust and seperation. B is an olive branch of sorts, that shouldn't cost us too dearly and may help us stave off the division that was the death of the Raumen.

If we knew more, I could be swayed to D. But without having a solid notion of 1) How many ships the Hi'in would have at their staging point and 2) How much we'd be likely to gain by attacking it, there's simply not enough going for D to justify the risk of the Commies turning this into a 3-sided war out of mistrust.

Luan

Educated
D! If commies can't understand the need for secrecy and the greater good of it, then that's too bad for them! Just like they are blind to our glory!

Radech

Augur
torn between C & D, A has little risk and no gain, B has more risk and some gain, C is the safe option, but if things go wrong losses will be on our(well the commos) side, D is a delicious gamble, and a way to weaken both the commo and the hin'in. not sure if it's 80 ships or a 180 ships we are sending though, if it's only 80 we could do a D and a delayed B.

oh well C isn't going anywhere so it's another one for D

wjw

Augur
Okay. It's 8 votes for B and... 7 for D!

Those who have to be swayed...
Vote D! Ofcourse the Hi'in base is protected! It's gonna be well protected by at least a 100 vessels. Perhaps more... Only one way to find out.

What if there is a massive fleet hovering at that base? And those 200 vessels are just recon? Then we have gained crucial information, and should make ready for a large exodus.

What if we catch the Hi'in base poorly defended? Then we know that they have difficulties keeping control over the Raumen territory. Which gives us the option to harass them further and incite revolution in Raumen territory so the xeno's start killing eachother.

What if the base is well defended... Well then we are up for a though and long battle...

INFORMATION is everything! And far more important in this fase of the war than anything else... By just helping the commo's we will gain a small victory... Huzzah. But no information.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You want your gambit? Take it. Let's see how it works out.

Flip-flopped to D.

laclongquan

Arcane
Look, it's a nodal base, not a central base.

If a nodal base got 300~ vessels just so they could send 200 out as a raiding fleet, we damn well better should find out now, because that mean the Hiin got superior quantity. And that mean we are so screwed it's not funny.

My guts tell me otherwise though. They cant have more than 250. It's a safe number, 4 attack : 1defend. And they got good intelligence to send out a force outnumber the commo 2:1. That's enough to win a hit and run operation, not enough to hold (for holding, it's 3:1 or better). They got good intel, they are confident of winning, the only thing they dont expect is a counter raid of our own.

Face it, it's a risky strategy for us, with heavy responsibility put on Commo, but it's a winning thing.

Conkrete Knight

Educated
D

Political shitstorm and potential break up of alliance incoming, but why should we care.

Other options might have paved the way for an peaceful annexation(as in: peasant uprising) due to an influx of popularity in the lower strata of Commo-society, but hey, why care?

Lets break something, shall we?

And lets hope this isn't a trap.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
D - Donaroriak
B - herostratus
B - Sergiu64
D - laclongquan
B - taplonaplo
B - anus_pounder
D - wjw
D - Sonata
B - Azira
B - Ulminati
B - juggernaut
D - Luan
D - Radech
D - BethesdaLove
D - treave
D - praetor
D - Conkrete Knight
D - root

D takes it. Update is forthcoming, over the next nine hours or so.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The Barbarian said:
-1 vote for D; D still takes it.

Excellent, excellent.

I was really torn between the more sensible option B and the Magnificent Bastardry of D. This way, I get to see the results of one and get to say "It wasn't my fault! I voted B!" if it all goes to hell.
:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom