Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Codexian Saga LP

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by The Barbarian, May 8, 2010.

1. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    I have a VERY bad feeling about this.

^ Top  
  2. Korgan Arbiter

Korgan
    CONAN! WHERE IS TEH GRAFIX?

^ Top  
  3. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Here you go

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  4. Donaroriak Augur

Donaroriak
    Project: Eternity
    Let us pool our resources with the heathens behind the scenes, and each can guard their own borders...
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  5. The Barbarian Liturgist

The Barbarian
    A Space Sonata

The decision to fight a defensive campaign against the hated Hin'in could never have been an easy one for the Marianite elite. Nonetheless, they committed themselves to it, remembering the days of yore when their grandfathers and their great-grandfathers were dying under Hin'in cannon fire; the victims of an ill-advised death grapple across the Raumeni territories. As strategy went, it seemed relatively sound. After all, it would force the traditionally 'counter-punching' Hin'in into fighting an offensive war. They were the masters of the backhanded slap, but the General Staff remained unconvinced that they could translate that talent into true offensive flair. As the first weeks of the war dragged on uneventfully, some even began wondering whether or not the Hin'in would even move beyond commerce raiding and the occupation of a scant few outlying Commonwealth holdings. What if the grand struggle became nothing but a phony war, in which neither side dared engage?

Luckily, perhaps, they did not have to wonder overlong. On 5th June 356AU, a Hin'in fleet of some two hundred vessels jumped into Sonata. The local AFC forces consisted of 17th Battlegroup, 23rd 'Green-Gold' Battlegroup and 81st 'Hammer of Leonid' Battlegroup. That is to say, roughly one hundred vessels of all types. The Hin'in armada likely represents the bulk of their strategic strength in the active theater of operations. They have seemingly elected to crush the AFC piece-meal, by segmenting it into more easily digestible 'chunks'. The looming Battle of Sonata will likely prove pivotal in the future conduct of this war. As fortune would have it, the leadership of Space - in their infinite wisdom - has allocated a very serious force (eighty vessels) within easy jumping distance of Sonata. Further reinforcements of some one hundred vessels can reach the system within two weeks.

The situation, such as it is, affords the Venerable Respublica both opportunity and danger - maybe in equal measure. Hin'in tactical knowledge will be poor to middling, as they have no spies or existing infrastructure to precisely determine the disposition of human forces, as they so capably did during their previous, 2nd century conflict. Speculation it might be, but it is highly likely they are not aware of the proximity of Respublican forces, or their extent. The General Staff needs to consider the potential of this scenario carefully. The options, after all, are manifold. Should the Respublica commit its strength early? Or should it wait, and hope that the AFC can hold out as Space masses for the counter-offensive?

Do you... order the eighty nearby ships to jump in immediately and help the AFC defend Sonata from the Hin'in? Not only will it be great propaganda - win or lose - but it also gives the AFC forces the best chance of holding the system, Generals! Think of the wider conflict, please! If we cannot hold the line here, our epitaph awaits.

OR

Do you... order the nearby ships to jump in immediately, but to fight this battle independently? Generals, we can catch these filthy xeno rats tactically unawares. While they maneuver their forces against the heathen, we will stay out of sensor range. Then, when they commit to a set-piece battle... so shall we. We can crush them between hammer and anvil! They will never see it coming!

OR

Do you... order the nearby vessels to wait? Tell the Commos that help is on its way, and that they must fight the battle evasively and defensively. If they stay in open space, they should be able to play cat and mouse with the rats, until we have another hundred ships in place. Then, dear Generals, we jump in and clean house... It is a simple, beautiful plan.

OR

Do you... order the nearby ships to wait? Say nothing to the Commos - the communication might be intercepted anyway. Instead, mass our fleet secretly. While the AFC rushes forces in and the Hin'in crush them in Sonata, we can take the battle to the enemy, operationally. Mass the fleet and then hit the Hin'in jump-off point. Smash their theater logistical hub. We can exploit their rear echelons ruthlessly and decide the campaign, if not the war! Think of the possibilities!

^ Top  
  6. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
  7. Donaroriak Augur

Donaroriak
    Project: Eternity
    I, the newest addition to the General Staff, High Priestess Donna Roriak, am happy to be swayed by the consensus and flip-flop in favor of option
    D

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  8. Brotherman Bill Arcane

Brotherman Bill
    The hin'in are jumpy, like pidgeons. They will not stay long enough in one place to meet us in honorable battle. As such time is of the essence, and waiting too long to do anything - like in option C and B - is out of question. Also both of the mentioned options is reliant upon a lot of fairly risky assumptions:
    C, that the commonwealth is able to hold the line - we cannot know this, and one should never base ones battle plan entirely on the strenght of someone else. They should be able to fight evasively and defensively, but then they should have been marianites as well, but we saw how that went didn't we?

D, That a hin'in scout doesn't find our ships. IF they do - and we must consider this a possibility - our entire plan is fucked, and we will look useless.

A might be the low-risk low-reward option, but it is only marginally less risky than B. I mean, if 80 ships reinforce the Sonata the hin will not be able to take it even if we fight independently of the defenders. And they will never be able to hold it anyways, with reinforcements so close. On the other hand we might be able to crush their attacking fleet completely, a strategically superior option.

So, B it is.

^ Top  
  9. Sergiu64 Arcane

Sergiu64
    I vote B... If we can force a decisive win here the hin'in will find it hard to convince their citizenry to continue the conflict. Option B seems like it has the best chance of doing that as option D risks pissing off the Hin'in too much and option C is too likely to backfire.

^ Top  
  10. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    The condition is that we fight seperately but share intels. The contested piece of estate is Commonwealth, so win or lose there doesnt affect us much. WHat is important is win this theatre of war. Which mean crush Hiin logistical base.

Analyse further, even if we jump in the odds change to 10:9, too even for my taste. History prove that the Hiin can compete with us on that kind of odds so such battles degenerate into bloodfest. Lets avoid old mistakes.

Evenmore, there's a chance this is a trap for us, Marianite fleet. We jump in and there's a chance the Hiin will send in their own reserve. Who commit reserve last win. So jump in immediately is bad move.

This is Commo system so their fleet doesnt have option of playing tag with Hiin. If Hiin move in a threatening way toward planets, Commo have no choice but to move back against them. So I wouldnt count on them dance around with the system's safety.

All in all, the most sound strategy is massed together a strong fleet and crush their base. We will count on Commo fleet to hold their attention away from ours for a while.

I am not too afraid of Hiin scout finding us. Their main strength is committed in that battle anyway, so to counter us they cant just withdraw them.

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD :D

^ Top  
  11. taplonaplo Scholar

taplonaplo
    B, we should live with the element of surprise while we have it.

^ Top  
  12. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    I have a VERY bad feeling about this.

B!

^ Top  
  13. Undead Phoenix Arcane

Undead Phoenix
    Considering on that we have agreed to exchange intel with the Commonwealth, yet will fight seperately...

C is the right decision. If we break our word this quickly they will trust us less in the future, and if we don't mention that we will be able to smash the Hin'in in a counterattack the Commonwealth may decide to flee rather than try to hold - ruining our plan. 'A' is not advantageous for us, as we want the Commonwealth to be in a weaker state after this war than we are, so letting them take the firt blows is a smart plan.

Edit

Hmm... I've been convinced that D is the better option. Death or glory!

^ Top  
  14. wjw Augur

wjw
    As far as the Hi'in are concerned, they have little to no idea how our relations with the commons are...

We should exploit this secret... and use it to gain the greatet SOCIAL effect. What if we jump in the system with 80 ships and crush the xeno scum... then the Commos will say: thank you, now fuck off...

GREAT! If that's what we want vote A or B...

If however we want to do something decisive... C or D remain.
    C is not really a great tactical move... i mean the Hi'in will understand the evasive strategy after about... 3 minutes... so chances of succes are somewhere between 0,001 % and 0,002 %... So if you want absolutely no gain, vote C!

Which leaves us with the beautifull option D. I wont lie. We will loose ALOT... Many will die. And i really mean... many! Probably more than half our fleet... or more... But our army wants to fight agressive... so their moral is okay. We shouldn't be afraid of desertion. The losses will harden the survivors further. And the ultimate destruction of the Hi'in base will boost our moral and hearts. The Commo's will be impressed by our strong will... and might just as well slowly succumb to our GODLY NATION....

So... holy comrades... do not postpone the inevitable... let us bring Holy judgement to that xeno-base!

D

^ Top  
  15. Maria Novice

Maria
    The real choice is between B or D my fellow Marianites. Choosing A will cost us many faithful lives and as already stated the Hin has crushed us before on equal odds.
    If we choose C, the Hin will win and we will jump directly into their unopposed fleet. The Hin has crushed us like that before.
    Hitting the Hin in the rear with our mighty armada might produce good results but hitting their supply centers is a new and daring move they surely don't expect.

The battle of Sonata will be lost and many possible converts for my loving flock will die but we simply cannot pass on a juicy attack into the hart of Hin's supply.
    Hit them where it hurts, in the gut!
    D

^ Top  
  16. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    B

^ Top  
  17. The Barbarian Liturgist

The Barbarian
    The Barbarian will keep voting open for another twenty four hours.

^ Top  
  18. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Looking over the options, A and C look like Bad Ideas. We've had bad experiences rushing in against the Hi'in in the past, which rules out A. C is even worse -- Not only will we rely on the Hi'in not intercepting our communications, but also we'd be relying on the Commies not to soil their pants, turn tail and run.

The choice then is between B and D. Staying back and amassing a proper fleet seems the way to go. While the Hi'in are the worst of alien scum, deserving only the purifying flame, I see no reason we should sacrifice the lives of the faithful needlessly to strenghten the commie scum.

All in all, the solution is obvious. Let the commies show they are not spineless and defend themselves, while we amass a proper amarda. Then, when the commies are just about to break, we will arrive in a blaze of glory, the avenging angels of humanity. Not only will this monimize the loss of our personnel. Timed correctly, the image will be a powerful propaganda tool amongst the unwashed heathens. Gentlemen, if we do this correctly, we will minimize our losses, crush the Hi'in, and possibly convert a large contigent of commies to the Light of holy Santi Maria.

The risk is high. If the commies break early, or if they have the same idea as we do, it could all turn into one great big clusterfuck. But the rewards if we're successful seem to make the risk worthwhile.

Option B it is

^ Top  
  19. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Oh please. YA all acting high and mighty and righteous, as if in your heart and your lung the idea of Reconquista II doesnt beat loudly. And you think Commo doesnt know that. Too naive of you.

I like efficient war and victorious battles. Political changes can wait. And that;s all there is to say.

^ Top  
  20. juggernaut Educated

juggernaut
  21. Nickless Educated

Nickless
    I don't know what to do in this situation. On one hand, the previous Hin'in strategy has been to divide and conquer their enemies, if we act in an unfaithful way to the Commos with option C or D, then we could very well see war on two fronts, as we did with the Ramen centuries ago. On the other hand, there's very little to be gained relatively with option A or B...

Right now I'm in favour of B or D... What do you guys think of this all being a Hin'in ploy to destabalise our alliance? They just had to strike the Commos at a location bordering our own territory. Consider that they may very well have Ramen advisers on human behaviour and capability (Ramen are long-lived).

^ Top  
  22. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Given that at the time of writing, the votes are 0 for a, 8 for b, 1 for c and 4 for d, I think the general consensus is to play this one (fairly) straight.

D *is* a very tempting option, but we've seen how the Hi'in thrive on mistrust and seperation. B is an olive branch of sorts, that shouldn't cost us too dearly and may help us stave off the division that was the death of the Raumen.

If we knew more, I could be swayed to D. But without having a solid notion of 1) How many ships the Hi'in would have at their staging point and 2) How much we'd be likely to gain by attacking it, there's simply not enough going for D to justify the risk of the Commies turning this into a 3-sided war out of mistrust.

^ Top  
  23. Luan Educated

Luan
    D! If commies can't understand the need for secrecy and the greater good of it, then that's too bad for them! Just like they are blind to our glory!

^ Top  
  24. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Flip flop to D everyone! For the glory of Codexia! Underhanded tactics for the win!

^ Top  
  25. Radech Augur

Radech
    torn between C & D, A has little risk and no gain, B has more risk and some gain, C is the safe option, but if things go wrong losses will be on our(well the commos) side, D is a delicious gamble, and a way to weaken both the commo and the hin'in. not sure if it's 80 ships or a 180 ships we are sending though, if it's only 80 we could do a D and a delayed B.

oh well C isn't going anywhere so it's another one for D

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.