Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
CB

Let us show them our other honour!

However, the cowardly and misguided Commonwealth dare not commit their forces to full battle against the Hin'in at this stage. If we go on the offensive, I currently do not trust the Commonwealth to watch our backs like we would have guarded theirs - in fact, their alien-infested government is likely to betray us to the foul psychics in some duplicitous attempt at gaining peace for themselves. They have yet to see the light, for now, so let us act cautiously in battle while we drum up internal support for our first, glorious step to shining martyrdom.

With regards to the sharing of logistics and intelligence, this will only aid us. We are fighting a defensive campaign after all, and will need all the intelligence we can get from the enemy. Our Marianite faithful are too honest and upright to be good spies. Let the deceitful, scheming apostates do the spying for us.

Luan

Educated
Go ahead and flip flop gentlmen.

B B!

With a defensive mindset, we will not have to worry so much about the commonwealth watching our backs.

Nickless

Educated
I'm particularly hesitant about CB and BB. We need to consider that the threat we currently face is superior to us in terms of size, support, (technology?) and strategic capability. The enemy was able to outmaneuver a united Old Republic, if we want to have any hope of defeating them now, we will need a fully coordinated force; I'm sure we can benefit from the Commonwealth's scientists and free thinkers in this struggle, as they can benefit from our military force and united solidarity. I feel our social structure is stable enough that we can get away with a joint effort. So my vote is AB, willing to flip-flop to AA, CB or CA in descending order of preference, unless someone provides a decent argument that persuades me otherwise.

treave said:
CB

Let us show them our other honour!

However, the cowardly and misguided Commonwealth dare not commit their forces to full battle against the Hin'in at this stage. If we go on the offensive, I currently do not trust the Commonwealth to watch our backs like we would have guarded theirs - in fact, their alien-infested government is likely to betray us to the foul psychics in some duplicitous attempt at gaining peace for themselves. They have yet to see the light, for now, so let us act cautiously in battle while we drum up internal support for our first, glorious step to shining martyrdom.

With regards to the sharing of logistics and intelligence, this will only aid us. We are fighting a defensive campaign after all, and will need all the intelligence we can get from the enemy. Our Marianite faithful are too honest and upright to be good spies. Let the deceitful, scheming apostates do the spying for us.
This.
Voting CB

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There's no telling if the Commonwealth will want to cooperate with us at this point, though, or if our troops can work effectively together with the apostates. Our mindset is different enough from them that I can see operational issues on the field popping up, not to mention the possible morale drop from our troops having to listen to a Commo lackey for some missions.

It's best to operate autonomously. By sharing intelligence we should be able to muster up enough coordination to not get in each other's way. That will suffice for this early stage of the war while we probe to see if there have been any advances in Hin'in technology and tactics. The Hin'in fleet number about twelve hundred in the area - that's as much as both the Respublica and Commonwealth combined. However, they only have three hundred in the current theatre of operations. The Commonwealth should be able to handle those if they have to, with their six hundred vessels.

If the Hin'in are foolish enough to commit their entire Raumen Occupation fleet into combat with the Codexians then they may risk an uprising in Raumen space. This is a defensive war for now, we should only need to worry about the full 1200 vessel complement plus the Raumen ships they are able to muster if we start pushing into the Raumen territories. If we can lure in their ships and destroy them while not making any advances in territory, all the better.

I see that the heathens have alread managed to infiltrate high into Codexian society, pray Santi Maria is merciful, as you deserve a slow death for your heresy :decline:

The logical strategy is BB letting the Commonwealth take most losses, but I vote CA, make the Xeno tremble in fear at the full glory of Holy Codexia and show the Commonwealth the righteousness of our ways!

laclongquan

Arcane
The Commo wont commit full strength against Hiin because they need a reserve for OUR invasion. If you think any rightminded cautious guy would ignore a rabid fanatic neighbour and underestimate his aggression you are mistaken. THey fear very rightly that we will jump them the moment they press full attack, so I bet that a sizable fleet stationed near our border to deter our adventurism.

My full strength head-on offensive also serve as a hidden unsaid commitment that we wont invade them in near future. Talk all you want but when we battle with Hiin all day long we wont have energy to attack our brothers the Commo.

wjw

Augur
BB

Our attacks should be guided by the Holy hand... Not by some agreement with the heathens! And the current Hi'in border movements seem like a trap/or information fase to me... I think they want to see how we (the heathens and us) plan to work together, so they can alter their xeno strategy...

@Nickless... know your history! The united old Republic was fully capable of destroying the Hi'in if not for the Common Wealth to wage a civil war! Goddamn heathen scum.

However we should look for unconventional strategy's if we want to pull this one off... Perhaps we should hire some Xeno-Dragons... or send some explorers to far off planets... hoping to find ancient super weapons.

Conkrete Knight

Educated
I do not like our situation here at all.
My plan was a an all out cooperation to crush what rightly should be crushed, believing that military comradice would overwrite our differences like their petty idea of human rights.
Stupid idea, whoever would have control over the final decision would seek to weaken the other.
We could have avoided this by sitting and waiting, making them an offer they could not refuse.
I did however not see this soon enough.
The only prudent choice is the limited cooperation, a unified chain of command would lead to internal struggles, a completely divided war effort would be to ineffective for our own right.

Now, what are our oiptions?
Attacking would probably lead to our doom, however there is the small chance off the Bugs rebelling once again, they have tried it before haven't they?
That could very well turn the tide.
Should they however achieve freedom they would most like be of more use to the commos, as we, well hate their Xeno asses.

Waiting has one very big disadvantage: We look like Polland and France in WW2, fighting a purely reactive war.
This could however by us time and lead to what we need: The Deus Ex Machina, kill all Hin'in in one big swoop!

tl;dr: We are probably doomed, fighting divided against a superior foe.

As for choices: C for strategy, as for campaign I do not know yet and might never know

The Barbarian

Liturgist
BB - Azira
BB - juggernaut
CB - Ulminati
CB - anus_pounder
CB - treave
BB - Luan
AB - Nickless
CB - herostratus
CA - Undead Phoenix
CB - Sergiu64
BB - BethesdaLove
CB - taplonaplo
BA - Dragula
CB - Back to sportforredneck
CB - praetor
CA - root
BB - wjw
BA - laclongquan

BB = 5
CB = 8
AB = 1
BA = 2
CA = 2

Winner = CB

Update will either be in a few hours, or tomorrow.

EDIT:

Tomorrow it is. The Barbarian's iron will failed him this night.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Korgan said:
CONAN! WHERE IS TEH GRAFIX?

Here you go

john_blanche_battlefleet_gothic.jpg

Donaroriak

Augur
Project: Eternity
Let us pool our resources with the heathens behind the scenes, and each can guard their own borders...
Asterixcover-asterix_and_the_goths.jpg

The Barbarian

Liturgist
A Space Sonata

The decision to fight a defensive campaign against the hated Hin'in could never have been an easy one for the Marianite elite. Nonetheless, they committed themselves to it, remembering the days of yore when their grandfathers and their great-grandfathers were dying under Hin'in cannon fire; the victims of an ill-advised death grapple across the Raumeni territories. As strategy went, it seemed relatively sound. After all, it would force the traditionally 'counter-punching' Hin'in into fighting an offensive war. They were the masters of the backhanded slap, but the General Staff remained unconvinced that they could translate that talent into true offensive flair. As the first weeks of the war dragged on uneventfully, some even began wondering whether or not the Hin'in would even move beyond commerce raiding and the occupation of a scant few outlying Commonwealth holdings. What if the grand struggle became nothing but a phony war, in which neither side dared engage?

Luckily, perhaps, they did not have to wonder overlong. On 5th June 356AU, a Hin'in fleet of some two hundred vessels jumped into Sonata. The local AFC forces consisted of 17th Battlegroup, 23rd 'Green-Gold' Battlegroup and 81st 'Hammer of Leonid' Battlegroup. That is to say, roughly one hundred vessels of all types. The Hin'in armada likely represents the bulk of their strategic strength in the active theater of operations. They have seemingly elected to crush the AFC piece-meal, by segmenting it into more easily digestible 'chunks'. The looming Battle of Sonata will likely prove pivotal in the future conduct of this war. As fortune would have it, the leadership of Space - in their infinite wisdom - has allocated a very serious force (eighty vessels) within easy jumping distance of Sonata. Further reinforcements of some one hundred vessels can reach the system within two weeks.

The situation, such as it is, affords the Venerable Respublica both opportunity and danger - maybe in equal measure. Hin'in tactical knowledge will be poor to middling, as they have no spies or existing infrastructure to precisely determine the disposition of human forces, as they so capably did during their previous, 2nd century conflict. Speculation it might be, but it is highly likely they are not aware of the proximity of Respublican forces, or their extent. The General Staff needs to consider the potential of this scenario carefully. The options, after all, are manifold. Should the Respublica commit its strength early? Or should it wait, and hope that the AFC can hold out as Space masses for the counter-offensive?

Do you... order the eighty nearby ships to jump in immediately and help the AFC defend Sonata from the Hin'in? Not only will it be great propaganda - win or lose - but it also gives the AFC forces the best chance of holding the system, Generals! Think of the wider conflict, please! If we cannot hold the line here, our epitaph awaits.

OR

Do you... order the nearby ships to jump in immediately, but to fight this battle independently? Generals, we can catch these filthy xeno rats tactically unawares. While they maneuver their forces against the heathen, we will stay out of sensor range. Then, when they commit to a set-piece battle... so shall we. We can crush them between hammer and anvil! They will never see it coming!

OR

Do you... order the nearby vessels to wait? Tell the Commos that help is on its way, and that they must fight the battle evasively and defensively. If they stay in open space, they should be able to play cat and mouse with the rats, until we have another hundred ships in place. Then, dear Generals, we jump in and clean house... It is a simple, beautiful plan.

OR

Do you... order the nearby ships to wait? Say nothing to the Commos - the communication might be intercepted anyway. Instead, mass our fleet secretly. While the AFC rushes forces in and the Hin'in crush them in Sonata, we can take the battle to the enemy, operationally. Mass the fleet and then hit the Hin'in jump-off point. Smash their theater logistical hub. We can exploit their rear echelons ruthlessly and decide the campaign, if not the war! Think of the possibilities!

Donaroriak

Augur
Project: Eternity
I, the newest addition to the General Staff, High Priestess Donna Roriak, am happy to be swayed by the consensus and flip-flop in favor of option
D

explosionPlanet.jpg

The hin'in are jumpy, like pidgeons. They will not stay long enough in one place to meet us in honorable battle. As such time is of the essence, and waiting too long to do anything - like in option C and B - is out of question. Also both of the mentioned options is reliant upon a lot of fairly risky assumptions:
C, that the commonwealth is able to hold the line - we cannot know this, and one should never base ones battle plan entirely on the strenght of someone else. They should be able to fight evasively and defensively, but then they should have been marianites as well, but we saw how that went didn't we?

D, That a hin'in scout doesn't find our ships. IF they do - and we must consider this a possibility - our entire plan is fucked, and we will look useless.

A might be the low-risk low-reward option, but it is only marginally less risky than B. I mean, if 80 ships reinforce the Sonata the hin will not be able to take it even if we fight independently of the defenders. And they will never be able to hold it anyways, with reinforcements so close. On the other hand we might be able to crush their attacking fleet completely, a strategically superior option.

So, B it is.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I vote B... If we can force a decisive win here the hin'in will find it hard to convince their citizenry to continue the conflict. Option B seems like it has the best chance of doing that as option D risks pissing off the Hin'in too much and option C is too likely to backfire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom