Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Codexian Saga LP

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by The Barbarian, May 8, 2010.

1. BethesdaLove Arbiter

BethesdaLove
    D

^ Top  
  2. wjw Augur

wjw
    Okay. It's 8 votes for B and... 7 for D!

Those who have to be swayed...
    Vote D! Ofcourse the Hi'in base is protected! It's gonna be well protected by at least a 100 vessels. Perhaps more... Only one way to find out.

What if there is a massive fleet hovering at that base? And those 200 vessels are just recon? Then we have gained crucial information, and should make ready for a large exodus.

What if we catch the Hi'in base poorly defended? Then we know that they have difficulties keeping control over the Raumen territory. Which gives us the option to harass them further and incite revolution in Raumen territory so the xeno's start killing eachother.

What if the base is well defended... Well then we are up for a though and long battle...

INFORMATION is everything! And far more important in this fase of the war than anything else... By just helping the commo's we will gain a small victory... Huzzah. But no information.

^ Top  
  3. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You want your gambit? Take it. Let's see how it works out.

Flip-flopped to D.

^ Top  
  4. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Look, it's a nodal base, not a central base.

If a nodal base got 300~ vessels just so they could send 200 out as a raiding fleet, we damn well better should find out now, because that mean the Hiin got superior quantity. And that mean we are so screwed it's not funny.

My guts tell me otherwise though. They cant have more than 250. It's a safe number, 4 attack : 1defend. And they got good intelligence to send out a force outnumber the commo 2:1. That's enough to win a hit and run operation, not enough to hold (for holding, it's 3:1 or better). They got good intel, they are confident of winning, the only thing they dont expect is a counter raid of our own.

Face it, it's a risky strategy for us, with heavy responsibility put on Commo, but it's a winning thing.

^ Top  
  5. praetor Arcane

praetor
    War Marshall laclongquan is right. D!

^ Top  
  6. Conkrete Knight Educated

Conkrete Knight
    D

Political shitstorm and potential break up of alliance incoming, but why should we care.

Other options might have paved the way for an peaceful annexation(as in: peasant uprising) due to an influx of popularity in the lower strata of Commo-society, but hey, why care?

Lets break something, shall we?

And lets hope this isn't a trap.

^ Top  
  7. The Barbarian Liturgist

The Barbarian
    D - Donaroriak
    B - herostratus
    B - Sergiu64
    D - laclongquan
    B - taplonaplo
    B - anus_pounder
    D - wjw
    D - Sonata
    B - Azira
    B - Ulminati
    B - juggernaut
    D - Luan
    D - Radech
    D - BethesdaLove
    D - treave
    D - praetor
    D - Conkrete Knight
    D - root

D takes it. Update is forthcoming, over the next nine hours or so.

^ Top  
  8. The Barbarian Liturgist

The Barbarian
    Indeed, Conan was unsure whether or not to consider it a vote...

That's why you were last on that list.

-1 vote for D; D still takes it.

^ Top  
  9. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Excellent, excellent.

I was really torn between the more sensible option B and the Magnificent Bastardry of D. This way, I get to see the results of one and get to say "It wasn't my fault! I voted B!" if it all goes to hell.
    :smug:

^ Top  
  10. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Yep. I think The Respublica is pretty much doomed by now. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though. But it seems that every other time we vote for something, we go back on some decision we made in our past.

^ Top  
  11. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    You can lay the blame on the "I didn't vote for a theocracy so I want it to fail!" faction.

^ Top  
  12. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    He's a faction of one :P

^ Top  
  13. Undead Phoenix Arcane

Undead Phoenix
    Have a little faith

^ Top  
  14. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    I am head of that one.

Believe me when I said I will do many things to force this theoratical tyranny toward Neo Republica Codexia. But not at the cost of total ruins though. A small and weak NCR doesnt interest me.

^ Top  
  15. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    [​IMG]

HERETIC! HERETIC!

^ Top  
  16. The Barbarian Liturgist

The Barbarian
    The Sharp End

The Battle of Sonata was a disaster for the Commonwealth. In the first instance, it saw the virtual destruction of the 17th Battlegroup - as well as the brutal decimation of two others. Secondly, it saw one of the Commonwealth's major worlds fall to the Hin'in invader, with the all the loss of industry, commerce and manpower that entailed. Thirdly, and mayhap most damagingly, however, it also saw the first significant victory of the war for the humans. Unfortunately, it was to be credited solely to Marianite arms and ingenuity. There truly was no upside for the bedraggled Commos. When the Hin'in jumped into the system and proceeded to systematically maul the erstwhile defenders, the nearby Respublican forces chose not to render any assistance. Rather, they waited. And waited. And then waited some more.

Two weeks passed, during which time the Commos fought tooth and nail for Sonata, constantly sending out pleas for reinforcement, by every available means. These fell on deaf ears, in the case of the Respublicans. The latter, instead, massed all available local forces and struck out for the regional Hin'in logistics hub, known to be located on a lifeless rock named 'Modica', thanks to a spectacular tactical intelligence coup. The infrastructural set-up present on the dead world was extensive: the Hin'in had concentrated a large number of fuel tankers, repair tugs and even a nascent manufactory in orbit. The surface, for its part, played host to a major, yet obviously mobile docking complex. It was in fact a veritable fleet base, modularly constructed and capable of independent wyrmhole jumps. A marvel of engineering prowess and, worryingly, naked ambition. But it took barely two days to destroy.

The humans initially transitioned to the outer edges of the system, carefully cloaking the bulk of their two hundred-odd ship fleet. These vessels then moved into the system's interior slowly, making a beeline for the Hin'in hub, making certain that maximum advantage was gleaned from their Phyr-engineered stealth systems. A squadron of some twenty vessels guarded the complex. It was annihilated in short order. Powerful atomic, fusion and kinetic weapons savaged its relatively paltry defences, before shattering its extensive facilities. It was a triumph, at an absolutely minimal cost. And it left the Hin'in in an enormously difficult position. They could not hope to hold Sonata, removed as they were from their logistical network. Seemingly in dribs and drabs, the fleet that had weeks before won a major victory against the Commonwealth dissipated. There was obviously some disagreement in that fleet's hierarchy regarding how to best respond to the disastrous developments in question. Local observers even noted that several skirmishes took place, destroying upwards of ten Hin'in vessels.

Eventually, however, the armada broke apart. Convoys of vessels departed Sonata for different destinations, all in the Raumeni territories. However, as of early August, the AFC is yet to officially reclaim Sonata, still recovering from a bitter defeat and the disorganization that followed. The Marianites now face a choice.

Do you... order your triumphant fleet back? If we make for Sonata now, we can take it from the Commonwealth! Perhaps not 'legally', but possession is nine tenths of the law! If we land our crusaders and occupy the major population centres, what are they going to do about it? Shoot? Hah! Let us think past this conflict.

OR

Do you... order your forces to wait? We must reinforce what we have in Modica. Let us throw another one hundred vessels into the mix. Sure, we will be committing half our total strength, but if we build the critical mass we need, we can break the back of the Hin'in war effort, here and now! They do not have the forces to stop us.

OR

Do you... order your forces to now assault the jump-off point for the entire invasion? If we act QUICKLY, we can roll up this impudent scum all the way to the Raumeni boundary! Really show them how well righteous men fight! But we must act now. No pussyfooting around with reinforcements. Two hundred ships is more than enough.

OR

Do you... order that your forces split up into smaller taskforces and lead a multitude of attacks to further destabilize the Hin'in? We do not need one mailed fist to smash this enemy. We need the flexibility of fingers, to strike many targets at once and keep our foe from recuperating. Though not immediately decisive, the results could well make this conflict impossible for the Hin'in, without major reinforcement.

^ Top  
  17. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I vote D. Let's fight smart and fight well. This will be the Hin'in Vietnam.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. treave Arcane Patron

treave
    Codex 2012
    D.

We've seen that they have the potential to turn amongst themselves due to their innately alien and barbaric nature.

Draw them in and entice more reinforcements.

Of course, really, now that it has come to this we can kiss any idea of converting the Commonwealth goodbye. It will have to be done by the sword.

^ Top  
  19. Nickless Educated

Nickless
    D, guerrilla style. Weaken them slowly so that the Raumen rebel and do the hard work for us.

^ Top  
  20. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Not voting for now. I'm no military expert, I'll wait for the others to decide.

Also, this more or less signals the end of our intel share, I suspect.

^ Top  
  21. Nickless Educated

Nickless
    Although... Are we at a disadvantage with hit and run tactics on account of our wormhole technology, compared to FTL? Or does the fact that we can run away without leaving a trace put us more at an advantage? I'm aware that the hin'in use wormhole, but the Raumen certainly don't.

^ Top  
  22. Donaroriak Augur

Donaroriak
    Project: Eternity
    Good job on pushing difficult choices!
    The way those are phrased, none appears to be clearly superior to the others.
    C and D could cause us to spread too thin over the map.
    B looks like a setup for a hubris-driven backlash
    A seems nearsighted

Let's go with the long-run option and choose:
    D

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  23. Sergiu64 Arcane

Sergiu64
    Ummm, well it's what the Rebels were doing against the Empire in Star Wars universe. Similar to hit-n-run tactics everywhere else really, when the opponent's main force is too powerful for you it's best to avoid engagement against that force and instead test that force's ability to react to multiple threats by attacking everywhere at once and withdrawing before sufficient forces can respond at any one location. If you can do this effectively you'll be able to do great damage against opponent's supply chains while not exposing your forces to a whole lot of risk.

This assumes Hin'in aren't going to be better at this then we are, and that Hin'in aren't going to just gather a gigantic fleet and smash our worlds while ignoring the bee stings of our guerrilla warfare... That being said none of the other options sound good... A is just mean and leaves our backs exposed to a Hin'in counterattack. B makes a little sense as far as defending what we have, but given how effective Hin'in were at defeating the Commonwealth defense fleets I doubt that our fleet would have much success in "breaking the back of the Hin'in war effort". They definitely do have the forces to stop us as they did not lose all that many ships. C is tempting, but again I'm not sure we'll be successful and it might cause the Hin'in to commit their full might and that will end badly for us at this stage. So D seems like the best option since it's unlikely to get Hin'in to get angry enough to really think about annihilating us but will bog them down enough to where they cannot make further progress in the war.

Voting D.

^ Top  
  24. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    We have two choices in tactics: massed together in a strong mailed fist and smash their face or use multiple strike to jab at them. BUT Raumeni is master of hit and run and they are vanquished by the Hiin. Mindlink help too much in such battles. Massed together we can concentrate and make full use of our wormhole tech, as well as our stealth tech.

On strategy, I must counsel against occupy Sonata. For one thing, we dont have energy to occupy another hostile planet while we still have lots of murthering great space battles ahead. For another, it's too treacherous. We let our ally suffer greatly in the name of victory and then we turn around to stab them in the back. It's frankly too low. Are you really that ready to blacken the name of your theological tyranny?

So two best choice remain, wait to concentrate force even more or massed together to smashed straight to enemy's jump-off point.

Wait or Act?!?

TO recap, the 200 vessels represented Hiin main strategic strength in this theatre of war. They punch, we partially absorb and counter punch them hard. They are reeling and lack serious strength to commit further active operations. The time to smash them is now.

Risky, risky! But lets the dice fall where it may.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

^ Top  
  25. Radech Augur

Radech
    hmmm... maybe we disrupted their communication somehow, since they couldn't agree on a way to pull out and some even attacked each other. If this is the case this is definitely the way to go which i guess is C

Guerilla tactics are all fine and well for weakening and slowing an enemy during a defensive campaign, but are we satisfied with just making them bleed a little more than we do until they call it quits, let's see if we can really stick it to them. and massed attacks dropping out of nowhere has always been our strength.

So C it is for now, willing to flip-flip to B, quite satisfied with riding it out on D even though i have to question all D-voters sexuality ;)

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.