Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Crimson Diamond - inspired by The Colonel's Bequest

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
Observations after getting out of the first room:

- Nice if understated use of dithering so far :)
- LOOK and EXAMINE are two separate commands :(
- Unlike the later Sierra SCI games, no right-click to LOOK :argh:
- Like the Sierra games, hitting SPACE calls up but does not execute the previous command :hug:

Fictive Cunt

Novice
Unlike the later Sierra SCI games, no right-click to LOOK :argh:

This is kind of painful, but I don't remember it being a problem in the demo. I will always remember in King's Quest 4 when some dwarf left a bag of diamonds on the table, and for the life of me I thought it was a tiny hat. Nothing in the parser worked for me at all. Thank goodness for r-click to look.

I'lll pick this up and maybe if sales are good, Julia will be inspired to make p-n-c Diamond of Crimson-Ra in glorious VGA. :lol:

In other EGA news it looks like Betrayed Alliance has an update and that game is actually made in SCI for DOS. I completed the first edition, and then the graphics update, but the update had a soft-locking glitch on the final staircase sequence. Now on v1.3.3. Although I must say I prefer the first edition's graphics which aren't as intricate.

I must say parser is something I have to get used of first, being an exclusive point and click guy (yeah, I'm THAT young). The mouse controls could have been omitted completely imho, walking works more fluid with the cursor keys and the menu could have been used with them too. Plus the mouse looks strangely out of place, I don't know why. I'd have loved to play that beautiful game on my android tab via the AGS app, alas that's almost impossible with the heavy use of the keyboard. Anyway, it's a classic game so I guess it should be enjoyed the most classic way anyway: On the heavy rig.

Last edited:
Played for an hour this evening. Really enjoying it so far. It's a very clear and loving homage to Colonel's Bequest, albeit quite a bit easier and more handholdy. That last bit is a small disappointment, but I think it's probably a necessity if you don't want to destroy your Steam user reviews rating. Also likely somewhat damning to quite a few Codexers is the fact that the game plays a little fast and loose with its historicity and historical plausibility. Doesn't bother me a bit, but some of you will have conniptions.

I'll see how the game proceeds, but honestly I have a hard time seeing how they can screw it up. If you like Colonel's Bequest and aren't bothered by historicity then I can pretty confidently say that you will like Crimson Diamond. Nice to have a game like this made again (and it only took 35 years!).

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
Some thoughts after finishing this (9.5 hours according to Steam):

- I really enjoyed this, honestly more than I expected. While I like Sierra-style parser-based adventure games, Colonel’s Bequest is one of my least favorite ones and Crimson Diamond improves on it in some ways. There is more to actually “do” here – you still spend a lot of time talking with people and gathering clues, but this time you also have real adventure game puzzles to solve that move the plot forward. You also don’t have to worry as much about moving the game clock forward before you’re ready – the game is pretty good about telegraphing when a major event is going to happen, and it seemed more flexible about the timing of when you can see/hear/talk about things

- Graphics and sound are Sierra SCI0 quality and very nice. The scenes are detailed enough for you to often use your own eyes to notice when something has appeared or changed, rather than needing to “search” every object again every time you start a new chapter. Also you walk extremely fast here and can go from screen to screen in about 3 seconds :salute:

- The parser worked pretty well. There were only 2 - 3 times when I couldn’t get it to understand what I wanted to do after a few tries, and it handles multiple objects of the same type well if not perfectly

- There is a notepad for keeping track of important findings and goals, although they’re all combined together and I found it difficult to use effectively after the first few chapters

- There were several times when the game acted like I just figured out something new, when in fact it was the third or fourth time I had learned this. In some cases the game failed to update my notepad until I learned the same thing multiple times. It never caused a serious problem but it did make for some repetitive dialogue

- You can die in this game, but it’s generally only after you do something obviously dangerous or stupid. This death message cracked me up more than it should have:
1723953365766.png

- SJW watch: The women and minorities in the game have their differences acknowledged but are mostly treated like normal characters. I liked how the one Japanese character is treated with suspicion for no real reason. Your character is often told to do things like “go to the kitchen,” which I found more amusing than what was probably intended

- I got a very good but not perfect ending, mainly because I didn’t pick up every piece of evidence I encountered even after I fully examined it :argh: I have mixed feelings about the ending itself – you have a big decision at the end of the game, and IMO the outcomes with the clearly “good” and “bad” choices are more extreme than they needed to be. Yes, yes, we all know capitalism sucks, but something more balanced may have worked better. Did we really need to find buried treasure after taking the idealistic-but-poor “good” route? :roll:

- There were a few bugs, including a couple of CTDs and several times where I’d enter a command and the game would act like nothing happened (in one case when doing something that the notepad specifically told me to do)

- I’m curious where the geology fixation in this game came from…

- I came away with a good impression of the author, Julia Minamata. While I didn’t follow the development of the game beyond what I could read here and on the Steam page, it seems like she got support for the game based mainly on her dorky love for the genre (and apparently classic RPGs - she was a Skald backer) without relying on anything sexy or feminist. Not a simp but tempted... :oops:

Overall I’m very glad this finally arrived and turned out the way it did. I hope it's successful and leads to more parser-based games like this, ideally using a different Sierra game for inspiration. Let’s see Codename: ICEMAN done right!

HoboForEternity

LIBERAL PROPAGANDIST
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished it around 10 hours too. Got most clues, figured out every plot threads, but not EVERYTHING, there are some obscure dialogues and clues that are easy to miss. It really is good, even for me who grew up with lucasarts adv games and not sierra, it was really great. I sad i got trough it like in 3 days. When you wait years for RPGs they are usually like 50 to gajillion hours long and last 1 - 3 months irl, but with adventure games, you play it 5 - 10 hours and it's gone (but not forgotten) but the wait between them feels longer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom