Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes - real-time co-op isometric dungeon crawler

Ninjerk

Arcane
7u-uo-i.jpg

You know it's going to be shit when even the character models look embarrassed for taking part in this game.
2nd time I'll make this comparison
:abyssgazer:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The origin of the game, how realizations (or rather frustrations) from Skyrim and Secret World led him to make a "new kind" of digital roleplaying game: http://randompotion.com/2020/05/13/...idden-origins-of-the-dark-eye-book-of-heroes/

From Skyrim to Secret World: The Hidden Origins of The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes

The most often mentioned and visually prominent inspiration for The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes is, of course, Baldur’s Gate, a fact I’ve never denied and have mentioned myself several times. But beneath the Infinity Engine of a surface, there are other less obvious sources of inspiration, namely because these games did not affect Book of Heroes with what they did, rather than with what they did not do or have.

I bought Skyrim from Steam pretty much right after it was published. I had played a few hours of Oblivion but was put off by the disparity between its promised freedom and the reality of available actions. The game gave off an illusion of “complete freedom”, but more often than not failed to offer the most sensible option (something commonly referred to as ludo-narrative dissonance). Skyrim seemed to fare a bit better on that front but was unable to deliver on another central promise: deciding your own destiny. You could, in theory, trot your very own path through the vast game world, but had no way of communicating your goals to the game, which would only react to your actions in regards to the main storyline, everything else feeling little more than a facade. I wanted a game where, instead of or in addition to the main story, the player could have their own story the game would mechanically recognise.

pic1-1.png

The first concept art for the game

A few months later, in the summer of 2012, I started playing The Secret World. I’ve never been a big MMO player, mostly due to the online games not having features I was interested in, but being a fan of The Dreamfall series I had pre-ordered the game and played in the beta weekends. There was a lot to like in The Secret World: the story and puzzles delivered as promised, but the clunky engine was clearly not meant for a game such as this, and the combat was bland and often just got in the way of the actually enjoyable parts of the game. While I don’t roleplay in MMOs myself, I prefer to play on the roleplaying servers and did so in the Secret World. I observed people roleplaying elaborate backstories with the game again being utterly oblivious to such actions. I thought it should not be overly hard to provide the player background options for their character that the game could recognise both storywise and mechanically.

Pic2.png

The mockup used in the first pitch materials

These two realisations lead me to start designing a concept for a new kind of roleplaying game, but for a long time that remained as a text file with a small number of bullet points. At the same time, I had a small multiplayer co-op prototype that began as a cyberpunk infiltration game, morphed later into a mystery-laden word game and ultimately into a more traditional fantasy roguelike. Like the concept, the prototype lied dormant, biding its time.

Fast forward to late 2016 when the foundations for the company that became Random Potion were being laid. I was working as a freelancer at the time. I wanted to get more experience on multiplayer to broaden my skill set, so I had recently dug up both the multiplayer prototype and the roleplaying game concept when a friend asked if I could come and talk about something in a local IGDA night. I threw together a small presentation with Tuomas, who ended up working at Random Potion for a time, and was blown away by the excited reactions to the concept. We quickly decided on the newly resurrected concept for the first game of the nascent company. It was only at this point when the Baldur’s Gate style visuals and gameplay were integrated into the design.

Pic3.png

The first mockup with an actual in-engine screenshot

It’s now almost three and a half years since we started working on the game that became The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes and less than a month until it comes out. Exciting times! The revelations I had with Skyrim and The Secret World are now in the game as Personal Storylines and Backgrounds, both of which you choose during the character creation. Both of the systems could certainly be expanded upon, but even as they are they should help bring the game closer to a tabletop experience and help pave the way for a new kind play for digital roleplaying games.

The game will be out on 9th of June on Steam!

I hope you have fun with the Book of Heroes!

– Arto Koistinen / Lead Designer of The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remarkable number of promotional videos for this game:

Take your first steps in the fantastic world of Aventuria. The game takes you to the most famous tavern of the realm: The Black Boar! There are tons of things to do. This video shows most of them. The game is coming out on June 9th only on Steam!

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Its a 3 min vid lol. Shows a lot of sub systems like alchemy and forging. Nothing terribly exciting.
Character creation and improvement is done via buying tarot cards from a gypsy. Multiple races and backgrounds, 4 classes. I generally like stuff like that.
Seems to be heavily combat focussed with the Inn as a hub you venture into dungeons from. Combat will be make or break and they havnt shown much combat yet, could be a bad sign.
I am gonna optimistically assume the game will have similar quality as Blackguards 1. From what they have shown its just a wide guess tho.
Seems like my taste of game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
New screenshots, mostly showing menus and the tavern. Only one screenshot shows a dungeon, but only the entrance of it. This publisher is really great at PR!: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3thdclefr6o4rdi/AABY6w83_CNpc3Zlj9mtz2nNa

Also Reddit AMA is coming: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres...Book_of_Heroes__new_screenshots_available.php

The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes – new screenshots available

Right before the release of the fantastic co-op multiplayer role-playing game The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes for PC (via Steam) Wild River Games today reveals a selection of new screenshots. Starting next Tuesday, June 9, 2020, adventurous roleplayers will be able to set out in groups of up to 4 people to seek their fortune in various corners of Aventuria.

Please check the new screenshots here. You’ll find the current presskit with more assets here.

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 5.p.m. CEST Rondom Potion's dev lead Arto Koistinen will be available in an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit.

Find more information on Wild River Games’ website, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Click here to add The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes to your Steam wishlist.

Andhaira

Arcane
Anyone know if there's main story/plot in this game?

There is no overarching campaign, there are 8 missions. You can carry your character through all 8 of them, and possibly they might have some links throughout, but no overarching campaign or plot.

What really sucks though, aside from this being RTwP, is you apparently cannot control your party-members (henchmen). So if you play Solo and no Co-op, the AI controls your partymembers.

AliceAlcina

Learned
It could be NWN Diamond kind of game... fun in its own right, despite not being masterpiece.
But there's chance it's too much co-op oriented and singleplayer is afterthought, which may lead very badly if there's no demand.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

There is no overarching campaign, there are 8 missions. You can carry your character through all 8 of them, and possibly they might have some links throughout, but no overarching campaign or plot.

What really sucks though, aside from this being RTwP, is you apparently cannot control your party-members (henchmen). So if you play Solo and no Co-op, the AI controls your partymembers.

Way to curb my enthusiasm, this went from one of my most expected new games to not even touch with a 10 foot pole really fast. Especially since in the gameplay they say that the Ai is intentionally awfull to encourage coop play and runs around drawing aggro.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This

This is not RTwP, it's just RT.

Elex

Arbiter
This

This is not RTwP, it's just RT.
Soo they just create real time with sleep, a new genre.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
is you apparently cannot control your party-members (henchmen). So if you play Solo and no Co-op, the AI controls your partymembers.
Surely, you must be joking.

There are game designers left alive that didn't get the memo about the "no braindead AI companions, FFS, just let me control my party!".
I like AI control as an option, especially for low-maintenance units like melee fighters, but I cannot see this working at all for an AI-controlled healer, for example.

Andhaira

Arcane
I've just queried them about this to be 100% sure, but that is what others following the game were saying. Will come back here and confirm as soon as I get a reply.

AliceAlcina

Learned
I've just queried them about this to be 100% sure, but that is what others following the game were saying. Will come back here and confirm as soon as I get a reply.

Following steam forums for a while. Just search the answers with developer star, everything said is confirmed.
It's like they want to make NWN, but with even more focus on co-op, and without modding.

So, release day.

Some more gameplay.

And the official release Trailer.

"Spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate"? I really hope this to be some good, but it's obvious that this is anything but Baldur's Gate -- e.g. an epic, sprawling adventure across the Realms and then some. Sure, it's a press quote, but their choice to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

purpleblob

Savant
"Spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate"? I really hope this to be some good, but it's obvious that this is anything but Baldur's Gate -- e.g. an epic, sprawling adventure across the Realms and then some. Sure, it's a press quote, but their choice to use it.

That's insulting to BG

Andhaira

Arcane
Hopefully it will be fun to kill a few hours. All the other good rpgs are Early Access anyway except for Pathfinder Kingmaker (which I still have to play via Turn Based mod)

The main draw to this, heck the ONLY draw for me is that it uses TDE 5e ruleset.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom