Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Black Angel

Arcane
It would be sad for the franchise to end with DaS3.
Just forget DS3 existed at all. DS1 is perfect as it is, no need for any sequel whatsoever, while DS2 felt more like its own thing it'd be much better to treat it as if it has nothing to do with DS1 at all.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Hehe, so while frantically defending from an invasion in Anor Londo next to the second bonfire I angered Solaire and got stuck in a loop of resurrecting and getting killed by him, fun! Managed to run away to Oswald, though.

Latelistener

Arcane
Been invaded by a guy who kept healing himself with humanity and I was a bit slow to catch him. I'm usually not against PvP, but it's just a waste of time. Any way to deal with this other than Alt + F4?

Kitchen Utensil

Been invaded by a guy who kept healing himself with humanity and I was a bit slow to catch him. I'm usually not against PvP, but it's just a waste of time. Any way to deal with this other than Alt + F4?

Play offline or go and stay hollow.

Silverfish

Arbiter

There's an infinite use consumable called the black separation crystal. It dismisses invaders / summons. For what it's worth, using it makes some people pretty salty.

Black Angel

Arcane
Yes. You...

git gud.
This. Just keep at it until he run out of humanity. Or catch him before he use one.

Either way, invaders who does this most likely wants to trolls you, so in retaliation you should troll them back.

Latelistener

Arcane
If he has 99 humanity that can take a few hours (but you'll probably run out of flasks before). As I said, a waste of time. Also, it's worth noting that the guy had a VAC ban.

No matter how gut you are, desync is this game is horrendous. I accidentally managed to backstab and kill a guy although he was already a few meters away. Parrying is even better. Just spam shield and you'll get your riposte eventually.

There's an infinite use consumable called the black separation crystal. It dismisses invaders / summons. For what it's worth, using it makes some people pretty salty.
I thought it can't be used against invaders.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Just checked the wiki, I was wrong about the separation crystal. Sorry, dude. On the plus side, there's always chaos rapier backstabs.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If he has 99 humanity that can take a few hours (but you'll probably run out of flasks before). As I said, a waste of time. Also, it's worth noting that the guy had a VAC ban.

No matter how gut you are, desync is this game is horrendous. I accidentally managed to backstab and kill a guy although he was already a few meters away. Parrying is even better. Just spam shield and you'll get your riposte eventually.

I thought it can't be used against invaders.
You're so innocent and brand new it's almost endearing.

Silva

Arcane
Anybody else find it a missed opportunity for bosses to not acknowledge your repeated attempts? I think only Djura in Bloodborne acknowledges it, by saying things like "Just give up. I'll continue to kick your ass again and again".

Coming from Sekiro now it would be interesting if some bosses teased you that way. Could give a comic relief to some oppressive bosses.

Is there any other bosses that do it besides Djura in the whole series? That react to you coming back from death for another try?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Anybody else find it a missed opportunity for bosses to not acknowledge your repeated attempts? I think only Djura in Bloodborne acknowledges it, by saying things like "Just give up. I'll continue to kick your ass again and again".

Coming from Sekiro now it would be interesting if some bosses teased you that way. Could give a comic relief to some oppressive bosses.

Is there any other bosses that do it besides Djura in the whole series? That react to you coming back from death for another try?
Eileen the Crow has a line of dialogue (when she kills you) that acknowledges your respawn process: "You still have dreams? ...Tell the little doll I said hello...".

In Dark Souls 3, Lothric acknowledges that you will awake after your death to fight him again and again and asks you to give up and rest instead, both when you start the fight:

"Oh, dear. Another dogged contender... Welcome, unkindled one. Purloiner of cinders. Mind you, the mantle of Lord interests me none. The Firelinking curse, the legacy of Lords -- let it all fade into nothing. You've done quite enough, now have your rest.",

and when you die:

"This spot marks our grave, but you may rest here too, if you like.".

The first one is a bit vague, but the second one clearly refers to the fact that you will awake from death.

Silva

Arcane
NJClaw , you're right but what you cite is only halfway through what I'm taking about. I would like to see bosses reacting to your repeated attempts with different dialogue each time. Something like...

*Player shows up again after dying*

Boss: What are you, a masochistic?

And again

Boss: I was in the mid of something here. Can you come back another time? Oh well..

And again

Boss: I'm using only the left arm this time. Haha just kidding.

And again

Boss: Oh come on. It's boring already. Here, take these souls and go away. Shooo.

Etc.

It doesn't need to be comic relief of course (though for certain bosses it would certainly fit), but an opoortunity to explore bosses lore or personality etc.

Both Eileen and Lothric don't do that exactly. Only Djura does this by changing his dialogue the second time you meet/die to him (or so I remember). Is there another boss that actually changes dialogue the second time you meet him? I never played Demon Souls and don't remember DS2 much So it's possible those games have something like it?

Black Angel

Arcane
Unlike Soulsborne, in Sekiro you don't 'respawn', you go back in time. That's why boss cutscenes plays again and again, but now that I think about it the boss cutscene in Hirata Estate with Lady B didn't replay, and later on with Father Owl he only says his dialogue line during the very first encounter of that playthrough, later attempts will immediately start the fight just like with Lady B. This is very interesting considering the nature of the it being a 'memory'.
Meanwhile, in the current present timeline boss cutscenes like with Genichiro on top of Ashina Castle, and also the cutscenes of final boss fights in both Shura route and others would also replay even after death. Same with dialogue with Great Shinobi Owl on top of Ashina Castle, always replays after deaths.

In Soulsborne, you actually 'respawn', in literal sense of word. You don't go back in time, that's why Djura acknowledged your repeated attempts, and like NJClaw pointed out some bosses would recognize that you can respawn.

Still, in similar manners I remembered Sekiro main bosses would make remarks when you resurrect, Gyoubu for example have different lines for when you resurrect for the first time and second time.

Silva

Arcane
Shit, that actually makes sense, Black Angel . Going back in time would explain why mooks go back to life in Sekiro, and differentiate it from Souls' undead mooks. Even if it's not always consistent (as your example in the memories). But then no Souls game is.

BTW, what's explanation for DeS and BB mooks respawning again? I think in BB case it could be two things: a. The population infected by the eldritch blood making them undying just like Souls or b. Everything is a dream (even Yharnam) that resets in some fashion.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Shit, that actually makes sense, Black Angel . Going back in time would explain why mooks go back to life in Sekiro, and differentiate it from Souls' undead mooks. Even if it's not always consistent (as your example in the memories). But then no Souls game is.

BTW, what's explanation for DeS and BB mooks respawning again? I think in BB case it could be two things: a. The population infected by the eldritch blood making them undying just like Souls or b. Everything is a dream (even Yharnam) that resets in some fashion.
I think the explanation in Bloodborne is that they simply are different people: the ones you kill stay dead, but new enemies populate the area after them. The eldritch blood definitely doesn't give immortality. In fact, "named" enemies don't respawn.

Silva

Arcane
I think the explanation in Bloodborne is that they simply are different people: the ones you kill stay dead, but new enemies populate the area after them. The eldritch blood definitely doesn't give immortality. In fact, "named" enemies don't respawn
Makes sense. What keeps Hunters immortals is the contract with Moon Presence, not the blood. So the "different people showing up each time" is a valid hypothesis.

Of course, the whole Yharnam being a dream/nightmare is equally valid and hinted at too. By this theory, you would be simply re-entering the same nightmare each time you die (and only wake up for real in the sun rising ending).

How about Demons Souls? Sullynathan , our Demons Souls expert, can you enlighten us? Why do mooks come back to life in it, is there a lore explanation?

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That wasn't humanity though. I don't know why I thought it was. Those were the mushrooms from the DLC area, but I didn't know since I haven't been there yet.
If it healed right away and it was almost instant, then it was a Divine Blessing. In which case, I take it back - that stuff does not have a cast/use time, so there is nothing you can do about it. But if it was a humanity, estus or miracle, then you deserve to get laughed at.
Also... the mushrooms are ~100HP/s, meaning they are not instant healing, and so they do not fit your description at all.

Black Angel

Arcane
That wasn't humanity though. I don't know why I thought it was. Those were the mushrooms from the DLC area, but I didn't know since I haven't been there yet.
If it healed right away and it was almost instant, then it was a Divine Blessing. In which case, I take it back - that stuff does not have a cast/use time, so there is nothing you can do about it. But if it was a humanity, estus or miracle, then you deserve to get laughed at.
Also... the mushrooms are ~100HP/s, meaning they are not instant healing, and so they do not fit your description at all.
There are healing mushrooms?! In DaS1????!!!!!

Latelistener

Arcane
It was almost instant. I don't think phantoms can heal via estus, it's not Remastered. I wouldn't have any problems with him if it was a miracle or estus.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Is Daughters of Ash a good mod? I'm tempted to try some big content mods but I'm afraid it's going to be overambitious Typical Modder™ clusterfuck where everything has been changed just because and everything cool about the original design has been changed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom