Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Wunderbar

Arcane
Elwro pick up gold-hemmed garb, then run back to the fog door. If you're fast enough, instead of slowly walking boss will jump back and will fall into abyss after you hit him a couple of times.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Elwro pick up gold-hemmed garb, then run back to the fog door. If you're fast enough, instead of slowly walking boss will jump back and will fall into abyss after you hit him a couple of times.
So I should run to the door, and then wait for it? Until it slams with its tentacle? And only then hit it? I thought I tried it already. Could you be a tiny bit more specific? It seems one gets just a single try per playthrough so I want to finally get it right...

Latelistener

Arcane
A week ago I started playing DS for the first time. I've decided to stay with PTDE on PC, despite having the remastered version. Maybe someday I'll play it too for comparison and for the bigger online.

Overall though, there are usually 500-1000 players, so I wouldn't call it deserted. Certainly not what I expected. I've been invaded a couple of times. And there are seems to be a lot of newbies. At least, when I see bloodstains I don't think an experienced player can die like that.

The first invader was a funny guy though. He crossed the bridge with the wyvern and was waiting for me near the bonfire. I assume he wanted to lure me out. Instead I just stayed on the other side near the stairs and as soon as he exited the safe zone I just provoked the dragon by stepping onto the bridge. When he came to me under the bridge he was almost dead. Later I noticed that when he crossed the bridge he also opened the big gates to Undead Parish for some reason.

I'm currently finishing up Blighttown and was wondering how could one learn about the secret area in the tree trunk via in-game clues. Is there a way?

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is literally one way, I think. If you have gotten to know Dark Souls very well, you know that the characters with a quest line usually end with a hard end. I say "usually" because you can help Solaire cheat at that. In any case, here is what Sieglinde has to say, if you've helped her father survive the Chaos Eaters encounter:

"Well, hello again!
I have finally located my father.
All of your help was invaluable to us… Thank you so much.
I was finally able to pass on my mother's last words.
- My father? He went on his final adventure.
Don't worry, that's just the way he is. Undead or no. Sort of reasuring, really.
If he goes Hollow, I'll just have to kill him again.
"

This is literally the only clue you get that there might be something missing if you scoured the whole world.

Other than that? Shared knowledge via signs on the floor. Or pure luck. That's it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
A week ago I started playing DS for the first time. I've decided to stay with PTDE on PC, despite having the remastered version. Maybe someday I'll play it too for comparison and for the bigger online.

Overall though, there are usually 500-1000 players, so I wouldn't call it deserted. Certainly not what I expected. I've been invaded a couple of times. And there are seems to be a lot of newbies. At least, when I see bloodstains I don't think an experienced player can die like that.

The first invader was a funny guy though. He crossed the bridge with the wyvern and was waiting for me near the bonfire. I assume he wanted to lure me out. Instead I just stayed on the other side near the stairs and as soon as he exited the safe zone I just provoked the dragon by stepping onto the bridge. When he came to me under the bridge he was almost dead. Later I noticed that when he crossed the bridge he also opened the big gates to Undead Parish for some reason.

I'm currently finishing up Blighttown and was wondering how could one learn about the secret area in the tree trunk via in-game clues. Is there a way?
The only real way to find Ash Lake if you are not an autistic fucker is through messages left by other players. If you are an autistic fucker, however, you have a couple of obscure clues (even if calling them clues is a bit of a stretch):
- Siegmeyer quest: it ends near Izalith, so it's not absurd to think his next location should be accessible from there. But you should still look for something you don't even know exists.
- The trees from the Tomb of the Giants: from the Tomb you can actually see the Ash Lake trees and, since the game trained you to think that you can reach everything you can see, someone very invested in the game could try to recreate in his mind the geography of the world to understand that the only place you can reach Ash Lake is Blighttown or Izalith. After that, messages ensure that the discover can spread through in-game means.

Wunderbar

Arcane
EX4B10aX0AcKjah

Elwro

Arcane
I'm playing the remaster on my PS4 and having a blast with a quality build. Still, I can't believe they introduced an important bug in this version: every once in a while my char stops sprinting and the movement stutters. I finished the game many times and have memorised all the runs I want to make. But now they are random; I never know if I don't stop in the middle. I couldn't even run during the second Drake encounter and the titanite demon next to Andre just killed me, ffs, which has not happened in years. This is important enough that I'd consider going back to PS3 for my dose of DS... Shame!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
X41erWl.jpg

Read on the wiki that there's a slab behind the waterfall in his arena and casually went down, ready to get fried after I grab it. Started a joke fight, but I had 20 estus from the lord vessel fire and kept hacking at him. Then this happened.

Can't wait to die 20 more times with his health half full while I'm actually trying to kill him.

I got that beat, i died while killing Elana in DS2. We both died at the same time, but only my death counted. Fuuuuuu

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Messages most likely. They put that mechanic there it makes they would design the game around it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW all this talk about hard bosses but nobody mentions the hardest of them all: Sif.

He such a good boi, why do i have to kill him. They even put in that sad animation when he is about to die. I felt bad the first time and i felt worst on my recent play through.

Curratum

I gave up at Gwyn at NG+. I'm 40/40 with the hornet ring and power within and a +15 halberd and it still will take something like 10 parries to kill that bitch. I just don't have the nerves and willpower to do it, at least not right after going through all of DS2 and DS1 twice.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I got that beat, i died while killing Elana in DS2. We both died at the same time, but only my death counted. Fuuuuuu

I once died fighting Pinwheel. I was going for the last hit, and one of his clones tagged me with a fireball. Seriously considered hanging up the entire hobby after that.

Elwro

Arcane
Apparently many people encounter the 'char randomly stops running' issue on PS4 and of course the devs have done nothing about it. Goddamnit. This adds a layer of randomness to the game I'm not accustomed with.

The mosquitoes are even more infuriating than before; trying to fight them on a sloped surface can even mean death, wow

Hyperion

Arcane
The only real way to find Ash Lake if you are not an autistic fucker is through messages left by other players. If you are an autistic fucker, however, you have a couple of obscure clues (even if calling them clues is a bit of a stretch):
I meant to open the chest and accidentally hit the Roll button instead. Went right through the wall and nearly shit myself

I died to Pinwheel once when I literally just went into the fight auto-targeted him and button mashed without even looking at the screen. Worked the next time though. Really is puzzling how ever made it into the game. Only other boss I beat blind on a first attempt was Sif.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LOLOLOL HAVENT PLAYED SOULS IN FORWVER LIKE YEARS

DS ONE IS A TURTLE GAME FOR PVE

I TRIED BEING A TWOHANS DODGEBRO WHICH I DID IN DS2 AND DIDNT WORK

BLOCK AND I GOT TAURUS ON SECOND TRY

BULL AND BUTCHERS AND KNIGHTS AND CAPRA AND HAVEL AND GARGOYLE ALL ONE TIME

SHIT BROS DIDNT PLAY THAT GOOD WAY BACK WHEN

DOING A DEX MAYBE INT BUILD AND RIGHT NOW USING THE DRAKE SWORD TILL UCHI GETS GOOD

Black Angel

Arcane
DS ONE IS A TURTLE GAME FOR PVE

I TRIED BEING A TWOHANS DODGEBRO WHICH I DID IN DS2 AND DIDNT WORK
Bro, come on. DS1 is just fine when going two-handed dodger. One of my most memorable DS1 playthrough was bee-lining for Zweihander, removing all my armors except for the pants, then nearly one-shotting Taurus Demon with a jump attack to his face.

Elwro

Arcane
A Zweihander playthrough is an awesome way to spend a few easy evenings. Weirdly, my Zwei char was the only one who got anywhere in PvP, people somehow had trouble fighting me when I fought without lock-on. The range of it seems hard to judge in PvP

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
'The cumulative sales volume of the series has exceeded 27 million. It's a great honor for many people to play. We are developing a new title so that everyone can enjoy it again, so I hope you can expect it.'

I certainly expect it, Mr. Fromsoftware. I would be a bit disappointed with a 'DS 4', though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom