Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Wunderbar

Arcane
Elwro just homeward bone out of the fight once her health is low

Jigawatt

Arcane
But of course I screwed up and wasn't able to cut Priscilla's tail before she turns invisible.

Honestly it's pretty easy to chop the tail while she's invisible, watch for the relation between feet and tail while you can see her then just replicate it from the footsteps in the snow. Something long and pointy like spear/halberd/lucerne is handy for not taking too many hits yourself while you attempt it

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yeah, just tried that with my Halberd +15.

I thought that if I dealt enough damage she would become visible. But no, I poked her invisible backside (judging by the footsteps) for a few minutes, her health bar never appeared, and then she died. Meaning I need to get to her again in NG++, eh...

Silverfish

Arbiter
At the start of the fight, pelt her with throwing knives. It takes a few seconds for them to disappear and you can use them to more easily track her location / direction. It's not a game changer or anything, but it comes in handy when you want the tail cut.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I told him to use fireballs for good poise damage, but not too high damage, so he can see her, but not hurt her, but it seems I was ignored.

It's ok, by the time you hit +7 she'll have so much HP, you'll start being unable to fail. :P

Elwro

Arcane
I told him to use fireballs for good poise damage, but not too high damage, so he can see her, but not hurt her, but it seems I was ignored.

It's ok, by the time you hit +7 she'll have so much HP, you'll start being unable to fail. :P
Goddamnit, you're perfectly right, I forgot. It's my old age...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How do I get black knight Halberd early ? Black knight is in the garden but I get shield or nothing.
Unbuffable heavy hunk of junk. Gargoyle Halberd is what you want.

Yea I never understood why is everyone so "muh BKH" about it. It's heavy, it's slash and it's unbuffable.

Gargoyle Halberd is good but I strongly prefer your basic bitch halberd +15. It's p. much the best weapon in the game for 90% of situations.

That's fully in line with Miyazaki's genius philosophy "the rarer a weapon is the more garbage it is and vice versa".

Elwro

Arcane
The regular Halberd is awesome for a quality build. I just hate fighting the New Londo ghosts with it and I'm using the Furysword against them in NG+... I guess any slashing weapon works better.

That said, Gargoyle's Halberd has even longer range, I guess

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah normal halberd is terrible against ghosts.

I think Giant's Halberd is the longest reach halberd, too bad it's one of the worst weapons in the game.

Latelistener

Arcane
I've almost completed the game twice in a row now. While I enjoyed it very much it also feels like the PvE difficulty was largely overexaggerated. Aside from a few annoying places like those archers in Anor Londo, I haven't encountered much problems. Rather, it's completely intolerable to stupid mistakes and the lack of attention. To any person who've seen Severance, Rune, Gothic or Ninja Gaiden, this game probably won't introduce anything new (aside from the online component).

Level design is great mostly and I like how locations are connected. While there are high points (Blighttown, Sen's Fortress), there are also low points. Anor Londo feels empty and not because the deities left the city, but because of lack of details. Also there is some weird level design with all those narrow walkways. I mean, even the constantly falling AI cannot handle those. Lost Izalith / Demon Ruins are locations in which it feels like the development funds have ended. They reuse previous bosses and instead of a ruined city there are a bunch of dragon asses in a lava.

Most of the time I used Claymore +15, but then got myself Quelaag's Furysword and Chaos Washing Pole. Also enjoyed using Halberd and Great Scythe, but wasn't able to cope with the stumble animation upon missing. Overall, I like that there are many great weapons and possible combinations.

Online is where I got most of the laughs. On the one hand, it's a shame that I've missed 2011 and where all the hype and playerbase were, but at the same time this kind of online is exactly what this game needs. You encounter people from time to time, but not too often.

Right now I'm getting tired of the game so I'll probably skip the DLC on NG+. Just wanted to make the last few achievements and also see a different ending. After that I'll probably move to DS2 (the original, not Scholar).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'll probably move to DS2 (the original, not Scholar).

Your call, just know that the "muh DS2 vanilla bettah than Scholar" people are typically severely autistic nostalgiafags. Someone like Perkel etc. (I actually don't know if Perkel prefers the vanilla but it fits perfectly with his psychological profile). These people typically say things like "Red, ripe apple? Pfft. It was WAY better when it was tiny and green".

Most Souls fans with a normally functioning brain will tell you Scholar is a straight up improvement over the vanilla. Plus you'll get the best part of the game - the DLCs - included. If you buy vanilla you'll have to buy them separately. Plus there's no online crossplay between both versions and the vanilla online component is deader than dodo.

So it's normal people vs. perkels. Your choice.

Last edited:

Beggar

Cipher
How do I get black knight Halberd early ? Black knight is in the garden but I get shield or nothing.
Unbuffable heavy hunk of junk. Gargoyle Halberd is what you want.

Yea I never understood why is everyone so "muh BKH" about it. It's heavy, it's slash and it's unbuffable.

Gargoyle Halberd is good but I strongly prefer your basic bitch halberd +15. It's p. much the best weapon in the game for 90% of situations.

That's fully in line with Miyazaki's genius philosophy "the rarer a weapon is the more garbage it is and vice versa".
Because weapons like Black Knight Sword are really strong and on top of that you don't need to change it in your playthrough anywhere. Which makes it flawless.
Black Knight Halberd's only flaw is its weight. If you can sacrifice your armor, you'll have a fast and absolutely OP weapon throughout the game.
I don't get it what you don't understand here. Have in mind that you don't need +15 materials in order to upgrade Black Knight weapons, Twinkling Titanite's is one of the easiest to gather.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah true. BKH is way easier to upgrade. You can get it to +3 as early as Darkroot.

You still need 22/18 to 2H it but I guess it IS p. good. Provided you hit the jackpot.

Beggar

Cipher
It isn't the best weapon choice for a beginner, because of inability to wear heavier armor. But if you're experienced in this game, you'll most likely slash your way through the game the easiest and efficient way possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom