Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Kinda interesting how Dark Souls is one of the best video games ever, yet still attracts some of the worst retards. Really doesn't feel any different than some random ubisoft game reddit, or the Cyberpunk thread..
The difference is that I think Dark Souls is still worth playing, whereas I don't even know what the hell ubishit does. However, the only thing Dark Souls really has going for it is gameplay, which I actually never said was bad outside of the few obviously terrible levels. It's just that retards like to jerk off to how awsum and kewl the game is, and how it has the bestest setting evurr, when in reality most of the environments are boring, the graphics are covered in shitty post-processing, and the ‘lore’ is completely irrelevant and pointless.

Thank fuck the forum has an ignore user option! :D
Yes, don't waste your time on things beyond your comprehension. Ignorance is bliss! Go forth and listen to your shitty midi music!

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bet you're the type that after a while they find out about King's Field. Play it. Then come here, just like aweigh, calling DS popamole or some shit, trying to act cool because they know of an earlier, more obscure title.
It's the kind of attitude that, ironically, finds little appreciation for improvement. I bet the only reason you're saying the gameplay is better in DS is because Demon's Souls doesn't have a plunge attack.

Also... ironically, there are people that made livelihoods because they speculated on lore, via cut content, map positionings, item descriptions and many more things related to the setting. Those "more things" are mentioned in this very thread.

It's... *ahem*... UNREAL... *snicker*... how disconnected you are from the real world. Get it? I did a thing. With a thing. To make another thing?

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I bet you're the type that after a while they find out about King's Field. Play it. Then come here, just like aweigh, calling DS popamole or some shit, trying to act cool because they know of an earlier, more obscure title.
It's the kind of attitude that, ironically, finds little appreciation for improvement. I bet the only reason you're saying the gameplay is better in DS is because Demon's Souls doesn't have a plunge attack.
wat? Why would I rate some shitty bare-bones PSX games higher than Dark Souls? I'm not that retarded. The gameplay is fine, and even improved in many aspects. However, the setting and visuals are massively declined, and that, for me, spoils much of the experience. Demon's Souls was immediately and consistently compelling, but Dark Souls had me literally wading through shit I don't care about just to get to the fun parts (boss fights) and only very rarely had anything especially pleasing besides that. Sorry that I'm not a combatfag who can ignore the obviously and unnecessarily retarded graphics.

Also... ironically, there are people that made livelihoods because they speculated on lore, via cut content, map positionings, item descriptions and many more things related to the setting. Those "more things" are mentioned in this very thread.
It's popular, so it must be good, you say. But it's just pointless. There was a flame, and some fantasy guys existed. Then player went on an adventure and killed monsters until the game ended. All that lore is just random backstory off to the side of a plot that doesn't use it. Demon's Souls managed to convey its ideas well enough whether or not one pays attention to the lore (or what little there is of it), but Dark Souls doesn't. Either way some Youtubers poasting about it doesn't matter. Good for them. I do like the game analysis stuff they sometimes do, though, so it's not all boring.

It's... *ahem*... UNREAL... *snicker*... how disconnected you are from the real world. Get it? I did a thing. With a thing. To make another thing?
My disconnexion is unreal indeed. Unreal as in untrue.

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
wat? Why would I rate some shitty bare-bones PSX games higher than Dark Souls? I'm not that retarded. The gameplay is fine, and even improved in many aspects. However, the setting and visuals are massively declined, and that, for me, spoils much of the experience. Demon's Souls was immediately and consistently compelling, but Dark Souls had me literally wading through shit I don't care about just to get to the fun parts (boss fights) and only very rarely had anything especially pleasing besides that. Sorry that I'm not a combatfag who can ignore the obviously and unnecessarily retarded graphics.
You are a combat fag, but you're not.

'k

It's popular, so it must be good, you say. But it's just pointless. There was a flame, and some fantasy guys existed. Then player went on an adventure and killed monsters until the game ended.
What... *are*... you talking about?
It'll blow your mind if I tell you that because I played DS I know Miyazaki read Dante's Divine Comedy, and I know for a fact what aspects of Beatrice he likes, and which he dislikes.

What?
I do like the game analysis stuff they sometimes do, though, so it's not all boring.
So the setting is boring, but it's not ALL boring? What's next edgy boi... are you going to bleed on the floor when you realize *gasp* that Dark Souls might be better, because *gasp X 2* it represents the artistic evolution of a game director?

By the gods, call the Darkmoon!
My disconnexion is unreal indeed. Unreal as in untrue.
Feel the edge.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
You are a combat fag, but you're not.

'k
Where did you even get that idea to begin with? It should be very clear now that my problems with the game are in everything except the combat, and that the latter isn't enough by itself. If I were a combatfag, the graphics and story wouldn't matter to me at all. Can you even read?

What... *are*... you talking about?
It'll blow your mind if I tell you that because I played DS I know Miyazaki read Dante's Divine Comedy, and I know for a fact what aspects of Beatrice he likes, and which he dislikes.

What?
I'm saying that since Dark Souls barely has any actual frontstory to go with its backstory, there's not much of which I'm interested in learning lore. So it's just an adventure through some places in a world I don't know. That's fine if the places themselves are interesting to be in, but they mostly aren't. Demon's Souls did have interesting locations, though, and was extremely atmospheric. The lore wasn't necessary for understanding the game. On the other hand, Dark Souls is just slimy and grimy, and the story doesn't mean anything until you read a bunch of random item descriptions which also don't mean anything because they are just fantasy gibberish. Cool story bro.

So the setting is boring, but it's not ALL boring? What's next edgy boi... are you going to bleed on the floor when you realize *gasp* that Dark Souls might be better, because *gasp X 2* it represents the artistic evolution of a game director?

By the gods, call the Darkmoon!
It represents artistic retardation, moar liek. Also, retard, I meant shit like game mechanics and secrets and things like that. That's why I said GAME, not STORY. I like it when people analyse games and such. It tickles my gamer autism. That may be related to the setting in some way, but I wouldn't care if it were just about lore. Even if I liked the story, Youtubers make for bad story analysts.

The_Mask

Patron
Can you even read?
I could ask you the same question. The world (and subsequently your "caring about it") exponentially increases the more you read. I find it absolutely shocking that you claim to be stimulated by settings in general, but haven't taken the time to read about it. You sound like those people that are spoon fed how to get to Gwyndolin like it's some rocket science, when - really - all you have to do is read 2 rings' description.

This point is further proven, by the way, by your next statement:

I'm saying that since Dark Souls barely has any actual frontstory to go with its backstory, there's not much of which I'm interested in learning lore. So it's just an adventure through some places in a world I don't know.
This seems like a you problem, not a Dark Souls problem. If you can't understand the ideas telegraphed to you in the intro cinematic, and the fact that a raven (you know, hate to spell the obvious, but: the symbol of rebirth) brings you to Lordran, then might I suggest Barbies Dreamhouse Party?
Or maybe you like direct exposition? Cool there's Quelana. Just pump that pyro glove to +10, and enjoy being spoon fed words.

"… Hmmm…
I have a favour to ask…
My mother, the Witch of Izalith, was one of the primeval Lords…
Her power came from the soul that she found near the First Flame.
..She focused this power to light a flame of her own, but she failed to control it.
The Flame of Chaos engulfed Mother and my sisters, and molded them into deformed creatures.
Only I escaped, and now I am here.
But my mother and sisters have been in anguish since.
I beseech you. Free Mother and my sisters from the Flame of Chaos.
I cannot do it myself; I lack the strength, and the bravery…
…But you…
I realize what I am asking. But please, free their pour souls…
Mother's ambitions were misguided, no doubt, but surely a thousand years of atonement is enough!
"

Check out that front story, bro!

It represents artistic retardation, moar liek. Also, retard, I meant shit like game mechanics and secrets and things like that. That's why I said GAME, not STORY.
You seem to be moving goal posts, but okay, I'll chase you foxy.

You seem to be unaware how tediously amazing it is to find out the poise thresholds. Or how tediously amazing it is to find the SL invasion thresholds for the Darkmoon covenant. Or, likewise, to know exactly how Power Within works with the mage Dragon Rings. Or the fact that, other than the BoC, any boss can be defeated by Iron Skin + RTSR.
And secrets are plenty. The Titanite Slab in the Crystal Caverns. Knowing where all the lizards are in the Hollow, and also knowing the fact that they can drop slabs too. And just to make it 3... even becoming a gravebro is something that requires a certain level of inquisitiveness.

You're running out of ground, edgy boy. Move those goal posts more, and keep calling me a retard more. I can chase you through the whole game, in every corner. <3

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Can you even read?
I could ask you the same question. The world (and subsequently your "caring about it") exponentially increases the more you read. I find it absolutely shocking that you claim to be stimulated by settings in general, but haven't taken the time to read about it. You sound like those people that are spoon fed how to get to Gwyndolin like it's some rocket science, when - really - all you have to do is read 2 rings' description.

This point is further proven, by the way, by your next statement:

I'm saying that since Dark Souls barely has any actual frontstory to go with its backstory, there's not much of which I'm interested in learning lore. So it's just an adventure through some places in a world I don't know.
This seems like a you problem, not a Dark Souls problem. If you can't understand the ideas telegraphed to you in the intro cinematic, and the fact that a raven (you know, hate to spell the obvious, but: the symbol of rebirth) brings you to Lordran, then might I suggest Barbies Dreamhouse Party?
Or maybe you like direct exposition? Cool there's Quelana. Just pump that pyro glove to +10, and enjoy being spoon fed words.

"… Hmmm…
I have a favour to ask…
My mother, the Witch of Izalith, was one of the primeval Lords…
Her power came from the soul that she found near the First Flame.
..She focused this power to light a flame of her own, but she failed to control it.
The Flame of Chaos engulfed Mother and my sisters, and molded them into deformed creatures.
Only I escaped, and now I am here.
But my mother and sisters have been in anguish since.
I beseech you. Free Mother and my sisters from the Flame of Chaos.
I cannot do it myself; I lack the strength, and the bravery…
…But you…
I realize what I am asking. But please, free their pour souls…
Mother's ambitions were misguided, no doubt, but surely a thousand years of atonement is enough!
"

Check out that front story, bro!
DERE WUZ LIEK SUM DRAGINS AND THEN FLAMES AND THEN GODS AND THEY FIGHT AND THEN STUFF HAPEPNS AND THEN EVERYONE DYING HURR DURRRR. Okay, but what does that have to do with reality? Why should I even care? I don't pay attention to dumb shit like that because it's dumb shit. Of course, this is just the prologue, so not really front. What about the narrative the player is involved in themselves? There's little of that, which would ideally be fine, but then that means it can't make the lore seem interesting. If there were interesting narratives, or environments, or characters, or whatever, then there'd be a reason to care about the lore. But there mostly isn't. Just because I like to experience interesting stories doesn't mean I'm going to go digging where there isn't one.

It represents artistic retardation, moar liek. Also, retard, I meant shit like game mechanics and secrets and things like that. That's why I said GAME, not STORY.
You seem to be moving goal posts, but okay, I'll chase you foxy.

You seem to be unaware how tediously amazing it is to find out the poise thresholds. Or how tediously amazing it is to find the SL invasion thresholds for the Darkmoon covenant. Or, likewise, to know exactly how Power Within works with the mage Dragon Rings. Or the fact that, other than the BoC, any boss can be defeated by Iron Skin + RTSR.
And secrets are plenty. The Titanite Slab in the Crystal Caverns. Knowing where all the lizards are in the Hollow, and also knowing the fact that they can drop slabs too. And just to make it 3... even becoming a gravebro is something that requires a certain level of inquisitiveness.
So... what? If you want to compile that kind of information into a video or something, it might be interesting, however that's more specific than the kinds of things I had in mind. You are just spewing words pointlessly. No goal posts were moved. I said ‘game analysis’. As in mechanics. As in gameplay. Then you tarded it all up and I had to clarify, and then you tarded again and are blaming me for your inability to understand.

You're running out of ground, edgy boy. Move those goal posts more, and keep calling me a retard more. I can chase you through the whole game, in every corner. <3
The goal posts did not move. You missed.

The_Mask

Patron
DERE WUZ LIEK SUM DRAGINS AND THEN FLAMES AND THEN GODS AND THEY FIGHT AND THEN STUFF HAPEPNS AND THEN EVERYONE DYING HURR DURRRR. Okay, but what does that have to do with reality? Why should I even care? I don't pay attention to dumb shit like that because it's dumb shit.

[...]

The goal posts did not move. You missed.
"If I don't pay attention to something it's dumb shit, so the goal posts never moved, because they were never there."

Ok.

What about the narrative the player is involved in themselves?

See, I would say here "the whole game", but I fear you're a bit on the slow side to get it... actually nah...

The whole game.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
"If I don't pay attention to something it's dumb shit, so the goal posts never moved, because they were never there."

Ok.
Yes, that's you exactly.

What about the narrative the player is involved in themselves?

See, I would say here "the whole game", but I fear you're a bit on the slow side to get it... actually nah...

The whole game.
Not counting the prologue, ‘the whole game’ is about a guy who is forced into an adventure where he has to sacrifice himself to keep some flame burning. Along the way he kills monsters which have backstories you can find out if you want to. Well then. That's not interesting in itself at all, is it? What matters here instead are the environments you travel through, and the characters you meet. Are those locations interesting? Not really. Are the characters interesting? I didn't think they especially were. I liked them enough in their immediate presence and dialogue, but I couldn't really care less what their backstories are. It wasn't important to what is actually experienced in the game. I barely care about ‘lore’ even when I do like a story, so having all of the story exclusively be in lore just makes the whole thing pointless. I don't care who Ornstein or Gwyndolin or your mother are, they're just bosses to me. I'm not given any reason to feel like I should care, so I don't. I don't care about the lore in Demon's Souls either, and in fact there's even less story, but that game has much better environments and as such it is more compelling to know such things. The setting is more immediately recognizeable and easier to get into, as it's not full of odd fantasy things that need exposition. This is a very good thing for a game with sparse narrative. Pretentious as it is to say, Demon's Souls was actually more meaningful in its simplicity, whereas Dark Souls distracts and confuses things by adding too many foreign elements that don't make sense unless they are explained, but the explanation is hidden and in pieces and there's no reason to bother looking for it. I dislike it not because I am too stupid to understand it, but because it is actually just a shallow waste of time. It has no immediate entertainment value and is merely miscellaneous information for nerds. There's no interesting story to better understand by knowing it. It won't help you play the game better, either. It's not like this is Serial Experiments Lain or anything. It's just stuff. There's no profound meaning to be found in it. They could have done something interesting with it, but they didn't.

The_Mask

Patron

Ok.
Yes, that's you exactly.
Projecting because called out. 'k

Ok.
Yes, that's you exactly.

Not counting the prologue, ‘the whole game’ is about a guy who is forced into an adventure where he has to sacrifice himself to keep some flame burning.
No. The game is about me becoming a king in a brand new era, on the ashes of a dying world.

I could go on like this forever.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
No. The game is about me becoming a king in a brand new era, on the ashes of a dying world.

I could go on like this forever.
King in a Brand New Era, moar liek delaying the inevitable in a world of full shit. Does it matter how one describes it? We all know what either of us means. The story doesn't improve just because you've rephrased it.

The story is stupid. It is fantasy nonsense. That's not to say I don't ‘understand’ it, but I just don't care. What matters for a story is what is actually experienced through it, and lore is not an experience. If the story is all lore, then what is the point? Why should I ever care about the silly, random origin story of some world that doesn't mean anything? I hate that shit in any story, not just Dark Souls, but at least in other cases there's usually some kind of experience of something that makes me care a bit more. All there is in Dark Souls are boss fights and some NPCs with their own miscellaneous stories. And you know what? That's fine. That's what the game's about and that's fine. The lore is just background. But when the environments are banalshitboring, that's all there is. If it's just sewers and shit, that's not fun at all. And without a good enough context, the lore is just an encyclopedia of fantasy crap that only exists for the sake of existing. Why do you care? Just because it's lmao kewl n shiet? Well, the boss fights were cool. But really, this kind of indulgent fantasy shit is shallow and retarded. It's just OMG SO UNIQUE AND WEIRD!!!! AND DIFFERENT!!! TIEM 2 BEE A LOAR NERD!!! Who cares? Does it feel like the story has any sense of reality? No, it doesn't.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
As if I you're in any position to help anyone with that level of retardation. Quite interesting how you fags always go ‘hurr durr gole poasts moved!!!’ whenever someone disagrees with you. Sounds quite like a Biden voter, doesn't it.

Black Angel

Arcane
As if I you're in any position to help anyone with that level of retardation. Quite interesting how you fags always go ‘hurr durr gole poasts moved!!!’ whenever someone disagrees with you. Sounds quite like a Biden voter, doesn't it.
Get a load of this fucking furry.

Yet one more reasons why they ought to be purged from God's beautiful Earth.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Get a load of this fucking furry.

Yet one more reasons why they ought to be purged from God's beautiful Earth.
22094.jpg

Silva

Arcane
Unreal , see it this way:

- For those who don't like story, DS doesn't waste anyone time with cutscenes or obligaroty infodumps.

- For those who like story, DS1 presents a fair bit of it to be discovered.

It's a win-win situation, bro, and that alone shows From is better than most devs out there.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

- For those who don't like story, DS doesn't waste anyone time with cutscenes or obligaroty infodumps.

It's a win-win situation, bro, and that alone shows From is better than most devs out there.

Imagine comparing Sif/Artorias story told via couple of sentences and gameplay scenes vs. Pillars of Eternity's 5467885469 walls of text.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

This is how I already see it, actually. It doesn't really bother me that much, I'm just exaggerating for everyone's entertainment. Still, I do feel there's something rather off-putting about the game. The environments are mostly disappointing, the graphics had a layer of unpleasantness, and the setting just doesn't feel right. I could pick out a couple things I might have liked about the story, perhaps, but overall it never felt especially compelling. On the other hand, Demon's Souls does actually feel quite interesting. Dark Souls isn't lacking in atmosphere at all, but it does feel like a bunch of insubstantial fantasy stuff. I suppose I just tend to dislike fantasy in general, though. A good fantasy setting still needs to be grounded in something, or at least have an interesting enough narrative despite that, otherwise it's Strange Shit I Don't Care About. Unfortunately, Dark Souls is the latter. But the story doesn't matter anyway, right? Right. But the visuals are also still displeasing. And the environments are still kind of boring. That's just in comparison to Demon's Souls, though. The game's still so much better than any other shit that came out during the past decade. Besides, there's no way this game is shit when Dark Souls 2 is a thing that exists.

The_Mask

Patron
DERE WUZ LIEK SUM DRAGINS AND THEN FLAMES AND THEN GODS AND THEY FIGHT AND THEN STUFF HAPEPNS AND THEN EVERYONE DYING HURR DURRRR. Okay, but what does that have to do with reality? Why should I even care? I don't pay attention to dumb shit like that because it's dumb shit.

The story is stupid. It is fantasy nonsense. That's not to say I don't ‘understand’ it, but I just don't care.

A FEW DAYS LATER...

I could pick out a couple things I might have liked about the story, perhaps, but overall it never felt especially compelling. [...] I suppose I just tend to dislike fantasy in general, though.

I'm calling it: in 20 pages someone will tell him you can roll play as Heracles. There's 12 mandatory bosses. There's 12 jobs he had to finish. His mind will be blown when he pieces why boars and hydras pop up.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
There is no contradiction. Did you really think I meant I absolutely hate every single thing? Those few parts are exceptions and are only mildly interesting at best. But I suppose you're going to read everything I saw in the most narrowly, autistically literal way possible.

I'm calling it: in 20 pages someone will tell him you can roll play as Heracles. There's 12 mandatory bosses. There's 12 jobs he had to finish. His mind will be blown when he pieces why boars and hydras pop up.
WTF are you even talking about? No one gives a shit about some LARPing retard's head-canons.

The_Mask

Patron
WTF are you even talking about? No one gives a shit about some LARPing retard's head-canons.
20 pages.
I don't see you betting your account, faggot. It's over!
Oh no! My plain is foiled!

40 pages. We're gonna have to endure this mediocrity for longer, because now on top of him being completely and utterly mediocre, he'll also be stubborn now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom