Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So.
I played this shit on release, got one of the stronges headeaches in my life, because of keyboard-mouse control and shitty camera, then game was obsoleted due that nice move with GFWL shit. Played with parry, went to Copro demon only, there my head blowed.

So, bought DSR ~week ago. No headeachs. Rollig with halberd all the way, in ligth armor. I decided that going with a shield actually requires more stats-levels than I have desire to farm for. So I roll.
Sadly, had no idea you could farm gargoyle halberd from bell gargoyle, so I only have 1.
Just beat Smough and Einstein, left Einstein for phase 2. This fight got on my nerves honestly, used lightning gargoyle halberd+4, and phase 2 was hard with it. Just didn't want to get back, and go to Catacombs - yes, I spoiled many shit so I know there is someoe who could get me fire one, whish is obviously better for that faggot with spear.
Lvl 29 so far, and preferably I'll stay with it.
So far, my achievement - eliminated Copro demo from 1 try (but I remembere this shit from previous attemt and watched some streamso I knew you need rollto the right then left to dodge dogs), and I looted every body in the hollow giganic tree, and didn't lost the souls I had after eliminating spider witch.
That was actually tense hehe. Lost that ring that allow to keep everything though.
Also I would never guessed there is an illusory wall, so probably would never found giant hollow three by myself. Eh...

Silva

Arcane
Hey Unreal , you say Demon Souls had the more interesting maps and scenarios. Did you play it before DS1?

I ask because I see that a lot of people find their first contact with the series their best one. Also, I suspect every new entry in the series was an attempt to go back in a way to what Demon Souls established : the poisoned swamp, the dark underground, the castle building, etc. (I think only Bloodborne and Sekiro broke that pattern, in marvelous ways IMO)

Also, have you played BB and Sekiro? What do you think about them?

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Hey Unreal , you say Demon Souls had the more interesting maps and scenarios. Did you play it before DS1?

I ask because I see that a lot of people find their first contact with the series their best one. Also, I suspect every new entry in the series was an attempt to go back in a way to what Demon Souls established : the poisoned swamp, the dark underground, the castle building, etc. (I think only Bloodborne and Sekiro broke that pattern, in marvelous ways IMO)

Also, have you played BB and Sekiro? What do you think about them?
I did play Demon's Souls first. That would make the greater impression, of course, but I don't think it would really change my opinion much if it were otherwise. When I think about it, Dark Souls 2 actually had quite a bit more variety in its environments than DS1, but, you know, it's a mediocre game with bad graphics that was dismantled and thrown back together at the last minute, so that ends up not counting for much at all. I haven't played DS3, BB, nor Sekiro yet, though they do seem interesting enough. But of course I can't comment on them for now.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I liked the depths, screw you. The layout was challenging, and i liked that the only respite from the walls of shit was the light coming from the gaping dragon area. Praise the sun indeed.

I bet you anything people who say the maps were mediocre are the try hard retards who think anything that is too close to standard fantasy is shit by default.

With Japanese games in particular, anything that is actually grounded in reality to any degree is actually a plus, since too many Japanese games go into bizzarro territory out of an hypertrophy in visual virtuosity.

Case in point was DS3, which had too much of anything visually.

Also:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I liked the depths, screw you. The layout was challenging, and i liked that the only respite from the walls of shit was the light coming from the gaping dragon area. Praise the sun indeed.

I bet you anything people who say the maps were mediocre are the try hard retards who think anything that is too close to standard fantasy is shit by default.

With Japanese games in particular, anything that is actually grounded in reality to any degree is actually a plus, since too many Japanese games go into bizzarro territory out of an hypertrophy in visual virtuosity.

Case in point was DS3, which had too much of anything visually.

Also:

Man, this is an amazing video! I wonder what library that is?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I knew FromSoft went to Yurop to travel around and take in some inspiration but I had no idea they straight up copied some of the architecture.

No idea what the library is from but the cemetery is the old Jewish Cemetery in Prague. Havel and Ostrava are also Czech names - Havel was our first president (rebelled against the powers that be and was locked in a prison), Ostrava is a city.

Delterius

Arcane

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I knew FromSoft went to Yurop to travel around and take in some inspiration but I had no idea they straight up copied some of the architecture.

No idea what the library is from but the cemetery is the old Jewish Cemetery in Prague. Havel and Ostrava are also Czech names - Havel was our first president (rebelled against the powers that be and was locked in a prison lol), Ostrava is a city.
It's everything in the video's description.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I never complained about the layout. Just that half the game takes place in a dumpster covered in fake graphics.

What? No one's been saying that.

Yes... that's why I prefer Demon's Souls.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Inb4 ‘nuh uh, you said you don't liek fantasy lmao’

I don't care for dumbshit fantasy stories, which is most of them. But environments and magic and dragons and fancy armour are cool regardless. The story just has to make sense on a basic level and then the rest can fuck off. You'll say that's what Dark Souls did... but when the game looks like garbage and the only story that is there is precisely the shit that doesn't matter, what's so good about that? Next time I actually play the game, I'm skipping as much of those retarded locations as possible trololololo

Silva

Arcane
Honestly, the appeal of DS1 for me (besides the gameplay) was never the visuals and gfx, but how they communicate a sense of place cognizant with the premise of a world that was once great but now is left abandoned, complemented by the minimalist, almost contemplative sound tracks and effects. It's one of the most powerful combinations of lore + visuals + sound conveying an idea I've ever seen. A quality that's usually seen in "art-games" like Gris, Edith Finch, etc. and not in action games.

But then I understand that's a pretty subjective thing and not everyone will perceive it that way. A friend of mine coming from Bloodborne found DS1 just okay and kind on the bland side, for e.g., and nothing I said could make him change that perception.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom