Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
Really? The only changes I've seen is that the covenants are more easily managed and that it runs on PS4.

The QoL changes are appreciated but the new lighting ruins the atmosphere in my opinion. In my experience it was significantly buggier than the original DS which is probably due to bugs the higher framerate introduced. I wouldn't care about it if it was a free upgrade for PtD edition users on PC. I also spotted a bug with a certain NPC not jumping down to an area even though they said they would which is left over from vanilla.

Remastered is more beneficial for console users. But PC players got screwed over either way since it split the multiplayer community. But multiplayer in DS1 is pretty unfulfilling imho.

fork

Really? The only changes I've seen is that the covenants are more easily managed and that it runs on PS4.

The worst changes IMO in descending order of importance:

- lighting! It's all kinds of fucked up. Every single scene looks different due to lighting alone, and worse in every single case. Most notable are transitions between areas though, like entering Blighttown from Valley of Drakes, or Lost Izalith from Blighttown, or Duke's Archives from Anor Londo, or Darkroot Garden from Undead Parish just after Andre. It's all so jarring, so unbelievably bad, and I could continue going here.
- again lighting, but a different point since it's interacting with textures, maybe shaders. Armors and weapons which looked like fucking metal in Prepare to Die Edition now look like plastic, without exception.
- no more Depth of Field. While this is a sign of console decline in most titles especially around the year 2010 +/- a couple years, Dark Souls was designed with DoF in mind, which everyone can easily check: the cemetary right beyond Firelink, the view from Firelink towards Undead Burg, the view from outside Havel's Tower towards the Hydra, every view in Blighttown, down the elevator, up the elevator, and every other direction, all views right before and in the Gaping Dragon boss fight, as well as the Seath boss fight. The view from Darkroot Garden bonfire towards the Moonlight butterfly.. and in all other directions... I'll stop here, but you'll believe me if I tell you that this destroys the dream-like atmosphere that helped make Dark Souls feel so special.
- several sorceries, miracles and pyromancies, all of which looked better in the original/Prepare to Die Edition.
- the bonfire shader & transition screen which have both been taken from Dark Souls 3 and derive the Remaster of the last bit of atmosphere it still had... but oh, wait...
- the torches, which went from atmosphere-galore in PtDE to in your face over-saturated shit in remaster. Especially jarring in New Londo Ruins, but bad throughout the entire game.
- and then there's the last point on my list, which might be way higher on other people's lists, which is matchmaking, the details of which I don't feel like explaining here, because it's kinda intricate. Suffice to say that not only can you no longer gank noobs as a SL1 pro anymore, but it's also way harder to meet with your bros for coop now.

I'm sure I missed a couple of things, but I'm also sure I've made my point clear: Dark Souls: Remaster is NOT Dark Souls and is to be avoided at all costs.

Last edited by a moderator:

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Ditched lost izalith and went back to ToG with the sunlight maggot, enjoyment of game immediately resumed. I'm actually laughing at how bad Izalith was right now, I refuse to believe that was made by the same people.

fork

Lost Izalith is not as bad as everyone says it is. Unfortunately, Lost Izalith has also gotten worse in the 'Remaster'.
The worst thing about Lost Izalith always was and still is Bed of Chaos, the one bad thing about Dark Souls.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
As for the remaster, well... I've played the game for hundreds (if not thousands) of hours on a PS3, I've played the remaster for about 30 hours on a PS4, haven't noticed any real visual difference. I was happy to see that multiplayer was alive...

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
haven't noticed any real visual difference.
Get your eyes checked at an ophthalmologist.
RVJ7vx4.png

pt5FWpM.png

Bn3qbag.png

XTdISo1.png

eLIskJV.png

jdHdKh5.png

kEgmVYK.png

The one on the right, that is consistently worse, is the remaster.

Such a fucking ripoff.

Textures are garbage (why? a remaster doesn't need 4k whatever but at least it shouldn't feature WORSE details like on the armor sets), light is flattened - no more natural 'shine' to different elements, and 'absorption' of light in elements that are darker under the same light source. Meanwhile you've got those spells that look extremely sharp in a game that doesn't look so sharp (low resolution textures vs super sharp shaders = feels like you're looking at a photoshop/amateur collage, no consistency in medium). The people who did this have no business working in the industry.

Elwro

Arcane
This doesn't look at all like the remaster I'm playing on my PS4. (I fully agree that what you posted looks like shit, of course.)

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
This doesn't look at all like the remaster I'm playing on my PS4. (I fully agree that what you posted looks like shit, of course.)
It's the same on all platforms except, AFAIK, the switch remaster, that one was supposedly done by a dev team that knew wtf they were doing.
Screenshoted a ps4 video :
KXq4YhP.png

Yeah yeah youtube compression and all but the texture is still not the one that was in DS1 proper. I know it's hard to admit but you've spent money on the inferior product.

Falksi

Arcane
My mate owns the remaster, and it looks shite compared to the original. Especially with the armour textures.

Elwro

Arcane
I just wanted to have some multiplayer fun again (after spending a ridiculous amount of time with the PS3 version, which I can safely say was the best game I played in my life). And I did; good time was had by all. If there were any visual differences, I haven't noticed them while playing. Of course I understand some people are unhappy the game doesn't look good on their machines, but well, again, if there were any changes in how my PS4 handled the visual part of the game compared to how PS3 had done it, they didn't detract from the whole awesome experience.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
This is like artificially adjusting the contrast slider on a photo on photoshop. It still doesn't bring back the actual shine on armor, the level of detail of certain textures, the inconsistent look of the game vs the sorcery and miracle shaders and so on.

But at least the lighting might look a little less dogshit that way I guess.

Latelistener

Arcane
It's the same on all platforms except, AFAIK, the switch remaster, that one was supposedly done by a dev team that knew wtf they were doing.
The Switch version has overcompressed sounds, so the only way to play the game properly is to play PTDE on PC with DSFix.

I expect them to announce a remake in a few years though. I highly doubt it will be by From, so it will be Remastered all over again.

fork

The Switch version has overcompressed sounds, so the only way to play the game properly is to play PTDE on PC with DSFix.

I expect them to announce a remake in a few years though. I highly doubt it will be by From, so it will be Remastered all over again.

Yeah, and the geniuses will remaster the Remaster and make it even worse.

Latelistener

Arcane
? The only way to play the game properly is to play PTDE on a PS3...
It runs and looks like shit on past gen. You can do 4K / 30fps on PC easily though.

Besides, consoletards didn't even know this game existed until it came to PC and became famous.

Elwro

Arcane
? The only way to play the game properly is to play PTDE on a PS3...
With silky-smooth 13 fps?
I played it that way and had the time of my gaming life. People keep exaggerating this issue. It only materializes in Blighttown really, but that area is a nightmare anyway when you play it for the first time, and would still be in 60 fps.

Mosquitoes hitting you through walls, that was and still is an issue :) The framerate doesn't hamper your gameplay in PS3 Dark Souls at all.

As for consoletards 'not knowing' about DS before it became famous on PC (which is by itself a debatable claim), I see you haven't heard about the little title called 'Demon's Souls', which originated the series; then again, you wouldn't, if you're only interested in PC titles, but then your beliefs about what console players know and don't know aren't worth shit.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
the lamest design decision in DS is to have a very hard boss fight, and make the player run for 10 minutes back through a gauntlet of enemies before they can try again. I'm at the end of the game now and I'm totally over it.

I hope ds2 does away with this shit.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
wat

Oh, are you talking about Seath?

No, I'm talking in general. The game does this over and over, and now I'm up to gwyn and I'm just fed up with it, it's such lame padding. Dying isn't rage-inducing, knowing I'll have to run 10 minutes and fight some scrubs or dodge them just to try again is alt-f4 material.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, I'm talking in general. The game does this over and over, and now I'm up to gwyn and I'm just fed up with it, it's such lame padding. Dying isn't rage-inducing, knowing I'll have to run 10 minutes and fight some scrubs or dodge them just to try again is alt-f4 material.
If only the tutorial would've explained how to parry to you. Such a shame...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom