Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Mace is so bitchin'. Two-hand that shit and go kick some fat armored ass.

Darklurker - I infused Rebel Greatshield +10 with dark and that douche couldn't deal any damage.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So I'm doing a playthrough with a cleric who won't use bladed weapons. Any good weapons that fit that catagory? I'm using a regular +10 mace right now (debated infusing with lighting but I decided my lightning spears were good enough) and it's doing the job but I would like to upgrade if there's anything better.

Dual wield maces and ravage everything.

EDIT: How to become immune to magic!

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane

i agree with almost everything. the more i play and think about it, the more of a disappointment the game is. such a massive clusterfuck of a game :(

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
In my two cents of it, just listen to the first few lines of the video; it's a good game, but in alot of different ways it's a step down from DS1/DeS, and an overall disappointment. I've played through it twice and don't regret the time I have invested in it, but I can't help but feel as though it's lacking the initial spark that made Dark Souls 1 so great.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
In my my two cents of it, just listen to the first few lines of the video; it's a good game, but in alot of different ways it's a step down from DS1, and an overall disappointment. I've played through it twice and don't regret the time I have invested in it, but I can't help but feel as though it's lacking the initial spark that made Dark Souls 1 so great.

pretty much, yeah. i'm still playing it and half-enjoying it. but almost all the time i'm playing i think about how massively they fucked up some things (like the stuff the guy in the video pointed out, that i myself pointed out previously). from bosses, to music, to enemies, to cheapness, to recycling... as the dude said at the end (and some others here, myself included, pointed out some weeks ago), Dark Souls 2 is a Souls game without a soul (pun not intended). i'm very likely going to play it just for PvP soon enough, but the PvE is so boring i'm actually unhappy they're trying to ban MegaMule accounts 'cause now i'd be more than happy to use one instead of replaying the game for the 5th time for a new build (soul vessels only respec your stats, you still have to farm and farm and farm in superboring, tedious ways for shitloads of upgrade materials [that aren't regular titanite] or, satan forbid, rare drop items)...

...and then i actually try to engage in the online component, and i'm left utterly speechless at the sheer incompetence displayed by From's programmers. monkeys mashing on a keyboard would've come up with a better netcode (and more functional SM system) in 3-5mins than the sorry excuses for software engineers working at From.

praetor you sound like you really dislike Dark Souls 2 like it was Oblivion bad.

the drop in quality from DaS1 to DaS2 is not that far compared to TES3 to 4, with the notable exception that DaS2 actually improved on some things (but completely fucked up on stuff that made the first 2 games special, so while it is definitely nowhere near as bad as oblivion, fuck it's nowhere near a bad game at all, the downgrade in quality when you look only at the franchise as a whole, is actually comparable now that you mention it)

DragoFireheart

the drop in quality from DaS1 to DaS2 is not that far compared to TES3 to 4, with the notable exception that DaS2 actually improved on some things (but completely fucked up on stuff that made the first 2 games special, so while it is definitely nowhere near as bad as oblivion, fuck it's nowhere near a bad game at all, the downgrade in quality when you look only at the franchise as a whole, is actually comparable now that you mention it)

So like Morrowind to Oblivion comparison? The video made a lot of good points btw.

When (not if) Dark Souls 3 comes out, I will wait and see. I may or may not pre-order it. It's possible that the game was a learning experience for the directors. As for the netcode, they need to hire new people and fire the current ones.

well the only thing that matters to me is that after+200hours in DS2 i feel no need to get back to DS1:M. none. not at all. and i doubt i will ever feel. even with as broken game as DS2 there is simply more shit to do in-game than in DS1.

So like Morrowind to Oblivion comparison?

thats fucking harsh dude

DragoFireheart

thats fucking harsh dude

I was asking praetor if that's the comparison he was referring to.

I think the video makes some solid point but it also nitpicks quite a bit. Seeing the video maker complain about the spider shooting a laser was exceptionally retarded. The video maker is also unaware of how open the game is at the start by claiming that only Heides Tower anf FotG is open: it's very easy to open up all of the areas early on. Also, his complaints about shortcuts was also sorta asinine and contradictory as in one breath he complains about a lack of shortcuts to a boss but in the next whines when you can easily run past enemies. Also his complains about lack of loop-around or whatever was stupid. I won't comment on the story yet as I haven't beaten the final boss. In terms of level design Dark Souls 2 doesn't fail nearly as badly as Dark Souls 1, whole first whole. Dark Souls 1 first half was well done but the latter half was pure shit. Dark Souls 2 didn't have that issue.

EDIT: Also his complaint about anything covenant related is VERY fucking retarded. :retarded: If people are limited to covenants that would further hurt the issues with them that they have now in NG. Allowing people to freely switch was actually a good change as it helps ensure there will be enough players for any covenant.

There are issues with Dark Souls 2 that are quite apparently a result of a new director that if he does not learn from will result in me not buying anymore of the Souls games, but while the video touches on some issues with the game it's a bit too banal and picky for my tastes.

praetor

Arcane
So like Morrowind to Oblivion comparison?

in a way, yes. it does sound harsh (and it is), but when you think about it, it makes sense. Oblivion, compared to Morrowind, completely fucked up the lore and setting, among other things, which is not far from what DaS2 did with the "vague on purpose" references to DaS1, and very lazy, cheap, and shitty level design (and world design that's actually worse than oblivion. yeah, i went there). except, as i said, DaS2 also improved upon shitloads of (only) mechanical stuff. again, still a great game, better than 99% of games out there, but the more i play it, the less it is a "worthy" sequel (fuck, i just noticed that Souls Marketing Plant #1 Vaati commented on that video and... he pretty much agrees with most of it?! did i cross a parallel dimension at some point? i guess now our very own meanwhileInPotatoland is the #1 DaS2 Marketing Plant)

DragoFireheart

in a way, yes. it does sound harsh (and it is), but when you think about it, it makes sense. Oblivion, compared to Morrowind, completely fucked up the lore and setting, among other things, which is not far from what DaS2 did with the "vague on purpose" references to DaS1, and very lazy, cheap, and shitty level design (and world design that's actually worse than oblivion. yeah, i went there). except, as i said, DaS2 also improved upon shitloads of (only) mechanical stuff. again, still a great game, better than 99% of games out there, but the more i play it, the less it is a "worthy" sequel (fuck, i just noticed that Souls Marketing Plant #1 Vaati commented on that video and... he pretty much agrees with most of it?! did i cross a parallel dimension at some point? i guess now our very own meanwhileInPotatoland is the #1 DaS2 Marketing Plant)

I think that comparison is quite harsh. More like a Fallout 1 -> Fallout 2 comparison: mechanically superior and better, but steps back in other ways along with a weaker story.

The video is exceptionally harsh and I only agree with half of it.

i am having more fun with DS2 but i would choose DS1 over DS2 in next RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs or any polls like that.

completely fucked up the lore and setting, among other things, which is not far from what DaS2 did with the "vague on purpose" references to DaS1

so how does "shitty" lore in DS2 fuck up lore of Souls universe? any specific examples?

DragoFireheart

I found this comment very interesting:

Kichiran
11 hours ago (edited)

A lot of the critiques are on point but you can't really think that hordes have only been a problem in Dark Souls 2. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls had much more bullshit with hordes. Nothing in Dark Souls 2 comes close to the bullshit of 4-2 skeleton ledges, not even the Undead Crypt with the hilariously easy Syan Knights.

Also, DaS2 was supposedly designed more for FROM fans rather than just Souls fans. I know a few King's Field/Shadow Tower fans that love it the most because it (supposedly) incorporates a lot of aspects from those games.

praetor

Arcane
Seeing the video maker complain about the spider shooting a laser was exceptionally retarded.

it isn't. it was just to show how little the new team cared for details (which is unlike the previous Souls games)

The video maker is also unaware of how open the game is at the start by claiming that only Heides Tower anf FotG is open: it's very easy to open up all of the areas early on.

sorry, but here you're the retarded one. you pretty much confirm his point and contradict your own in your very statement. only FoFG and Heide are open from the start, you have to open the others (which, again, is unlike the first 2 games)

Also, his complaints about shortcuts was also sorta asinine and contradictory as in one breath he complains about a lack of shortcuts to a boss but in the next whines when you can easily run past enemies.

again, you completely missed the point. but i'm getting tired

Also his complains about lack of loop-around or whatever was stupid. I won't comment on the story yet as I haven't beaten the final boss. In terms of level design Dark Souls 2 doesn't fail nearly as badly as Dark Souls 1, whole first whole. Dark Souls 1 first half was well done but the latter half was pure shit. Dark Souls 2 didn't have that issue.

complains about the lack of loop-around? where? DaS2 doesn't have the issue of shitty 2nd half? Drangleic castle is quite atmospheric, but it's a pretty shitty area. Shrine of Amanda we all agree is utter shit. Undead Crypt is the only decent area in the 2nd half (but it has that issue of that lazily designed final corridor, as the dude pointed out, even though it's kinda "lore justified"). Aldia? shitttastic. Derp aerie? supershittastic. Derp shrine? shit. Memories? utter shit. at least DaS1 in the 2nd half had Duke's and even the Tomb (and Painted World, and the DLC, although that's a bit unfair), the only thing DaS2 has is visuals (they look cool, but as far as actual levels go, they're barely more than popamole linear corridors with 1-2 "loot side-rooms") and is about 4 times more linear (which i explained earlier, with actual numbers, and numbers don't lie)

DragoFireheart

it isn't. it was just to show how little the new team cared for details (which is unlike the previous Souls games)

Then Buterflys shooting lasers means DK1 team despised Demon's Souls. :D

sorry, but here you're the retarded one. you pretty much confirm his point and contradict your own in your very statement. only FoFG and Heide are open from the start, you have to open the others (which, again, is unlike the first 2 games)

1-1 is only open from the start in Demon's Souls. Dark Souls 1 requires you to have a ring to open all the other stuff he mentions. Dark Souls 2 requires you to buy a ring to open up another area and to talk to an NPC for a 2nd.

It's an asinine complaint.

again, you completely missed the point. but i'm getting tired

:D don't bitch that you are getting tired of my opinion on his critique when you're the one that responded to me.

complains about the lack of loop-around? where? DaS2 doesn't have the issue of shitty 2nd half? Drangleic castle is quite atmospheric, but it's a pretty shitty area. Shrine of Amanda we all agree is utter shit. Undead Crypt is the only decent area in the 2nd half (but it has that issue of that lazily designed final corridor, as the dude pointed out, even though it's kinda "lore justified"). Aldia? shitttastic. Derp aerie? supershittastic. Derp shrine? shit. Memories? utter shit. at least DaS1 in the 2nd half had Duke's and even the Tomb (and Painted World, and the DLC, although that's a bit unfair), the only thing DaS2 has is visuals (they look cool, but as far as actual levels go, they're barely more than popamole linear corridors with 1-2 "loot side-rooms") and is about 4 times more linear (which i explained earlier, with actual numbers, and numbers don't lie)

All three games are linear. Having a couple more ladders to knock down in Dark Souls 1 compared to Dark Souls 2 doesn't make it less linear.

EDIT:
Only Shrine of Amanda stood out as a really shitty area with Amanda Homing Missiles. The complaint about the corridor for Undead Crypt was dumb. Alida and Dragon Aerie were no more linear than Lost Izalith or New Londo. Dragon Shrine was all about the tougher enemies.

The impression I'm getting from you is that you bought into the hype too much and you got disappointed.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

Another interesting comment:

ThePensivePen

7 hours ago

+wanadeena Actually much of the original team are absent from this game. There's a comparison of the credits online, and while some familiar faces remain, many new people were brought in and old ones gone entirely. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls by comparison had many of the same people working on both of them. The main difference was the lack of support from Sony people in Dark Souls.

It explains why in some ways this game feels like a "first" rather than a superior sequel. They swapped out more people than just the director. Pretty impressive actually (ignoring the atrocious net code).

TheRomanticore

14 hours ago

+Matthewmatosis People actually found out after digging around in the files of the Dark Souls II beta tests on PS3. Literally the only things that the host servers deal with are messages, summon signs, invasions, and ghosts that inhabit the world. ALL player connections are P2P, meaning that lag is an issue. Even so, Dark Souls I doesn't suffer from the insane lag that happens in Dark Souls II. Couple this issue with the lazy hitboxes of weapons in PvP, the entire system is completely wrecked. If you ever plan on making a critique video of the PvP and the absolutely poor mechanics and design choices, feel free to contact me or someone else on Twitch about the issues. They need to be heard.

They're still using P2P connections. praetor!

Leandro Perez
12 hours ago

43:00

"The game reminds you about forgetting, this could of been a compelling theme, but the game itself does little to back it up."

If you payed attention at all in the game, your goal is to cure the curse, but you end up forgetting that goal and become a pawn doing the orders of the Emarld Hearld...

The comments aren't too nasty and have revealing stuff in them.

Last edited:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
But you don't forget that goal because you can't force the player to forget something. Whether that was intended or not doesn't matter because the player would still have to forget and you can't make that happen.

DragoFireheart

But you don't forget that goal because you can't force the player to forget something. Whether that was intended or not doesn't matter because the player would still have to forget and you can't make that happen.

Seeing the number of people complaining "why do I want to go to the Throne/King"? is sorta indirect evidence that people were being forgetful.

80Maxwell08

Arcane

Seeing the number of people complaining "why do I want to go to the Throne/King"? is sorta indirect evidence that people were being forgetful.
No because no one ever says why. No one does. The first thing the emerald maiden says to you is "Are you the next monarch?". The curse is never brought up by her. She just says go to the king then become the king. Then a bunch of other people either talk about just being cursed or the king. I don't think anyone ever brings up any details about the curse or how to actually cure the curse and for a game whose theme is supposed to be curse that's a big problem.

DragoFireheart

No because she never says why. No one does. The first thing she says to you is "Are you the next monarch?". The curse is never brought up by her. She just says go to the king then become the king. I don't think anyone ever brings up how to actually cure the curse and for a game whose theme is supposed to be curse that's a big problem.

She acknowledges that you are the bearer of the curse yet focuses on you being the next king. I'll be beating the game soon so I'll be able to focus more on this point, but considering the misleading crap that happened in the previous game her motives don't strike me as being honest.

EDIT: I think both me and praetor agree that Dark Souls 2 was a downgrade as a whole. The disagreement seems to be the degree, with praetor thinking Morrowind -> Oblivion while I think it's more like Fallout 1 -> Fallout 2. Fallout 2 was mechanically superior to the first but fell short in many storyline and lore areas. Calling it Morrowind -> Oblivion comparable bad is just stupid and reeks of nostalgia.

Last edited:

Castanova

Prophet
Downloading that shit right now on my PC.

Even if the overall game quality is a bit weaker than DS1, the fact that DS2 is consistent quality through (or even better towards the end) means I bet I'll end up spending more time with it and enjoying it more. Maybe even try some speed-running.

praetor

Arcane
They're still using P2P connections.

dear fucking god. i know, and i said as much about a dozen fucking times. i also addressed the "points" you had (especially about linearity. it's not about "throwing ladders around" it's about good fucking level design and not putting bonfires every 150 meters. his example of the Copse is fucking excellent in addressing how the 2 teams went about designing the levels. the 1st actually thought about it, while the 2nd went about plastering it with bonfires because it was the easy and lazy way out) in more detail previously, but for some "reading is t3h h4rd" apparently.

The comments aren't too nasty and have revealing stuff in them.

that's so fucking wrong on so many levels. you did not forget anything, most people with more than 2 neurons in their brain actually dislike the plot of DaS2 because it throws around shit haphazardly, it's not that you forget, it's that it's a shitty plot point/transition, you don't forget, you're just forced into the shitty plot, while this dude's reaction is basically "but hey this is From so it actually has a deeper meaning, it's not the team having no clue how to tell a story and particularly how to pace it"... "it's a feature, not a bug!" you'll exclaim next[/quote]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom