Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
They didn't balance anything, they tweaked numbers on certain spells, enemy tracking rates, and took away the buffing ability of the Moonlight greatsword. If you call that balancing, that proves my point about the sheer ignorance of the DS community. Balance to me would be giving twinblade, whips, ultragreatswords/ultragreathammers, fist weapons, and the other weird weapons gap closers and better damage to actually make them viable. I'd also like to see normal weapon scaling be made a lot better, since atm people are forced to buff their weapons with magic to make them viable in pvp.

Ah, so because a new team making a sequel to Dark Souls didn't "balance" the game the way YOU envisioned, they don't give a flying fuck.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/22rrez/official_patch_notes_for_version_103_calibration/

This is what AngryEddy believes.

The troll, dont feed it. Or did you already forget gems from this guy like the "omfg Anor Londo is modeled After real world location; wtf this graveyard looks like a real life graveyard, gonna boycott From Software now those filthy thieves"? :lol:

I remember those posts. I just want to hear what AngryEddy has to say before he decides that I'm no longer worth of his holy scripture and puts me on his ignore list again.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
They didn't balance anything, they tweaked numbers on certain spells, enemy tracking rates, and took away the buffing ability of the Moonlight greatsword. If you call that balancing, that proves my point about the sheer ignorance of the DS community. Balance to me would be giving twinblade, whips, ultragreatswords/ultragreathammers, fist weapons, and the other weird weapons gap closers and better damage to actually make them viable. I'd also like to see normal weapon scaling be made a lot better, since atm people are forced to buff their weapons with magic to make them viable in pvp.

Ah, so because a new team making a sequel to Dark Souls didn't "balance" the game the way YOU envisioned, they don't give a flying fuck.

Can you stop misframing my fucking quotes, you faggot? If you like seeing havel-mages, Vase-DualAvelyns, and other people using the same weapons EVERY fight you get in, well, then you get the game you deserve. I personally would like to see people using whips and other weird weapons, but I guess i'm just a selfish idiot.

I like content diversity in my game, if that makes me unreasonably selfish in this communities eyes, well, then that kind of tells you just how different we are. But you know what we really need? More Gargoyles and more half-woman, half-bug bosses. I think that's the right direction.

DragoFireheart

Can you stop misframing my fucking quotes, you faggot? If you like seeing havel-mages, Vase-DualAvelyns, and other people using the same weapons EVERY fight you get in, well, then you get the game you deserve. I personally would like to see people using whips and other weird weapons, but I guess i'm just a selfish idiot.

Who's misframing who now? :D

I like content diversity in my game, if that makes me unreasonably selfish in this communities eyes, well, then that kind of tells you just how different we are. But you know what we really need? More Gargoyles and more half-woman, half-bug bosses. I think that's the right direction.

I do as well, but claiming From doesn't care about balance when they just released a fucking patch attempting to fix some broken shit is beyond asinine. Just because they didn't make Whips and Ladles PvP viable doesn't mean they want to destroy the series like they (according to you) did to the Armored Core series.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Honestly I don't care too much about them trying to balance PVP when their connections are fucking terrible. I would rather them spend all their time on fixing that.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
1. Who's misframing who now? :D

2. Just because they didn't make Whips and Ladles PvP viable doesn't mean they want to destroy the series like they (according to you) did to the Armored Core series.

1. I don't know, lets get to the bottom of it. I bet we'll find out in the next part

2. Did I say anything about Ladles or FROM wanting to destroy the series? I said they just don't give a shit, and/or they're becoming lazy which is contributing towards the decline. Believe it or not, having a large sycophantic fanbase that tells you everything you do is perfect, and will pay $100 for collectors editions will breed this mentality in video game companies. I also don't care about the ladle, nor did I mention it, so there's your answer to your question.

The arrogance of the DS community is amazing:

Nobody thought the Elder Scrolls would go to shit after Morrowind. It did.

Nobody thought Fallout would go to shit after Fallout 1,2. It did.

Nobody thought Zelda would go to shit after OoT and MM. It did.

Do you people honestly believe your beloved franchise is above the general self-destructive ways of the industry? Stop looking at this game as this fucking sacred cow. If you psychos really care about this series, the absolute worst thing you could do for it is to shield it from criticism.

Kanedias

Savant
v6dni47.jpg

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
At least the bell-tower covenant is fun.

His argument does highlight the basic problem with the covenants right now: the requirements for invading as a red phantom are simply too demanding and the reward so insignificant that it's far more viable to join either the rat covenant or the bell tower guardians. This has a knock-on effect for the Way of Blue, as nobody's scared of being invaded, which means nobody's joining the Blue Sentinels since nobody needs protecting.

Kanedias

Savant
Red Invasions are completely borked.

1) It's harder to invade

2) It's less rewarding and the matchmaking system actually matches you against hosts with phantoms on purpose, they have higher priority than the rest

3) The invadee pool is now huge, spreading the smaller amount of invaders too thin.

I have yet to be invaded on my second character at all, and I was human for 2 playthroughs and I farm items and such while online, still no red invasions there.

This caused the Way of Blue to become useless and an entire aspect of the Blue Sentinels to die.

praetor

Arcane
^that just shows how inexperienced and clueless most of the team (particularly the new directors) really is. yes, the combat mechanics were improved, and the weapon upgrades were made better. that's about it, when it comes to improvements. the rest either stayed the same or got worse

Old Dragonslayer is not "a nice nostalgia moment". it would've been if the previous incarnation was in a game 10 years ago, not the direct prequel not even 3 years old. it's shitty copy paste, not "nice nostalgia"

Gargoyles have almost the exact same moveset and animations as the DaS1 ones (horizontal swipe, vertical slam, tail swipe, fire breath) with 1-2 new moves (an electric attack i saw once... maybe others but i did not see them). more != better (or different, for that matter)

Najka is a retread of "half naked chick half insect" (yes, like the asylum/firesage/stray demons were retreads of themselves and of the vanguard from DeS), but yeah the actual fight is different (but it doesn't help the feel of "they can't decide if they want to do something original or crappily reference the first 2 games")

Rat Authority is pretty much an ugly Sif but with an incredibly annoying, shitty, stupid hitbox

i don't know about others, i did not find any mob horde in the game particularly cheap or difficult. it's the absolutely abhorrent hitboxes that make them cheap. when you connect with something that has barely begun it's combat animation (by "barely begun" i mean "it's so early, the animation hasn't even started playing yet") and yet it damages you anyway, it's lazy, cheap and shit, not hard, challenging or interesting. when an enemy's attack connects and damages you even when you were a couple of meters outside of its range or even behind (talking PvE, not PvP here, just to be clear), it's lazy, cheap and shit, not hard, challenging or interesting. when there are bosses and mobs that can, for all intents and purposes, OHKO you, it's lazy, cheap and shit, not hard, challenging or interesting. this isn't DMC3 in DMD mode, the combat mechanics aren't built for this kind of cheap shit. and as the dude pointed out in his example in the Throne Watcher/Defender, it's not particularly difficult or interesting, just time consuming circling around and attacking once every minute. and throwing hordes of enemies with quite a bit of HP and damage, in front of a boss fog, is not interesting, just lazy (yes, the shitty UC pre-boss room)

you found the Magus... interesting? give me some of those drugs, please. Ancient Dragon? Vendrick? Giant Lord? Capra is crap lazy design because it has adds in small cramped room, but NG+ Flexile isn't even though it has the same problem, but worse because of the different poise mechanics (i.e. stunlock galore), adds having 10 times the health and damage of dogs and you're on a timer?! dude, come on... (but yeah, non-cheesing Darklurker is one of the best Souls bosses. a pity the Dark Chasm is one of the most idiotically designed areas in Souls)

EDIT: for those who missed since apparently he deleted it (?!), Vaati made valid observation: by changing the healing mechanics and making them more than DeS-level popamole, but animations taking forever, they pretty much removed the "exploration tension" from Souls and moved it completely to "combat tension"

EDIT: I think both me and praetor agree that Dark Souls 2 was a downgrade as a whole. The disagreement seems to be the degree, with praetor thinking Morrowind -> Oblivion while I think it's more like Fallout 1 -> Fallout 2. Fallout 2 was mechanically superior to the first but fell short in many storyline and lore areas. Calling it Morrowind -> Oblivion comparable bad is just stupid and reeks of nostalgia.

you really need to start paying attention when you read. i said, "in a way yes, but blah blah blah and blah so blah", that does not mean what you think i said. you're the stupid one here

So because he found one example of a badly balanced bonfire that's likely remnant from the Dark Environment that was going to be used but was instead scrapped due to beta testers complaining about it, it means the entire game was lazily designed?

That tree-log shortcut was the only example that comes to mind of a poorly placed shortcut. I do agree that there are too many bonfires though. There should only be half as many bonfires.

that was just one example to illustrate the point. do you honestly think he should've pointed out every occurrence of badly placed shortcuts (there are barely any shortcuts in the game since the lazy designers took the easy way out and just put bonfires everywhere. why think of a cool level where you can unlock shortcuts if you explore a bit, or god forbid even shortcuts from a bonfire in a previous level!, when you can just spam bonfires in your face everywhere? it's at least the 5th time i repeat the same thing)

DragoFireheart

2. Did I say anything about Ladles or FROM wanting to destroy the series?

You specifically mentioned weird weapons. Ladle is a weird weapon. How you failed to make this connection is baffling.

I said they just don't give a shit, and/or they're becoming lazy which is contributing towards the decline. Believe it or not, having a large sycophantic fanbase that tells you everything you do is perfect, and will pay $100 for collectors editions will breed this mentality in video game companies. I also don't care about the ladle, nor did I mention it, so there's your answer to your question.

The arrogance of the DS community is amazing:

Nobody thought the Elder Scrolls would go to shit after Morrowind. It did.

Nobody thought Fallout would go to shit after Fallout 1,2. It did.

Nobody thought Zelda would go to shit after OoT and MM. It did.

Do you people honestly believe your beloved franchise is above the general self-destructive ways of the industry? Stop looking at this game as this fucking sacred cow. If you psychos really care about this series, the absolute worst thing you could do for it is to shield it from criticism.

Nice strawmen.

No one is shielding Dark Souls 2 from criticism. In fact (if you read my posts), I made it quite clear that there are flaws in this game and it doesn't live up to the first game. I even agreed with points that the video that praetor posted. We simply differ on the degree. What the fuck more do you want from me? Would you rather I trash the game and compare it to Fallout 3 or Dragon Age 2? Would that satisfy you?

you really need to start paying attention when you read. i said, "in a way yes, but blah blah blah and blah so blah", that does not mean what you think i said. you're the stupid one here

That reeks of semantics, but fine.

Is the decline as severe as Morrowind to Oblivion: yes or no? Don't post an entire fucking paragraph just a one word answer.

that was just one example to illustrate the point. do you honestly think he should've pointed out every occurrence of badly placed shortcuts (there are barely any shortcuts in the game since the lazy designers took the easy way out and just put bonfires everywhere. why think of a cool level where you can unlock shortcuts if you explore a bit, or god forbid even shortcuts from a bonfire in a previous level!, when you can just spam bonfires in your face everywhere? it's at least the 5th time i repeat the same thing)

Because it's a new team trying to re-create the Soul's experience. I'd be far more worried if it was the same team that made Dark Souls 1 that did this or if this was Dark Souls 3 and they were still fucking shit up. From has a new team, they're inexperienced, they bit off more than they could chew, here's Dark Soul 2. For their first attempt, not too bad, B+. I'm actually impressed the game wasn't a disaster now knowing all of that.

praetor

Arcane
Is the decline as severe as Morrowind to Oblivion: yes or no? Don't post an entire fucking paragraph just a one word answer.

no (but it's not so simple. nothing ever is. so fuck you :P)

Because it's a new team trying to re-create the Soul's experience. I'd be far more worried if it was the same team that made Dark Souls 1 that did this or if this was Dark Souls 3 and they were still fucking shit up. From has a new team, they're inexperience, they bit off more than they could chew, here's Dark Soul 2. For their first attempt, not too bad, B+. I'm actually impressed the game wasn't a disaster now knowing all of that.

i wholeheartedly agree with this (i had no idea, up until a couple of days ago, that it was almost a whole different team). it's just that this team doesn't inspire confidence they know what they even want to do

WHERE'S MA DYNAMIC LIGHTING?

in the inevitable money-grubbing next-gen port (and hopefully then a PC patch)

DragoFireheart

no (but it's not so simple. nothing ever is. so fuck you :P)

:D

I understood the analogy you were using. I was just confused on the degree.

i wholeheartedly agree with this (i had no idea, up until a couple of days ago, that it was almost a whole different team). it's just that this team doesn't inspire confidence they know what they even want to do

But this is ok. I knew the level design felt rough much like how I played Demon's Souls after Dark Souls and now it makes perfect sense why. If things go well then you should expect Dark Souls 3 to be a vast improvement. If things go to shit you'll have more straight hallways full of dev-added Praise the Sun messages and Havel generic Black Phantoms.

EDIT: Assuming they make a DLC, they should wait awhile and get feed back on how they can improve their skills. The DLC will be a flag (red or green) for the future of the Soul series. The lack of day-1 DLC areas ala moronic shit like Mass Effect 3 is a good sign.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh that is so noble of you eddy, you feel sort of our jehovah witness to bear judgments on our false faith in a fucking videogame of all things
Jesus you are so pathetic looking for attention like a littel bitch
I know praetor is secretly in love with Drago and that is why he gets on his case but you are simply a sad little kid who might feel elated his opinions are shared by someone and he feel popular

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
How come From got a new team for DaS2???
Parts of the old one could have gone with Miyazaki for whatever his new project is.

He still is at From, right?
Yeah he's still there just working on something different.
Which is very possible to be the next Armored Core, given his history with the series before Souls games (his best game is still For Answer).

i agree with almost everything. the more i play and think about it, the more of a disappointment the game is. such a massive clusterfuck of a game :(

is that the video where one annoying fucker complains about "damage to his immersion because you start the game as a male by default even before the character creation and the opening cinematic depicts a male undead" ? :lol::lol::lol:

praetor

Arcane
he... he learned how to quote properly?! and it took him only 950 posts! good job, kiddo! maybe next time you won't be hung up on one minuscule part of a 50min long critique to try and discredit the author just because you're a slobbering, cocksucking, cumguzzling fanboy. one day you'll understand that people like you are the harbingers of the decline

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom