Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's is the one meanwhileinpoland and he even whines that the red haze in the boss cinematics ruin his immershun too
He has some points but 80% of his video is pitpicking and whinning
What sickens me more is all the retards who were enjoying the game a week ago are now siding with him and how he opened their eyes; look at that spineless manwhore Vaati after peddling the game he had played weeks before us (where he would have found those problems first) now he comes out with his ass kissing trying to get some respect back from the comunity

he... he learned how to quote properly?! and it took him only 950 posts! good job, kiddo! maybe next time you won't be hung up on one minuscule part of a 50min long critique to try and discredit the author just because you're a slobbering, cocksucking, cumguzzling fanboy. one day you'll understand that people like you are the harbingers of the decline
why would i listen to his ramblings for one fucking hour when he discredits himself as a fucking retard in very first minute of this video?

harbringer of decline:lol::lol::lol: good one. i wil take it over being a guy who spent as much time playing the game as bashing it and posting on forum how it pains him to play this crap.

god forbid someone enjoy this game as much as the previous ones:roll:

praetor

Arcane
harbringer of decline:lol::lol::lol: good one. i wil take it over being a guy who spent as much time playing the game as bashing it and posting on forum how it pains him to play this crap.

you're the reason we can't have nice things. you're part of the problem. and you're so stupid you can't even see it (duh). i hope you're not referring to me in those random moronic ramblings, 'cause nowhere did i say anything of the sort. but the lack of reading comprehension is expected from retards

Kanedias

Savant
^that just shows how inexperienced and clueless most of the team (particularly the new directors) really is. yes, the combat mechanics were improved, and the weapon upgrades were made better. that's about it, when it comes to improvements. the rest either stayed the same or got worse

Covenants were vastly improved.

Dark Souls 1 only had Sunbros, Darkwraiths, and Forest Hunters working well.

Darkmoons got really few invasions, people only ever joined for DMB

Dragon covenant was only for dragon form, getting dragon scales was a pain because the Dragon Eye (the intended way to connect while in the covenant) was buggy and broken. Dragon Spirit summons were a very rare sight.

Gravelords were a really nice idea, but the implementation was so bad that the entire covenant was broken. It only ever worked in NG+, and only sometimes. In fact, it was so broken that we only discovered how it actually worked really late in the game's life. The Dark Souls 1 team never patched this covenant, they left it broken through the entirety of the game's lifetime. Several patches, a DLC and a PC port later and they never fixed this stuff.

Way of the White, Princess Guard and Chaos Servant were completely useless. They were worthless.

Dark Souls 2's issue with red invasions, Way of the Blue and Blue Sentinel Ring usage is quite minor in comparison. All the other covenants, and the other aspects of these same covenants, work very well. The issues should still be fixed, but there's no way in hell the covenant system was downgraded.

Kanedias

Savant
It was another one of those covenants that do not really influence the game in any way apart from a couple of rewards. You got a shortcut to skip part of an annoying area, and a couple of spells (one of which you get the moment you join). You did not play as a Chaos Servant, you joined the covenant, dumped some humanity, and moved on. Maybe it's unfair to group it with Way of White and Princess Guard (which are 100% useless) but it's still badly designed. It's just only there so you pay a toll to open that damn shortcut and done, completely meaningless as a covenant.

praetor

Arcane
i like how you say the covenants were "vastly improved" when in your previous post you described perfectly how completely and utterly broken are the 2 arguably most important covenants in the game (yes, there were some improvements, with that i agree, but coupled with the utterly moronic and broken SM mechanic and supershitty netcode, they're borderline irrelevant at this point). which would've been acceptable if the SM mechanic wouldn't have been so poorly implemented that you'd wish it was done by rejects from bethesda, obsidian and biowhore. and that netcode... oh god, the netcode makes DaS1 and DeS look like a marvel of technology, even though they were really shit themselves

was Darkmoon broken only on PC or in a later patch? 'cause at least in the first year (i played on PS3 on an almost daily basis) DMs worked more than fine. as did the Dragon covenant (f.e. the Kiln was always full of dragon eye summons. i maxed the covenant there in a couple of hours of duelling)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Dark Souls 2's issue with red invasions, Way of the Blue and Blue Sentinel Ring usage is quite minor in comparison. All the other covenants, and the other aspects of these same covenants, work very well. The issues should still be fixed, but there's no way in hell the covenant system was downgraded.

It's only an issue in NG really. I've heard NG+ is constant due to the wider Soul Memory ranges. Also, lots of people love killing off NPCs before going to NG+ which gives Blue Sentinel's lots of people to harass.

Contrast that with Dark Souls 1 where you can ignore invaders of any kind merely by staying Hollow with almost no disadvantages.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

which would've been acceptable if the SM mechanic wouldn't have been so poorly implemented that you'd wish

How in the flying fuck is SM broken?

the harbingers of the decline

1396532965993.jpg

praetor

Arcane
How in the flying fuck is SM broken?

you aren't serious, right? you cannot be serious? it's just a trolling question, right? you are not honestly asking why is the most poorly thought out mechanic From has ever designed, the one everybody hates and makes (in their implementation) no sense whatsoever, "broken"?

DragoFireheart

you aren't serious, right? you cannot be serious? it's just a trolling question, right? you are not honestly asking why is the most poorly thought out mechanic From has ever designed, the one everybody hates and makes (in their implementation) no sense whatsoever, "broken"?

I'm well aware of the volume of people complaining about it but I've yet to see a solid argument as to why it's "broken".

(hint hint, go ahead and explain it to me)

praetor

Arcane
no.. i can't. it's too painful. just the thought the sheer idiocy of their implementation (the idea is very nice, the execution is... terrible doesn't even begin to describe it) makes me rage too much. it's one of the 3 things in the game that i truly, honestly despise, hate, abhor to the very core. just think about it.. just think about how idiotic it is to tier players into souls accumulated, with a highest tier of 15million. if you cannot see the stupidity of that, the implications of such an implementation, then no explaining will help

DragoFireheart

no.. i can't. it's too painful. just the thought the sheer idiocy of their implementation (the idea is very nice, the execution is... terrible doesn't even begin to describe it) makes me rage too much. it's one of the 3 things in the game that i truly, honestly despise, hate, abhor to the very core. just think about it.. just think about how idiotic it is to tier players into souls accumulated, with a highest tier of 15million. if you cannot see the stupidity of that, the implications of such an implementation, then no explaining will help

You know what I think is more idiotic? Soul Level 1 characters that invade other Soul Level 1 characters with +5 Lightning Claymores and +15 PyroGlove with Great Combustion.

I ask you to explain it, you cop out, good job at convincing me that there is no issue.

Last edited:

Kanedias

Savant
i like how you say the covenants were "vastly improved" when in your previous post you described perfectly how completely and utterly broken are the 2 arguably most important covenants in the game (yes, there were some improvements, with that i agree, but coupled with the utterly moronic and broken SM mechanic and supershitty netcode, they're borderline irrelevant at this point). which would've been acceptable if the SM mechanic wouldn't have been so poorly implemented that you'd wish it was done by rejects from bethesda, obsidian and biowhore. and that netcode... oh god, the netcode makes DaS1 and DeS look like a marvel of technology, even though they were really shit themselves

was Darkmoon broken only on PC or in a later patch? 'cause at least in the first year (i played on PS3 on an almost daily basis) DMs worked more than fine. as did the Dragon covenant (f.e. the Kiln was always full of dragon eye summons. i maxed the covenant there in a couple of hours of duelling)

The red invasion issue is complex, because as a BoB member, my invasions are always instant. Every time I use the damn orb, I get an invasion. The problem is that people do not get invaded, because the BoB invaders are so few compared to the invadee pool, that they get spread too thin.

This is an issue that came with the orb restrictions and the fact that now you can invade hollows and people who have beaten the boss. As a red invader, you don't realize this issue exists, because like I said you get instant invasions (which would lead you to believe it is all working perfectly) but when you play through the game normally and without sin, invasions are extremely rare, which is a problem. This does fuck up a covenant (the Way of Blue) and part of the Blue Sentinels, which right now work as a better version of the Darkmoons but lack that interesting angle of being summoned to help Way of Blue players. It's a shame, but I don't think it's as big of an issue as the Dark Souls 1 covenant system, where several covenants were broken or useless.

Dragon Eyes used to be common? I always found them to be terribly buggy compared to the Red Soapstone, mostly because you can only see the Eye sign if the game is not trying to connect you to anyone else, which was rare because the moment you entered a PvP area you usually got either an invasion or that stupid bug where the fog gate comes up but no invader appears, thanks to the shitty matchmaking. And when you did see a sign, it was usually a Summoning Failed.

P.S.: Obsidian paired with Biowhore and Bethesda? You're being really unfair. Obsidian is so much better.

:mca:

You know what I think is more idiotic? Soul Level 1 characters that invade other Soul Level 1 characters with +5 Lightning Claymores and +15 PyroGlove with Great Combustion.

I ask you to explain it, you cop out, good job at convincing me that there is no issue.

SL1s cannot use Claymores. We're pimpin' lightning reinforced clubs +5. You have no idea how many times i've been killed by nubs at sunlight altar/burg. Unless I have 99 humanity, it takes like 5-6 hits.

I would've enjoyed the game more if invasions were more common at low levels. Plus, there are only ever so many people who will go through the trouble of killing 4 kings at SL1.

I like to think I spice up the experience by running around naked and throwing dung pies at nubs. If you don't like it, cure your butt of hurt and git gud nub.

:troll:

Gozma

Arcane
At this point in PC DS1 every epic troll SL1 invader is a dusk crown/bellowing/wolf ring +5 ascended pyro glove black flamer, if you die to a legit NG low level char with that you got dolphin flippers instead of hands. OTOH I imagine most of the invasions those guys do end up being against SL120 NG+ people screwing around and they get gibbed instead.

Edit - That build is really way too much twink (I think that's like 800 damage black flames that usually combo into another black flame) even at the point of like ~SL30 phantoms doing Anor Londo invasions on normal NG characters, so it's not just a "get through Burg and Belfry and twink invasions are over" thing.

However all the fun invasions I ever got were people running silly gimmicks like fatrolling bleed builds that they knew sucked and soul memory eliminates that kind of "this is my silly Blightown invasion character". But then that was like maybe 10% of invasions.

Last edited:
Obviously one-shotting n00bs with great combustion gets stale after a few invades. When I'm dicking around (mostly no armor) trying to poison/fist-stab while they are in PvE I get ganked/killed quite often.

Anyways... Comparing this to soul memory is just idiotic. SL1 invasions are a byproduct of the game's longevity and cult following while soul memory is a deliberate retarded feature that has obviously had 0 thought put into it.

Take it from a havel/hex/pyro/cleric/melee/mage/whateveriwantittobe/ build that at some point your soul memory will get into shit territory where balanced pvp is no longer viable and you have to farm 300 levels in order to compete. You have 0 control over your pvp matchmaking.

praetor

Arcane

even more idiotic is getting invaded at SL1 by SL 800+ havel mages MM with full cast speed, spamming GRS, mundane powerstanced avelyns or whatever they fucking want. or getting the same SL800+ (MM or not) at some point when you hit a certain SM, regardless of your own SL. but sure, go ahead, ignore the blatant issues of an idiotic system that everyone hates. go ahead and be a retard for the sake of being a contrarian hipster

The red invasion issue is complex, because as a BoB member, my invasions are always instant. Every time I use the damn orb, I get an invasion. The problem is that people do not get invaded, because the BoB invaders are so few compared to the invadee pool, that they get spread too thin.

This is an issue that came with the orb restrictions and the fact that now you can invade hollows and people who have beaten the boss. As a red invader, you don't realize this issue exists, because like I said you get instant invasions (which would lead you to believe it is all working perfectly) but when you play through the game normally and without sin, invasions are extremely rare, which is a problem. This does fuck up a covenant (the Way of Blue) and part of the Blue Sentinels, which right now work as a better version of the Darkmoons but lack that interesting angle of being summoned to help Way of Blue players. It's a shame, but I don't think it's as big of an issue as the Dark Souls 1 covenant system, where several covenants were broken or useless.

hey, i didn't argue it was worse, i agreed there were improvements, just not that it was such a "vast improvement". especially considering the issues with SM and the ones you mentioned now and earlier that really exacerbate those problems with the otherwise finely working blue and reds. but here, for fun, have a cheeky, partly unfair example:

Abyss is another one of those covenants that do not really influence the game in any way apart from a couple of rewards. You got 3 an annoying areas, a boss, and a couple of spells (2 of which you can buy almost at the beginning of the game). You did not play as a Pilgrim of the Abyss, you joined the covenant, dumped some human effigies, killed some crappily designed enemies and moved on. Maybe it's unfair to group it with Way of Blue (which is 100% useless) but it's still badly designed. It's just only there so you pay a toll to open those damn areas and done, completely meaningless as a covenant.

:troll:

Dragon Eyes used to be common? I always found them to be terribly buggy compared to the Red Soapstone, mostly because you can only see the Eye sign if the game is not trying to connect you to anyone else, which was rare because the moment you entered a PvP area you usually got either an invasion or that stupid bug where the fog gate comes up but no invader appears, thanks to the shitty matchmaking. And when you did see a sign, it was usually a Summoning Failed.

again, i don't know if it's a PC issue or something they fucked up in a patch later on. early on PS3 blues were very common, particularly in AL where, if you were indicted, you could barely walk 10m without getting invaded (i'm exaggerating a bit, but still..). and i dunno about other areas, but the Kiln was chock-full of dragon eyes. i don't think i've ever been there and didn't see one, even later on when it wasn't the primary PvP hotspot (i guess every dragonbro was there since everybody else moved to the burg and township.... speaking of which, i don't think i ever saw a dragon eye there. only reds and gravelords). btw, "that stupid bug where the fog gate comes up but no invader appears, thanks to the shitty matchmaking" is still in DaS2 and very much alive... thanks to the shitty matchmaking :P

P.S.: Obsidian paired with Biowhore and Bethesda? You're being really unfair. Obsidian is so much better.

:mca:

actually, considering i've lumped them together on a technical basis, Biowhore is the unfair comparison here. Dungeon Siege (haven't tried SP) was the only technically solid Obsidian game, while Biowhore usually releases pretty solid, polished, working games. they're shit, but technically they're good. is From the Japanese Obsidian? excellent games marred by shitty technical execution... (although the western press is often unfairly harsh on the amount and gravity of bugs in Obsidian games compared to a lot of other companies. particularly Beth)

DragoFireheart

even more idiotic is getting invaded at SL1 by SL 800+ havel mages MM with full cast speed, spamming GRS, mundane powerstanced avelyns or whatever they fucking want. or getting the same SL800+ (MM or not) at some point when you hit a certain SM, regardless of your own SL. but sure, go ahead, ignore the blatant issues of an idiotic system that everyone hates. go ahead and be a retard for the sake of being a contrarian hipster

So you're blaming Soul Memory because of Mega Mules?

:retarded:

. or getting the same SL800+ (MM or not) at some point when you hit a certain SM, regardless of your own SL.

It's not my problem you willingly choose to gimp yourself. You're acting exceptionally moronic.

The only retard here is you praetor.

Whoa whoa whoa way to nitpick 2 letters out of context ignoring everything else. Just STFU and admit that SM is shit and we're all gonna move on.

DragoFireheart

Whoa whoa whoa way to nitpick 2 letters out of context ignoring everything else. Just STFU and admit that SM is shit and we're all gonna move on.

When you present a good argument for why SM is shit then I'll move on. If your argument has to resort to hackers breaking the game you're fucking retarded, END OF RHINE.

praetor

Arcane
So you're blaming Soul Memory because of Mega Mules?

:retarded:

It's not my problem you willingly choose to gimp yourself. You're acting exceptionally moronic.

The only retard here is you praetor.

wow.. holy shit, just wow. thank you for proving there are bigger idiots around than even gouda and meanwhileinpotatoland, i guess. not even on gamefags and 4chan you can see such exquisite display of human stupidity. i guess Einstein was right...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom