Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Alonebadman

Educated
Ed's replies are pretty spot on. DKSII doesn't have that exact "feel" that Dark Souls 1 had in terms of its overall cohesion but let's not kid ourselves it had some bullshit loaded in some areas of the game. I think it's important to frame the game as more Demons Souls 2 than Dark Soul 2. Combat is looser and faster, not as fluid as Demon's but pretty much there. I'd even say level design is closer to Demon's than Dark in terms of overall setup. Thank god for the lack of too many narrow edges.

I also think there was a shift in overall progression/level design. Enemies are harder overall where as bosses range from piss easy to maybe one of two coming to O&S and Manus. If there's one thing that can be said though, regular enemies do way more damage than they did in DS1. The fact even with +10 in full heavy you can get murdered in three or four hits from "tough" regulars places more emphasis on skill. DS1 you could bullshit tank even some of the harder bosses with the right gear. I like the fact dodging/rolling became more viable/necessary as opposed to just taking a big ass shield and standing there.

But poise is still bullshit, the fact a fucking dagger can stunlock you up to a point is fucking hilarious.

praetor

Arcane
Have any message board game designers thought of a SM-like system that would do the good bit (anti-twink) without the downsides?

here's a quick and dirty solution thought up in literally 2 seconds that would be roughly 1000000 times better than the current one: SM is souls spent, not souls acquired. bam, i've already put more effort and come up with a better one than the entire team and "pro game designer" at From

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Have any message board game designers thought of a SM-like system that would do the good bit (anti-twink) without the downsides?

here's a quick and dirty solution thought up in literally 2 seconds that would be roughly 1000000 times better than the current one: SM is souls spent, not souls acquired. bam, i've already put more effort and come up with a better one than the entire team and "pro game designer" at From
Problem: This system does not account for several very basic concerns, such as upgrading weapons you won't use or atoning sins. So basically you just took Soul Level matching and made it worse.

deuxhero

Arcane
"Souls equiped" would work. Add the total of souls you used to level up, the soul cost of your equipped goods and the soul cost of attuned spells, then base it on that.

Changing equipment mid-invade could be done, but then you just need to make it "stick" for a while to the highest amount used when another player is in the game.

praetor

Arcane
Problem: This system does not account for several very basic concerns, such as upgrading weapons you won't use or atoning sins. So basically you just took Soul Level matching and made it worse.

and the current system has the same problem except it's even worse as you can lose your souls or not spend them on anything and still be in higher brackets. goddamn you and drago are fucking idiots

Vaarna_Aarne

"Souls equiped" would work. Add the total of souls you used to level up, the soul cost of your equipped goods and the soul cost of attuned spells, then base it on that.

Changing equipment mid-invade could be done, but then you just need to make it "stick" for a while to the highest amount used when another player is in the game.
Yea, generally speaking the problem is really just in the amount of "what ifs" any matching system will bring up.

Me, I'd say the best would probably be to just make it based on mutual agreement, meaning let players who opt in to play online set a Soul Level range they wish to PvP in.

and the current system has the same proble except it's even worse as you can lose your souls or not spend them on anything and still be in higher brackets. goddamn you and drago fucking idiots
I said absolutely nothing to defend the current system, merely pointed out that what you proposed is in no way a solution.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
and the current system has the same problem except it's even worse as you can lose your souls or not spend them on anything and still be in higher brackets. goddamn you and drago are fucking idiots

Get the sand out of your vagina you fucking woman. Holy shit are you a little bitch when cognitive dissonance and buyer's remorse strikes. Try masturbating instead of acting like a bad version of WetWorks.

Removing SM and going back to SL 10 + 10% range for NG+ would be the most simple solution. It worked in the first two games so why not?

praetor

Arcane
can't you 2 dweebs learn to fucking read? i've expected from aspies at least some basic reading comprehension, but here, let me bold the relevant parts for you morons:

here's a quick and dirty solution thought up in literally 2 seconds that would be roughly 1000000 times better than the current one

did i claim anywhere it would fix all the problems? no. it was just an example of how little fucking thought the "pro game designers" put into their current idiotic system and how many problems of the current one would've been solved if they put any kind of effort in it. i could come up with a couple dozen solutions that would alleviate if not eliminate altogether all the problems in the time it takes me to take a shit. fuck, anybody with more than 2 functioning neurons could (no, you 2 definitely wouldn't...). but for some idiots it's apparently too hard to grasp because Soul Memory is fantastic and without flaws, or DaS2 is the bestest gaem ev4r. even gamefags has higher quality standards

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
can't you 2 dweebs learn to fucking read? i've expected from aspies at least some basic reading comprehension, but here, let me bold the relevant parts for you morons:

here's a quick and dirty solution thought up in literally 2 seconds that would be roughly 1000000 times better than the current one

did i claim anywhere it would fix all the problems? no. it was just an example of how little fucking thought the "pro game designers" put into their current idiotic system and how many problems of the current one would've been solved if they put any kind of effort in it. i could come up with a couple dozen solutions that would alleviate if not eliminate altogether all the problems in the time it takes me to take a shit. fuck, anybody with more than 2 functioning neurons could (no, you 2 definitely wouldn't...). but for some idiots it's apparently too hard to grasp because Soul Memory is fantastic and without flaws, or DaS2 is the bestest gaem ev4r. even gamefags has higher quality standards

Please show me where I said SM was fantastic and without flaws.

praetor, you're usually pretty cool, but you let the hype of this game along with your nostalgia of the first one get to you. It's going to be ok.

It_s_Gonna_Be_Ok.jpg

They are not going to go all Fallout 3 on you. You will be fine. It's ok to be mad about it.

Why not have matchmaking based on stats with some weighted to be better than others?

Use SM for NG, SL for NG+. It's a simple change and it makes the oraganized PvPers happen. Hell, make it so when you reach SL 300+ you can pair up with anyone from 300-Max to keep that crowd happy.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'd say (again) that the mechanic that will cause the least amount of problems would still be to just let the players set a range they want to PvP in, that'd be a case where everyone (or at least the largest number of people) wins.

aris

Arcane
Dark Souls 2 preloaded. I am fully prepared to die, again and again and again, and then some more.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Atleast you can dodge them, last night I had people spamming this hex that poisons you all the tiem. Yeah, how exiciting. :roll:

hurr hexer santiers spear sls 270 durr one shot everyone. yea maybe scrubs. twice when he meets some decent players he gets his ass wrecekd:lol::lol::lol:

Gozma

Arcane
Is there some corner of the internet or youtube where good Souls series pvpers talk and no one is an ego-protecting meme/macro-spewer, balance harper, or ever says anything is dishonorabu? Not comedy stuff. The typical standard you get just Googling is like late '90s fighting game forums where everyone thinks their arcade-provincial, low-information opinion based on themselves being Dunning-Kruger well above average is desperately important and must be defended to the death (now with hardcore social media memes).

Are there people that go like 100-1 with typical "competent" PvPers somewhere? Adversarial games that are good usually have a pretty vertiginous skill cap that makes it so people that go 100-1 with newbies can get 1-100'd by decents that can get 1-100'd with goods, and on from there.

If you link me those PhantomEWGF videos on youtube I'm gonna spit on you because they are literally the only thing I found on my own where the person writing/posting/youtubing was not a chimp, and they're old and he complains the game is shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom