Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'd like to tape a few DS developers to a chair and make them fight those whole day, or try and kill Freja without phantoms on NG+.
Or, the thing I REALLY would like them to do is to open and close door to Ornifex while standing outside getting shot with 2-3 homing missiles at a time. I'd make them create all souls weapons while getting shot with those. I wonder what kind of disorder they would get after.
Oh, oh, and run through NG+ to Undead Chariot, through those 6 red respawning phantoms.

Crap, and I haven't reached NG+ Amana yet, just killed 4 bosses. That would probably take the cake. I wonder how many red phantoms they've put there.

Why? That's generally the only way to kill DDF. Each time I go do DDF in NG+ or NG++ I summon two phantoms. Each time they fuck up and die like bitches and then I have to kill the spider alone while it's scaled to more players. DDF is a very easy fight, but it's kinda tedious. Especially so if you try to summon useless players.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't know if NG+ significantly increases the number of spiders during DDF or something but I agree that the fight isn't difficult and just tedious. I felt that the the pattern for DDF was pretty easy.
Kill a few spiders so not too many get in your way, bait attacks from DDF, and then run around to the back and attack the non-attacking head. DDFs attacks are pretty easy to avoid and you barely even need to roll. Mostly ignore the spiders unless they get in your way(then kill the one in your way) and keep doing this. If too many spiders accumulate kill a few of them to keep the clutter down.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah it's very very tedious, and ads are the problem. On NG you can somewhat ignore them, at least I didn't get much trouble with them, but on NG+ they just 2-shot me (if I'm a bit "undead" at least). They also have jumping attack from behind which works like a backstab. So you run around like retard from it's un-rollable-through-freindlyfireforads-lazor, scoring hits, switching targets/camera from DDF to ads.
I dunno, I never had trouble with her before, but damage spiked good on NG+, and I'm fairly lightly armored. I feel like this fight is designed for 2 - one kills ads and works on lazor head, another player works on back head.
It would be a great fight if you could, say, cut off her legs one by one, stab her in soft belly if you manage to get under her, and lure her ads under her own attacks (as now they do 8 points of damage to ads and 1500 to you).

I've been trying to max out my completionist char (currently ~580) and have been doing so regularly. It just blows my mind when I invade so many people at 838. It only makes sense without cheating if you've been farming giant lord non-stop for days.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah it's very very tedious, and ads are the problem. On NG you can somewhat ignore them, at least I didn't get much trouble with them, but on NG+ they just 2-shot me (if I'm a bit "undead" at least). They also have jumping attack from behind which works like a backstab. So you run around like retard from it's un-rollable-through-freindlyfireforads-lazor, scoring hits, switching targets/camera from DDF to ads.
I dunno, I never had trouble with her before, but damage spiked good on NG+, and I'm fairly lightly armored. I feel like this fight is designed for 2 - one kills ads and works on lazor head, another player works on back head.
It would be a great fight if you could, say, cut off her legs one by one, stab her in soft belly if you manage to get under her, and lure her ads under her own attacks (as now they do 8 points of damage to ads and 1500 to you).

If they would add large monster climbing mechanics similar to Dragon's Dogma that would be a good way to add variety to large monster fights. So you can do something other than hacking at their toes or other ground accessible points.

Shadenuat

Arcane
If they would add large monster climbing mechanics similar to Dragon's Dogma that would be a good way to add variety to large monster fights. So you can do something other than hacking at their toes or other ground accessible points.
I would be happy if they at least applied same rules of physics for all weapons in the game, for monsters and players. So every weapon would have a fair hitbox, would always stuck in objects or, if it's very heavy and monster is super strong, destroy them like first boss in Demon's Souls destroyed whole chunks of walls around him. Then they could improve AI by giving big monsters at least one attack to pursue players where monster can't walk through, and make casters interesting mobile enemies instead of turrets with infinite ammo (some of the phantoms have a better AI, why not regular enemies too?).
I would only like climbing enemies if it would happen from game engine itself, not shitty QTE's however, since DS has that sort of control and non-bullshit mechanics where you have to do with what you have.

Murk

Arcane
I hear that DEX scaling is pretty bad, but what's the alternative? Lightning/Dark infusions and pumping Faith?
Flame blade, great mag weapon... I fight fast flame weapons often. Mundane weapons too. Poison/bleeding is bad in pve I heard, most bosses just ignore poison.

I can attest that most bosses can be poisoned. I have poisoned most of them with few notable exceptions (executiner's chariot, skeleton lords, and never tried with Vendrick or sif.rat). The poison doesn't do a TON of damage, but you will notice their hp bar steadily going down with 15 damage non-stop. If you auto poison it's fine, but I wouldn't suggest putting aside real damage in favor of poisoning (dark fog or something is OK tho).

I killed nearly all the dragons in the aerie by poisoning them with my SL1 guy and running away.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Just thought of something. Where did the serpents go? Surely Kaathe and Frampt should still be hanging around? Frampt even stays around for at least 1000 years during the time of Dark Souls 1, why are they gone now?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, we never really knew who/what they were to begin with. Or why they gave a fuck about the fire. Besides, the dragons are supposed to be dead already during Dark Souls 1. The only thing that really indicates this happens after is Ornstein and a few other cameo type references that probably don't mean shit because the writers didn't give a fuck about the background this time around.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Have you guys noticed how only Straid has memorable lines this time around?
The cat is great but all the lines I remember are Straid's:
Very good very good indeed
Feeble cursed one
Etc
He is besides the cat my favorite npc

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
probably don't mean shit because the writers didn't give a fuck about the background this time around.

Nor the developers about game balance. Every fucking high SL game i've played is either some ganking shitheads, or some idiot exploiting the binocular super speed glitch. I'm done with this trash game for now. I'd usually play a few matches before work, or before I play some other game, but this is too much.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Have you guys noticed how only Straid has memorable lines this time around?
The cat is great but all the lines I remember are Straid's:
Very good very good indeed
Feeble cursed one
Etc
He is besides the cat my favorite npc
It's good voice acting. Character is fairly standard moustache twirling Raestlin Majere. It's like characters from Baldur's Gate, like Xzar and Monty. You can't take their writing seriously, but that VO and dialogue still brings amusement.

Btw I was promised that the cat would tell me about 4 old ones. But that SHERLOQuor only said things like "Rotten was living deep below, and he's old" or "That one was a slave of desire, why do humans desire, we cats are awesum, we are already cool", and so on. And that only on NG+. Well no shit cat, now everything makes sense to me. And yeah, new souls have 1 sentence each saying that they are connected to 4 from DS1.
iamdissapoint

Nor the developers about game balance. Every fucking high SL game i've played is either some ganking shitheads, or some idiot exploiting the binocular super speed glitch.
Try finding other areas to draw your sign instead of bridge. I've met a lot of great folk and gitgut encounters at Heide Tower of Flame near 1st bonfire. Or just summon people yourself.

There's one thing I think is fair to say about DS community, is that while it probably has a lot of tehdrama, unbearable elitists and just cheating win at all costs cunts, it does not lack in imagination and creativity. I think community is what turned DS into sleeping hit and what so far kept me invading and visiting various PvP locations.
I hope FS understands what kind of devotion they sparkled and will try and deliver more, not just milk people by re-using same content again.

Last edited:

Castanova

Prophet
probably don't mean shit because the writers didn't give a fuck about the background this time around.

Nor the developers about game balance. Every fucking high SL game i've played is either some ganking shitheads, or some idiot exploiting the binocular super speed glitch. I'm done with this trash game for now. I'd usually play a few matches before work, or before I play some other game, but this is too much.

/yawn

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex

/yawn

I can understand some of the criticisms of DS2 (especially with the level design), but so far none of it has convinced me. Most of the critics are high strung and emotional like this guy, it doesn't give it a lot of credibility. It is a good game. More of the same, so to speak - the mechanics are improved, lots of content, good enemy design, good pvp. As far as the lore go - it's not like as if you thought the lore of DS1 made any sense the first time you played the game. It always was about myth - meaning, it always was vague and open to interpretation. This isn't a Dungeons and Dragons setting or something.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
None of the Souls games have good PvP.

BTW, just got Sunlight Spear. Fucking awesome, it murders shit. Loving my Lightning/Dark faith character.

Random

Arcane
Patron
I can understand some of the criticisms of DS2 (especially with the level design), but so far none of it has convinced me.

Convinced you? Of what? You don't believe that the hitboxes are fucked beyond relief, or that SM is a goddamn nightmare for PvPing? You aren't convinced that these are true?

Most of the critics are high strung and emotional like this guy, it doesn't give it a lot of credibility.

No, most critics take their time and explain their problems with the game in the context of it still being a good game. The operative word here is disappointment. Disappointment at what it could have been.

It is a good game.

No shit.

More of the same, so to speak - the mechanics are improved,

No, they aren't. For every so-called improvement there is a bafflingly stupid mistake to counter it, and most of the 'improvements' are only of a subjective nature, like making it so you're vulnerable when riposting or backstabbing which really serves no purpose except to make ganking easier and PvE swarms harder. There's some things that are objectively better, like the fixed item upgrade/infusion system so you don't have to grind nearly as much, but then you have the limited number of human effigies in the game unless you farm bonfire ascetics and use those to farm areas, which is all kinds of fucked. White phantoming is confusingly nerfed, since your odds of getting a portion of humanity back from it are piss poor instead of guaranteed on victory. You can white phantom for souls, practice, and life gems, and that's about it. The hitboxes are all kinds of fucked, and there's plenty of other issues that other people have gone into before, like the mistake of having both an estus flask and consumable healing items.

lots of content,

That's a good thing if its well-designed content, and the pacing holds up in spite of the abundance of it. Dark Souls II drags. Hard. You keep reaching areas and wondering, "what the fuck is this place? Is this the final area? What purpose does this location serve to the game's design? Why not just end the game earlier and have this be a side area, rather than a linear string of completely bafflingly unrelated areas?"

good enemy design,

It's mostly recycled from DeS and DkS, and not even as good as there. Royal Rat Authority, pls go. Heide Knights, you'll never be as cool as the Black Knights. Even then, the actually original enemies are all just guys with weapons, like minotaurs, gyrm warriors, and mastodons. Super creative!

good pvp.

6168-heehee.png

As far as the lore go - it's not like as if you thought the lore of DS1 made any sense the first time you played the game.

What, you think people haven't played DS2 enough times to figure out the lore yet? Are you stupid or something?

It always was about myth - meaning, it always was vague and open to interpretation.

What's your point? There's a difference between good vagueness and bad vagueness, and even then, the primary issue with DkS2 is that the theme it tries to go for isn't actualized in the game's design, nor its lore. Half of the lore is entirely derivative of Dark Souls 1, like the endless cycles and all that bullshit, to justify the fact that the entire plot of the game is near identical to the prior game.

This isn't a Dungeons and Dragons setting or something.

It very well could be. Dark Souls is a high-fantasy concept with a few dark twists. Pretending that it's actually different from any other fantasy world is silly - it has magic, dragons, monsters, zambies, chronologically inconsistent weapons and armor floating around, blah blah blah. The thing that sets it apart is its focus on characters, not events or locations, that you don't really get with any of the DnD settings. Even most item lore is about characters, like foolish pyromancers who went too far and were consumed by their own flame. Even then, it manages to give a very clear portrayal of what Lordran was, as a kingdom, and what it has become without its king. In a nutshell, Dark Souls is a DnD setting done well.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

I can't believe something like the binocular glitch exists. It's beyond retarded and makes a game like Fallout: New Vegas look like a shining example of a bug-free game.

Visperas

Augur
Hey guys I grinded 1000 invasions. Now I have ring of thorns +2. Hurrah for assburgers.

How the hell did you do that?
Also, is there a way to use the double-click function without the mouse lag?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom