Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
20211218195554-1.jpg

Ah shit, here we go again.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Twin maces in the nigerian prince robes? My man.
I can't remember the last time I started a playthrough without murdering the poor guy. On the other hand, I can't bring myself to kill the homeless woman, so I always wait for her to gift me the covetous silver serpent ring +1 instead of looting it from her corpse.

It's the first time I play with two maces and one-shotting the turtle knights truly is something else. But the best thing so far has been killing the first ruin sentinel without giving her the chance to attack: with the stone ring, the R1 L1 L1 combo halves her life and stuns her, giving you enough time to recover your stamina and finish her with the same combo.

Caim

Arcane
Twin maces in the nigerian prince robes? My man.
I can't remember the last time I started a playthrough without murdering the poor guy. On the other hand, I can't bring myself to kill the homeless woman, so I always wait for her to gift me the covetous silver serpent ring +1 instead of looting it from her corpse.

It's the first time I play with two maces and one-shotting the turtle knights truly is something else. But the best thing so far has been killing the first ruin sentinel without giving her the chance to attack: with the stone ring, the R1 L1 L1 combo halves her life and stuns her, giving you enough time to recover your stamina and finish her with the same combo.
Yeah, twin maces is extremely powerful despite its simplicity. Slap on the Stone Ring, the Ring of Blades because that extra damage really adds up, the Chloranty Ring for better stamina recovery (which you will need because of how stamina hungry the swinging and rolling with the twin maces is), and the silver serpent ring for even more souls than you'd get from the nigerian prince robes. Because of your poor defence you'll want ample Agility so crank up those stats as well, make sure to at least reach the soft cap of Vigor, then crank that Strenght all the way up for maximum damage. A good number of things in DS2 are weak to strike damage, and DLC bosses aren't close to immune to physical damage like they are with elemental damage.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guys, a honest question. Why do people keep saying that Hexers are OP? I mean, I had way easier time as a Sorc than as a Hexer. Having to lv up both, INT and FHT is way harder than having only one stat to level up. And most powerful hexes costs souls which messes with your soul memory

Anyway, here is I killing the ancient dragon as an Hexer

Silverfish

Arbiter
The hexes are op meme was also bolstered by the early days of DS2 pvp, when hex builds were wrecking everyone who hadn't adjusted to the game's mechanics.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What builds have you played? What are your favourites? There are just so many things you can do in them, it's great. You know it's almost Christmas, you have time to reinstall...

My previous posts in this thread would be a much better source on those specifics (I need to check them myself), but I do remember using hexes at one point due to the white-limned black fireball graphics.

I finished the main game, Sunken King, and Ivory King, but I believe I threw up my hands and declared my playthrough finished at the gank room of Old Iron King—not even from actually trying to navigate it, mind you. I just remembered the videos I'd watched about it, and bounced.

And that's okay. Dread of how you're about to get fucked as soon as you stand up from the bonfire is what makes these games great, and it never goes away. I can still feel it now, dreading actually reinstalling and loading up the game.

Arguably, the pinnacle of computer gaming is to spend dozens of hours suffering, only to realize afterward that you've actually enjoyed yourself immensely.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Last time I played as a pure hexer using only great resonant soul, unleash magic and other damage increase gear. It was pretty good for base game. You drop bosses fast but for mobs it's a pain especially because of the lock on system. I used cheat engine to extend the range of the lock on and it was way better. Plus the old iron king crown to restore spells. Good times. Again, only base game.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
it's a boring ass way to play

Disagreed. Being the master of ancient mysteries, capable of creating literally a mini sun and throwing at the enemy(Forbidden sun), a geyser of soul energy(soul geyser), throw lightning like Zeus or create 5 quasi-sentient mass of a mysterious black energy who can act like a homing missile and each one hits like a ballista shot(affinity) is very cool. Also, the most iconic weapons in DS2 scale with magical attributes.

Moonlight Greatsword, Roaring Halberd, Chaos Rapier, Ice Rapier...

Again, only base game.

In DLC's, using a magic weapon like moonlight greatsword is way more effective than magic as even regular mobs can soak 3 soul spears.

Silva

Arcane
I admit I never played the expansion. And don't have any desire to do so. Because all I see in vids are gank squads and overleveled enemies. Seems artificial difficult territory, way different from, say, BB's Old Hunters, which is difficult in a more organic way.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I admit I never played the expansion. And don't have any desire to do so. Because all I see in vids are gank squads and overleveled enemies. Seems artificial difficult territory, way different from, say, BB's Old Hunters, which is difficult in a more organic way.

There's much more to the DLCs than just the gank squads, I promise you. They are all worth playing. At the very least, try out Sunken King; it seems to me that it had the least of what one might describe as "bullshit." Also, the atmosphere is great, as you descend into a dank, dark cavern peppered with old ruins.

The bullet sponge effect, however, is very real. Reading back on my old posts reminded me of this: http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/resistance#toc4

This might not seem so bad until you check the key above and realize that "medium resistance" (by far the most common on the table) indicates around a TWO-THIRDS damage reduction—and many enemy resistances on that table are substantially higher than medium. Very few are in a low category.

My biggest mechanics-related gripe with DSII was how hard magic was nerfed compared to DS, and it's nerfed to near-uselessness in the DLCs due to the across-the-board resistances. Magic-scaling weapons (as opposed to spells), however, still deal good damage.

Silva

Arcane

There's much more to the DLCs than just the gank squads, I promise you. They are all worth playing. At the very least, try out Sunken King; it seems to me that it had the least of what one might describe as "bullshit." Also, the atmosphere is great, as you descend into a dank, dark cavern peppered with old ruins.

The bullet sponge effect, however, is very real. Reading back on my old posts reminded me of this: http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/resistance#toc4

This might not seem so bad until you check the key above and realize that "medium resistance" (by far the most common on the table) indicates around a TWO-THIRDS damage reduction—and many enemy resistances on that table are substantially higher than medium. Very few are in a low category.

My biggest mechanics-related gripe with DSII was how hard magic was nerfed compared to DS, and it's nerfed to near-uselessness in the DLCs due to the across-the-board resistances. Magic-scaling weapons (as opposed to spells), however, still deal good damage.
Thanks. Would a dex-dodge-parry build be recommended? That's my default Souls build.

RoSoDude

Arcane

Thanks. Would a dex-dodge-parry build be recommended? That's my default Souls build.

I ran this my first time. It works, just make sure it's a GOOD DEX weapon. Rapiers are better than curved swords. Also, Stone Ring may still not be enough to stagger your opponents, so make sure you're good with that parry (DS2 parry/riposte mechanics are different from the other games; there's a startup delay for active parry frames like in DS3, and you have to wait for your enemy to be in the middle of falling to the ground or lying still there to get a successful riposte, and you are not immune but rather have damage reduction for the duration). Some kind of infusion is recommended to keep your damage up, look for weapons that already have some innate magic damage for good double scaling.

lmao that table

Normal game: High is 50% Magic resistance
DLC: Very low is 56% Magic resistance.

Yeah people talk about how spells are OP but they feel balanced for the normal game while as soon as you step foot in the DLC they are tedious as hell. If you're playing someone with a spellcasting stat then you're best just using that to buff weapons.

Caim

Arcane
I ran this my first time. It works, just make sure it's a GOOD DEX weapon. Rapiers are better than curved swords. Also, Stone Ring may still not be enough to stagger your opponents, so make sure you're good with that parry (DS2 parry/riposte mechanics are different from the other games; there's a startup delay for active parry frames like in DS3, and you have to wait for your enemy to be in the middle of falling to the ground or lying still there to get a successful riposte, and you are not immune but rather have damage reduction for the duration). Some kind of infusion is recommended to keep your damage up, look for weapons that already have some innate magic damage for good double scaling.
For some insane reason Dexterity doesn't scale as much a Strength in Dark Souls 2. The theory is that it's because they're faster than strength weapons, but it's still something to keep in mind when picking a weapon. That's not to say that Dex weapons are inherently bad, it's just that they don't deal as much damage as Str does.

Also keep in mind that the special attack on Ricard's Rapier looks neat, but because of how durability works in DS2 (that is, not at all) you'll wear your weapon down after even a few uses. Does make for an interesting tool to apply poison or bleed though.

Silverfish

Arbiter

That's a pretty accurate description of Iron King, but the other two are pretty good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom