Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Denuvo DRM Thread

RomanRichter

Literate

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
One thing I haven't yet understood. Does Denuvo stay in the background even with no games actively running? Do some parts of it load with Windows boot? Or does it only activate when the game is being started?

as far as i remember, at least older versions, it has no reason to be active while you're not using something protected by it. problem is, when it does protect it makes a mess of your system, and ssds suffer the most.

no, it's slipped into your anus unannounced. experienced just few days ago. maximum rage, instant uninstall (also because the game it was tied to turned out total turd).

J1M

Arcane
Sad that game quality has dropped so much that nobody is interested in cracking them anymore.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just found out about one of the old tests. Idk of the state of Denuvo today though:

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/282924-denuvo-really-does-cripple-pc-gaming-performance
Unfortunately most of the guy's benchmarks are no good.
The loading times specifically are fine however.

Basically the issues boil down to:
1. He's measuring GPU performance.
2. He's not measuring CPU overhead and properly isolating this variable.
3. Due to game logic calculations, games' CPU requirements do not scale linearly with framerates; e.g. an extra 5% of CPU power might be enough to double your framerate, likewise an absence of 10% might take it from a smooth 60 to incapable of maintaining 30.
While my example is extreme, this is why his results are all over the place, and we still do not have a firm 'denuvo's overhead is X' metric.

I have a few other posts in this thread that go into more detail.
EDIT: There was a Gears game that he accidentally did correctly. That one is quite valuable.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Just found out about one of the old tests. Idk of the state of Denuvo today though:

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/282924-denuvo-really-does-cripple-pc-gaming-performance

3. Due to game logic calculations, games' CPU requirements do not scale linearly with framerates; e.g. an extra 5% of CPU power might be enough to double your framerate, likewise an absence of 10% might take it from a smooth 60 to incapable of maintaining 30.
While my example is extreme, this is why his results are all over the place, and we still do not have a firm 'denuvo's overhead is X' metric.

EDIT: There was a Gears game that he accidentally did correctly. That one is quite valuable.

These guys benchmarks are retarded and shouldn't be used as proof for anything even if it shows that denuvo affects performance.

There is also the variable of how denuvo is implemented and "removed". Probably most of the time the code is still there, but just flags the check as positive or some shit. So it still burdens your CPU even if devs say it's removed.

Codex Year of the Donut
the performance impact of denuvo is relative to how frequently the checks are, some games are retarded and put the checks in code called very frequently

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

These guys benchmarks are retarded and shouldn't be used as proof for anything even if it shows that denuvo affects performance.

There is also the variable of how denuvo is implemented and "removed". Probably most of the time the code is still there, but just flags the check as positive or some shit. So it still burdens your CPU even if devs say it's removed.
It bloats the executable, and encrypts it; the combo adds overhead and absolutely wrecks CPU cache locality optimisations done on the hardware level.
Even without doing any checks or enforcement, or putting them in dumb places (like Sonic Mania), its mere presence introduces significant overhead.

Take that Gears game the idiot benchmarked. If I recall correctly, he accidentally showed that the DRM used by that game made its game logic take 17% longer, and then proceeded to do nothing with that information.
That's a pretty good indication of the DRM's overhead, and it isolated what was important. While it wasn't denuvo, I'm sure the two have at least similar levels of overhead.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Good thing I have my blizzard games to accompany me.

Levels of dumb this high cannot be real.
1671238798177249.png

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Thank you all for the information. Reading all of it, I don't see the point in becoming all worked up over Denuvo. Ok, it steals generally a little portion of the power (with some cases going as high as 1/7 of the power), there are unproven, often debunked rumors that it puts strain on SSD (I'd say every rumor has got a bit of truth to it, but still, nothing major), and it forces you to have an active internet connection from time to time, even for single-player games. The latter is kinda meh. It's good that people talk about it and that they raise their concerns at the appropriate places, but horribly evil anti-consumer Denuvo? Get out of town.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I agree, it doesn't come and rape you in the ass so it it's kinda OK, good even...? I mean stuttering and crashing are kinda good, no? Thanks for the info guys!

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Good thing I have my blizzard games to accompany me.

Levels of dumb this high cannot be real.
1671238798177249.png
That looks fun. Manga's name, please?
It looks like the main character. But, he was smarter in the beginning. Also that person with horns should be shorter.

Basically it's a manga about what to do when you enter a deep catacombs that need at least 14 day to go through, and forget food rations. It's the nicer variant.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Thank you all for the information. Reading all of it, I don't see the point in becoming all worked up over Denuvo. Ok, it steals generally a little portion of the power (with some cases going as high as 1/7 of the power), there are unproven, often debunked rumors that it puts strain on SSD (I'd say every rumor has got a bit of truth to it, but still, nothing major), and it forces you to have an active internet connection from time to time, even for single-player games. The latter is kinda meh. It's good that people talk about it and that they raise their concerns at the appropriate places, but horribly evil anti-consumer Denuvo? Get out of town.

Stop posting.

Many thanks.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

Stop posting.

Many thanks.
Stop being mediocre. Eben more thanks.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
We shall see how that play off, as long i can get my hands on a working coh3, because fuck paying 300+ bucks for it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom