Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Doors of Trithius is an upcoming roguelike with the depth of an RPG, now on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: The Doors of Trithius

The Doors of Trithius combines classic roguelike ruthlessness with the freedom and depth of an expansive, open-world RPG.

Explore a vast, procedurally generated world that doesn't hold your hand. Here you'll need all your skill and strategic prowess to overcome the ancient dungeons, faction armies, and wandering behemoths found in the unpredictable and mysterious realm of Enalia.

Game World
  • Random Generation: Each adventure is unique as towns, dungeons, and the world map are newly generated on every playthrough.
  • Exploration: Navigate a vast, dangerous world where survival is key. Establish campsites, forage for sustenance, and manage your weariness to endure the wilderness. Every tile on the world map can be explored and persists across time.
  • Varied Enemy Types: Over 100 unique enemy types with customized AI challenge your skills and adaptability.
  • Challenging Dungeons: Test your mettle against 8 unique dungeon types, each with custom layouts and room types, including castles, caves, fortresses, hideouts, and temples.
Combat & Skills
  • Turn-Based Combat: Our tick-based time system brings a fresh twist to turn-based combat. Turn priority hinges on your movement, weapon speed, and action speed, emphasizing the importance of tactical decisions.
  • Combat Options: Customize your strategy with over 200 combat abilities, and 12 weapon skill types, each with a unique playstyle.
  • Skills: Experience 14 non-combat skills such as Medicine, Alchemy, Quartermastery, Athletics, and Reading. Level skills through use and strategic focus point allocation, unlocking abilities and passives to tailor your character to your playstyle.
Progression & Customization
  • Expansive Loot: Hundreds of items including potions, armor, recipes, and in-game readable lore books. Stumble upon rare enchantments or learn to enchant your items yourself.
  • Questing: Complete quests for rewards and to increase your reputation among the locals, unlocking exclusive benefits. On top of the hand-designed quests, towns and cities generate dynamic quests based on NPC roles in each town.
  • In-Depth Crafting: Craft food, potions and medicine; upgrade and maintain your armor with salvaged materials. Enhance your crafting skills by purchasing or finding recipe scrolls.
  • Character Customization: Shape your character's destiny with 7 background choices and over 30 starting traits.
Early Access
Despite being in early access the game has a significant amount of content already added, with around 12-16 hours required to win. Join the adventure as we continue to develop and extend the world of Enalia.​

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1519490/The_Doors_of_Trithius/

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Lost me at "procedurally generated", why would I want to "explore" when you settle for throwing random shit at me? Design a proper world dammit.

Cogemesiter

Novice
Why is this game just now coming to light on the codex if it’s been in EA for a few years now? Also all these retards complaining about procedural generation lol.

sser

Arcane
Developer
There's also a multi-year old thread on it in the CRPG forum and discussion in the Roguelike thread...

I look forward to this one, played it only a little then set it down to allow for more dev. It has a lot of promise.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The Doors of Trithius is an upcoming roguelike with the depth of an RPG

Also this sentence is retarded

That's like saying Quake is an upcoming arena shooter with the depth of an FPS

Shameful for someone who posts news tbh
I assumed that he meant it was shallow for a roguelike. Since usually to compensate for having no time spent on graphics, more gameplay depth is put in. Since it really frees you up for whatever gameplay systems you can think up, only limited by the developer's imagination. A roguelike with the depth of a regular RPG would be removing that time on graphics for nothing.

Unless roguelite was meant, in which case, yeah, that makes sense.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This procedurally generated shit has to die already
It's a roguelike ffs.
The problem is that almost everything is a roguelike these days. There's hundreds if not thousands of roguelikes of every flavor on Steam and GoG, and apart from those, there's a ton of free ones floating around the net too.
And due to procedural generation algorithms all creating samey dungeon maps over and over, they all feel the same at some point. Doesn't matter how mechanically complex they are or how much they differ from each other, they all feel the same due to the proc gen dungeons.

I'm so fucking tired of procedural slop at this point. Hire a fucking level designer FFS.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This procedurally generated shit has to die already
It's a roguelike ffs.
The problem is that almost everything is a roguelike these days. There's hundreds if not thousands of roguelikes of every flavor on Steam and GoG, and apart from those, there's a ton of free ones floating around the net too.
And due to procedural generation algorithms all creating samey dungeon maps over and over, they all feel the same at some point. Doesn't matter how mechanically complex they are or how much they differ from each other, they all feel the same due to the proc gen dungeons.

I'm so fucking tired of procedural slop at this point. Hire a fucking level designer FFS.

Rogue-likes have less content, which is the main reason why "full-sized" RPGs are so hard to make.

There's no point in making a 40-hr RPG when people will throw 6000 hours repetitively grinding through the same six lol who am I kidding two dungeon tilesets.

Financially speaking, rogue-likes are so much more effective than RPGs.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Lost me at "procedurally generated", why would I want to "explore" when you settle for throwing random shit at me? Design a proper world dammit.
Dwarf Fortress procedurally generates worlds better than most game studios hand craft them. It not only generates the terrain, but also all the population centers, what kind of people own those population centers, growth and founding of new population centers of a civilization, legendary creatures, wars, prominent figures and their actions, any artifacts that have been created, fights between prominent figures and other prominent figures or legendary creatures, natural events like earthquakes and volcanoes and the effects on nearby areas, and so on. In other words, it will generate the entire world and then generate how many years worth of history and lore go on in that world before you set out on your embark or journey, depending on if you're playing Fortress mode or Adventure mode. I've had games of Dwarf Fortress start right after the mountain home where my dwarves came from got sacked by goblins they were at war with, and the royal family of that mountain home were either killed or captured with the captured ones being in held in a specific goblin city. If you check the stone carvings and tapestries that your dwarves make, they can range from them carving events that happened in your fortress while you're playing, to the history of the land or your people before you started playing. I've had legendary beasts show up at my fortress with old injuries and wounds they received from previous fights they've had in history.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom