Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Quest Thread

flyingjohn

Arcane
There are rumors floating around that Square plans on scrapping traditional turn based combat for DQ XII for their more western darker approach.
If that is true I trust my Japanese bros to spam Square with death threats again, the same they did to prevent DQ IX from becoming an action rpg.
Square has no input with enix ip's.
It was part of the deal when the merger happened.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The game will also change the command battle system, but still be the well known turn-based RPG battle system.

Don't think it'll be such a big departure from what the combat was like before. The one thing that does make me hesitant, however..

The announcement trailer showed very little, but gave an ominous tone with its fiery text, and a voice saying “what is the purpose of light?” Creator Yuji Horii also described the game as “an adult Dragon Quest” during the livestream, and how a decision players or the character makes will change the game dramatically.

For me the appeal in DQ has always been the whimsical nature of the series. That said they weren't childish games. I hope they aren't trying to go full grimdark here, though I don't really expect that they will. We just might get less Sylvandos this time.

The claim that it'll have C&C is also a bit suspect to me. Having meaningful C&C in a game that's over 100h long isn't really a feasible thing, unless they cut down the game length by a lot from what it was in DQ11 (which I'd be fine with, the game was too long).

Dragon Quest III on SNES had interesting Ultima IV/Ogre Battle style C&C at the start of the game (the consequence being stat growths for your hero), the game ask you multiple questions, then put you in a playable scenario (there are 5) where the game judges your behaviour during it.

I'm replaying it right now and i was put in a scenario where you control a demon in a village. Depending of whom you kill/don't kill by pressing the action button, you may end up with one of 5 personalities with wide varying stat growths.

Here's the full tree if you want to see more of it https://dragon-quest.org/images/d/dc/DQIII_starting_personality.png

On the other hand, something tell me that DQ XII "C&C" will just be modern AAA shit... Unskippable cutscenes but with CHOICES™ to justify it. :decline:

Vorark

Erudite
More interested in DQIII remake than whatever they are cooking up for DQXII.

ZoddGuts

Augur
Anyone know if there is/was supposed to be a new DQ Monsters game? I thought I'd read something to that effect and this seemed like a logical event to play it up, but no dice. Hopefully the new Treasures game isn't that...

Right after the Treasure trailer was shown. Horii stated that a Monster game is being made, guess it's still to far from being shown because they just started developing it.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
ZziQs0z.png

flyingjohn

Arcane
Enix is notorious for fucking up and greed.
DQ 11 was too safe for a return to form.
DQ 10 was a mmo.
DQ 9 was focused too much on multiplayer on a handheld.
DQ 8 was given to a completely different company to develop.
DQ remakes were made piss easy and dumbed down.
DQ side games are a mixed bag.

Yeah,their track record with this franchise after VII is stellar.

DQVIII was really impressive though.
When you think about it, it's the only JRPG (not DQ, JRPG) with an old school world map fully rendered in 3D with 1:1 scale.
No other game did that before and since. They either have a menu, zones, "open world" or small scale world map.

And for the remakes it depends
DQ III SNES IV PSX and V PS2 are by far the best versions of the games. the added content is meaningful and they aren't dumbed down at all.
DQ IV PSX is being translated btw, so the best version might be available to us.

DS remakes are effectively dumbed down though, but VI looks so good on snes that it doesn't need a remake anyway.

flyingjohn

Arcane
it was a homage to the series
because the other company that had been developing DQ up until then went on a burn out induced hiatus.

Name one element the game is actually homaging that isn't a "generic light hearted jrpg with turn based combat"?
It is typical by the numbers homage from a Jap aaa perspective.Nothing great but nothing bad as well.

DQ8 being given to level 5 was a weird choice.They only made dark cloud 1 and 2,not exactly a amazing record for their star franchise.
Horri picking them personally was always a mystery.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
because the other company that had been developing DQ up until then went on a burn out induced hiatus.

Name one element the game is actually homaging that isn't a "generic light hearted jrpg with turn based combat"?
It is typical by the numbers homage from a Jap aaa perspective.Nothing great but nothing bad as well.

DQ8 being given to level 5 was a weird choice.They only made dark cloud 1 and 2,not exactly a amazing record for their star franchise.

Almost every single Dragon Quest has been developed by a different studio under Horii's supervision...

flyingjohn

Arcane
Did you even play the game? It's full of references to past games and the ending even links it directly to DQ3.

Truly a great homage for series known for its riveting stories.
How about giving homage to the original by making a ultima/wizardry style game?
How about hiving homage to dq 6 by making a modern version of the dual world concept?
Oh wait,let's just add references.You know,like all the modern remakes/homages do.

I don't hate the game.Just expected something more from a homage game.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Almost every single Dragon Quest has been developed by a different studio under Horii's supervision...

DQ 1-5:
Chunsoft
DQ 6-7:
Heartbeat
DQ 8-9:
Level 5
DQ 10-11:
Square Enix

Horii is the only stable development element of the franchise.

Sentinel

Arcane
"The director of this franchise who gets to pick who he works with is the only stable development element of its development"
a stunning revelation

and not even true

Shintaro Majima
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (2013) (Development Producer)
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation (2010) (Development Producer)
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (2007) (Development Producer)
Dragon Quest Builders (2016) (Art Director / CG Illustrator)
Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line (2014) (Character & World CG Designer)
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (2013) (Art Director)
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation (2010) (Art Director)
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (2008) (Art Direction)
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (2007) (Art Director)
Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon - Special... (2007) (Character designer)
Dragon Quest V: Tenkū no Hanayome (2004) (Art Director)
Dragon Quest IV: Michibikareshi Monotachi (2001) (Art Director)
Dragon Warrior VII (2000) (Art Director)
Dragon Warrior III (1996) (Character & World CG Designer)
Dragon Quest VI: Maboroshi no Daichi (1995) (Graphic Design)
Dragon Quest V: Tenkū no Hanayome (1992) (Graphics Designer)

The game will also change the command battle system, but still be the well known turn-based RPG battle system.

Don't think it'll be such a big departure from what the combat was like before. The one thing that does make me hesitant, however..

The announcement trailer showed very little, but gave an ominous tone with its fiery text, and a voice saying “what is the purpose of light?” Creator Yuji Horii also described the game as “an adult Dragon Quest” during the livestream, and how a decision players or the character makes will change the game dramatically.

For me the appeal in DQ has always been the whimsical nature of the series. That said they weren't childish games. I hope they aren't trying to go full grimdark here, though I don't really expect that they will. We just might get less Sylvandos this time.

The claim that it'll have C&C is also a bit suspect to me. Having meaningful C&C in a game that's over 100h long isn't really a feasible thing, unless they cut down the game length by a lot from what it was in DQ11 (which I'd be fine with, the game was too long).

At most I'd just kind of expect them to have the kind of stuff Dragon Ball gets away with, (violence...maybe some boobs but probably not) and a darker, but not dull, color palette. The opening cinematic stuff in DQ11 had a darker palette at times, and moodier atomphere, than the game. Since they're remaking DQ3 at the same time, they probably saw this as a chance to do something a little different from normal with the series. Wonder if the new Yakuza has anything to do with the change too, since Dragon Quest plays a part in it.

CRPGs in the '90s and early 2000s could dip into that 100 hour range, so I wouldn't be too worried about having good C&C.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
someone made a tool/script that allows hacking the Party Chat dialog back into an english-language rom of DQ 4 on NDS:

https://github.com/concreted/dqiv-nds-en-script-patcher

you'll need to acquire both a japanese ROM of dq4 and your english-lang ROM of dq4, though this is easy enough,

Actually, reading this through it seems to be somewhat of a lengthy process to get this working. Seems doable. I'm lazy though so I'll wait until someone does the process (using python 3) and generates a patched jpn ROM w/ english script + party chat and uploads it somewhere.

tet666

Augur
Just got XI, VIII was one of my favorite PS2 games.

It feels so good just to run around and listen to the music, a very relaxing game.

I recommend a music mod then since even the definitive edition of XI doesn't have a lot of good songs because Sugiyama is a lazy old fuck.
There are tons of those on nexus but i recommend v5 of this one https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonquestxisdefinitiveedition/mods/5
since it has a lot of DQ8 songs (DE only has the over world theme by default).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom