Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - turn-based RPG based on parodic French fantasy setting

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Abu Antar, Jul 31, 2015.

1. ValeVelKal Arcane

ValeVelKal
    So I just bought it and did the tutorial until the "wheel of misfortune" end-of-tutorial fight. Looks solid in terms of gameplay, a nice development // variant of the "two-actions by impulse" of nuXCOM.

I feel like orienting the character is one click every time that could be avoided, eg just orient the character toward the last character that (s)he attacked or was attacked with, and you can play the rogue. Based on the tutorial, I feel like it was only done for the rogue and a few things like AoO that could have been solved with my proposal above.

I played in French text and English voice and the translation is really, err, creative. They prefered to keep the spirit rather than the letter of the dialog, but in a good way (and some "French-culture" jokes would not have been translated well anyway).

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    There is a party skill thingy that could give a bonus action to a selected character,and other things too. It not very noticeable,it is in the bottom left corner,i barely use it,since it feels a bit like cheating.

^ Top  
  3. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Nah, that only helps even the odds every now and then. Of course if Nuffle is on your side you'll not need it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Nortar Savant Patron

Nortar
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Flanking and backstabs play a very important role in your survivability and damage output, at least on harder difficulties.
    Once you get more CC skills, it could be useful to stun/knockdown one enemy and turn to face to another so he won't backstab you for ungodly amount of damage.

Btw, it's not *the* wheel of misfortune fight in tutorial yet, as the wheel does nothing there. ;)

^ Top  
  5. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    attacks of opportunity too, they only trigger if the attacker is facing the person moving in a 3 tile cone

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    So regarding the developer Artefacts Studio. They've been doing work for hires on generic games for a long time (since 2003), but recently they turned them into a tactical RPG studio.

Beside Naheulbeuk they've been also prototyping a turn-based space RPG (curiously with some multiplayer elements) based on French comics Ythaq, which they intended to work on full-time after the release of Naheulbeuk.

Interview around 2018, via Google Translate: https://relais-culture-europe.eu/fr/news/avec-le-soutien-deurope-creative-media-artefacts-studio

(That Warhammer 40K is Space Hulk Tactics for Cyanide and Focus Home Interactive.)

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Angelo85 Magister

Angelo85
    About halfway through and having quite some fun with the game. IMHO it's a solid Dungeon Crawler.

- Combat mechanics are sophisticated, but a couple more enemies that make use of the mechanics/combos would have been nice.
    - Dialogue is enjoyably silly, not many cringe moments personally thus far. Pure Dungeon Crawlers can run out of steam or quickly feel like more-of-the-samish, I think the humor and silly cast of stereotype characters actually adds something of value to the game in this instance.
    - Loot/Itemization is alright but again some more unique items with special effects that enhance your tactical repertoire besides the belt items would have been great. For instance instead of a mundane +20% poison chance bow give me a harpoon that has shorter range but pulls enemies or something along those lines... something that spices the tactical combat options up even more would have been appreciated in the items department.
    - There's a tad too much backtracking involved for my liking especially considering the sluggish controls (for instance the game doesn't adapt the WASD-key directions while rotating the camera in real-time; you have to actually stop rotating for a second before moving again to walk in the desired direction without confusion. But I hope little things like this will get patched eventually)
    - Skills are diverse and different builds for the characters are definitely possible.
    - Combat encounter variety is alright, nothing groundbreaking but not too monotone either. In a word solid.

:4/5:/:5/5:
    4 out of 5 trolls from me!

Now for something completely different, yet related:

Which Character is your favorite?
    Here's a Strawpoll: https://www.strawpoll.me/21020728

Favorite as in whatever way you define it. Best, most useful, funniest, coolest, sexiest!
    Obvious and obligatory KC option is the Minstrel. For full disclosure I also posted this poll over at the Steam Forums :argh:

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  8. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    The barbarian and the priestess,love how she constantly insult them and mocks them for being poor lol.

^ Top  
  9. Nortar Savant Patron

Nortar
    Sock! Soooock!!
    I mean the Dwarf, of course.
    But all of them are spot on, even the Elf, hehe.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    :bro:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Shame that it doesn't have more screen time and dialogue.

^ Top  
  12. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    That bit where he knocks out the shopkeeper was hilarious too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Bara Savant

Bara
    A true barbarian who actively pillages and plunders in the story. We need more barbarians like that in games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Background Character Savant

Background Character
    This game was an enjoyable surprise to me, I went in expecting nothing good and it caught my attention and I couldn't stop playing until I beat it, the gameplay was decent even though I'm well into hating this new Xcom turn based style whatever you call it and the humor was god too, not that bad at all. Once again it was a really enjoyable experience, glad I played it.

This post brought you by the god of boredom that I forgot the name. Socks. Ranger first outfit best outfit and best backpack.

^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/10/01/the-dungeon-of-naheulbeuk-review/

• coof coof x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. bec de corbin Educated

bec de corbin
    That's more exciting to me, I think. I don't care for the comedy in this game but the combat is great, so I think I'd be down for something else from these guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Bullshit. The game even comes with a built-in RNG counterbalance.
    If you lose a fight it was on you.

Seems more like people are simply neglecting precision and getting upset that they miss too much.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ValeVelKal Arcane

ValeVelKal
    Honestly, I playing difficulty level Epic [3 out of 4] and all combats are tight, but "fair" so far. I wonder whether people who are not used to using consumables (especially the "non-healing" consumables) are not having a lot of problem, they really tip the balance.

I am not sure if the article believes that the RNG is rigged (which would be laudable) or that the game is too random (because as you say the precision starts low).

But eh, I am still early. Which brings me to the question - I am at the point where I have to choose between the Paladin, the Priestess and the Bard. I really like the Paladin "no BS" character, and in general I don't like priests ; on the other hand I really like the Bard powers that I have seen so far, while the Paladin feels like Yet Another Tank. Any recommendation on who to take to have the most fun between Bard & Paladin ?

^ Top  
  19. Bara Savant

Bara
    Nearing the end of the game started noticing more bugs.

Things like certain objects having names like:
    • "prisoner_door_0321" when highlighting them things
    • certain npcs sitting a few feet from the actual chairs (only happened once)
    • levers that should have been deactivated when completing the puzzle remained active and can softlock you if you use them (i was curious what would happend)
    • a mage robe that far outclasses all the other robes I've gotten so far and sells for 5k gold to a vendor is grey colored instead of gold
    The game remains remains a delight and these bugs are barley a problem save the lever one but forewarned is forarmed.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Nortar Savant Patron

Nortar
    After their introduction lines, the 3 optional characters have noticeably less barks than the "core team".
    And each of them has only 1 personal side quest.
    So it's up your preferences, as the game can be completed with any of them.

In personal experience, my melee zone was already crowded enough to restrict free usage of all the area attacks, so I don't know were would I fit yet another melee-Paladin.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. ValeVelKal Arcane

ValeVelKal
    Who did you take ? Priestess or Bards ?

• coof coof x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    I took the priestess, healing wave is awesome.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • coof coof x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. *-*/\--/\~ Arbiter

*-*/\--/\~
    So far it is solid for me, but the extreme slowness / clunkiness is kinda killing it. Every enemy seems to take 10 seconds before and after their action to just stand there like a dick, I've filled a couple pages in my sketchbook just waiting to get my turn already.

^ Top  
  24. Harthwain Savant

Harthwain
    Settings -> Game -> Combat -> Faster combat animations.

• No No x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Nortar Savant Patron

Nortar
    Yeah, I chose the Priestess too.
    But the Bard looks very interesting too. Choosing between the Bard and the Paladin, I would go with the Bard.

• sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.