Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Memospore update

Zeriel

Arcane
Well, I don't mind a TES MMORPG. Actually the PVP does seem interesting, and I'm tired of all these MMORPGs that feel more like singleplayer games with co-op because they are all about STORY and EMOTIONAL ENGAGEMENT. TESO on the other hand looks more like a traditional MMOs where player interaction and team work were the fun part.
What pisses me off is this Lawrence guy that comes along and rapes all the years of investment that countless fans have put on the lore, all the theories about the culture of different races and earth bones, all of Kirkbride's legacy (which influenced even Skyrim) and everything that made TES an interesting setting. The guy is basically turning all that into a cheap LotR/WoW copy because Zenimax fears that the mythical CoD/WoW audience will feel intimidated by Dark Elves that aren't edgy emo goths, Wood Elves that eat their own or nazi High Elves that kill their own children on the hope of creating a beautiful race.

And this is what I was trying to get at way earlier in this thread when people were wondering what the big deal was about the MMO being the first Elder Scrolls game (sans Arena, which was very proto) to explore all the provinces. It's almost certainly going to color future Elder Scrolls singleplayer games (assuming there actually are any). And if we look at World of Warcraft as an example of what happens to a franchise after an MMO, it isn't exactly encouraging. When was the last time we heard anything about Warcraft 4?

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I seriously doubt that TESO will achieve the #players or the prolongivity of WoW. Not to mention that it's an entirely different team than Toddtard and co. designing it.

Zeriel

Arcane
That doesn't neccessarily mean it can't influence the rest of the series. Though it is interesting (and atypical) how they've ringfenced it in the past and even made little rumblings about all the lore being disbelieved fanfiction in the setting.

Sul

Savant
Even more memospore!
The only thing I managed to get from the video was Uriel Septim from Arena and what appears to be a Tsaesci, otherwise it didn't made much sense.

Well, I don't mind a TES MMORPG. Actually the PVP does seem interesting, and I'm tired of all these MMORPGs that feel more like singleplayer games with co-op because they are all about STORY and EMOTIONAL ENGAGEMENT. TESO on the other hand looks more like a traditional MMOs where player interaction and team work were the fun part.
What pisses me off is this Lawrence guy that comes along and rapes all the years of investment that countless fans have put on the lore, all the theories about the culture of different races and earth bones, all of Kirkbride's legacy (which influenced even Skyrim) and everything that made TES an interesting setting. The guy is basically turning all that into a cheap LotR/WoW copy because Zenimax fears that the mythical CoD/WoW audience will feel intimidated by Dark Elves that aren't edgy emo goths, Wood Elves that eat their own or nazi High Elves that kill their own children on the hope of creating a beautiful race.

And this is what I was trying to get at way earlier in this thread when people were wondering what the big deal was about the MMO being the first Elder Scrolls game (sans Arena, which was very proto) to explore all the provinces. It's almost certainly going to color future Elder Scrolls singleplayer games (assuming there actually are any). And if we look at World of Warcraft as an example of what happens to a franchise after an MMO, it isn't exactly encouraging. When was the last time we heard anything about Warcraft 4?
A different studio is doing TESO. It shouldn't affect Bethesda in any way.

That doesn't neccessarily mean it can't influence the rest of the series. Though it is interesting (and atypical) how they've ringfenced it in the past and even made little rumblings about all the lore being disbelieved fanfiction in the setting.
And it's funny how much of the lore they used in Skyrim, even the "fanfiction" that Kirkbride made after he left Bethesda.

granit

Scholar
Actually, has anyone thought that hardcore fans of TES have been augmenting their experiences with mods so much, that they may not actually be able to stand a TES experience that's permanently stuck in vanilla mode?

Up to and including Morrowind, you did not need to mod. After that it was not so much augmenting as it was trying to repair a terribly damaged and dumbed down system to be more in line with previous games.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
That Pelinal fan art is awful.
it's not pelinal, it's lorkhan.

not that there's much of a difference.

also fuck you.

edit: the sad thing is, kirkbride is the only one who stills gives a shit. so all we get is vivec lessons esoteric shit stuffed down our throath (see memospores, tiber eptims sword meeting, etc). sorry, mike, but you can't save it anymore. it's banal. it's shit. it's boring. enjoy trying to save the titanic, long after it has sunk to the depths of the ocean.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Inb4 "Tortanic: The Second Sinking".

Yes, I both loved and didn’t love ESO’s combat; it’s one of the most important things for the game to get right.
Always funny to read when a professional game journalist tries to be honest, while knowing he/she can't, and goes with something like: "its awkward, BUT in the same time it's not!!!". Reminds me George Carlin's "but he loves you".

Good that I don't play MMOs - gonna be laughing from a safe distance.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Inb4 "Tortanic: The Second Sinking".

Yes, I both loved and didn’t love ESO’s combat; it’s one of the most important things for the game to get right.
Always funny to read when a professional game journalist tries to be honest, while knowing he/she can't, and goes with something like: "its awkward, BUT in the same time it's not!!!". Reminds me George Carlin's "but he loves you".

Good that I don't play MMOs - gonna be laughing from a safe distance.

MMORPG.com journalists in particular seem to be sickeningly gushing over every piece of media and whatever interview they score from Zenimax. Fanboys should not be allowed to report on their object of obsession, especially when they later try to rationalize it when community calls them out on it. Can't wait to see how that 1st person camera is going to work in what is otherwise just a dressed-up tab-targeted MMO.

Stabwound

Arcane
Cool Morrowind theme along with a game that looks nothing like TES.

It would have been too good of an idea to make it play like Morrowind but with MMORPG shit built in. No, instead it's apparently Guild Wars.

I hope this tanks worse than the Titantic.

DeepOcean

Arcane
If this thing is going to have subs, it will just be retarded. Why pay every month for a game that won't even have the only redeeming feature of Skyrim , the hiking simulation(the graphics and animation quality are worse than Morrowind)? Why make a sub MMO that could just eat the sales of the single player games, and just have no chance of defeating WoW? How many times are they going to reuse the Morrowind theme? They are so creative bankrupt, that they can't even invent a new theme.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom