Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

ADL

Prophet
I don't like the UI. They developed it to resemble the Skyrim UI which is the single worst UI in any Elder Scrolls game. Do they think Skyrim players are so stupid they wouldn't be able to comprehend a different UI? What a stupid decision from a design standpoint..
Pure copium but I'm hoping they'll refresh the UI to make it look more like TESVI once that's revealed. Until then, on PC, there's addons that get rid of any trace of it.

Drakortha

Liturgist
It's been over a week and my brother hasn't returned to the game. But I'm still playing and I'm just about to hit level 20.

What's keeping me coming back I think is the leveling is at a decent pace and it's a little addicting. And I'm also just enjoying exploring Vvardenfell again and doing some of the quests. The crafting system is pretty good too and I like the collecting aspect of it. There's a ton of styles, which I like. It gives me something to do in the game besides just killing mobs all the time.

There's potential here for this to have been a solid single player Elder Scrolls game. So far the always online component is completely pointless and only serves as an excuse to market the game as a service with a greedy in-game store and subscription model. I see no other reason why there couldn't have been a separate Mutliplayer/Co-Op mode, and have a single player mode for the rest of us anti-social nerds.

I'm exploring Vvardenfell and doing quests. But having random players running around who I don't even interact with is just pointless. It isn't even a novelty. I guess 13 year old kids would find it amusing, though (and judging by most of the usernames I see, they probably are 13)

The classes and skill bar maybe works in the context of an online competitive mode where balance is a concern. But in an Elder Scrolls game it's a weird choice and it holds the game back from being genuine. I want crazy stuff like levitation back as well as spellmaking, and all the different skills like Conjuration, Illusion, etc. Also, being unable to pause/unpause and save/load is a hindrance at times.

Those are just a few things that come to my mind every time I play. I can't help but think that there's potential for a truly great Elder Scrolls game here but it's held back by the online bullshit that turns everything it touches into moderate, generic slop..

Oh well. I'll keep playing until I get bored with it or something better comes around. I miss the days when I enjoyed the Elder Scrolls.

Last edited:
The classes and skill bar maybe works in the context of an online competitive mode where balance is a concern.
not even that, since it's a known fact there's no balance at all, with some classes oneshotting left and right and others unable to deal any damage.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I'm still in Vvardenfell, level 24 now just trying to complete more of the quests and find all the ancestral tomb rubbings before I move onto another map. I finished the zone storyline and it was actually quite enjoyable even though it was outright fan service. Some of the lore around Vivec, The Ashlanders, and the Nevarine had me booting up my original Morrowind save from 2003 on my Xbox just so I could speak to Vivec again and read some of the lore scrolls he left out in his palace. It was a nice trip down memory lane.

I'm ashamed to admit I gave in and bought crowns so I could expand my bank space. I like crafting in these games and it requires me to collect almost everything, but to hell with paying a subscription just to access a crafting bag. At first I used my gold to expand my bank space, but each time I did, the cost of expanding my storage went up until it became an unmanageable amount. You got me, Zenimax. Well played there.

I wanted to buy Summerset but I guess it's on the backburner for now. There's still plenty to do in Vvardenfell and other areas, and I don't have to worry about bank storage for at least a little while now. But I expect I'll be extorted to buy crowns again before long.

Last edited:

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
I'm still in Vvardenfell, level 24 now just trying to complete more of the quests and find all the ancestral tomb rubbings before I move onto another map. I finished the zone storyline and it was actually quite enjoyable even though it was outright fan service. Some of the lore around Vivec, The Ashlanders, and the Nevarine had me booting up my original Morrowind save from 2003 on my Xbox just so I could speak to Vivec again and read some of the lore scrolls he left out in his palace. It was a nice trip down memory lane.

I'm ashamed to admit I gave in and bought crowns so I could expand my bank space. I like crafting in these games and it requires me to collect almost everything, but to hell with paying a subscription just to access a crafting bag. At first I used my gold to expand my bank space, but each time I did, the cost of expanding my storage went up until it became an unmanageable amount. You got me, Zenimax. Well played there.

I wanted to buy Summerset but I guess it's on the backburner for now. There's still plenty to do in Vvardenfell and other areas, and I don't have to worry about bank storage for at least a little while now. But I expect I'll be extorted to buy crowns again before long.
Gay.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I should add; The way Ashlanders are portrayed in this sucks. They just look like ordinary Dunmer and are voice acted by the usual english speaking voiceactors. I always imagined Ashlanders should look more gaunt and aboriginal in appearance, and have raspy voices. They should have had their own unique voice acting and face models but that would be expecting too much from a 2024 video game.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
July Login Rewards

For those insane enough not to use ESO Plus
Clockwork City DLC—Day 2

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/66323

Clockwork is excellent. Remember though, chronologically speaking, Clockwork comes after Morrowind.

f9f4571570f9bd4d6efa2acb01daafc3_the-brass-fortress-abode-of-the-clockwork-apostles_original.jpg

Drakortha

Liturgist
Archery in this game is so scuffed. The sniping skill is called Focused Aim and it has a range of 40, which is the longest range of any skill I've seen so far. The problem is if I engage a mob from 40 meters and it gets aggro'd, there is only like 10 meters of space behind me that I can walk backwards to kite the mob. By passing the 10 meters, the mob resets itself to full health and runs back to it's starting position...

fuck MMO's

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Archery in this game is so scuffed. The sniping skill is called Focused Aim and it has a range of 40, which is the longest range of any skill I've seen so far. The problem is if I engage a mob from 40 meters and it gets aggro'd, there is only like 10 meters of space behind me that I can walk backwards to kite the mob. By passing the 10 meters, the mob resets itself to full health and runs back to it's starting position...

fuck MMO's
Leashing is terrible. One of the reasons why EQ was great and everything after it was steep decline.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Fucking hell the monetization method is downright predatory and it's holding the game back massively.

I wanted to buy some DLC so I could experience actual CONTENT, but I've ran out of bank space again and I need to buy more if I want to continue playing. Or I have to give in and sub to ESO Plus, which I won't do. Paying a subscription to a game to get a few perks and bonuses is one thing. But they've stunted the game without it and they've done it on purpose.

I'm not doing any more account upgrades, I've drawn the line. I've purchased bank space once already and I feel ripped off. Why even offer a crown store with account upgrades if you can't even buy a playable game in the end? All roads lead to needing ESO plus for the crafting bag alone.

Having to decide between buying an expansion with content or an account upgrade that gets you nowhere is fucking stupid and I wish I saw this trap sooner. If anyone is on the fence about trying ESO; just don't. Go play Guild Wars 2 instead. You can invest under $100 into GW2 and have a playable account forever and you'll own all the DLC.

Last edited:

Drakortha

Liturgist
having multiple mule characters is mandatory, one for each category of crafting items.

I've seen this suggested all over reddit as well as on the ESO forums. It's the most retarded shit I've ever seen. Zenimax should be ashamed of themselves for making paying customers go through this. This is exactly how you make someone not want to play your game anymore or spend any more money on it.
Go play Guild Wars 2 instead.
hey guys, do you know what's better than having your dick chopped off? chlamydia. go get it instead.
Planetside 2, then. At least that game has the decency to provide a playable game, and the sub fee gives optional things like xp bonuses. That is the correct way to do a F2P game with a store and optional sub.

at least they give you plenty of char slots, most of the other games make you pay for them too.

ps2? one of the worst p2w games ever? intreadasting.

Drakortha

Liturgist
ps2? one of the worst p2w games ever? intreadasting.
I played PS2 since it's launch and I never once felt like the game was actively trying to extort me..

I even subbed a couple of times over the years whenever I found myself playing a lot and having fun and I wanted an XP boost. I never felt bad about it.

Zenimax should have made ESO playable without a sub. Who knows? I may have subbed somewhere down the line if I found myself enjoying the game a lot. But thanks to their greedy method of railroading PAYING customers into subbing, I'll never make it that far.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Fucking hell the monetization method is downright predatory and it's holding the game back massively.

I wanted to buy some DLC so I could experience actual CONTENT, but I've ran out of bank space again and I need to buy more if I want to continue playing. Or I have to give in and sub to ESO Plus, which I won't do. Paying a subscription to a game to get a few perks and bonuses is one thing. But they've stunted the game without it and they've done it on purpose.

I'm not doing any more account upgrades, I've drawn the line. I've purchased bank space once already and I feel ripped off. Why even offer a crown store with account upgrades if you can't even buy a playable game in the end? All roads lead to needing ESO plus for the crafting bag alone.

Having to decide between buying an expansion with content or an account upgrade that gets you nowhere is fucking stupid and I wish I saw this trap sooner. If anyone is on the fence about trying ESO; just don't. Go play Guild Wars 2 instead. You can invest under $100 into GW2 and have a playable account forever and you'll own all the DLC.
You realize that you can upgrade your inventory and bank with gold?
I've purchased bank space once already and I feel ripped off.
That's because you were, but you did it to yourself.

You also did that when you bought crowns instead of ESO+, which also comes with the equivalent amount of crowns anyway.

Drakortha

Liturgist
yes but every time you buy some space the gold cost goes up exponentially to the point where it's impossible for a new player to buy more space with gold in a reasonable timespan. It's more shenanigans to get you to shell out real money for crowns, which gets you nowhere because it maxes out at only 240 spaces. Without a crafting bag it's never going to be enough space.

Zenimax could have made delivering good DLC's and content their bread and butter. But they decided that good content was secondary to pushing subs and fleecing new players.

Gerrard

Arcane
yes but every time you buy some space, the gold cost goes up exponentially to the point where it's impossible for a new player to buy more space with gold in a reasonable timespan. It's more shenanigans to get you to shell out money for crowns, or give in and sub.

And I've read that it maxes out at only 240 spaces. Without a crafting bag it's never going to be enough space.
As a new player what do you need all that inventory space for? Stop looting every seaweed you come across.
As a new player you don't really have other things to spend money on.

Drakortha

Liturgist
As a new player what do you need all that inventory space for? Stop looting every seaweed you come across.
As a new player you don't really have other things to spend money on.
I'm trying to store crafting materials because I want to do crafting.

How the FUCK am I supposed to level my crafting and play through more of the game if I need first grind 100k+ gold to expand my bank by 10 spaces at a time which eventually maxes at 240 spaces? It's a pathetic waste of valuable time that could be used for exploring and questing and trying out the DLC's.

That is my point. This entire extortion tactic they are using only manages to work against the game and makes a new player want to give up before even experiencing 10% of the game. Especially a new player like me who comes from games like Guild Wars 2 which never pulled any of this kind of shit on it's customers.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
I'm trying to store crafting materials because I want to do crafting.

How the FUCK am I supposed to level my crafting and play through more of the game if I need first grind 100k+ gold to expand my bank by 10 spaces at a time which eventually maxes at 240 spaces? It's a pathetic waste of valuable time that could be used for exploring and questing and trying out the DLC's.
You only need a fixed set of materials to level every crafting skill at any given level, you should only really be deconstructing the gear you find, maybe doing the daily craft quest that gives you extra XP and selling the rest. Cooking, alchemy, and enchanting can be powerleveled once you have some money.
But this is besides the fact that in order to level the crafting skills you need a shitload of extra skill points, something a new character will not have.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom