Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The latest community uprising seems to be against addons, specifically, the one developed by the tamriel foundry site, which adds... actual numbers and stats to your own HUD and your enemies... edgy stuff there. :)

Delterius

Arcane
WoW was very buggy on its initial release. Of course... that was 9+ years ago and technology has come along way since then.
I don't think technology matters much at all. In the end, when most people think of tech they mean graphics, and those aren't such a great selling point. The worst thing the likes of TESO face is that this is after 9 years or more of WoW and people expect the same level of polish they can find right now in it.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The latest community uprising seems to be against addons, specifically, the one developed by the tamriel foundry site, which adds... actual numbers and stats to your own HUD and your enemies... edgy stuff there. :)

Well, it divides the community pretty harshly, since ZO categorically refuses to display numbers or info on enemy actions in the default UI. The people who run UI mods (which show what spell an enemy is channelling, how long he's channelling it, what his current HP and Magicka are, etc.) are going to have a completely different game than the ones who don't. That's likely to turn off casuals down the road.

Angthoron

Arcane
It's pretty damn dumb to make a game without any sort of solid enemy/ally information and then add modding capability on top. Of fucking course that's the first thing that'll be modded in.

Caim

Arcane
It's pretty damn dumb to make a game without any sort of solid enemy/ally information and then add modding capability on top. Of fucking course that's the first thing that'll be modded in.
But why would you code something yourself if you can have your players code it for you?

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, their whole design decision regarding that, in a nutshell:

sERQIYV.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Still... Half of us are tempted to buy this shit... I know I am :(

Wait three months... they'll be selling it for $10. After the initial wave of 'box sales' the next big number they'll have to hype is total subscriptions. And I'm sure they'll include people in the first complimentary month as part of those numbers so they'll be desperate to inflate them. Or do they not offer a free month with box purchase? That would be hilarious.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
how can you be tempted to buy this? haven't you tried the beta? did you miss the memo that it fucking sucks huge ass?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Maybe they get caught up in the hype. I eventually cracked and bought Skyrim for $10 a while ago. Was fun for 50 or so hours and then I got bored. Can't see why people spend hundreds (and even thousands of hours) on it. This game will end up being the same. Derpy arpg good for 30-50 hours of lulz.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
oh I get the hype. I've been caught in the hype whirlwind many times. SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, and many other MMORPGs. I get hyped as hell. I even enjoyed those titles too, at least for a short time after launch.

but fucking elder scrolls online? it never picks up. it starts being shit from second 00:00. it's cutting-edge crap. it's at the forefront of shittiness.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's not hype about the game ,but starting new MMO.There is that feeling of new and exploration,also everyone starting from level 1 and not knowing the dungeons and optimal builds etc.Then you hit 30-ish lvl and start to see the grindy quest patterns and painfully slow character progression, you go to the forums and learn about some outrageous design decision you don't like,so you stop playing,cancel subscription and wait for next MMO to come.

bledcarrot

Educated
but fucking elder scrolls online? it never picks up. it starts being shit from second 00:00. it's cutting-edge crap. it's at the forefront of shittiness.

It's only shitty if you don't like these kinds of action rpgs. Plenty of people actually do. Couple that with the fact that it comes with the excitement of a new MMORPG world to explore and I can understand the hype. I mean hey, I'm with you, I'd much prefer to play something with more depth and more tactical combat...but I can see why people do like this stuff. It's effortless fun, a first person shooter with some incentive to level and explore.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

It's only shitty if you don't like these kinds of action rpgs. Plenty of people actually do. Couple that with the fact that it comes with the excitement of a new MMORPG world to explore and I can understand the hype. I mean hey, I'm with you, I'd much prefer to play something with more depth and more tactical combat...but I can see why people do like this stuff. It's effortless fun, a first person shooter with some incentive to level and explore.
trust me, I play a lot of junk.
I would even chose to re-play two worlds II over this.

the story is.. I don't know. I've played it but I don't know. I don't know why my character exists in this world.
the presentation (graphics, sound) lack ambiance and style.
the combat is shit. and no, before anyone says it again - it's not like skyrim. skyrim was (to use the codex' favorite marketing term) visceral. this shit is just clumsy button-mashing.

what exactly is the draw?
a new world to explore, alright, I get that. MMORPGs are fun even if they're shit, as long as you're among the frontiers figuring out where everything is and what everything does. but this novelty value expires after a week. I suppose that's enough for some people.

Angthoron

Arcane
"Half-tempting" MMOs are best to start 3 months post-launch: By that time they're usually patched to some kind of decent shape, the entry price point collapses to about half, the player base is spread out across content and not competing with your Kill 10 Mudcrabs/Collect 100 Nirnroot starter zone quests, and, best of all, you'll probably have found something better to play anyway.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
WoW was very buggy on its initial release. Of course... that was 9+ years ago and technology has come along way since then.
9 years ago it was still the norm for a mmo to be buggy mess at launch. Since then the market has grown a lot and most AAA launches aren't that bad.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe they get caught up in the hype. I eventually cracked and bought Skyrim for $10 a while ago. Was fun for 50 or so hours and then I got bored. Can't see why people spend hundreds (and even thousands of hours) on it. This game will end up being the same. Derpy arpg good for 30-50 hours of lulz.

It won't for lacking the total mod support, and yes Two Worlds II or even Amalur are better than Skyrim out of box but almost noone replays them thanks to this.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
I had downloaded the beta early and got through the initial dungeon to the starter island. I killed some wolves and talked to some quest givers. I know that isn't much. I suddenly got overwhelmed by incredible boredom. I didn't log in again during the beta weekend. I played Banished again, which I found more exciting.

Despite my obvious enthusiasm, I don't think this will be a failure for Zenimax. The price of the box is high enough to already give quite a bit of return of investment for them. Who knows, there seem to be enough fans of this.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I was half tempted by SWTOR; GW2; WAR; AoC; TSW; EQ2; FFXIV... and disappointed by all of them at one point or another after the first month, but i have this mmo itch i have to scratch since i have up WoW 7 years ago, its always there, trying to capture the feeling of vanilla WoW (first mmo i played with any kind of dedication), its like that first time you do cocaine... never the same. :(

Xenich

Cipher
You won't be hitting that itch here, bro - I know what you mean, but this just ain't it.

Yep, I was thinking the same when I first tried it and then realized that it couldn't even fulfill that basic experience.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
For me the main problem was that I couldn't stop comparing it to Skyrim. At best it's vanilla Skyrim with latency and random people jumping around your quest objective. I played Skyrim for ~40 hours because I had open world-ish scratch to itch but after that the deep issues with the game became clear to me. Now with teso I see these flaws from the beginning so I get nothing from "Skyrim Online" experience (especially without mods). The price doesn't help either.

I think that many people will have the same problem with it and won't resubscribe after the first month.

I'll try the next beta since they've added collision and skip-able tutorial island but I doubt it'll change my mind.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
For me the main problem was that I couldn't stop comparing it to Skyrim. At best it's vanilla Skyrim with latency and random people jumping around your quest objective. I played Skyrim for ~40 hours because I had open world-ish scratch to itch but after that the deep issues with the game became clear to me. Now with teso I see these flaws from the beginning so I get nothing from "Skyrim Online" experience (especially without mods). The price doesn't help either.

I think that many people will have the same problem with it and won't resubscribe after the first month.

I'll try the next beta since they've added collision and skip-able tutorial island but I doubt it'll change my mind.

Yeah, i think the next beta will be what brakes or makes my will to spend or not the 35 euros i need to dish out for the game at kinguin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom