Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Entire History of RPG's

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm really curious what exactly is Emil's design philosophy?
I remember him saying something like "Keep it simple, stupid" when he was working on Skyrim, I believe?
Reminder that he also worked on Thief 2: The Metal Age.
Yeah...
What changed?
Does he have a design philosophy? I think he's just a deeply untalented writer who got Peter Principled into a senior position. He should go back to being a junior level designer.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I remember him saying something like "Keep it simple, stupid" when he was working on Skyrim, I believe?
Yeah...
What changed?
I said this over in the Starfield thread, but he basically said rpg stories should be kept simple and not interfere with the gameplay, which I actually agree with. But Starfield doesn't evince that design style at all. The whole game barfs story at you constantly and it only hurts the game for it.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Yeah...
What changed?

His infamous speech said that his writing had 3 philosophy:

1) Keep it simple, stupid: concentrate on strong central themes, and 1 or 2 strong central themes is enough

2) Write what you know: he gave the example of how the popular Dark Brotherhood questline of Oblivion was based on his experiences with the Catholic Church which he grew up in.

3) Great games are played, not made: he made a point that this is not HIS philosophy, this is a philosophy of Bethesda as a whole. This means several things, then he gave that infamous "no design documents" cause they are constantly changing their games and they found it not worth their effort to keep a central design document. He also mentioned how every Bethesda writer wants to write the next great American novel for his games, but then if they give that novel to the players they will just use them to make paper airplanes. Cause they will just make shacks and find bobbleheads.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
He also mentioned how every Bethesda writer wants to write the next great American novel for his games...
Bethesda writer
Bethesda writer
Bethesda writer

1710611226312.png

Spike

Educated
Yeah...
What changed?

His infamous speech said that his writing had 3 philosophy:

1) Keep it simple, stupid: concentrate on strong central themes, and 1 or 2 strong central themes is enough

2) Write what you know: he gave the example of how the popular Dark Brotherhood questline of Oblivion was based on his experiences with the Catholic Church which he grew up in.

3) Great games are played, not made: he made a point that this is not HIS philosophy, this is a philosophy of Bethesda as a whole. This means several things, then he gave that infamous "no design documents" cause they are constantly changing their games and they found it not worth their effort to keep a central design document. He also mentioned how every Bethesda writer wants to write the next great American novel for his games, but then if they give that novel to the players they will just use them to make paper airplanes. Cause they will just make shacks and find bobbleheads.
Experience with the Catholic Church...? What the...I'm mad curious.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Experience with the Catholic Church...? What the...I'm mad curious.
It's superficial, like the rest of his writing. He equated Sithis with God, and the Night Mother with Mary.

DemonKing

Arcane
Watched it over the weekend. There's really nothing new if you've been around for a while but he does a decent job of nailing all the major trends and missteps.

Have to admit after watching I'm excited to see what the coming decades bring (even if I'll likely not be around for another forty years...)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh come on! I still have a century to go before GOD gets pissed off at maximum life span. 40..... pshhh.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
He's fairly well known for saying that he doesn't believe in design documents at some developer conference where they had him speak, which was dredged up when Starfield landed with a wet thud.

JoacoN

Literate
NeverKnowsBest is the type of youtuber I would give a person who has trouble sleeping, his voice is so fucking slow and the videos end up being boring because of it (like almost all his videos could be 50% shorter if the talked normally)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
OMG! I put that video at .25 speed and it is fucking hilarious. Sure, it is almost impossible to understand at times but lordy did I get a chuckle out of a few segments.

No.... I'm not watching the whole video again at that speed.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
.25x is hilarious. 1.5x sounds like a normal person talking, 1.75x saves a bit more time but is a bit distorted. 2x is distorted, but understandable.

PSA: If his normal delivery bugs you, try 1.5x playback.

just

Liturgist
in short
in 70s college students started with some shitty text adventures on early computers and it all lead down to baldurs gate 3, pinnacle of rpgs never to be exceeded.
thanks for reading. like, comment and subscribe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom