Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within 2

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nobody is a fan of combat in original SH or RE
I may be the one person on the Codex who appreciated the combat in Silent Hill. When the developers said it was a deliberate design decision to make Harry Mason awkward in combat because he isn't a highly trained space marine, I was all in. Played through that lens, the combat is excellent.

Anyway, konsensus is that Evil Within 1 wasn't worth playing. This thread seems generally down on the sequel as well - am I wrong or is Evil Within 2 equally ignorable?

Sunri

Liturgist
I may be the one person on the Codex who appreciated the combat in Silent Hill. When the developers said it was a deliberate design decision to make Harry Mason awkward in combat because he isn't a highly trained space marine, I was all in. Played through that lens, the combat is excellent.

Anyway, konsensus is that Evil Within 1 wasn't worth playing. This thread seems generally down on the sequel as well - am I wrong or is Evil Within 2 equally ignorable?

If you didn't like the first part you won't like second it's worse in every aspect and I agree that sh combat is good it's horror game not a shooter

Wunderbar

Arcane

TEW1 is not a good game, but it's worth checking out on a sale just to see what kind of trainwreck it was.
TEW2 is a competently made and polished game, but it is also kinda soulless and uninspired. Very similar to "Sony's formulaic cinematic experiences™" like TLOU/god of war/biker vs zombies/etc, except with worse production values.

Sunri

Liturgist

TEW1 is not a good game, but it's worth checking out on a sale just to see what kind of trainwreck it was.
TEW2 is a competently made and polished game, but it is also kinda soulless and uninspired. Very similar to "Sony's formulaic cinematic experiences™" like TLOU/god of war/biker vs zombies/etc, except with worse production values.

TEW1 had at least had a good atmosphere and story, what did tew2 have? spammable sneak attacks shitty town and gay ass bosses
The_Evil_Within_2_Stefano_Valentini_boss_fight_hero.jpg

Sunri

Liturgist

Riskbreaker

TEW has some excellent environmental art and is worth playing thru at least once as the first time you play it, even tho you'll have some rough idea of what is going on early on, it does manage to play with you and provide some promising red herrings... 'till you play to the end and see that it's really just poorly cobbled together writing.
So it's a visually enjoyable nightmare that at times tricks you into thinking it more than it is. And the gameplay is inoffensive RE4-like with some annoying bits here and there.

The sequel is visually utterly sterile and bland, its writing is horrid and you've no illusions as to it, there is no mystery or promise that you might feel early on in TEW1. It tries to be a homage to SH1 with the setting and the protagonist's motivation but evoking that comparison only hurts it.
It plays more smoothly.

Perkel

Arcane
I didn't like TEW because it tried to take itself seriously which can't work with its theme.

RE works because it is cheesy from start and doesn't take itself seriously.

SH works because devs put work from start to be serious and they created game with it in mind.

TEW is like watching cheesy slasher movie where developers expect you to give crap about story and characters.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I enjoyed the game for what it was. Sure, the 'sneak and backstab everything and save ammo for later' isn't a playstyle for everyone, and tbh, I agree that it was kind of cheezy. But I actually liked it because of this. I don't care for stealth in games in general, so if it were just a little bit more realistic, I would have probably not enjoyed the game all that much, eheh. Bonus points for the neat upgrading system, which brought some RPG elements into this survival horror, and for the hillarious pun from the main protagonist after he (I) finished the shooting gallery.

I found the story not reaching any special highs, but it had bright moments, and it was at least original. I didn't care much for the main protagonist or Myra; they seemed a little too much one-dimensional, but I found some other characters likable. The badass chick Kidman was really alright, the IT-dude-with-some-spine Sykes was a cool, friendly face to return to from all that chaos and weirdos outside, and the sleazy, 'realistic' philosophy of the weasel O'Neal was fun to listen to, right until the end, when he sort of got what he deserved. The penultimate 'romantic' cutscene seemed unnecessarily overdone and strangely shallow to me, but otherwise the writing throughout the game was not overdone, was good or funny enough, and it made sense.

I will take the liberty to criticize most of the posts about writing in this thread. They seem to be the standard, stereotypical complaints from someone who expects HUGO writing in any gig, and anything even half-step below that is immediately total, utter trash for them.

For the sale's price of 4 EUR and some 40 odd hours of gameplay, it was a steal.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom