Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Expanded CRPG Book is out!

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How many print versions are there and will there be more? Will it be localised to minor European languages (including mine) so that my kids can read it?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
How many print versions are there and will there be more? Will it be localised to minor European languages (including mine) so that my kids can read it?
There's only two print versions - the original release in 2019 and the Expanded Edition, that's been on sale since last year. I have no plans of making a new version, seems honestly impossible to add the past 5 years of RPGs without adding like 100 more pages.

As for other languages, this has been a struggle... the book is just too big, the Chinese translation is two years late on their publishing plan. Several European publishers approached me, but so far there's nothing concrete that I can announce.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's only two print versions - the original release in 2019 and the Expanded Edition, that's been on sale since last year. I have no plans of making a new version, seems honestly impossible to add the past 5 years of RPGs without adding like 100 more pages.

As for other languages, this has been a struggle... the book is just too big, the Chinese translation is two years late on their publishing plan. Several European publishers approached me, but so far there's nothing concrete that I can announce.
Where can we get the Expanded Edition in print? I only see the original version in print. Even following the link on the website, it just takes me to Bitmap Books and they say it's not released yet ("Available from: 11 Nov 2024").

I have the original version but would like to pick up the expanded one. I noticed it had at least one of my favourite games included that the original left out: Crescent Hawk's Inception.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Expanded version has been published in print already. Many people, including me, have it on their shelf next to the original.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
It says coming soon though, felipepepe are there reprints planned?

Not asking for myself because I have the original version's collectors edition and the extended version on my shelf already :troll:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Expanded version has been published in print already. Many people, including me, have it on their shelf next to the original.
Yeah and where can we get it, or are you suggesting I break into your house and take it from your shelf?
Ok, I read "When can we get", not "where can we get", so my bad.

But as per your question, if you manage to find my house and break in, you're free to help yourself to my copy, and I'll even make you some coffee to go to keep your warm on your way home from grade B Hyperborea where I reside.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Instead of continually adding onto this book have you thought of a something like "Volume II" (separate book with games still not in vol. I)) or "cRPG Book: The Modern Era" (limited to said 5-10 years past)?

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane

Instead of continually adding onto this book have you thought of a something like "Volume II" (separate book with games still not in vol. I)) or "cRPG Book: The Modern Era" (limited to said 5-10 years past)?
Pussy. Just keep adding pages as the printings continue until it looks like this:

main-qimg-798d5d0f48afecc51dd569e953becd2e

CRPGs are often massive, unwieldy and hard to navigate, so why should the definitive book on them not be?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's hard to cover recent history without distance and hindsight. Putting out reviews for recent games just makes it a review book, which is not the goal. For example, A LOT of people asked me to do 2020 to also add Cyberpunk, but all CP2077 reviews from before Phantom Liberty are mostly useless now.

Also, IMHO the core defining feature of the past 5 years has been an explosion in game releases & a fragmentation of the audiences. Sure, Baldur's Gate III is a no-brainer, but there's like 30 other RPGs in 2023 alone that are extremely important to some people & niches and worthless to others. No one outside the Codex cared for Caves of Lore or Colony Ship, but no one here cared for Octopath Traveller 2, Diablo 4, Hogwarts Legacy, World of Horror, Sea of Stars, Lies of P, Starfield, Fate/Samurai Remnant, Wartales, Tale of Immortal, etc...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom