Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Expanded CRPG Book is out!

LukePCS

Literate
Ouch, shipping cost is basically the price of the book... If there's anyone else from Brazil planning on buying it, hit me up. Might as well split the shipping fee.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://crpgbook.wordpress.com/2023/08/15/update-30-the-expanded-hardcover-print-is-out/

Update 30 – The expanded hardcover print is out!​

bitmap_books_crpg-book_site.jpg

You can now order the Expanded Edition of the CRPG Book over at Bitmap Books!

This Expanded Edition brings 156 pages extra pages, 65 new game reviews, several new articles, a lot of revised content and a glorious cover art gallery! And it goes beyond the usual CRPG canon, exploring more French, Korean & Chinese-only, RPG Maker, Flash and online RPGs!

Thanks to Bitmap Books, this release was fully proofread by a professional, as typos were one of the biggest issues in the 1st edition.

Of course, the CRPG Book is a non-profit project, so once again 100% of the author’s revenue will be donated to Vocação, a Brazilian NGO that helps kids and teenagers from poor areas to get a better education and find employment. The 1st edition raised £22,845, hopefully this one does even better!

FYI, the proofread text is not on the free PDF yet, I’ll update it soon, together with fixing an issue with high-contrast mode colors and hopefully doing an EPUB version. I will post here once the PDF is updated.

Until then, thanks again to everyone who supported the project!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Here we go, the hardcover edition is on sale! https://www.bitmapbooks.com/products/the-crpg-book-a-guide-to-computer-role-playing-games

Feels like a good release window, the internet is taken by talk about RPGs because of Baldur's Gate, hopefully it will get more people interested :)

This isn't a limited run or something right? Would rather wait until end of the month.
They aren't limited but once a print run is sold out it can take 2 months or so to get a new print run. So far they brought all of their books back into print, so I wouldn't feel FOMO if the book is out of print again at the end of the month. And it probably won't happen anyway

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Here we go, the hardcover edition is on sale! https://www.bitmapbooks.com/products/the-crpg-book-a-guide-to-computer-role-playing-games

Feels like a good release window, the internet is taken by talk about RPGs because of Baldur's Gate, hopefully it will get more people interested :)

This isn't a limited run or something right? Would rather wait until end of the month.
They aren't limited but once a print run is sold out it can take 2 months or so to get a new print run. So far they brought all of their books back into print, so I wouldn't feel FOMO if the book is out of print again at the end of the month. And it probably won't happen anyway
The first print was actually a limited print (plus one reprint IIRC), that's why the book was unavailable for over a year. We were doing per-print contract, now we changed for time period, so should be fine for a few years :)

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I bought 2 copies as one is for myself, obviously, but this will also make a wonderful gift. I have a friend who has similar tastes in RPGs and still works in gaming industry, so this seems to be a perfect and unique gift.

I bought it already because I thought this will be a limited print as the previous edition, but I'm glad to hear you have a better contract now so more people will be able to get it this time. I'm curious about sales, please share in a few weeks how many copies have been sold.

lightbane

Arcane
Does this new release contain new material compared to the update it had a few months ago?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm curious about sales, please share in a few weeks how many copies have been sold.
IIRC the first version sold about 2,000-2,500 units over 3 years, which talking to other authors I heard is really good for this kind of product. Digital video game books sell a lot thanks to lower prices and bundles, but these sort of niche physical releases usually stay around 1,000 units.

Kinda sad, no? Feels like when we spend years hyping Knights of Chalice 2, and then it comes out and gets like 73 reviews on Steam. We're really a tiny, tiny niche.

Does this new release contain new material compared to the update it had a few months ago?
Not really, the main difference is that it was actually proofread by a professional. She double-checked to make sure everyone is credited properly, asked me to write a more complex glossary and just made it sound way more professional overall. I'm bringing this updated text to the PDF soon, but Bitmap Books updated the entire file for printing, removing hyperlinks and changing images to CMYK and all that, so I have to re-do all that again... will take a while :P

lightbane

Arcane
I think it was said already but just to be sure: is there new content with this new physical release, or is it the same as the updated pdf? Congratulations either way.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it was said already but just to be sure: is there new content with this new physical release, or is it the same as the updated pdf? Congratulations either way.
Same as the pdf with new stuff.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Same content, but now proofread by a professional. I'm working on adding the proofread text back into the free PDF.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
I was not aware of this epic project until now. Let me just say congratulations and thank you, all of you beautiful madlads who are involved in this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom