Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Eye of the Beholder Thread

Saxon1974

Prophet
Zomg said:
I replayed them 3-4 years ago and I just brain-mapped them. Some of the featureless levels might give you some problems but for the most part EoB 1+2 don't have mindless mazes that you can't possibly keep a sense of direction in.

If you transfer characters from 1->2 I suggest dropping all of the ridiculous loot from EoB1 at the first opportunity. You'll have stupid shit like a +5 sword and a girdle of giant strength IIRC that break EoB2 completely.

Don't play EoB3, it's shit.

That's how I played them when I was in high school back when they come out, I only recall a few levels where it was a bit of a maze, maybe I will just use the clue book in those levels.

Cool game on the amiga, the sound is great at creating atmosphere. I just wish the combat was turnbased.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I tried to map EoB1 completely when playing the first time, but I got tired of doing so about, I think, 5 levels in. I just brain-mapped the game, save for some puzzle which required switching between levels 6, 7 and 8, iirc, regarding which I consulted a map found on the net. The later levels are quite easy to brain-map, iirc.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I really want to play the Amiga version of this game however the movement keys dont all work.

The numeric keypad is supposed to be able to be used to move forwards and backwards using the 8 and the 2 keys, however they don't work.

The only movement keys that work at the 7 and 9 will turn you right and left.

I have tried a couple of different versions of the game and no luck.

Any ideas?

Ok I figured it out, using lemonaide I changed the keyboard layout to = B instead of A and that fixed it.

Sodomy

Scholar
Elwro said:
I tried to map EoB1 completely when playing the first time, but I got tired of doing so about, I think, 5 levels in. I just brain-mapped the game, save for some puzzle which required switching between levels 6, 7 and 8, iirc, regarding which I consulted a map found on the net. The later levels are quite easy to brain-map, iirc.

The spiderweb maze on level 4 and the billions of switch-driven teleporters on the last level are far worse than the big 7, 8, and 9 clusterfuck, IMO.

Also, it's been years, but I'm pretty sure that Nightstalker is a +5.

EDIT- After looking it up, the +5 is Severious.

bezimek

Scholar
EDIT- After looking it up, the +5 is Severious.

Yes, death Paladin one-handed long sword as I remember righ. And it is interesting that in EoB II there is only one + 4 weapon ( Talon).

Relien

Scholar
I barely touched EOB2 back then so I've decided to play the series properly this time.

One question - is it possible to somehow determine item properties? Armor can be "identified" by watching you AC but what about weapons, amulets, rings and such? I assume blunt weapons are more effective against skeletons so I'm carrying a mace or two just in case, but that's not enough information when you have 50 different items and you have to decide what to leave behind.

Sodomy

Scholar
I can't speak for EOTB 2, but in EOTB 1, there's something called the Oracle of Knowledge on level 4 which, when you place an orb of power in it, will identify all of the party's items.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Relien said:
I barely touched EOB2 back then so I've decided to play the series properly this time.

One question - is it possible to somehow determine item properties? Armor can be "identified" by watching you AC but what about weapons, amulets, rings and such? I assume blunt weapons are more effective against skeletons so I'm carrying a mace or two just in case, but that's not enough information when you have 50 different items and you have to decide what to leave behind.

The mage spell detect magic will identify an item, but it depends on a succesfull roll and the level or your mage vs the item.

Sodomy

Scholar
Really? All I remember it ever doing is telling me that an item WAS magical, but not what it did. Was that just failing rolls, or lack of levels?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Sodomy said:
Really? All I remember it ever doing is telling me that an item WAS magical, but not what it did. Was that just failing rolls, or lack of levels?

My bad, your correct. The spell will identify items as magical or non magical.

Relien

Scholar
Ok, thanks. I've already stumbled upon the Oracle, but without the Orb. I guess I'm going to have some Kenku egg snack and find the bloody thing.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Yea I havent found the orb yet either. I just lookup the item in the clue book to identify it, it seems wrong to not give you another way to identify items.

Sodomy

Scholar
IIRC, the first orb of power is on floor 11, and there are several of them on floor 12.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Ok, I finished playing EOB I today finally :D

The ending on the amiga version is ok, nothing special as I was hoping for a bit more. I won't mention what it is for those still playing.

Very cool game, I had alot of fun playing it.

Now Im off to play EOB II which many say is the best of the 3 games.

Does anyone know how to transfer characters from EOB I into EOBII on the amiga version? When I try it the game says it can't find the save game disk and please insert the EOB.SAV file or copy it into the EOBII directory.

The amiga versions dont have an EOB.SAV file so not sure what to do here. I tried copyingy the EOBI files into the EOBII directory but that didnt work either.

Sodomy

Scholar
I know that in the SNES version (which I'm pretty sure is completely identical to the PC version- the dungeon and gameplay are definitely identical), whether you use the wand/spike trap or just kill him "normally", you get the same ending, except you get to see a nice, gory clip of Xanathar getting impaled and sealed behind glass if you do him the wand/spike way.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Elwro said:
Saxon1974 said:
The ending on the amiga version is ok, nothing special as I was hoping for a bit more. I won't mention what it is for those still playing.
Did you use the method described here: http://www.mennekecheats.nl/walkthrough ... holder.htm ? I've heard it yields a different ending compared to the one you get after fighting the boss "normally".

Yes I did. What's the full ending supposed to be?

SPOILER BELOW

Just had a table with the lords of waterdeep thanking me after handing over the piece of the beholder and then it said something like a legend if born or something....and then nothing else.

Binary

Liturgist
Saxon1974 said:
Now Im off to play EOB II which many say is the best of the 3 games.

Many also say Oblivion is the best RPG ever.

On the other hand, I tell you EoB2 is the worst of the series :)

Elwro

Arcane
Saxon1974 said:
Yes I did. What's the full ending supposed to be?
SPOILER BELOW

I finished the game more than 10 years ago, I think, but I'm sure that I killed Xanathar in a 'regular' fight. It was very hard iirc. And when I killed him... a text box appeared with a really disappointing message. So if you got a "table with the lords of waterdeep" picture, I think it's you who got the full ending :D

And, while I liked EoB 1 best but still had fun with EoB 2, I'm 100% sure EoB3 was the worst part. Uninteresting dungeons full of quickly respawning enemies. *YAWN*.

Binary

Liturgist
Elwro said:
SPOILER BELOW

I finished the game more than 10 years ago, I think, but I'm sure that I killed Xanathar in a 'regular' fight. It was very hard iirc. And when I killed him... a text box appeared with a really disappointing message. So if you got a "table with the lords of waterdeep" picture, I think it's you who got the full ending :D

I think that depends on the platform, did you also finish it on the Amiga? I remember reading that on a given platform, they didn't have space to include the ending so all you got was the message

Elwro said:
And, while I liked EoB 1 best but still had fun with EoB 2, I'm 100% sure EoB3 was the worst part. Uninteresting dungeons full of quickly respawning enemies. *YAWN*.

EoB2 had deathtraps (places that if you go to, you can never finish the game again) - that's a no-no on any RPG.

EoB3 was pretty meh, but at least it had sidequests (one 4-level dungeon at least), marginally more interesting NPCs, and Spiritual Hammer spell for humor value! :D

Elwro

Arcane
Binary said:
I think that depends on the platform, did you also finish it on the Amiga? I remember reading that on a given platform, they didn't have space to include the ending so all you got was the message.
Yeah, could be. I finished it on the PC.
EoB2 had deathtraps (places that if you go to, you can never finish the game again) - that's a no-no on any RPG.
Whoa! I never heard of this. And I never finished the game, always getting stuck after a few days with seemingly nowhere to go. That was before there was the internet to consult, though, so maybe I just failed at noticing something.
EoB3 was pretty meh, but at least it had sidequests (one 4-level dungeon at least), marginally more interesting NPCs, and Spiritual Hammer spell for humor value! :D
Well, my biggest complaint is that it was horribly boring :D The design was uninspired (respawning!) and the dungeons were forgettable. Still, there's some fun to be had with the game, too.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Good lord, didn't know about death traps where you cant finish the game. Any advice on how to avoid those? Im surprised anyone would make a design decision like that in a game.

Relien

Scholar
Saxon1974 said:
Good lord, didn't know about death traps where you cant finish the game. Any advice on how to avoid those? Im surprised anyone would make a design decision like that in a game.

I haven't finished EOB2 yet, but I'm roughly in a 12th level in the game (not counting the mini-levels/double-stairs) and I don't think this is a big issue. There was one such trap, but I was clearly warned beforehand.

Then there's certain situation where you have to choose 1 of 4 rooms and one of them traps you. No way to know in advance, but the room isn't bigger than 2x2 and there's a sign that tells you pretty clearly that it would be a good idea to reload.

Maybe it's also possible to fall through some pit into a (very) small room with no way out, I can't remember, but it's not like you suddenly find yourself in a dead end after an hour of dungeoning.

Unless, of course, you drop some critical item in a place which you can't return to. It shouldn't happen that you miss the item entirely, just don't drop anything "suspicious" randomly, have a stash of all the items you ever found somewhere and you'll be ok.

Also, the game can't be finished without a spellcaster. This is something that should be clearly stated before you roll your party but I didn't know about it. Luckily my party is rather conventional so I didn't have problems with that.

I'm much more annoyed by the ridiculous amount of respawning in certain places - something I don't remember from EOB1, at least not of this magnitude. If EOB3 is even worse in this regard then I'm not sure it's worth it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom