Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Fallout Game Informer article

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Like I said somewhere before, V.A.T.S is a pun of the process of creating this combat system. They basically chucked real-time and turn-based into an FEV vat hoping to get a Master, but instead they were left with a Harry.

sheek

Arbiter
You know what Tales, calling other people stupid 20x a day will not make you any smarter.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lol, wttiest comment evah.
You still haven't got over it? So much for not taking this seriously.
Is taking everything seriously and personly and your newly found obsession with me also part of your 'role' ? Or are you half-drunk maybe?

Oh, I'm in your sig. Awesomess
fight.gif

sheek

Arbiter
LOL. Tell me what role would you like me to play? I think you like the attention. :)

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, as I said, Im in ur sig, pure awesomeness :)

I think the dumbfuck role suits you very well, thanks for asking
fight.gif

Joe Krow

Erudite
Why don't you two kiss and make up? You would both look so sexy in your Vault 13 stretchy pants. True to the source material and sexy? Double play.

Ratty

Scholar
Joe Krow said:
Your right, my comments about choice and consequence don't address these graphic "aborations." I mention the positives because you are too much of a chicken little to do it yourself. You beat up on Bethesda in the past for focusing on the graphics. Now that's all you want to do. The gameplay is 100% improved so you choose to ignore it. They have addressed every point that was raised about Oblivion but all you want to do is bitch.
You do realize that Bethesda are almost certainly lying about FO3 having choices and consequences? They promised the same for Morrowind, and even created the Fargoth quest to demonstrate, yet the final game contained nothing of such... except in the Fargoth quest. This time around, they didn't even bother to cite examples from the game, let alone show all that awesome roleplaying depth in action. Frankly, I'd say they are full of shit... again... especially when you consider that the game will rely heavily on scripted events and narration. I don't know what you <s>naive suckers</s> "optimists" make of that, but for me that spells total linearity.

John Yossarian

Magister
I haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned how ironic it is that people complain the Codex doesn't believe all the crap they say before release, but when VD's Oblivion review was posted on several sites a lot of them said we were just naive suckers who shouldn't have believed all the hype? Lovely place, the internets.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Leonard Boyarsky said:
On the subject of Fallout 3, how do you feel about Bethesda getting the license?

To be perfectly honest, I was extremely disappointed that we did not get the chance to make the next Fallout game. This has nothing to do with Bethesda, it's just that we've always felt that Fallout was ours and it was just a technicality that Interplay happened to own it. It sort of felt as if our child had been sold to the highest bidder, and we had to just sit by and watch.
never forget

Saxon1974

Prophet
Anyone know what stores sell game informer mag? I looked at a couple of places, barnes and noble etc...and didnt see it anywhere. Is it only sold at gamestops?

I dont buy many pc game mags anymore because they dont cover the kind of games im interested in, but im curious enough to buy this one if I could find it. I guess you have to be an XBOX kiddo to get the mag at the gamestop eh?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
In a stunning conclusion to the Game Informer article drama, Bethesda and Game Informer forced NMA to remove the scans under legal threats.

The "We Love Bethesda Day!" has been canceled.

Amasius

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
In a stunning conclusion to the Game Informer article drama, Bethesda and Game Informer forced NMA to remove the scans under legal threats.

The "We Love Bethesda Day!" has been canceled.
OH NOES!

But hey - that doesn't surprise anyone, right?

Top Hat

Scholar
I just searched for "No Mutants Allowed".

The first thing that popped up was "No Men Allowed".

He he he.

Joe Krow

Erudite
On the one hand they had some free publicity on the other you set a bad precedent. They chose control (particularly when dealing with a site that might soon be hostile). No suprise really.

Fez

Erudite
Ah, so it was the legal threat they tried with the scans. Pretty shitty.

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
RGE said:
...which was the prediction that combat will become "V.A.T.S., retreat, V.A.T.S., retreat, etc.". I guess that the only way to stifle that would be to slow down AP-regeneration not only for attacking, but also for moving. And perhaps the opposition will also get their own V.A.T.S-equivalence whenever the player uses it?

Here I go with another best case scenario: :D
V.A.T.S is probably Beth's attempt to please everybody at the same time. If we are lucky, they succeed, and the gameplay will be like this: You activate V.A.T.S (pause the game, more or less) and are able to use your action points. When your points are all spent, you do nothing while you wait for them to recharge. The recharge time should equal your enemy's turn, and you activate V.A.T.S again when your points have fully recharged. Ideally there should be an option to automatically activate V.A.T.S each time your action points are fully recharged during combat - for true turn based play (well, almost). In this best case scenario, your action points should not recharge at all as long as you act (move, shoot or whatever) for true real time combat.

In theory something like V.A.T.S could provide turn based combat, real time combat and anything in between. :shock:
Then, in theory the game could provide interesting quests with choices and consequenses too...

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Except VATS is only for a called shot. So it's less than FO's turn based mode, because you could choose to do a regular shot, or burst mode, or whatever else you wanted to do. In Bethsoft's system, that sort of thing has to be done in real time, if I understand it correctly. And some weapons you couldn't use to do a called shot anyway.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Mr. Teatime said:
Except VATS is only for a called shot. So it's less than FO's turn based mode, because you could choose to do a regular shot, or burst mode, or whatever else you wanted to do. In Bethsoft's system, that sort of thing has to be done in real time, if I understand it correctly. And some weapons you couldn't use to do a called shot anyway.
Thats what it seems like, an aimed shot mode. However, I assume that accessing the inventory and switching weapons will also cost AP.

Globbi

Augur
baby arm said:
They're still around in a few places.

Yeah, but most people complaining about what the article contains read it thanks to NMA. They seem to don't care about minor sites where all the readers are enthusiastic about F3 even more after the article.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom