Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Fallout Game Informer article

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The Revolution Will Not Be On Youtube :honourblade:

aries202

Erudite
So far, there's only one reasonable explanation why this game has to be called Fallout 3:

Bethesda is hoping to make a shitload of money from this move. They are hoping that all the ol'time fanbase gamers will love the game and tell all their friends about this new, improved Fallout game, so that all their friends will buy Fallout 3.

Butthey have footed the bill without the host (he, I don't know the saying in English, but it is a Danish saying,meaning something alike the lines of Bethsoft didn't consider all things properly or something like that) as they seemed to have made a game that doesn't meet the approval of NMA and D&C much. Bethsoft can hope that they will earn 10 fans for the 1 NMA and D&C fan they loose.

Somehow, I doubt it...

Koby

Scholar
'Game Informer Fallout 3 article scans' thread @ NMA said:
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 Next
WTF!? The last time I was there it had only 5 pages. Talk about 2nd wave affect.

Micmu

Magister
What saddens me the most, they'll have much better and more aggressive marketing so it is more likely that this piece of shit "fallout" will be actually a success.
And what is more, it will continue it's undead life as an entirely different series. (see GTA for example)
Gosh I want those bastards to crash and burn. :(

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
thesheeep said:
Ehrm... just being based on something doesn't make a good game. Atmosphere sucked in that game, for example...
It's pretty obvious he was being facetious. If you don't want to be called an idiot - not to mention disgracing your race - you ought to increase your mental efforts.

Or stop posting. Either suits me.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Well, I finally got to read this thing. It's hard to get on the internet at SOI. I still haven't seen the trailer. These computers are lame.

Anyway, I enjoyed the article at least. The game will probably not be anything like the original Fallout, but I expected that.

I'll probably check it out when it's released. Maybe not.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
The article is a mixed bag but I admit I have read it in a hurry. On one hand, this might interest me as a post-apoc title. As a Fallout game, however, it still has a way to go.

I think the biggest problem for me is how it seems more like a project than a game. An example of this is the scenario where the Brotherhood of Steel saves the PC from a group of mutants. It's not a problem with the Brotherhood of Steel actively fighting mutants or a problem with there still being mutants - it's actually a problem with a lack of internal coherence. The Brotherhood soldier chides the player for being stupid and placing himself in harm's way but then asks him if he wants to come along to kick more mutant tail - thus putting himself in harm's way! No sense at all.

It's like having all these ideas and pushing them into the game because they sound cool, but then failing to register their logic (i.e., the Fatman and the quest to remove a blight on a town's landscape by nuking it out of orbit). Nay, oh clueless reporter, Bethesda doesn't get it quite yet. Whether any of this can be attributed to its stage of development or Bethesda's design goals (here I'm assuming there's some actual design rather than a shopping list where all the bullet points just read "cool") remains to be seen.

All the 'good stuff', like multiple quest branching, a small level cap, no level scaling and a bigger importance given to radiation are good... In theory. I'm interested to see the end result nonetheless but putting any faith into their words after Oblivion is a fool's errand. In all honesty, it's not a different vision of Fallout that worries me - it's the possible lack of vision. If VATS is anything to go by then I'm unfortunately gonna have to believe the latter possibility.

Ratty

Scholar
sheek said:
Except GURPS suckeths.

I'm all for idol/fetishizing a PnP game system in a CRPG if it's a good one but when it's Fallout and you do that you just come off as another rabid (clueless) NMA fan-bitch.

For me at least Fallout is not about it's pseudo-GURPS adaptation. If you bitches are obsessed with religiously adhering to the ruleset it's your right but please don't pretend you're the only true Fallout fans on the planet.
Fallout doesn't use GURPS.

And what kind of retarded logic is that, anyway? GURPS sucks (by what standards?), so one shouldn't complain when it gets skullfucked into a shitty sandbox shooter? When you say things like that you just come off as another certified Dumbfuck. Which you are.

thesheeep said:
However, you simply can't compare Tetris to Fallout Wink
Tetris was based on it's game mechanics and nothing more (except for that funny little rocket that started when you had enough points... loved it).
They are casual games, which usually rely on those mechanics ONLY.

Don't ever compare budget/casual games to "big ones"....

You can't just say: "A game is a game is a game" Politicians use that argument in order to stop "Killerspiele", as they call almost every shooter here in Germany...

Fallout was based on it's world, it's setting and it's atmosphere. The perspective AND the TB-system did nothing more but contribute to the atmosphere. At least, the perspective did, combat systems dont contribute THAT much to atmosphere.

And no matter how often you show me quotes of the Devs to show that they tried to deliver P&P experience to the PC... Maybe that was their intention, but they did so much more that the part, where TB is important for the whole f*cking game, became unimportant.
It's just one little piece of the whole.
OK, then what about Heroes of Might&Magic? It's a mainstream game, with a derivative setting and rudimentary story. HOMM is all about excellent, addictive gameplay. How would you like if someone made a real-time HOMM?

Or, let's try a different approach. Chronomaster is a high-budget adventure game that was lauded for its setting and plot (written by Roger Zelazny), but criticized for poorly designed interface and puzzles. The game's poor design discouraged many people from enjoying its captivating story. Over the course of gaming history, there were many games which boasted good or even excellent story and setting, but had lackluster gameplay, more often than not because their designers did a subpar job. They are testaments to vital importance of sound game design in crafting a game, regardless on how atmosphere- and story-heavy it is. If you don't understand how this relates to our FO3 issue, try to imagine what the original Fallout would play like if it retained the same post-nuclear goodness, but game mechanics were replaced with those of Daikatana or Superman 64. Would you still enjoy the game? Would you be interested in playing it at all?

Fallout was not based on its setting and atmosphere. You just have an impression that your personal experience of Fallout was based on those things. That impression is most likely a wrong one, because you haven't really evaluated the role of game design. In a way, design is an instrument which relays your experience of the setting and story to you. Change the instrument, and the experience will be altered too. Think about that.

If it is missing in F3, it won't be a 100% true sequel. But you can't blame Beth for buying a licence and then not using it for nothing else than copying every damn aspect of the previous games
Straw man argument. An overused one, too.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ratty said:
If you don't understand how this relates to our FO3 issue, try to imagine what the original Fallout would play like if it retained the same post-nuclear goodness, but game mechanics were replaced with those of Daikatana or Superman 64. Would you still enjoy the game? Would you be interested in playing it at all?

Yes.

Although it wouldn't be a RPG anymore... AFAIK Superman 64 and Daikatana were no RPGs... But still, those game would be enjoyable (if those two games you mentioned were enjoyable... I must admit I never played them)... if setting and atmosphere fits.

Kotario

Liturgist
Because I like nice, simple visual guides, I put togethor a comparison collage of Super Mutants.

supmutcomparisongx0.jpg

Punck_D

Novice
Picture is nice, it makes clear the generic style of the monster design in FO3.

thesheeep said:
Yes.

Although it wouldn't be a RPG anymore... AFAIK Superman 64 and Daikatana were no RPGs...

That's the fucking point. Do you still not realize that coherence in gameplay defines a series?

But still, those game would be enjoyable (if those two games you mentioned were enjoyable... I must admit I never played them)... if setting and atmosphere fits.

But would it still be enjoyable as a Fallout-Game as Tactics and PoS were? Or X-Com: Enforcer? Don't you think gameplay mechanics also provide a bit, well, atmosphere?

Section8

Cipher
Not blacklisted, just removed from the fansite sticky for now, for at least as long as we have the scans on the frontpage.

...and would anyone be overly surprised if they just somehow "forgot" to reinstate NMA once the scans fall off the front page? Not saying they will, because maybe they've learned their lesson from previous PR suicide attempts, but hey.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Since we are posting pictures here, I have some new exclusive screens that I'd like to share with you guys.

Here is your character fighting against a bunch of raiders. Lucky for him, he's just found a nuclear shotgun. Time to explode some heads!

fallout3demo1zh9.jpg

Oh oh! Looks like you ran into a super mutant. This is definitely a Fallout game, folks. I can even see everyone's favorite mascot, the Fall Out boy!

fallout3demo2zl8.jpg

Joe Krow

Erudite
What is the problem? It may be a good game, it may suck. I think the verdict is still out. Is there an actual argument as to why it will suck? So far it seems better then I would have expected. Quit bitching, bitches.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
A game which is based on the atmosphere and setting of a franchise but heavily changes the gameplay formula or even switches genres is typically classified as a spin-off.
Thats why FOBOS aswell as Tactics were spin-offs and not sequels.

A true sequel of course should continue the basic genre and gameplay mechanics of its procedors.

Joe Krow said:
What is the problem? It may be a good game, it may suck. I think the verdict is still out. Is there an actual argument as to why it will suck? So far it seems better then I would have expected. Quit bitching, bitches.

Look at the article, read the thread and stop posting moronic bullshit dumbfuck.

Vault Dweller said:
Oh oh! Looks like you ran into a super mutant. This is definitely a Fallout game, folks. I can even see everyone's favorite mascot, the Fall Out boy!

Fallout Boy is the new black
fight.gif

Joe Krow said:
I read the article. I read your whining. That's why I asked.

Ehm, then you should have gotten the arguments. Two of them:
1. Complete lack of Fallouts unique visual style, instead we get generic Resident Evil survival horror setting
2. The combat system seems extremly shitty from its early description, even for Beth standarts.

Of course the game may suck or not. Just like Oblivion could have sucked or not. Guess what? I did.

Joe Krow

Erudite
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Joe Krow said:
I read the article. I read your whining. That's why I asked.

Ehm, then you should have gotten the arguments. Two of them:
1. Complete lack of Fallouts unique visual style, instead we get generic Resident Evil survival horror setting
2. The combat system seems extremly shitty from its early description, even for Beth standarts.

Of course the game may suck or not. Just like Oblivion could have sucked or not. Guess what? I did.

Oh. I see. 1. "Complete lack"... it's not isometric and things look a little different in first person. Meh. The rest of it seems pretty true to the source, no? 2. VATS. They are being vague about the degree to which it will be turn based. We just don't know about this one. If I can get through the game in turnbased i'll be happy. Now contrast this with the good news; no scaling, choice and consequence, multiple endings. Did you expect these things? I didn't.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Joe Krow said:
The rest of it seems pretty true to the source, no?
Well, since you ask... no.

Seriously, I'd even expect the average dumbfuck to be smarter than that. There is virtually no similarity. If there weren't "Super Mutant" written in red under that creature, I wouldn't have guessed it's supposed to be Fallout. Scratch that. Even with the label, if I didn't know better, I'd assume it were a mere coincidence that there's an FPS with an enemy called "Super Mutant" in it.
There are a few token references, some Vault-tec ads and such, but otherwise it looks no more like Fallout than STALKER does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom