Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Fallout Game Informer article

Black

Arcane
Ratty said:
thesheeep said:
2. TB+Iso are NOT essential for Fallout...
Yeah, it's not like Fallout was designed to, y'know, emulate P&P roleplaying, or anything. Idiot.

You wouldn't believe how many 'people' are using that kind of argument on beth forum...
And everytime someone explains why TB and Iso is important to Fallout, another brat shows up and says that FO is only about world, 50s culture, humour etc...
God damn it

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ratty said:
Why would anyone detonate an undetonated nuke?
It's more feasible than detonating a detonated nuke. :wink:

thesheeep said:
That "Idiot." really hurt :(
I assume you'd prefer being called a sheep, which is equally true.

In addition, most people simply say it sucks because it isn't exactly like F1 and F2. That's not a valid argument at all...
Yes it is. Fallout was a great game. The general opinion about Fallout 2 is a little more ambivalent, but it certainly has its good parts, especially where it emulates or builds upon Fallout's qualities. It's greatest strengths lie in how it isn't different from Fallout.

Fallout is a winning formula. Changing it "because we can" is moronic, although a few things could be changed for very good reasons. Yes, I mostly want more of the same. In my opinion Fallout is one of the best RPGs of all time, I don't see anything wrong in wishing for that again. Okay, it implies I want FO3 to be a better RPG than any other game released in the last ten years. I guess you can blame me for asking too much.

Not that your argument was anything but a straw man. Quake 3 and UT are far more similar than Fallout and Bethout apparently going to be and yet they aren't the same. It's just you equating any opposition to drastic changes as wanting "exactly the same" for which you deserve to be slapped like a red-headed stepchild.

Fez

Erudite
I'm sorry but that's a load of crap. The links that are being censored in no way break the rules of these forums, they only carry negative things about your employer's products. Don't piss in my face and try to tell me it's raining, mkay?

:lol:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Fez said:
I'm sorry but that's a load of crap. The links that are being censored in no way break the rules of these forums, they only carry negative things about your employer's products. Don't piss in my face and try to tell me it's raining, mkay?

Double LOL

Stealth-linking!

Triple LOL

Those Bethesda forum posters have become quite creative from years of censorship.

Fez

Erudite
It's like watching a resistance movement under an oppressive regime survive with pure determination and ingenuity or perhaps evolution happen under heavy selection pressure.

NMA were blacklisted on there too? I don't see them listed in the fansites section any more and I'd expect NMA and DaC to be the first two. Lame.

Kotario

Liturgist
Not blacklisted, just removed from the fansite sticky for now, for at least as long as we have the scans on the frontpage.

Fez

Erudite
It's a pathetic level of censorship I've never seen anywhere else. Obviously if you don't always march to their beat the overzealous Bethstapo fall over themselves to silence you. Be careful you don't upset them too much or you'll be another unperson.

sheek

Arbiter
Black said:
Ratty said:
thesheeep said:
2. TB+Iso are NOT essential for Fallout...
Yeah, it's not like Fallout was designed to, y'know, emulate P&P roleplaying, or anything. Idiot.

You wouldn't believe how many 'people' are using that kind of argument on beth forum...
And everytime someone explains why TB and Iso is important to Fallout, another brat shows up and says that FO is only about world, 50s culture, humour etc...
God damn it

Except GURPS suckeths.

I'm all for idol/fetishizing a PnP game system in a CRPG if it's a good one but when it's Fallout and you do that you just come off as another rabid (clueless) NMA fan-bitch.

For me at least Fallout is not about it's pseudo-GURPS adaptation. If you bitches are obsessed with religiously adhering to the ruleset it's your right but please don't pretend you're the only true Fallout fans on the planet.

obediah

Erudite
I really want to make fun of the new info, but after 7 pages of people cherry picking the parts that bothered them most to offer as proof that FO3 will be even worse than our wettest dreams, that particular high horse is so covered in spooj I ain't getting near it.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

i couldnt help myself but thinking "Hellgate:London" while reading and seeing the pics on this article.

Excrément

Arbiter
Hellraiser said:
There's a bunch of pretty retarded ideas present FO3 like the nuclear catapult and SUPERMUTANTS EVERYWHEREZ !!!!111!11!1 oh and the BoS being comon on the east coast. Oh and the meh combat system(still better than going full blown FPS) and the supermutants with primitive melee weapons which makes them look like orcs from generic fantasy ARPG #19374732

On the other hand there are some good ones like the pipboy having a radio receiver which will allow you to get some *rumors and *quests not to mention listen to some 50's music. You won't be able to do every quest because faction A hates faction B and joining one will piss off the other. Not to mention no level scaling and improved AI. Some decent news although we'll have to wait for the game to see if that's true and not just PR hype talk.

I have to second that.
I do admit I am fucking piss off right now when I read the scans.
VATS system looks like an abomination on paper and on this screenshot (is it possible that a combat system which look completely fuck up on paper be in fact good? is there an example n the past?), it's not real time, it's not turn based, it's not a real time with pause, it's not a turn-based either real-time with pause to switch (which I hope) it looks like a real time with pause management system....
no need to talk about the nuclear catapult or the supermutant.
The thing that I did like is the character creation tutorial, I did enjoy the first step in Oblivion, and this story ofchildhood inside the vaults sound great to me.

I would like to know more about multiple paths, dialog,branch quests and choices and consequences but fuck i do agree with VD the fact there are no one single examples is a bad omen.
so far I didn't see the quest compass, the leveling system so I remain optimistic this game may be better thanOblivion (I precise : I did like Oblivion as an elderscrolls game) but it's of course not a true fallout game but a bethesda sand box action rpg game.
so is there one reason left which explain why they bought the franchise?
My answer will be : the atmosphere. I think they still can get it right, and the non-combat screenshots, the trailer give me some hope.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ratty said:
No offense, but your opinion sucks. We are talking about games here, not books or movies. Setting and atmosphere are just one facet of a game. Design is another, and arguably far more important one. These days it's easy to overlook the importance of design, seeing as it often takes a backseat to setting and storytelling. In NWN2, for example, gameplay is little more than filler you have to get through in order to see the plot unfold in yet another dramatic exchange between main characters. However, that's a very flawed perception of what constitutes a game. Why it's flawed becomes instantly obvious when you consider games like Tetris or Lemmings that don't even have a setting, or barely have one. If Lemmings 2 had drastically changed the original's gameplay, what would be left that would make it Lemmings?

Funny ideas...
However, you simply can't compare Tetris to Fallout ;)
Tetris was based on it's game mechanics and nothing more (except for that funny little rocket that started when you had enough points... loved it).
They are casual games, which usually rely on those mechanics ONLY.

Don't ever compare budget/casual games to "big ones"....

You can't just say: "A game is a game is a game" Politicians use that argument in order to stop "Killerspiele", as they call almost every shooter here in Germany...

Fallout was based on it's world, it's setting and it's atmosphere. The perspective AND the TB-system did nothing more but contribute to the atmosphere. At least, the perspective did, combat systems dont contribute THAT much to atmosphere.

And no matter how often you show me quotes of the Devs to show that they tried to deliver P&P experience to the PC... Maybe that was their intention, but they did so much more that the part, where TB is important for the whole f*cking game, became unimportant.
It's just one little piece of the whole.

If it is missing in F3, it won't be a 100% true sequel. But you can't blame Beth for buying a licence and then not using it for nothing else than copying every damn aspect of the previous games ;)

Punck_D

Novice
thesheeep said:
Tetris was based on it's game mechanics and nothing more

That's why he came up with tis example I suppose, to put the context of gameplay mechanics in a simple overview.

Don't ever compare budget/casual games to "big ones"....

There was no such comparison.

Fallout was based on it's world, it's setting and it's atmosphere.

As was PoS in some weird ways. Great game, ain't it?

The perspective AND the TB-system did nothing more but contribute to the atmosphere. At least, the perspective did, combat systems dont contribute THAT much to atmosphere.

Games win and lose their fans primarily due to gameplay mechanics. Ask Might & Magic fans.

And no matter how often you show me quotes of the Devs to show that they tried to deliver P&P experience to the PC... Maybe that was their intention, but they did so much more that the part, where TB is important for the whole f*cking game, became unimportant.
It's just one little piece of the whole.

Look at the article. No one can tell me that these screenshots convey the feeling of the prequels in any way. But yeah, it has vault suit and stuff.

If it is missing in F3, it won't be a 100% true sequel. But you can't blame Beth for buying a licence and then not using it for nothing else than copying every damn aspect of the previous games ;)

Every fan can blame them regarding of fallout's history and their long waiting for a decent sequel when Bethesda don't even get the setting right, not to mention any gameplay mechanics.

Koby

Scholar
thesheeep said:
Fallout was based on it's world, it's setting and it's atmosphere. The perspective AND the TB-system did nothing more but contribute to the atmosphere. At least, the perspective did, combat systems dont contribute THAT much to atmosphere.
I disagree.

As I understand it (and I can be wrong here) creating and communicating an atmosphere isn’t 'contributed' by a perspective, the perspective defines the way you want to communicate it (or at the very least – helps in defining it), and I'm not saying you can't communicate the same atmosphere through different perspectives, just that conveying an atmosphere through an a bird eye view is a different approach to conveying it through FPP.

This is a design decision that (imho) the designer need to be aware of, because it does differentiate the way the designer need to go about conveying an atmosphere, and I don’t think there is someone in Bethesda that is aware of that. Whether or not this is (the iso approach) is a better fit to a CRPG, is different layer in the argument.

Punck_D

Novice
If fallout 3 manages to keep the 50s post apocalyptic holocaust style and add realistic facial expression technology to npcs such as in halflife 2, include Item collection and vital statistics with experience not to mention looking really purty. It will be a damn good FPRPG

LOlz

The whole thread is hilarious.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
stargelman said:
Alle Hesse sin Verbrescha
Denn sie glaue Aschebescha!

I have nothing to add to the topic really. It's annoying though that considering the lack of tolerance on Beth's forums people can go around spreading misinformation without repercussions. People ought to be banned for posting bullshit they could've falsified in under a minute by visiting a big, popular gaming site when I can't even call them idiots for doing so.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Punck_D said:
Fallout was based on it's world, it's setting and it's atmosphere.
As was PoS in some weird ways. Great game, ain't it?

Ehrm... just being based on something doesn't make a good game. Atmosphere sucked in that game, for example...

Games win and lose their fans primarily due to gameplay mechanics. Ask Might & Magic fans.

True, for some games, but it depends if those gameplay mechanics suck or not. I'm not sure if VATS will suck or not... a gameplay movie might convince me.
The descriptions of it given so far are a bit vague to make too much conclusions...

Look at the article. No one can tell me that these screenshots convey the feeling of the prequels in any way. But yeah, it has vault suit and stuff.

People have to THINK more... I never said F3 will be a great game!
It probably won't.. well.. most probably, since they screwed the setting and the atmosphere is not the best... not fallouty enough.
But they are not finished yet and it's still possible... if not very probable...

Every fan can blame them regarding of fallout's history and their long waiting for a decent sequel when Bethesda don't even get the setting right, not to mention any gameplay mechanics.

You can blame Bethesda for a lot things, but not for all they are actually being blamed for...

Koby said:
As I understand it (and I can be wrong here) creating and communicating an atmosphere isn’t 'contributed' by a perspective, the perspective defines the way you want to communicate it (or at the very least – helps in defining it), and I'm not saying you can't communicate the same atmosphere through different perspectives, just that conveying an atmosphere through an a bird eye view is a different approach to conveying it through FPP.

That's more or less what I said. However you interprete it, perspective influences the atmosphere.
So Beth will maybe get it right... and maybe not.

I think you guys totally got me wrong.. as I said before, I don't say that F3 will be great and that Beth does/will do a great job.
I'm just against ranting about their decisions concerning perpsective and combat system, because those are not the decisions that will most likely screw up the game...

Orcs are more likely to screw up the game...

aries202

Erudite
It makes me wonder why Beth did buy the license and then the IP for Fallout, when then are not interested in making a Fallout game at all??

It seems to me that Beth have taken the road of the BoS console game, where the BoS were some kind of heroes, protecting the Wasteland from Supermutants. Couldn't BoS (the game) also be somewhat referred to as a survival horror-esque
game in which you fought supermutants for survival??

If Beth wanted to their own vision of a post apoc nuclear game, they could have done so. And probably be succesfull in doing so. But they had to buy the Fallout IP?? WHY?? To get control over the 1950's sci-fi world created by Boyarsky and friends??

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: This game reminds me of STALKER and Gears of War for some reason. From what I've learned from mike's (txa's??) review at rpgwatch STALKER is still the better game - even when FO 3 is released. The main quest in STALKER is still more interesting that the main quest in FO3 will be (imo) as are the misc. side quests in STALKER.

Krafter

Scholar
Re: ..

ricolikesrice said:
i couldnt help myself but thinking "Hellgate:London" while reading and seeing the pics on this article.
Didn't even think of it, but yeah, you're right. I like shooters, but if this is the future of RPGs, ugh.

Some more thoughts :

I actually like the toilet bowl idea, water and food should be a big deal, this is a wasteland, after all. Arx Fatalis had a similar system in place which was non-intrusive and worked quite fine. I'll give Bethesda props for this one.

The BOS / Super Mutants would have been better off left on the Pacific coast. I'm surprised Bethesda went this route, because you would think they would try to make the setting as original as possible to avoid the obvious comparisons to the real Fallout games. If they went with a new, original group (which would make more sense, anyway) they would not have to worry about getting it 'right' and could do whatever they pleased with the blank slate.

The VATS combat sounds even worse than Oblivion with guns. I wouldn't have thought it was possible, frankly. The only reason that they would do this is a throw-in to the turn-based real Fallout games, but wouldn't they be able to see that this wouldn't exactly work? Fallout fans are going to hate it. ADD kiddies won't even use it. Really, really bad decision here.

Perks every two levels now? Yay, another Monty Haul campaign. You know the game will be ridiculously easy anyway.

Aries, I still cant figure out why this game has to be Fallout 3. The 'reviewers' would gush over "Hellgate : DC!" regardless of the lack of Fallout heritage. It's not like those types like Fallout anyway, they only say so for their 'street cred.' Bethesda threw away their money for the license, and in the process prevented us from ever getting another Fallout game. Bastards, all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom