Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Fall's hype spams the net

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Fall: Last Days of Gaia; Silver Style

Remember <a href=http://www.the-fall.com>The Fall</a>? Well, apparently it's alive and kicking, and getting praised by the European mags as The Next Best Thing (TM), according to this email I got today:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>PC Games and PC Action, two of Europe's biggest PC gaming magazines, are featuring reviews of The Fall - Last Days of Gaia in their current issues.
<br>
<br>
<b>The game scored a 83 out of 100 in PC Action</b>:
<br>
<br>
"Seldom has a post-apocalyptic world been more exciting than the wastelands in The Fall."
<br>
<br>
""Oh my lady, I'll save that artifact!" - fortunately, quests like this are not present in The Fall."
<br>
<br>
"Tons of humorous dialogue."
<br>
<br>
"The combination of the interesting, well thought-out story and the exquisite combat and character system makes The Fall a worthy successor to the Fallout series, which has been the benchmark for post-apocalyptic RPGs to this day."
<br>
<br>
<b>PC Games gave it an overall score of 84/100 (game design 90/100)</b>:
<br>
<br>
"Only a very few games feature such an intelligently structured background story."
<br>
<br>
"The complex and remarkably diversified quests in The Fall are a big plus."
<br>
<br>
"In addition to the intelligent challenges and the twist-laden plot, The Fall also impresses with the sheer size of the game world."</blockquote>
<br>
I like that failed attempt to convince people that Fall is just like Fallout: it has a story, combat, and a character system! Why, it's practically the same game. Btw, how many post-apoc RPGs have you played lately?
<br>

chaedwards

Liturgist
According to RPGDot, it's got four patches for the German version in 10 days.

Tasty.

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
Pc Games & PC Arena are considered bottom of the barrel, pulp magazine's and generaly award higher scores than other mags. Pc Gamer UK is correct some of the time but tends to over hype anticpated release's & PC Zone is about as close as you can get to a hype free games magazine.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
HAHAHAHA!

Good review scores for Bl = genius

Good reviews for the Fall = brainwashed & paid for

R00fles, r00fles, r00fles!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Those 2 magazines are German. They will give every single god damn German game in the market a good review score to help the local game industry. Just look at the scores they gave that shitty Spellforce.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I liked what I saw in the videos of the game. Very Mad Max-ish look to it. It'll definitely see time on my hard drive. As Astro said, if I could give Lionheart a go, I can definitely give this one a go.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I think it might be interesting to check out, at least if they actually live up to their claims.

One of the game features is:

"Day- and night-cycle effects plus lifelike daily routines for every single NPC enhance realism."

Which is the very same thing that Oblivion is promising. I guess we can see just how much more "immersive" doing something like this is.

Txiasaeia

Novice
Just finished watching the trailer... looks *very* cool. Had a Baldur's gate feel to it (mechanics) with Mad Max thrown in for good measure. The cars look fun ;) Anyway, hope the US gets a publisher soon.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Someone on rpgdot.com reviewed it in the game comments, and said it was disappointing. The quests were way too linear. Just a tidbit to tone down the excitement. Here's to hoping though...

plin

Liturgist
dojoteef said:
Which is the very same thing that Oblivion is promising. I guess we can see just how much more "immersive" doing something like this is.

Oblivion sounds like it will be much more complex what with hunting and theives stealing (which I'm guessing is just the taste of what the NPCs will do, if they get it to work how he was describing it that is). Think of the Fall's system more like Gothic. Where they are scripted to go from place to place, where as oblivian's sounds more akin to stalker where A.I. is directing the NPCs.

Thorndyke

Novice
Ex said:
Those 2 magazines are German. They will give every single god damn German game in the market a good review score to help the local game industry.
Bullshit.

Don't get me wrong, The Fall really seems to be a horribly flawed game (judging from the opinions of regular people who bought and played it), but the reason those two gaming mags gave it a Thumbs Up has probably more to do with them being spineless hype vehicles in general (and even though nobody around here gave a shit about it, The Fall was hyped in Germany). Also, PCA, PCG, Gamestar and a few others give nearly every RPG a good review, simply because they have very low standards when it comes to that genre.

A lot of german games suck ass and most of them get bad reviews. I don't know where you got the idea from that bad german games get a better treatment simply because they're german.

coaxmetal

Novice
eh, i'm prepared to give it a shot. That is, if there'll ever be an english version or something. wait. I can already see the picture... :roll:

Poot

Novice
I have been watching the game develop for over 16 months now and I believe The Fall will be great. The German version was pushed out the door way too soon if you ask me, but SSE has had nearly 6 months more to polish off the North American/English release. The game will be great. Don't knock it till you try it. It should be out in the next three months (late Q2) here in the USA & UK. Visit the official site for more info:

http://www.the-fall.com

obediah

Erudite
When the reviewers say something like.

"Tha Fall is great! Your social life will be a WASTELAND, and the FALLOUT of playing this game will see you starved for more. SHADOWRUN to the store to by this now, lest you be caught in the CAR WARS in the mall parking lot."

they actually mean:

"This game is merely a SHADOW. VAULT it before wasting your SACRED time. It truely DIABLOs."

I guess I got out of control there a bit, I just get too much joy out of abusing the english language.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
""Oh my lady, I'll save that artifact!" - fortunately, quests like this are not present in The Fall."

I thought this was the best quote from the post. However, there is more to original quests then just not using the trite and truant.

Vault Dweller said:
"The combination of the interesting, well thought-out story and the exquisite combat and character system makes The Fall a worthy successor to the Fallout series, which has been the benchmark for post-apocalyptic RPGs to this day."

What, just post apocalyptic RPGs? How about pretty much every RPG and PA game in other genres since. Really, is it possible to give Fallout too much praise?

DarkSign

Erudite
The English version is nowhere in sight. The Russian version is though = ???

They keep saying they cant find a good publisher for North America. For fucks sake, people are pirating this by the truckload.

As far as the day-night cycles...they do have them from what Ive been able to gleam off the boards. In fact, they even ran some contests where you could put yourself into their game by taking their list of activities/animations and putting them to a realistic day night cycle.

I cant wait to play this...but I dont think its worth busting out a german dictionary.

Fez

Erudite
It's available in French or Spanish, if that helps.

Fez

Erudite
I remembered you knew more than one language, so I thought you might know one of them. :)

Fresh

Erudite
Poot nice to see you drop by! :wink:

The trailer pretty much had me slobbering all over the place. And despite the rushed german release Im still very much looking forward to playing The Fall.

// Hyperboy aka Karmaboy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom