Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Angthoron

Arcane
Shannow said:
Angthoron said:
It's a bit funny that they pulled them off the net to begin with after they were already cut and even logo'd by Gametrailers. The point of that seems totally lost.
It's what you pay marketing big bucks for. They tell you it's important to release that video and not this one, to release that day and not the day before.

Perhaps they didn't want to show off the atrocious body-language of the PC or his bad VA? Seriously Annie, that needs work: stiff is better than bad, silent is also better than bad.

I suspect it has more to do with some agreement with GDC than anything else, after all, the videoes were basically official, it was obviously not a pocket recorder. One possible reason for pulling would be that the videos were meant to be released after GDC as not to lose potential visitors to the booth/show, or some other obscure agreement they might've made there. Maybe ANet wanted to announce a new profession themselves. Those vids were obviously going to be shown to the public soon, in any case.

And yeah, I agree, some of that VO was pretty bad. Not quite Cataclysm level bad, but still.

That aside: Have you guys put any thought into what kind of chars you'll play? So far I can't decide between Asuran Necro, Norn Warrior or Charr Ranger.

Not likely going to make an Asura myself. Not sure about the races, probably going for human/norn/charr initially. Definitely making a Thief, a warrior, a necro and an elementalist (first time ever wanting to roll a ranged caster class in an MMO, that's quite an achievement by ANet).

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Shannow said:
That aside: Have you guys put any thought into what kind of chars you'll play? So far I can't decide between Asuran Necro, Norn Warrior or Charr Ranger.
necro ... race depends on which looks least/most likely to be a necro

Angthoron

Arcane
Shannow said:
Angthoron said:
It's a bit funny that they pulled them off the net to begin with after they were already cut and even logo'd by Gametrailers. The point of that seems totally lost.
It's what you pay marketing big bucks for. They tell you it's important to release that video and not this one, to release that day and not the day before.

Perhaps they didn't want to show off the atrocious body-language of the PC or his bad VA? Seriously Annie, that needs work: stiff is better than bad, silent is also better than bad.

Ah, here we go, found the reason for them pulling off the gameplay vids: PAX Announcement Teaser

Oops, quite a cock-up on everyone's part it seems.

Mystary!

Arcane
The necro seems pretty cool and original, the attack that has skeletal arms coming up from the ground, never seen anything like that in a game before, there's usually just flashy bright colored effects. :incline:
I'll start with guardian or fighter Race either human, norn or asura depending on how I like their initial story lines.

Black

Arcane
Shannow said:

Human male thief, order Vigil.
Other races? Please. Furries, closet furries who embrace their inner fursona, midgets and scene kids.

Angthoron

Arcane
I am starting to suspect that the devs might be waiting for 2012 to wipe out mankind...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Angthoron said:
For those not willing to stoop down to Facebook links: Q4 2011
:love:
Made up for the walking issue.

Angthoron said:
Shannow said:

Ah, here we go, found the reason for them pulling off the gameplay vids: PAX Announcement Teaser

Oops, quite a cock-up on everyone's part it seems.

Necro sucks. You don't all want to play necro /Shannow mindtrick

Angthoron

Arcane
Shannow said:
Necro sucks. You don't all want to play necro /Shannow mindtrick

But how can I resist a profession that has a spell of mighty :M :M :M eating opponents' eyes and head?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
10 minutes of GW2 combat:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/05/ten-m ... t-footage/

IGN footage of GW2
http://ie.pc.ign.com/articles/115/1153403p1.html

Norn starting event shapeshifted as a snow leopard + combat:
http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6302346/?tag=bounce

The art design is hit and miss for me (still looks a bit too "Korean"-y sometimes) but damn the monster designs are pretty cool. The Oakheart especially. I like how they also made the Oakheart do a bunch of knockback with every (slow) strike, adding to the illusion of mass.

Angthoron

Arcane
The first video made me go "What the hell, overtuned mobs?" until I realized that this is actually a PvP video. Or at least I think it is PvP.

Tycn

Savant
Angthoron said:
The first video made me go "What the hell, overtuned mobs?" until I realized that this is actually a PvP video. Or at least I think it is PvP.
I sure hope not. In Guild Wars PvP you actually had to move.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Tycn said:
Angthoron said:
I sure hope not. In Guild Wars PvP you actually had to move.

I, too, hope that Guild Wars PvP isn't just the mentally challenging task of executing a sequence of buttons preferably in the correct order but also features such ubermenschery as using WASD and your brain AT THE SAME TIME.

Mystary!

Arcane
So instead of chaining different attacks together you hit the same button three times and something awesome happens? o.O

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
fyezall said:
So instead of chaining different attacks together you hit the same button three times and something awesome happens? o.O
I think these "chains" are more for aesthetics and perhaps gameplay diversity. So for a single skill you don't do all the damage at once but is instead spread over three hits so that I guess the gameplay looks less repetitive (or such is their attention).

However, I don't see where this specific mechanic prevents you from "chaining" to another skill or not. Perhaps the skills are balanced so that both (1) continuing in the same skill chain and (2) using another skill are equally viable, depending on the specific tactical situation. Or maybe not, but moreso depending on overall design and implementation. The mere existence of these "chains" aren't really indicative of that.

Tycn

Savant
With the 8-slot skillbar your choices mattered and swapping out a single skill could drastically change your playstyle. Now you have ten, and a sequence of attacks that occupied three slots only takes one. I'm not sure if I like that direction.

Shannow

Waster of Time
You guys do realize that we've already criticized the dumbing down on the first few pages?
The reason I'm still quite positive is that they also introduce some good (to potentially great) features.

As for the staticness in the shown PvP(?): The very reason they introduced the cross-class-combos is to encourage the players to move. IIRC, thieves sneak attack when they attack from behind (trivia: attacking from behind with melee gives bonuses in GW1, too.). If that was PvP they were probably rather static because they weren't very good ;)

Some questions for Annie (or whoever else knows the answers):
You are already forced into certain skill sets by your equipment, do you at least get to distribute your attribute points yourself or will this be Blizzardified?
Will every class have their own lines of attributes again?
What's the max level?
Will one reach max level after playing through most of the mainquest (Prophesies) or will it be reached early on (Factions, Nightfall)?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Tycn said:
With the 8-slot skillbar your choices mattered and swapping out a single skill could drastically change your playstyle. Now you have ten, and a sequence of attacks that occupied three slots only takes one. I'm not sure if I like that direction.
That criticism doesn't make much logical sense, because you still have those 7 (well, 9 in GW2 right?) slots available for you to use.

The greater issue is that you can't really customize your skill bar. But even then we can't really conclude anything because Anet's intention IIRC is that the new "trait" system is supposed to take on the burden of skill customization.

It is really hard to be staunchly positive or negative about this game, because like Shannow said they're rolling out so many changes and new features (for an MMO) that sound good and bad on paper, but can only be judged on implementation.

Shannow, I can somewhat reply to your questions. I dunno if you directly can customize your attributes, but this new article suggests that you are intended to be able to do so via armor, I think. But they all have the same attributes.

Also, the trait system is supposed to also add to customization, like I wrote above, but there's hardly any info on that.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Thanks. The system sounds quite good. At a glance there is no obvious attribute to chose for a class. Or to put it differently, every attribute seems worthwhile for every class. Pretty much what Blizzard and Bioware fail(ed) at. And it seems like you can spend them yourself. I think it's funny that the most simple scheme also sounds like the best (balanced). Also makes it possible for every class to fill various roles. As long as the classes still play very differently...

Tycn

Savant
Mangoose said:
That criticism doesn't make much logical sense, because you still have those 7 (well, 9 in GW2 right?) slots available for you to use.
I mean, you have even more skills available compared to GW1 and consequently choice doesn't sound like it will be as critical.

It is really hard to be staunchly positive or negative about this game, because like Shannow said they're rolling out so many changes and new features (for an MMO) that sound good and bad on paper, but can only be judged on implementation.
I agree for the most part, but the removal or 'reworking' of features that were unanimously considered to be excellent doesn't strike me as a good sign.

Shannow said:
(trivia: attacking from behind with melee gives bonuses in GW1, too.)
Not true. Attacking a moving target gives automatic criticals but that's about it.

And FFS I'm suppressing the vitriol as much as I can, this is very dificult :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom