Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Looks reasonably OK. New items/Spells = good, IWD2 was badly lacking both. Obviously depends on how well they are balanced though. Some new abilities for weaker classes = good, Fighters for example had no reason to exist as a class past level 4.

Title is retarded though and makes it sound like something official or at least just a fixup rather than a full mod.
IWD 2 had many spells, but I find that the high level Arcane and Divine spells are really lacking.
No Time Stop, no Foresight, no Polymorph Any Object, Miracle, etc...

Looks reasonably OK. New items/Spells = good, IWD2 was badly lacking both. Obviously depends on how well they are balanced though. Some new abilities for weaker classes = good, Fighters for example had no reason to exist as a class past level 4.

Title is retarded though and makes it sound like something official or at least just a fixup rather than a full mod.
IWD 2 had many spells, but I find that the high level Arcane and Divine spells are really lacking.
It's lacking everywhere. IWD2 only has Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, and Eagle's Splendor. Why the buffs for endurance, intelligence and wisdom are missing no one will ever know I expect. It's like the campaign is being run by some weird super restricted low magic DM.

It's lacking everywhere. IWD2 only has Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, and Eagle's Splendor. Why the buffs for endurance, intelligence and wisdom are missing no one will ever know I expect. It's like the campaign is being run by some weird super restricted low magic DM.
:balance:

Red Hexapus

Savant

VHS9000

Novice
Is it me or IWD2 tough as fuck even without all the tactics mods? Haven't played it for years and feel rammed at the end of the Chapter 1. :negative:

It demands more micromanagement of every fight yes. It was designed as an extra gift for people who already had mastered IWD1.

Jigby

Augur
It's just you :D

You can just cast 5x Animate dead with your clerics, cast 2nd level Invisibility on your char (or 3rd lvl Invisibility Sphere) and you can go clear all of the goblin warrens with the invisible char + skellies. (assuming that your Animate Dead is summoning Boneguard Skeletons, but your party at this point should be around lvl 7~8, no?)

Edit: I guess iwd2 can be annoying if you play it with the usual "nice" tactics of 2 frontliners as meatshields, druid casts some entangle / spike stones crap, wizard casts web/fireball crap, cleric casts Prayer, rinse and repeat every encounter. You run out of spells quickly thanks to the Vancian system.

Edit2: With invisibility sphere, you can make the skellies invisible too and then easily surround and takeout important targets (I'm thinking of the orc sorcerers/shamans)

Last edited:
IWD2 should be pretty easy on normal difficulty, but unlike all other IE games the difficulty slider has a much greater effect. Where other games just add +50/100% damage (which is irrelevant if you have huge AC or something like mirror image), IWD2 also adds huge AB bonuses, I think enemies get +10 on insane which is where broken things like monk dips to stack massive AC, mirror image, or spamming summons (which get difficulty bonuses) come into play, normal things like fighter/barb/ranger/paladin just have no way to keep up. Taking enemy hit rate from, say, 15% to 65% along with a damage boost is ridiculous. I think they may also get some kind of bonus to saves but not nearly as drastic so save or die/save or be disabled spells are still quite effective.

For normal difficulty though it should be pretty reasonably doable with a normal setup and no cheese, assuming you're competent at building characters and utilizing the systems (I'm also assuming min-maxed stats because you did the same thing in IWD1/BGs, no one made a fighter there without 18/xx strength/18 dex/18 con). I feel IWD1 on normal is harder up until the expansion content which is badly balanced because its balanced to be possible to begun half way through the main campaign and gives tons of experience. IWD1 is just weird because insane also gives +100% XP there which means that it can actually make the game easier.

Last edited:

VHS9000

Novice
if you play it with the usual "nice" tactics of 2 frontliners as meatshields, druid casts some entangle / spike stones crap, wizard casts web/fireball crap, cleric casts Prayer
That's my way. Party of four with sword'n'boarding pal-o-fighter, dual wielding barb-ranger, painbearer with a single level dip into the broken ones and pure wizard. RP autism gives me a strength.

IWD2.jpg

You can just cast 5x Animate dead with your clerics, cast 2nd level Invisibility on your char (or 3rd lvl Invisibility Sphere) and you can go clear all of the goblin warrens with the invisible char + skellies
What a vile insidiousness! :obviously:

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Is it me or IWD2 tough as fuck even without all the tactics mods? Haven't played it for years and feel rammed at the end of the Chapter 1. :negative:

It's pretty tough. It was definitely designed with IE veterans in mind, and the AI is somewhat "better" than previous IE games, by which I just mean its common for enemies to try to bypass your frontliners to get your squishies. Definitely makes things more sweaty and less uniform.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

It's pretty tough. It was definitely designed with IE veterans in mind, and the AI is somewhat "better" than previous IE games, by which I just mean its common for enemies to try to bypass your frontliners to get your squishies. Definitely makes things more sweaty and less uniform.
It's tough in the sense that you absolutely need a well rounded party or, at least, a really good character who can fulfill multiple roles.
You need a tank, healer, mage, buffer...
There are also many combat and deadly encounters which can destroy you. Yeah, can be a challenging game.
That's why you get to make your own party. Make them the way you want.

Snufkin

Augur
if you play it with the usual "nice" tactics of 2 frontliners as meatshields, druid casts some entangle / spike stones crap, wizard casts web/fireball crap, cleric casts Prayer
That's my way. Party of four with sword'n'boarding pal-o-fighter, dual wielding barb-ranger, painbearer with a single level dip into the broken ones and pure wizard. RP autism gives me a strength.

IWD2.jpg

You can just cast 5x Animate dead with your clerics, cast 2nd level Invisibility on your char (or 3rd lvl Invisibility Sphere) and you can go clear all of the goblin warrens with the invisible char + skellies
It's not that bad .. what i would miss is bard, as party leader with all those dialogue skills, and wizard does get delayed on getting fireball and haste (you need to find scroll, unlike sorcerer who learns them by lvl up). You may wanna pump wilderness lore on your ranger for Fellwood maze. Makes it a breeze.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

IWD2.jpg

It's not that bad .. what i would miss is bard, as party leader with all those dialogue skills, and wizard does get delayed on getting fireball and haste (you need to find scroll, unlike sorcerer who learns them by lvl up). You may wanna pump wilderness lore on your ranger for Fellwood maze. Makes it a breeze.
You'd want some rogue skills. Some of the traps are not fun, and there are lots of them.

Also, you don't want a Paladin or Monk as your face. They automatically decline quest rewards, IIRC. Paladins are also only really good for a dip. A Pal/Painbearer is not a bad combo for a tank.

Snufkin

Augur
Sorcerers are bad diplomats because it's more optimal to go human with 3 int. That leaves 2 skills which should be concentration + spellcraft to unlock feats that give boost to elemental dmg.

Jigby

Augur
You don't need to invest in the skills, with Eagle's Splendor you can have 8+ Charisma bonus. That's enough for all the diplo skill checks, with the exception of those at the end in Severed Hand (there's a diplo check I think on the Severed Hand entrance map and there's an initimidate check with the dead cats and the troll)

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Sorcerers are bad diplomats because it's more optimal to go human with 3 int. That leaves 2 skills which should be concentration + spellcraft to unlock feats that give boost to elemental dmg.
Yeah, but do you really want to play a human with 3 Int?
homo_erectus_georgicus2.jpg

Isn't that way too min-max?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom