Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Inquisitor - alternate timeline where Jesus came off the cross and killed the non-believers

Gerrard

Arcane
"Marketing? What's that?" - the publisher

Modron

Arcane
"Marketing? What's that?" - the publisher
Nothing will ever top sega's release of the judgment series. Sega holds a press conference: Judgment is out now on steam. No twitter build up, store page only popped up at the same time, no getting the press involved, et cetera.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The steam forums are in a state of mild holy war. Apparently a lot of people reaaaaaly didn't like the sacrilege here.

Oracscube

Formerly known as Oracsbox
Patron
I played the demo

The graphics are fairly awful with some terrible textures and there appears to be only five character models.
As long as you don't look closely at anything they're nearly serviceable.
Animations are very simple
There were a few other technical issues but mostly graphical
Combat is clunky and simplistic
it's all very janky
Voice acting is variable in quality using a strange mix of English and weird transatlantic accents.
Using the power of prayer automatically highlights everything
Annoying QTE's although they are easy
You usually only get two choices in dialogue, a moderate response or something more severe but at least it isn't written as a moronic evil choice.
It's basically a point a click detective adventure in third person

However..
No forced diversity
No pronouns
No female stronk wombyn warriors
Only one unseen hermaphrodite and it was referred to in a mocking manner

..and yet despite the flaws I liked it for some reason

It made a change the character you control is feared and respected by the populace from the start.
Dialogue although not great by any means, is far better than all the childish shit I've been putting up with in most crap releasing at the moment.
The late medieval/renaissance setting is hardly original but at least an effort was made to make it seem believable and not fill it with modern progressive bullshit.
I did want to know what was going to happen further on in the story

and..spoilers

I was allowed to soundly beat a youth unconscious for mistreating a dog, followed by ordering a penance for the miscreant in a pillory.

Execute another man for daring to raise his hand against me

Hopefully I can burn a witch at some point

GloomFrost

Arcane
So far so good (if you don't mind just how low budget it is). Always try to choose responses the book Mordimmer would have chosen. Some annoying QTE though. I would compare it to GoT RPG same awful graphics and animation and basic combat but good writing and atmosphere. Maybe wait for sale or something. Btw I do recommend Inquisitor novels, some nice low dark Christian fantsy sort of thing. Easy to read but not finished yet.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So far so good (if you don't mind just how low budget it is). Always try to choose responses the book Mordimmer would have chosen. Some annoying QTE though. I would compare it to GoT RPG same awful graphics and animation and basic combat but good writing and atmosphere. Maybe wait for sale or something. Btw I do recommend Inquisitor novels, some nice low dark Christian fantsy sort of thing. Easy to read but not finished yet.

Did you read the books in English? If so, how is the quality?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Did you read the books in English? If so, how is the quality?
I've read them in Polish. They're amusing but far from the best Poland has to offer in terms of fantasy literature. Piekara was never a master of word like Brzezińska or brilliant crafter of dialogue like Sapkowski and his stories are all pretty formulaic. The world has an interesting premise but I feel the fact that Jesus left the cross and killed the sinners did not alter the world enough. It's still 16th century Holy Roman Empire, only a bit more edgy.

Sunri

Liturgist
I remember from one book when one hoe was following the inquisitor after the job was done he told his ex prisoner friend that smells like shit and looks like zombie to rape her swell guy this Mordimer.

ADL

Prophet
As far as I'm aware, no one has bothered to translate them in English yet. Hopefully that changes with the game's release.

Gerrard

Arcane
Is the demo even updated? Just looking at screenshots I can tell the release version has improved graphics (not hard considering that the textures in the demo were stuck on low).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Peak concurrent players yesterday: 193

It's too much for this crap.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Ok basically they followed the first Witcher route. They have taken a lot of different bits and bobs from the books, mixed them together and put it in the game. Like they had the Professor in the Witcher who was killed in the books. And in Inquisitor they have the "merry executioner" character type who was also killed in the books. The town itself has very strong temple quarter Vizima vibes. Music is very moody and brooding. Sets the tone. The Journal is so nicely done, I genuinely like looking through it. I mean I know that everybody expected a proper RPG instead of adventure type of game but I am still enjoying that. And yes no woke shit whatsoever unlike another religious medieval game from the masters themselves. Yeas I am looking at you Pentiement.

ADL

Prophet
How old is the demo build? Did they update it for release or is it the Steam Next one they released last year?

9ted6

Educated
The steam forums are in a state of mild holy war. Apparently a lot of people reaaaaaly didn't like the sacrilege here.
It doesn't seem to have the woke content people predicted but how anti religious is it?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It doesn't seem to have the woke content people predicted but how anti religious is it?

The setting is apparently heavily inspired by Warhammer 40k so I don't think people familiar with the premise expected "woke" content.

It doesn't seem to be explicitly anti-Christian at all (since it's fiction) and I don't know the intention of the author (the game is based on the books). But, it does have the much cooler uber blasphemy since as the game thread title says, in this Christ rejected the sacrifice, came down from the cross and basically started killing people until he took over the Roman Empire? And mercy is now a sin in this version of Christianity.

You can probably see how that's a touchy subject.

TBF, I watched about 30 minutes of a walkthrough and writing/plot seems pretty good and interesting. A shame that the graphics are... weird and the swordplay is oddly slow, like your sword is moving through water.

To make up for this, you can beat the shit out of a kid and literally send him to the pillory. I wonder if that was somehow a reference to Disco Elysium.

:shredder:

Mikeal

Arcane

The setting is apparently heavily inspired by Warhammer 40k so I don't think people familiar with the premise expected "woke" content.

It doesn't seem to be explicitly anti-Christian at all (since it's fiction) and I don't know the intention of the author (the game is based on the books). But, it does have the much cooler uber blasphemy since as the game thread title says, in this Christ rejected the sacrifice, came down from the cross and basically started killing people until he took over the Roman Empire? And mercy is now a sin in this version of Christianity.

You can probably see how that's a touchy subject.

TBF, I watched about 30 minutes of a walkthrough and writing/plot seems pretty good and interesting. A shame that the graphics are... weird and the swordplay is oddly slow, like your sword is moving through water.

To make up for this, you can beat the shit out of a kid and literally send him to the pillory. I wonder if that was somehow a reference to Disco Elysium.

:shredder:

TBH in the later books it's suggested that Jesus really died on the cross, and what came down from the cross was the Beast who started perverting his sacrifice.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
They have taken a lot of different bits and bobs from the books, mixed them together and put it in the game. Like they had the Professor in the Witcher who was killed in the books.
These were actually two separate but functionally identical characters, the original from the books being called the Professor, the copy from the game being called the Magister in the Polish version and for some reason translated to Professor for the English version.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I played the demo

The graphics are fairly awful with some terrible textures and there appears to be only five character models.
As long as you don't look closely at anything they're nearly serviceable.
Animations are very simple
There were a few other technical issues but mostly graphical
Combat is clunky and simplistic
it's all very janky
Voice acting is variable in quality using a strange mix of English and weird transatlantic accents.
Using the power of prayer automatically highlights everything
Annoying QTE's although they are easy
You usually only get two choices in dialogue, a moderate response or something more severe but at least it isn't written as a moronic evil choice.
It's basically a point a click detective adventure in third person

However..
No forced diversity
No pronouns
No female stronk wombyn warriors
Only one unseen hermaphrodite and it was referred to in a mocking manner

..and yet despite the flaws I liked it for some reason

It made a change the character you control is feared and respected by the populace from the start.
Dialogue although not great by any means, is far better than all the childish shit I've been putting up with in most crap releasing at the moment.
The late medieval/renaissance setting is hardly original but at least an effort was made to make it seem believable and not fill it with modern progressive bullshit.
I did want to know what was going to happen further on in the story

and..spoilers

I was allowed to soundly beat a youth unconscious for mistreating a dog, followed by ordering a penance for the miscreant in a pillory.

Execute another man for daring to raise his hand against me

Hopefully I can burn a witch at some point
how brutalized by da pronouns were you that you actively check whether or not a game has that
personally im not even aware if i ever played a game which even allowed you to pick your pronouns meanwhile you make it a fucking bullet point lol

Oracscube

Formerly known as Oracsbox
Patron
how brutalized by da pronouns were you that you actively check whether or not a game has that
personally im not even aware if i ever played a game which even allowed you to pick your pronouns meanwhile you make it a fucking bullet point lol

I thought it was fairly obvious I was joking and merely pointing out the game isn't full of progressive propaganda the minute you begin playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom