Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Japs do everything better

The Japanese control the RPG business

• Yes

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Larian will save us

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

Odoryuk

Educated
Guys you are all kinda fucked up, I thought this place was about discussing videogames as gamers, not being old farts confused and frightened by the everchanging modern world.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Guys you are all kinda fucked up, I thought this place was about discussing videogames as gamers, not being old farts confused and frightened by the everchanging modern world.

You mean the everchanging for the worst modern world.

Machocruz

Arcane

If you really want to do more stuff in a video game it simply doesn't make sense to do an 'RPG' beyond a certain point. RPGs are for RPG things. I think it would do the RPG good to be embraced as a limited and specific form, rather than treated like an ideal tool that will one day do all.
The super crpg that does everything, and does it well, doesn't exist, and I doubt it's possible to be produced by human hands. Those features I mentioned from various games are within the confines of RPG things, maybe excepting some aspects of world simulation. To your point, probably better for a game to do a couple of those things rigorously than to try to include them all, and that's what most of those games did. I'm also not fan of bringing in stuff from other genres, like fighting game mechanics, survival crafting chores, rhythm game shit, etc. Western AAA has been trying to make smorgasboard games for everyone for years, a mush of RPG, action, adventure, survival, MMO, sandbox, etc. That's what "do more stuff" looks like to me, and I do not want.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Who? I just googled the book and found that article. Who gives a fuck whose blog it is.
Greg Johnson is an openly homosexual man who weaseled his way into alt right circles when they were popular. Him and some of his buddies were using the TRS meet ups to groom young men. He's quite infamous for saying 'I fuck men like they're women' and promoting homo nationalism because he's afraid Muslims will cure him if whites lose their power base.

Western AAA has been trying to make smorgasboard games for everyone for years, a mush of RPG, action, adventure, survival, MMO, sandbox, etc. That's what "do more stuff" looks like to me, and I do not want.
But you need a skill tree and to grind 7 weeks to unlock a +2 fire sword drop! Many of those mechanics seem like filler rather than additional features. Punching trees pads the game so much it effectively triples the content if not more. If you're looking to stretch your budget adding crafting is a good way to claim your games 100 hours long and keep streamers (marketing) playing it longer.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Who? I just googled the book and found that article. Who gives a fuck whose blog it is.
Greg Johnson is an openly homosexual man who weaseled his way into alt right circles when they were popular. Him and some of his buddies were using the TRS meet ups to groom young men. He's quite infamous for saying 'I fuck men like they're women' and promoting homo nationalism because he's afraid Muslims will cure him if whites lose their power base.

That's cool but i still don't give a fuck. I didn't post that article because of him, but because it's the first summary of the book i found on google.

GamerCat_

Educated
Japanese and Western games are completely different forms. JRPGs have very little in common with Western RPGs when you consider their creative intentions. They have an old fascination with a few key ideas they lifted but do such radically different things with them that comparisons seem silly. The Japanese approach has always been something more like creating multimedia anime, with the "RPG Combat" form being a useful contrivance to abstract away any kind of violence, provide a stimulating mental puzzle, and fill a lot of time along the way.

Meanwhile in the West the "RPG Combat" is basically the point because RPGs are for subhumans.

It's all about race when it comes down to it.

Schuon, as always, is my go to guy when it comes to this stuff:

https://counter-currents.com/2019/01/frithjof-schuon-on-the-meaning-of-race/
Ha. I see Jonathan Bowden in the margins of this site. You'd be much better off taking cues from him, but sure let's give this a chance.

And... absorbed. Wow, that was totally irrelevant and intellectually tepid. Who saw that coming?
https://counter-currents.com/2019/01/frithjof-schuon-on-the-meaning-of-race/
While video games are not an high art, the metaphysics of race still apply. This is what Schuon had to say about Asian cultures, quoted from the above:

For example, while the Chinese and Japanese have distinct languages and cultures, Schuon would claim that they both exemplify the yellow race because both races exhibit a non-dramatic, “intuitive delicacy” in the field of art, and other qualitative similarities, such as a disdain for eloquence and a penchant for sober, elliptical expression in language. These qualities can be observed in most Asian cultures.
A person more secure in their judgements would just give a read of the Japanese. Am I supposed to favour this particular view because it's associated with Schuon or counter currents? This quote is so short on relevant detailed, embedded in a piece which is itself weak and straining for relevance to anything at all. Just fucking say what you think about the Japanese. This is why Bowden would be good for you.

People are certain ways and the way people are informs and is reflected in their work. That I believe. The Japanese are a certain way and this is why their work is a certain way. This I believe. None of this was or could really be established by the thing you linked, you're just looking to sanctify this line of thinking by drawing it back to a bearded man in a black and white photo and a site that sells books. Of course the greatest failing here is RPGcodex for being such a poor environment for good reads on people and art that such qualification could feel necessary. This place is not good for you if you lack faith in yourself. Will make you feel like it would be horribly pretentious to have a solid page worth of thoughts about any one thing (let alone more) or entertain a thought that predated the glory of generation x.

And you can see this in pretty much all Japanese games. Even when the Japanese try to mimic the kind of “long, rich, incisive sentences" favored by white peoples it's mostly just surface level. Deep down all Japanese story telling boils down to an "elliptical expression" where what is being said is devoid of meaning and you have to actually read between the lines, where you'll find there's some kind of archetype at play.
I would appreciate a spread of demonstrative examples and elaboration upon every key concept necessary to understand this statement. If the thought of doing such doesn't please you I have to ask why you're here. Such exercises are why I use forums.

What is a "long, rich, incisive sentence" as opposed to "surface level" in the Japanese? You're quoting such a shallow summary of such general concepts that any kind of precise diagnosis built on such materials can't withstand or help us with anything serious. You would be better off diagnosing cultural tendencies by feeling than binding us to this stupid piece and this dead theory.

When you read "long, rich, incisive sentence", "fire", what understanding of "white" are you building or seeing? When you read "intuitive delicacy" and "disdain for eloquence", what does that practically mean to you in understanding Asians? I'll let you spin out a little further now to see.

The concept of relating the main racial branches with the gunas of Hindu metaphysics is also interesting.
No it isn't.
Western games rapresent the qualities of sattva with their creativity and this tendency to want to reach out to some kind of "ideal", either in terms of content or technical progress. Japanese games are clearly rajas with their emphasis on motion and energy.
I am not impressed.

Keep in mind none of this has anything to do with talent or the actual quality of the game. I'm just pointing this out to explain the futility to try to find parallels between western games and Japanese games. Games made by white people will always display the same kind of racial psychology, whether they be good or bad, intelligent or dump, and the same applies for Japanese games.
What exactly do you mean by "find parallels"?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

People are certain ways and the way people are informs and is reflected in their work. That I believe. The Japanese are a certain way and this is why their work is a certain way. This I believe. None of this was or could really be established by the thing you linked

Except it is, because whites are a certain way and Asians have been a certain way everywhere, at all times, across the millenia. An outcome THAT consistent cannot but indicate there is an underlying constant there, the constant being racial differences.

Race is a real thing, and the perspective Schuon brings is infinitely more nuanced that that of the alt-right throglodytes, for whom only "IQ" matters, and much more metaphysically consistent than the likes of Evola.

Usually i keep this kind of stuff away from the gaming forums but Japanese games are such a perfect example of the characteristically Asian racial mindset that i couldn't help myself.

The underlying idea here is that racial groups are kind of "stylistic" expression of an universal archetype, which is why it is legitimate to see the different races as if they were various art forms, which is what Schuon does in his book.

GamerCat_

Educated

People are certain ways and the way people are informs and is reflected in their work. That I believe. The Japanese are a certain way and this is why their work is a certain way. This I believe. None of this was or could really be established by the thing you linked

Except it is, because whites are a certain way and Asians have been a certain way everywhere, at all times, across the millenia. An outcome THAT consistent cannot but indicate there is an underlying constant there, the constant being racial differences.
Sure, as I just said. What the hell is the relevance of Schuon?
Race is a real thing, and the perspective Schuon brings is infinitely more nuanced that that of the alt-right throglodytes, for whom only "IQ" matters, and much more metaphysically consistent than the likes of Evola.
Schuon might be nuanced. But if we really cared about nuance here we wouldn't be letting 2000 word primers speak for us.

Usually i keep this kind of stuff away from the gaming forums but Japanese games are such a perfect example of the characteristically Asian racial mindset that i couldn't help myself.
If you're so fascinated with the asian racial mindset I'd expect you to jump at a chance to write about it. Rather than awkwardly cite and quote that counter currents trash.

The underlying idea here is that racial groups are kind of "style" of a universal archetype, which is why it is legitimate to see the different races as if they were various art forms, which is what Schuon does in his book.
If you want to write about that in relation to video games at some point I'd be interested in seeing it. If you think you already have here then you probably never will.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

You mean in this particular instance?

He presented the best understanding of race and racial differences that has ever been laid out by anyone that as ever dealt with this subject (an understanding that goes beyond both the left and the far right, rejecting both racial denialism as well as racial supremacism), and his insights actually kinda solve the problem people are having in this thread.

I never thought about this distinction between western games and Japanese games until i got to play the latter. Especially when i started playing FromSoft games it just hit me how fundamentally ASIAN Japanese games actually are, despite the cross cultural influences, the attempt at emulating some western cultural trends etc.

I'm not that familiar with JRPGs given that i dislike animu like i said, but even so from that little i've seen and from what i see being said it seems there's a certain fundamental difference that relates to the general difference between westerners and Asians in general.

If you're so fascinated with the asian racial mindset I'd expect you to jump at a chance to write about it. Rather than awkwardly cite and quote that counter currents trash.

Again with this counter current shit. I already said that i don't a fuck about the blog. I don't have the book with me right now and it's the only article i found on google that has passages from it and presents a decent summary of it. Instead of screeching about the source why don't you lay out your disagrement with what is being said.

GamerCat_

Educated

He presented the best understanding of race and racial differences that has ever been laid out by anyone that as ever dealt with this subject (an understanding that goes beyond both the left and the far right, rejecting both racial denialism as well as racial supremacism),
Yes, yes, you're not a nahtsee like the other girls you're actually this very special third thing no I will not read Junger.

and his insights actually kinda solve the problem people are having in this thread.
Not for me. Well, I'm personally not having a problem. But I don't see any insight to be gained from what has been shared of him. It really feels like you're looking for a way to launder simple (and correct and perfectly fine) instincts through prestige and respectability. Does anything quoted really mean more to you than "whites like heavy complex purposeful stuff, Asians are weird and intelligently detached from such concerns".

I never thought about this distinction between western games and Japanese games until i got to play the latter. Especially when i started playing FromSoft games it just hit me how fundamentally ASIAN Japanese games actually are, despite the cross cultural influences, the attempt at emulating some western cultural trends etc.

I'm not that familiar with JRPGs given that i dislike animu like i said, but even so from that little i've seen and from what i see being said it seems there's a certain fundamental difference that relates to the general difference between westerners and Asians in general.
A difference you should perhaps spend more time thinking about. Give up on reading(I assume you aren't even putting in serious time).

Again with this counter current shit. I already said that i don't a fuck about the blog. I don't have the book with me right now and it's the only article i found on google that has passages from it and presents a decent summary of it. Instead of screeching about the source why don't you lay out your disagrement with what is being said.
I believe that if you had organically integrated anything useful from the source into the subject at hand you would have just talked about it. I have no serious disagreements with what is being said because nothing has been said yet. I'm still waiting.

Hell Swarm

Educated
He's admitted earlier in the thread his goal is to upset people. You're engaging with some one being dishonest who will write essay after essay talking in circles as long as someone will engage with him.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

He presented the best understanding of race and racial differences that has ever been laid out by anyone that as ever dealt with this subject (an understanding that goes beyond both the left and the far right, rejecting both racial denialism as well as racial supremacism),
Yes, yes, you're not a nahtsee like the other girls you're actually this very special third thing no I will not read Junger.

Have you read anything the Nazis wrote? Can you articulate their actual position?

Because if you can't i'd like to know how you can even recognize a refutation of their perspective, which is what Schuon offers:

http://www.frithjof-schuon.com/racism.htm

I believe that if you had organically integrated anything useful from the source into the subject at hand you would have just talked about it. I have no serious disagreements with what is being said because nothing has been said yet. I'm still waiting.

Dude i read the book years ago i wasn't gonna just be able to quote entire passages from it by memory. Stop screeching like a retard and actually read the fucking thing and give us your opinion.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
He's admitted earlier in the thread his goal is to upset people. You're engaging with some one being dishonest who will write essay after essay talking in circles as long as someone will engage with him.

So he is only pretending to be retarded then?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm a simple man. I see animu and i avoid. The only thing that makes me avoid a game more than animu is wokeness at this point.
Don't you like Dark souls 3?

It's interesting becase while i like FromSoft art direction in general, i still find some of it's stylistic excesses to be off putting.

One aspect of this for instance is the lack of consistency and thus groundedness. You have characters that are supposed to be related to one another and yet visually each of them feels like they ought to belong to completely different fantasy settings or worlds.

I notice this alot in Japanese games. The art is very virtuosic and in some cases definitely superior to modern westoid generic slop, but at the same time it feels excessive and overdesigned. Works well enough for a game like Dark Souls since it's a kind of esoteric action game but i still feel a bit alienated by this way of doing things.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I consider drugs, drink and whores to be slightly less destructive (...)

But this doesn't mean being woke.

Woke refers to the Michel Foucault + Frankfurt school attempts to make instead of class based marxism, gender, race, sexual oriental or anything based marxism. Having a whore in a miniskirt where you can "date" or use domination to get her for free in vtmb is not "woke", can be sinful, degenerate and etc but is not woke.

Now, if the same whore starts to 'lecture' you about how sex work is real work but you objectifying her is a huge problem. About evil eurocentric beauty standards, about how any form of sexuality is good except what the average straight guy likes, then the game is woke. Because is preaching woke religion dogmas.

Las Vegas is probably the most sinful USA city. Los Angeles and San Francisco, the mot woke. Both cities are vastly different.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
One aspect of this for instance is the lack of consistency and thus groundedness. You have characters that are supposed to be related to one another and yet visually each of them feels like they ought to belong to completely different fantasy settings or worlds.
For example? Don't say Ranni.

Old Hans

Arcane
I always thought the japs did hair much better in games even back in the ps2 days. they also made Dragon Quest which is my favorite and it is a BAZILLION times better than final fantasy which is a TERRIBLE series and anyone who likes it is a fat dumb nerd

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Educated
I notice this alot in Japanese games. The art is very virtuosic and in some cases definitely superior to modern westoid generic slop, but at the same time it feels excessive and overdesigned.
Japan's designers are greatly suffering from a lack of first hand experience. Technology has made computer games and anime the defacto childhood experience and it's only getting worse over time. The fact that Japan cannot get over the katana as a primary weapon in basically every game they make is both tiresome and troubling. As you said Asians have their genetic personality and the bug people meme fits very well here. They have stamped out innovation at a genetic level because any thing not herd focused is unacceptable to them and innovation disrupts the herd.

vtmb is not "woke", can be sinful, degenerate and etc but is not woke.
I'm sorry you're clinically retarded. Maybe spend some time learning about VTM and how progressive it was during it's inception and you might be worth conversing with. I've openly stated I don't care what terms you used to justify your degenerate ways or your brand of degenerate acceptance. I don't want faggotry in my games and I don't care your excuses for it. I'm not even interested in a total nigger faggot death mod for Doom any more.

They have stamped out innovation at a genetic level because any thing not herd focused is unacceptable to them and innovation disrupts the herd.
Posting this on a video game forum will probably get quite a bit of a reaction. I rate this a :2.5/5:.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Plenty of katanas in Elden Ring/Dark Souls, but primary weapon? Shirley, you jest!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom