Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Phinks

Barely Literate
There is no strong incentive to wait 5 months.

Buy both. That is what I am doing.

I have taken a week off work to play Cold Steel IV on PS4 the week it comes out. I'll also buy on PC to play the master race version, of course.

The Trails series deserves it.

Honestly even if it's Trails I've got no incentive to suffer through load times and playing a JRPG without a bit of frameskip.

I will say that Cold Steel 3 was pretty respectful of my time relative to certain JRPG grinds, the boss health soak of Trails SC was notable, but I'm still happy to wait for the best version.

i was thinking about giving trail of cold steel 3 difficulty mod a shot, i don't know if anyone heard about it.

Here is the full changelog .

The TL : DR:
-Base stat become nightmare mod, with some tweak : HP/DEF/ADF don't change much, ATK/ATS is boosted and Speed has a HUGE boost and break def even more.
-Huge nerf and rework of the most broken tool : BO (Millium/Sara/Elliot ...) Bell, delay, craft (arcane gale, accelerate ...), and an interesting nerf on chrono burst.
-Tweak art
-Huge nerf on evasion
-Boost status ailment
-Nerf S-craft.
-Change boss AI and give or tweak their technic.
-Tweak 1v1 and mecha battle in order to not make them autistically difficult.

Thought ?

The issue with balance mods is that you have to be certain that the game, post mod, is actually fun to play. Which means you need to do what all game designers do and that is to design the 2-4 "intended strategies" to play a turn based game with and check they are fun and enjoyable.

It seems like you are substituting status spam, whilst simultaneously increasing enemy survivability a lot. But you have to check your final product is actually worthwhile to play.

I feel like they intended this entry to be all about break for a reason, it's a mechanic that wasn't explored in previous games and it's a change of pace which is something they have said they are worried about, keeping gameplay fresh in the series.

Clearly the enemy damage output wasn't ever enough to make it threatening to people who've understood the mechanics, but the thing is since Trails games are so long the audience of people who understand the mechanics and do multiple playthroughs (which is required to truly learn the system IMO) is vanishingly small. The game is balanced for a first playthrough kinda, even Nightmare.

The creator of that mod worked on CSII difficulty mod. Which I felt was really solid. He tried to keep all the crazy strategies viable without being ridiculously broken. E.G Evasion tanks were too much.

He has extensive knowledge on the series and strats. At the least, it's worth checking out for yourself.
Also, lots of big trails fans joined the discord channel to test and bring up opinions & recommendations.

At the same time, it can be fun to break stuff.

cruel

Cipher
Is it only me, or is the ending of Cold Steel 3 very... disappointing? To be precise, I mean events before the final dungeon. Heavy spoilers below for those who didn't play.

For the whole game, there is a slow buildup of tension and intrigue - different factions involved (Osborne, Gnomes, Ouroboros), working against each other, having their own goals. Secrecy, mystery, nothing is known - OK. Gnomes and Ouroboros almost fight with each other at Juno Fortress. The game keeps building this up and making the aura of mystery more and more dense. And then, suddenly, 5min before the final dungeon, all of that is thrown away for the sake of: 'let's all of us combine forces together and work on destroying the world! yay!'. Seriously? WTF was that? I found that totally unbelievable and felt treated like an idiot to be honest.

I've just entered the final dungeon, so if the game changes some of that in the next few hours, please have this in mind (spoiler-wise).

And of course, I was too weak to wait, continued playing CS3 and bought CS4 already.

Deleted member 7219

I dislike the fact that everyone seems to want to destroy the world but I hope it gets explained in Cold Steel 4.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Is it only me, or is the ending of Cold Steel 3 very... disappointing? To be precise, I mean events before the final dungeon. Heavy spoilers below for those who didn't play.

For the whole game, there is a slow buildup of tension and intrigue - different factions involved (Osborne, Gnomes, Ouroboros), working against each other, having their own goals. Secrecy, mystery, nothing is known - OK. Gnomes and Ouroboros almost fight with each other at Juno Fortress. The game keeps building this up and making the aura of mystery more and more dense. And then, suddenly, 5min before the final dungeon, all of that is thrown away for the sake of: 'let's all of us combine forces together and work on destroying the world! yay!'. Seriously? WTF was that? I found that totally unbelievable and felt treated like an idiot to be honest.

I've just entered the final dungeon, so if the game changes some of that in the next few hours, please have this in mind (spoiler-wise).

And of course, I was too weak to wait, continued playing CS3 and bought CS4 already.

Don't think any of this is super spoilerish and I haven't played 4 yet, but some thoughts and speculation:

Ouroboros' top interest is to get/extract the sep-terrions (which clearly reside as broken fragments within the Divine Knights as discussed by Roselia's history). The experiments were clearly meant to be a test to of some kind of power induction from the Divine Knights to show that that was where the sep-terrions lay; whilst the Aions were in part powered by Valimar, the intent was to get Rutger's, possibly (Spoiler at the very end)'s and Crow's Knights to be the potential spark each time for each experiment. Clearly they concluded from their experiments that the fragments are with/linked to the Knights, and that they are only going to get these now from the knights is by releasing the curse, presumably forcing conflict between all seven knights so that they can try and extract the fragments as whole sep-terrion and the easiest bit is to support the Gnomes in doing so, although it is unlikely that they have any interest in the end of the world, and certainly don't share the Gnomes'. ... extreme methods as you will probably find out soon enough. It is also clear throughout the game that they are actually trying to hedge their bets, as they clearly have players sitting on both sides of the fence, and are probably guessing that they will be able to stop the gnomes and osborne in their goals.

Also with respect to the Ironbloods, most of them are quite undecided whether this is the right thing to do as they reveal through their dialogue, so it is not like they are all particularly happy about it. In fact it is only because Osborne has "revealed some of the truth to them" that they took part, which one suspects is probably something about that the curse can only be destroyed by first releasing it.

Ventidius

Arbiter
Finished the first Trails of Cold Steel yesterday and started with II today. I chose to import the save data from 1, does that make much of a difference in terms of gameplay or reactivity beyond the items that you get at the start?

jungl

Augur
lol the best thing to come out this shitty franchise is the live action musical. What time is it when rean does that really goofy dance?

cruel

Cipher
They fixed it today, working fine now. Game plays the same (mechanically) as CS3.

For those interested - the game DOES ask you for save data. Not only from CS3, but also CS2 and CS1. So it might we worth to play all on the same platform (not sure about the exact consequences though).

Deleted member 7219

They fixed it today, working fine now. Game plays the same (mechanically) as CS3.

For those interested - the game DOES ask you for save data. Not only from CS3, but also CS2 and CS1. So it might we worth to play all on the same platform (not sure about the exact consequences though).

Good to know for my master play through on PC. Thanks!

I’m still getting it on PS4 regardless.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
If you are planning to play CS4 you should definitely start with nightmare difficulty (cannot change into nightmare after easier mode). I have probably played around 50%+~ and I have died 0 times. By far the easiest game in the whole series (so far at least, I have played all games on nightmare mode and in sky 1-2 I probably 100+ times)

Deleted member 7219

If you are planning to play CS4 you should definitely start with nightmare difficulty (cannot change into nightmare after easier mode). I have probably played around 50%+~ and I have died 0 times. By far the easiest game in the whole series (so far at least, I have played all games on nightmare mode and in sky 1-2 I probably 100+ times)

CS 3 also started easy before significant difficulty spikes later on.

I think I'm going to start on Hard and leave Nightmare to my PC playthrough.

Deleted member 7219

Got an email from NISA yesterday that pre-orders of Cold Steel 4 have been delayed; they are apparently hoping to ship the (original) release week for NISA and November 2nd for NISA Europe.

Have you had an email saying it's been dispatched yet?

I haven't. Sitting at home now hoping I'll get it this week. Taken the entire week off.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Got an email from NISA yesterday that pre-orders of Cold Steel 4 have been delayed; they are apparently hoping to ship the (original) release week for NISA and November 2nd for NISA Europe.

Have you had an email saying it's been dispatched yet?

I haven't. Sitting at home now hoping I'll get it this week. Taken the entire week off.

Sorry mate - no good news :( - I got a followup email on the 27th October saying that they were having no luck, and that the new timing was that they were hoping to ship on the 9th of November, but basically that was not guaranteed. So sorry....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom