Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Deleted member 7219

Got an email from NISA yesterday that pre-orders of Cold Steel 4 have been delayed; they are apparently hoping to ship the (original) release week for NISA and November 2nd for NISA Europe.

Have you had an email saying it's been dispatched yet?

I haven't. Sitting at home now hoping I'll get it this week. Taken the entire week off.

Sorry mate - no good news :( - I got a followup email on the 27th October saying that they were having no luck, and that the new timing was that they were hoping to ship on the 9th of November, but basically that was not guaranteed. So sorry....

I just emailed them and got the same reply. Week beginning 9th November.

Oh well. I'll spend the next 5 days watching Netflix I guess.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Finished the game, quite sure this might be one of the longest kiseki games.

Some thoughts with spoilers:

1. Probably easiest game in the whole series (at least on nightmare) - I wiped only in 1 mandatory end game duel vs self because lack of speed gear and few challenge chests because of insta death / petrify bs with bad gear chars.
  2. Game tries really hard to make you fuck your sister and you get cock blocked by a ghost
  3. Dmg arts can do ridiculous amount of dmg now with right setup more than phys which is first time for CS game I think. Too bad no followup chance -> no BP points and casting time. I just used Emma couple of times to nuke with lost art and then bench for rest of the fight.. Chrono burst breaks the game I would advice not to use this at all. 1 Lost art which recovers 100cp was also great.
  4. Too many mech battles which are boring. Last mech battle would be very brutal without items
  5. Most memorable scene in CS3 gets ruined when no1 dies in the airship crash - guess in Kiseki games no1 dies easily. Oh well I like Oliver but his personality completely changed compared to tits 1-2
  6. I actually prefer normal ending compared to canon ending seems more meaningful. "True" final boss was also a joke easily the easiest in the whole series.
  7. Plot and "villain" characters actions did not make much sense

Still enjoyed this game, CS3 or CS4 I would consider best CS game.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
Grr I hate when a game does that. 3 boss fights in a row, followed by a mandatory teleport right after to a different location. Older CS games used to ask you if you are sure you want to back or do you need more time. I still had one trial chest left plus an item in one of the shops. Are you able to come back in the future, or would I need to re-do all 3 fights now? I mean the ones with this idiot Gilbert and two after that.

First 10h were extremely boring, I'm happy that stuff starts to happen finally.

cruel

Cipher
Thanks.

How come have you already finished the game? You played Japanese version?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Ysaye

Arbiter
Got an email from NISA yesterday that pre-orders of Cold Steel 4 have been delayed; they are apparently hoping to ship the (original) release week for NISA and November 2nd for NISA Europe.

Have you had an email saying it's been dispatched yet?

I haven't. Sitting at home now hoping I'll get it this week. Taken the entire week off.

Sorry mate - no good news :( - I got a followup email on the 27th October saying that they were having no luck, and that the new timing was that they were hoping to ship on the 9th of November, but basically that was not guaranteed. So sorry....

I just emailed them and got the same reply. Week beginning 9th November.

Oh well. I'll spend the next 5 days watching Netflix I guess.

Got a text saying mine is with DHL and on it's way, estimated delivery 16th November.

cruel

Cipher
Why every Trails game needs to start so slow :( I played CS4 for around 16h, out of which 15h is running around highways and killing trash mobs. Whenever I see another highway filled with 20+ mobs, I almost feel like I'm going to work.

Will need to put Juna permanently in bikini costume to make it more tolerable.

jungl

Augur
Problem with falcom they never were exceptional at making games. All their action titles from YS to zwei are inferior Brave Fencer Musashi clones having bad dungeon design and inferior gameplay overall. The company was saved by trails franchise because of how many dweeb anime fans there are that gobble any of that shit. The company never made a name for itself in the west because they suck.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kai versions of Ao and Zero got Steam pages, but don't get your hopes up. These are for Asia only release (Korea and Taiwan, no Japanese and English locs) by Clouded Leopard Entertainment as previously announced.

Cold Steel games also got their own Steam pages for Asian release.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Kai versions of Ao and Zero got Steam pages, but don't get your hopes up. These are for Asia only release (Korea and Taiwan, no Japanese and English locs) by Clouded Leopard Entertainment as previously announced.

Cold Steel games also got their own Steam pages for Asian release.

Does it have Mandarin? Could be a shadow release targeting the YUGE Chinese weeb market, who've been on a buying frenzy lately

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Does it have Mandarin? Could be a shadow release targeting the YUGE Chinese weeb market, who've been on a buying frenzy lately

Only for Taiwan. I think some of them are already released in China on some local platform or something.

Deleted member 7219

I finally got my hands on TOCS IV today.

Very very early impressions half an hour in:

There's a cutscene updating us on the situation in Erebonia (from the citizen's perspective), and then another doing the same in Crossbell. Schera is keeping an eye on things and reporting back to Jona (the computer geek in Crossbell) who in turn updates our heroes: Joshua, Estelle, Renne, Lloyd, Elie and KeA.

It was pretty obvious from all the pre-release marketing that these guys were coming back and it is obvious why. They're going to sort out all the Erebonia shit. Makes sense for Joshua, Estelle and Lloyd to be running the resistance as their power level far exceeds anyone in Class VII, but I expect Class VII will be joining up with them at some point too.

I played past the first fight before I had to get back to work (the intro cutscenes were so long), but it's obvious that TOCS IV is very much a sequel to Trails to Azure as well as TOCS III and my Azure playthrough is only about 50% of the way through. I think I should finish Azure first before jumping into this game.

p.s. Estelle has the best bum in all Trails

Last edited by a moderator:

cruel

Cipher
Rean, what makes you think that their power level exceeds for example Rean's? (hard to write this with nicknames matching lol)

Ysaye

Arbiter
:yeah:

NO MORE REAN

faith in series semi-restored

Hahah - the scene after the one has all of the new Class 7 students trying to remember who it was that was missing in their lives as the struggle under the influence of the curse.

So far through chapter 1 the new class have had some nice development, but there is lots of throwaways to the older games -

who is this silver haired lady Diana of Milsante with a photo on her desk....and that total bade from Remiferia and her red haired friend? as well as "I am not supicious at all" Blind Reporter Nielson is back.

But the number of whingey boys who need to grow a pair - now we not only have that annoying Ouroboros wannabe back, we also have Prince I-Want-The-Power...even Shirley tells him he is a loser.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
, we also have Prince I-Want-The-Power...even Shirley tells him he is a loser.

Yeah I think this fucker is the worst char in entire trails series.

Anyway it has been a while since I finished CS4 and I would consider it best CS game. Not sure if I like CS4 or tits3 more.

My ranking would be something like tits2>ao>tits1>zero>CS4/tits3>CS3>CS1>CS2

cruel

Cipher

Is TitS2 really that good? This is not the first time I read that it's the best in the series. I dropped first TitS after 20h mark or so (spent few hours in Ruan) - I just got bored. Maybe I should force myself to finish it and then try second chapter hmm

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Is TitS2 really that good? This is not the first time I read that it's the best in the series. I dropped first TitS after 20h mark or so (spent few hours in Ruan) - I just got bored. Maybe I should force myself to finish it and then try second chapter hmm
It's worth it imo if you were at least somewhat interested in the story/characters. General consensus agrees that it's worth it for SC alone (and especially worth it for 3rd imo) and honestly, I do look back at FC with a general sense of fondness for it despite its dragging pace a lot of the times. Certainly helps XSEED's ports have turbo in the launcher so it significantly minimizes some of the busy work both FC/SC end up having at times with backtracking. At the same time though, if it wasn't initially interesting you, I'd say it's a hard sell overall to play through the rest of it.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was initially quite disappointed by all the epic shit and dragons n shit introduced by TiTS SC after the fairly low key first part. I also felt it just dragged out way too long for the pretty repetitive content and reused locations from TiTS FC. But it's definitely worth it if you're at all interested in the characters and world of Trails.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

Well Tits1-2 were my first trails game so I might be a little bit biased but I think tits2 is a great game (def. my top5 jrpgs). Tits1 story/characters were a saving grace but if you stopped tits1 after 20h I would not force myself to play it. Combat is tolerable with turbo mode.

If I would try to be objective then I would say that Ao is the best game in trails series. Combat is def. better in zero/ao than sky and both have okay story and great casts. My main problem is with CS that I dont really care about most characters

Ysaye

Arbiter
My favorite quotes from CS4 so far (not sure if I have quite got them downpat):

• "Everyone is holding back until they get a stick in the face!" - Estelle after certain individuals claim they won't hold back
  • "No really - that comment was less than 1% sarcastic" - Altina's response to Juna's complaint that her last comment was full of sarcasm.

Also the "Rean"&Celine&two others reunion party in
the black workshop
was just hilarious, particularly especially if you finish a battle with a link attack between either
Rean and Celine or Duvalie

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom