Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante - obscure Russian narrative RPG

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Well, it's over.

Brante died, his mother died, and his girlfriend got the Fred Burkle treatment (except instead of becoming even hotter she winds up looking like a freak).

On the upside, the uprising was crushed and Brante made sure his family can enjoy being nobles of the Sword. Grandpa is definitely proud of him for that one.

Also, the relationship with Tommas was incredibly homoerotic, and that was before he gave me that "friendship" promise ring.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Got a good ending with Brante leading the revolution and becoming the chief judge of a 10 wealth province.

OTOH my family fell apart. That gave nice bittersweet feeling to the like career and political success. Pretty cool little game. Not sure if I will bother replaying it because it seems that there is a lot of repetitive stuff.

also reading steam forums of pipo seething about getting a shit ending makes me feel smug

text-based games are underdone as hell

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
started playing this. My Nathaniel Brante (which is a funny coincidence because the younger brother is called Nathan.) is still in his adolescence but i already adore this game. surprisingly very well written with good english translation, and while i don't know how major the choices are in the game (but they feel pretty good so far) but it's just good. could easily be a very good low fantasy novel with dostoevsky like atmosphere and his exploration into human character.

as worldbuilding fag i completely in love with the world. unique take on religion/fantasy elements while keeping most of the elements mundane and realistic. it feels like the grittier version of "ascendant of a bookworm" with very strict class divide while the character navigate between the two paths because of his unique life circumstances.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
my first iron man, blind / hidden consequences walktrough.

made it to chapter 4.
chose to become a judge, but killed in a true death after too many scuffles with the darius otto, and died finally defending tommas from 5 assassins.

second playtrough: no iron man, but still use hidden consquences. made it to the last chapter with more or less the same paths, but i am more careful but died during revolution fighting with rebels to the bitter end.

after that i reloaded and activate the stat clues and metagamed myself to the true / best / peaceful revolution ending with everyone survived. such a great game, it was fun and getting the peaceful ending is truly a challenge, but all and all, the blind playtrough, i got to a decent point and got to the end even if i died fighting, but the family and tommas is safe

a little bit theory:

the twins are 100% real, but they are not the only gods. it's hinted at the very beginning with the shadowy presence and the fact the La-Tari exist that can "create worlds" with their own minds. to what extent, i do not know, but i have the feeling other worlds do exist, ruled by different gods. each death, you are confronted by the twins about laws and will, like you can say even history have its own law so the twins do have power, but not absolute.

the teaching about lot is false, since each deaths, the twin do confront you of how you have lived, but they never really tell "you dont follow your lot" they do give people free will and if your interpretation of how to live is to follow the law or not, doesnt make difference to the twins. i found them quite a fair gods, although a little bit aloof and disconnected.

the most interesting thing is
in true death, after being judged by the twin, the player's POV changed from that is of brante to the gods. no matter how and where you die the last time, it is the player that decide, as the gods if brante will go to the peak of the pillars or the bottom. i don't quite get the symbolism in this, maybe just a meta commentary how the world revolve around the player, controlling brante as a character and they have the most freedom in this world, since the gam explore the theme of freedom, duties and obligation that binds everyone, including the arknians, they are free, but not free due to devices of mankind's own making (the blood tide, the lots, etc). dunno

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
the twins are 100% real, but they are not the only gods
Well, the existence of the Twins isn't really up to discussion, what with the Shining Pillar, Priestly Lot wielding their miracles and lets not forget people rising from the dead. Twins weren't the only gods, but they are now. "Such is the triumph of Will over will". La Tari sought to exercise their own will and challenge their power so the Twins destroyed them and other nations that followed "false" gods.

the teaching about lot is false
sfhxDpA.png

Lots aren't so much false, as they are an interpretation by Prophet Isatius of an answer he received from the Younger to a question about His Law. New Believers argue that the faithful must find their own way to the Twins, not necessarily following the Lots, as outlined by Isatius. Twins, however, do accept the Lots as a "righteous life" the Younger commanded the faithful to live - as evidenced by their sanctifying of the Sacraments of the Lots in Their temples.

i found them quite a fair gods, although a little bit aloof and disconnected.
Twins live by their own Lots, Younger by the Lot of the Law and the Elder by the Lot of Love - one which he obeys even in breach of the Law.
W3gCrtz.png

"The nature of Will lies in struggle, in mastery, in power over everything". Two holy books written by Isatius twelve years after the Twins' premature departure from the world are the foundation of the worship of the Twins in the Empire as confirmed by the Third Council. Truth is, in his twilight years, Prophet Isatius wrote a third book, the Book of Will, wherein he outlined the Will as supreme aspect of the Twins. "It was in the struggle between the Wills of the Elder and the Younger that our world was born". These teachings frightened the holy fathers of the Church which in its earliest days banned and buried them in obscurity. It is considered an extremely dangerous, though practically extinct Willist heresy.

the shadowy presence
The Shadow is Sir Brante, ascended to Godhood by the strength of his Will.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
the twins are 100% real, but they are not the only gods
Well, the existence of the Twins isn't really up to discussion, what with the Shining Pillar, Priestly Lot wielding their miracles and lets not forget people rising from the dead. Twins weren't the only gods, but they are now. "Such is the triumph of Will over will". La Tari sought to exercise their own will and challenge their power so the Twins destroyed them and other nations that followed "false" gods.

the teaching about lot is false
sfhxDpA.png

Lots aren't so much false, as they are an interpretation by Prophet Isatius of an answer he received from the Younger to a question about His Law. New Believers argue that the faithful must find their own way to the Twins, not necessarily following the Lots, as outlined by Isatius. Twins, however, do accept the Lots as a "righteous life" the Younger commanded the faithful to live - as evidenced by their sanctifying of the Sacraments of the Lots in Their temples.

i found them quite a fair gods, although a little bit aloof and disconnected.
Twins live by their own Lots, Younger by the Lot of the Law and the Elder by the Lot of Love - one which he obeys even in breach of the Law.
W3gCrtz.png

"The nature of Will lies in struggle, in mastery, in power over everything". Two holy books written by Isatius twelve years after the Twins' premature departure from the world are the foundation of the worship of the Twins in the Empire as confirmed by the Third Council. Truth is, in his twilight years, Prophet Isatius wrote a third book, the Book of Will, wherein he outlined the Will as supreme aspect of the Twins. "It was in the struggle between the Wills of the Elder and the Younger that our world was born". These teachings frightened the holy fathers of the Church which in its earliest days banned and buried them in obscurity. It is considered an extremely dangerous, though practically extinct Willist heresy.

the shadowy presence
The Shadow is Sir Brante, ascended to Godhood by the strength of his Will.
Are these from the priest path?

Codex Year of the Donut
heavy railroading though which is kinda annoying
branching narrative is much closer to AoD tier in that you pick a railroad track and choo choo off you go

stats mean very little, if the game wants you to die you die, even if you'd magically beat the same person in a duel with the same valor later on in the story

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
heavy railroading though which is kinda annoying
I really started noticing the railroading only in the last chapter, which serves more as a final wrap-up of your story than anything else. Before that, sure, you almost always have a "good" and "bad" choice depending on your goal, but you also have multiple goals (winning the revolution, keeping your family united, getting ennobled, handling your relationships...), so you have to choose how to balance things out.

Unless you were only talking about picking your path, then yeah.

On an unrelated note: I haven't tried the priest path yet, but so far the main underlying theme of the game seems to be that women are crazy.

Codex Year of the Donut
on ironman
you'll regret this
more than a few times I got into a game over I couldn't avoid because of choices made way earlier and needed to redo the chapter

Goes with what I said about it not being an RPG, many of your stats simply don't matter until they do. Great duelist but the game doesn't care? Too bad.

Excellent world/characters though. Very memorable.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
I wasn't expecting the game to be about the fucking French Revolution, that was surprising. My playthrough has been a disaster, as expected with those settings (ironman and hidden consequences), but I never regret it. I think I'm still half-way through, it's way longer than I thought.

I should have screenshoted the typos, I caught like 3 or 4.

quixotic

Learned
I still need to replay this game and actually live through to the end, I always end up dying in the last Chapter.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
I still need to replay this game and actually live through to the end, I always end up dying in the last Chapter.
My first playthrough was a disaster, as I said.

4NR0wuV.png

This was my rarest achievement, with only 10% of the players getting it.

d6ubVHx.png

I'll replay the game eventually, thought it was really fun and well made despite my failure. Congrats to the devs!

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, I have been holding off on the next playthrough for quire a while yet. I am not sure I can handle the kind of feels this game gives me all that often.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom