Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Lord of the Rings Online - Corsairs of Umbar expansion out now

ADL

Prophet
The deal of the century is back. Mordor is now a dollar too.
The Coupon Code is: LOTROQUESTS2021 (1/Account, available to redeem through November 30th, 2021)
This Coupon Code will grant the following to your game account:

• Quest Pack: Central Gondor
  • Quest Pack: East Gondor
  • Quest Pack: West Gondor
  • Quest Pack: Wildermore
  • Quest Pack: Angmar
  • Quest Pack: Enedwaith
  • Quest Pack: Eregion
  • Quest Pack: Evendim
  • Quest Pack: Forochel
  • Quest Pack: Eriador Bundle
  • Quest Pack: Misty Mountains
  • Quest Pack: North Downs
  • Quest Pack: Trollshaws
  • Quest Pack: Lothlorien
  • Quest Pack: Great River
  • Quest Pack: Old Anórien
  • Region Pack: Far Anórien
  • Quest Pack: March of the King
  • Quest Pack: Battle of the Black Gate
  • Quest Pack: Legacy of the Necromancer
  • Quest Pack: Where Dragons Dwell
  • Quest Pack: The Vales of Anduin
  • Quest Pack: Mists of Wilderland
  • Quest Pack: The Wildwood
  • The Further Adventures of Bilbo Baggins
  • Quest Pack: The Blood of Azog
Additionally, enjoy a limited time sale on select Expansion quests in the LOTRO Store where you will be able to pick up the following items for only 99 points through November 30th, 2021:

• Expansion Quests: Mines of Moria
  • Expansion Quests: Siege of Mirkwood
  • Expansion Quests: Rise of Isengard
  • Expansion Quests: Riders of Rohan
  • Expansion Quests: Helm's Deep
  • Instance Cluster: Rise of Isengard
  • Instance Cluster: Riders of Rohan
  • Expansion Quests: Mordor

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
I've accepted that they will never rework their terrible monetization scheme because they're ran by absolute idiots.

Grab the free content while you can, LotRO is easily the best adaptation of LotR that exists(and probably will for quite a while considering the way its being taken)
It's based on BOOK content only, not movie content. Yeah, the game has some rough edges and the combat can feel a bit janky, but it's worth it to explore Middle Earth.

Been a long time since I last played (2012) so some questions. Is the cost still $7.99 or does the coupon confer those packs as a freebie? Is the code applied in the in-game store? Are the Quest packs for the expansions the same as buying the full expansions?
I remember the point system being something you could earn on a freemium account by doing things in game, does it still work like that?

ADL

Prophet
Codes are applied in-game but you might be able to redeem on the website. Not sure. Coupon for the 26 packs is entirely free. The expansion quest packs are 594TP equaling a little under 7.99 in value so you only need to buy the cheapest pack if you don't have some leftover already. The expansion quest packs don't include the retail purchase benefits like getting extra character slots, high elf race or beorning class, just access to all the content including instances and raids etc.

You can make points off deeds but unless you're super broke, I wouldn't recommend that being your source of points because you'll spend a ridiculous time grinding that out. It's nice if you have 230 points leftover and you want something that costs 240 in a pinch.

There's a little more that you'd need to get but worry about that when you're in the level 100-110 range a thousand hours of play from now.

Codes are applied in-game but you might be able to redeem on the website. Not sure. Coupon for the 26 packs is entirely free. The expansion quest packs are 594TP equaling a little under 7.99 in value so you only need to buy the cheapest pack if you don't have some leftover already. The expansion quest packs don't include the retail purchase benefits like getting extra character slots, high elf race or beorning class, just access to all the content including instances and raids etc.

You can make points off deeds but unless you're super broke, I wouldn't recommend that being your source of points because you'll spend a ridiculous time grinding that out. It's nice if you have 230 points leftover and you want something that costs 240 in a pinch.

There's a little more that you'd need to get but worry about that when you're in the level 100-110 range a thousand hours of play from now.

Thanks for the information, man. I was subbed back then so I may still have a stockpile of unspent points from the monthly stipends anyway, unless my memory invented that.

ADL

Prophet
For what it's worth I never bought TP but I subscribed a couple months and when I logged in today I had 6400 points, enough to buy the two expansions this promo didn't include. I'll need to pay cash for Gundabad later but I'll worry about that in a year or two.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Beorn race seems to be free to play now unlike those Mordor Dorfs.

Speaking of Dorfs I found my ancient account and have only 20 points there...

:negative:

What is better bang for Zion-bux to sub for 3 months or to buy points Comrades? I would like to try this hoplite (Warden) class it should be less slog than my Guardian, are those included in subscription too?

Checked its 1500 turbine points for 30 ZB vs 1600 points for 20 ZB but the former gives you other goodies I can grind enough during those three months (Grinding will be much less painful when subbed) to buy expansions and later warden with no problem.

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nice, I grabbed the free quests, I'm just not sure I'll have time to play any time soonish.

Are the other quest packs worth buying at a dollar? How much of a discount is that from the regular price?

ADL

Prophet
The expansions for 600TP you're saving 13,870 points which is a little over a hundred bucks. I'd definitely recommend the expansions for the eight dollars if there's even a slight chance you'd stick with the game.
God knows how much the free quest packs add up to but I'd imagine $300-$400 minimum.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The expansions for 600TP you're saving 13,870 points which is a little over a hundred bucks. I'd definitely recommend the expansions for the eight dollars if there's even a slight chance you'd stick with the game.
God knows how much the free quest packs add up to but I'd imagine $300-$400 minimum.

I'm p. sure I'll play it eventually, which is why I'm considering the $8 price tag. I waste more money than that on coffee in the morning ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Your numbers might as well be toilet paper math for all I understand about the monetization of the game.

So, the eight expansions are normally $100 dollars, but I can get them for $8 right now?

In what universe does this make any sort of economic sense. Have they ever seen a high school economics supply and demand curve.

I'm assuming the TP you are referring to are the store points, ie. those gold currency you get for completing quests or buying them at $1 per 100.

One thing I wanted clarification on is that if you buy the expansion, like say the Expansion: Rise of Isengard or Expansion: Riders of Rohan, shouldn't it include the instance clusters and the quest packs.

I guess what I'm saying is, people should buy the Expansions for 99 coins / store points, not the quest packs or instance packs. P. sure thats how that is.

If that's the case, I guess I'll drop six dollars because I think two of those on the list above are redundant. I would also like to take a moment to thank SSG for making buying shit in this game so straightforward and easy to understand.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I'm p. sure I'll play it eventually, which is why I'm considering the $8 price tag. I waste more money than that on coffee in the morning ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Your numbers might as well be toilet paper math for all I understand about the monetization of the game.

So, the eight expansions are normally $100 dollars, but I can get them for $8 right now?

In what universe does this make any sort of economic sense.

It's called Market Segmentation. Once costs have been covered and a profit turned, it's worth selling some of your stuff really cheaply to people who otherwise wouldn't have bought it at the full price. It's why there are occasional super cheap sales.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron

In what universe does this make any sort of economic sense.

It's called Market Segmentation. Once costs have been covered and a profit turned, it's worth selling some of your stuff really cheaply to people who otherwise wouldn't have bought it at the full price. It's why there are occasional super cheap sales.

I've heard of this, and my go to image is always drug pricing because kwa is retarded and sells a drug here for thousands of dollars when you can cross into mexico and buy it for less than $10. I don't think market segmentation makes sense when applied to an aging mmo like this though.

They are acting like the value of their game doesn't depreciate. Even with these massive sales, I doubt there are as many new players joining the game as there could be if a more reasonable price scheme existed.

Their segmentation is basically the "whale" new player / Long Time game fanatic, or the bargain basement cuck (my category) who might play for a bit then drop off the map.

It might make sense in an aging mmo that requires co-op to play so you get the temporary burst of players, but in a game like LOTR online, 99% of the game is solo until much later (if ever). Deep discount sales are rarely a good sign for a game and usually point to some other goal besides increasing profits beyond the normal buyer category.

For some reason I doubt they've performed a sophisticated economic analysis on the game, but maybe there is some masterful plan hidden in the monetization scheme. I will ponder this when I play in the future.

Bought it all. Turns out I still had around 3000 points left over from my hay-day of playing back in the winter of 2011-12.
I always meant to go back, wander the paths of Breeland... visit Rivendell... See the Misty Mountains again. Sure do miss the friends I used to play it with. Someday I'll get back into it.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's a wonderful thing. I may never play the game agai (I played it a lot years ago), but it's nice to know that Middle Earth is more or less open to me if and when I do revisit it.

GreyViper

Prophet
I think we also got something when they did something similar with DDO way back. But went and redeemed te code and saw I had 520 Ring bucks lying around so got most expansion except Mirkwood and Isengard one.
Anyway, this video describes what you get with this coupon.

Last edited:
Kinda doubt I'll play this, but I bothered to dig up my ancient F2P account and reinstall the game to punch the code in. I had the old Steely Dan starter pack so I had 500 good boy points so I was able to pick up all the expansions except Mordor I guess. I do vaguely remember enjoying the world but the gameplay was MMO as hell and bored me to tears like every other MMO. Sort of a shame it's not a code for massive piles of DDO content since that one always interested me a hair more but I do appreciate the heads up in the Steam thread about the code.

Been playing a little here and there for the hell of it since I already installed it for the code and having a better time of it than I expected. I suppose all previous times I'd tried LotRO it was with others and there was more of a drive to level up, but just farting around and actually reading all the quests and taking my time it's better. Still ridiculously easy braindead MMO combat at low level but since there's no subscription or other players to try to give me drive to play fast I've been enjoying it more. I half-assed feel like I should play faster so I could get points from deeds to buy the two instance cluster packs and the Mordor quests but at the same time I highly doubt I'll be playing this long enough for that to really matter anyway. Supposedly Bree-land has enough points available in deeds to get me those three so the question comes down to if I'll play enough LotRO before December to scrape together 300 points for them.

Doing a loremaster since being a dork with a pet sounds fine and probably decent for soloing. Which if it comes down to it I may just spend 100 points on Mordor and say to hell with instance clusters since that sounds like it's all group content which I'd doubt even more strongly that I'll ever do.

Edit: And I spoke a bit too soon, because sitting down to play a bit more this evening and the inventory send me into a frothing rage much like ESO. Shitty inventories are the #1 killer of MMOs. Liked seeing the world and quests in ESO too but the inventory was so terrible I couldn't stand it, and LotRO's looking the same.

Last edited:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's wrong with inventory? Aside from the starting limit and large number of items (which $$$ fixes).
You can customize it, use bags, lock items, sort, even filter drops. I don't think there is a build-in customized sort/group feature, maybe there is a plugin for that.

Last edited:
What's wrong with inventory? Aside from the starting limit and large number of items (which $$$ fixes).
That's it. Some casual browsing seems to indicate the smoothest bet would be subscribe for a month for $15 to get 500 good boy points, move from 45 to 75 inventory slots, and have uncapped gold but then I have to ask myself if I want to spend $15 on LotRO and the answer's a fairly easy no. It's made slightly worse because with no experience with the game I'm left holding some stuff wondering if any of it is useful later or worth trying to sell on the AH but the inventory's just too tight for that. Guess I may just skip crafting entirely and sell basically everything except consumables to vendors and just noodle along while I can, assuming inventory rage doesn't put me off entirely.

Kinda looks like they also do the ESO thing of offering you an optional crafting-only inventory because they know the crafting systems will dump ridiculous piles of items on you. Which as much as I don't begrudge them trying to make money off the game I do have a short fuse for making a problem and then selling the solution.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
How challenging and balanced is this compared to Everquest or classic WoW?

Are players prone to falling asleep when trying to complete standard quests or is the regular gameplay engaging enough? Is partying a must?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom