Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Rhalle

Magister
Damnit, man, it was no ordinary picture of a gay parade.

It was from a gay parade that happened today, and two fellows were carrying a banner emblazoned with the EA logo on a gay pride rainbow; it even had Commander Shepard on it.

It was a fine piece of internetting on my part, and now it's ruined forever.

Edit: oh, for some reason it's back again. Hmn.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
As for the Council, they do not openly recognise the existence of the Reapers in the ending, only that "Sovereign and the geth" as well as Saren were responsible for the attack on the Citadel. Only Shepard and Anderson state that the Reapers are still a threat. Besides the Council members are shown to be caricatures of politicians, so it should come as no surprise that had they recognised the existence of the Reapers they would go back on this once the immediate threat is over.
Meanwhile, in a place ME rips off all the time...

... Things make a helluva lot more sense.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Even if they managed to rebuild Shepard, how come Shepard has all knowledge and memories of previous Shepard? BioWare basically ripped off Dune's ancestral memory shtick, without the nuance that a newly born ghola needs to unlock memories of his/her previous life first through a severe mental shock. This could actually have been an interesting mechanic in Turd Effect 2 (they could have ripped off the Animus from AssCreed while they were at it), but of course BioWare didn't use this.

DraQ

Arcane
Even if they managed to rebuild Shepard, how come Shepard has all knowledge and memories of previous Shepard? BioWare basically ripped off Dune's ancestral memory shtick, without the nuance that a newly born ghola needs to unlock memories of his/her previous life first through a severe mental shock. This could actually have been an interesting mechanic in Turd Effect 2 (they could have ripped off the Animus from AssCreed while they were at it), but of course BioWare didn't use this.
They scrapped Shep's awesome extra-crispy brain matter from across the entire crash site into a bucket and extracted the informashun from it using sufficiently large array of oscillating hands.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Mass Effect 3 and Bioware writers reminds me of Ed Wood for some reason...

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Ed Wood was a real:pete:

glen-or-glenda.jpg

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
You see Shepard's body entering the atmosphere of the planet in ME2's opening. There's not really many possibilities other than crashing once Shepard is in the planet's gravity.

Does it clearly enter the atmosphere?
Don't you find Shepard's helmet planetside later on?

Good point. I guessed the body crashed with the ship then.

Meanwhile, in a place ME rips off all the time...

If you have to copy something, copy the good stuff. No shame in that.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
According to the ME wiki,

So yeah. I don't know what methane and ammonia do to exposed decomposing human flesh, but I imagine it isn't good.
Well, the more hostile environment, the better as long as it doesn't corrode, dissolve or burn the body on its own, as it would kill the microbes and stop decomposition.

Still, we have a body heating up and partially ablating on reentry then crashing into a fucking glacier at pretty much Earth's terminal velocity, assuming it has braked enough (surface gravity and atmospheric pressure of the planet are approximately Earth-like).

That's pretty harsh.

And even without oxygen (so no actual burning), getting cooked in at least several hundred Celsius (generously assuming that hardsuit keeps most of the heat out even after loss of hermetic seal) is pretty bad for the revival chances, especially when followed by pancaking on glacier.

You see Shepard's body entering the atmosphere of the planet in ME2's opening. There's not really many possibilities other than crashing once Shepard is in the planet's gravity.
Shepardcopter?

Didn't they find bits from the Columbia astronauts and when Challenger's crew hit the sea they were still intact enough to have had detailed autopsies done that suggested they were still alive at the point of impact(though unconscious)? Now it's a 1 in a million chance that something like the revival of Shepard could be possible, but when taking into account future tech and the 'luck' that all heroes in all heroic tales have(meaning that the hero will inevitably on more than one occasion be on the right side of such fantastical odds), then I don't see this resurrection as being all that improbable. Of all the myriad of gripes I have with ME, this is actually quite low on the list.

DraQ

Arcane
Technically, why wouldn't it? Shepard's ejection couldn't create that much of a velocity difference, if Normandy crashed so should Shepard.

And finally, even assuming there was a reason to have Shepard die, did he/she have to *crash* into a planet. Why not simply have Shepard's corpsicle and Normandy's wreck circling the planet in orbit prior to recovery of the former?

So what's the reason? Because the ability to say "I think Mass Effect is a pretty cool guy. Eh resruects from charred blot on a glacier and doesnt afraid of anything." doesn't quite cut it.

Didn't they find bits from the Columbia astronauts and when Challenger's crew hit the sea they were still intact enough to have had detailed autopsies done that suggested they were still alive at the point of impact(though unconscious)? Now it's a 1 in a million chance that something like the revival of Shepard could be possible, but when taking into account future tech and the 'luck' that all heroes in all heroic tales have(meaning that the hero will inevitably on more than one occasion be on the right side of such fantastical odds), then I don't see this resurrection as being all that improbable. Of all the myriad of gripes I have with ME, this is actually quite low on the list.
Don't know about Columbia, but Challenger wasn't reentering, its cockpit stayed pretty much intact right until impact and crew being alive was deduced from oxygen consumption as there were barely any bits left and even less found.

As for Columbia, replace damaged heat shield with shep's damaged suit and realize that there was much less Shepard to ablate than there was the shuttle (in terms of mass/heat capacity).

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
No guys don't you get it Shepard's personal shield protected them even though mass effect shields don't work that way.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Technically, why wouldn't it? Shepard's ejection couldn't create that much of a velocity difference, if Normandy crashed so should Shepard.

And finally, even assuming there was a reason to have Shepard die, did he/she have to *crash* into a planet. Why not simply have Shepard's corpsicle and Normandy's wreck circling the planet in orbit prior to recovery of the former?

So what's the reason? Because the ability to say "I think Mass Effect is a pretty cool guy. Eh resruects from charred blot on a glacier and doesnt afraid of anything." doesn't quite cut it.

Don't know about Columbia, but Challenger wasn't reentering, its cockpit stayed pretty much intact right until impact and crew being alive was deduced from oxygen consumption as there were barely any bits left and even less found.

As for Columbia, replace damaged heat shield with shep's damaged suit and realize that there was much less Shepard to ablate than there was the shuttle (in terms of mass/heat capacity).

Sigh. I was going to add that of course Challenger didn't actually re-enter but had assumed that that was obvious enough to not need explaining. The point was that they hit the ocean at what, 200G's and still were identifiable enough to have autopsies done on them and given to their respective families. From all the various reports, there was actually a decent amount of 'material' found. Less so with Columbia of course, but still, we're talking about Shepard; humanity's hero.

If anyone was going to make that 1 in a billion chance of entering the atmosphere at exactly the right angle after being snap frozen with a non-vital part of the body sealed exactly in the hole of the space suit to give those extra crucial milliseconds to get into the atmosphere and take the brunt of the burning up with the suit then tearing in exactly the right way to form a crude airbrake thus slowing down Shepard's descent while friendly gusts took him to land in the softest of snowdrifts, it was going to be him. To be honest, such things happen with heroes all the time.

DraQ

Arcane
If anyone was going to make that 1 in a billion chance of entering the atmosphere at exactly the right angle after being snap frozen with a non-vital part of the body sealed exactly in the hole of the space suit
When subjected to horrid pressure of air compressed during reentry trying to push it out of the hole? With this air heating up so much it becomes plasma?

Also the non-vital part of the body sealing the hole would be neck. With quite a bit of luck it might be possible to retrieve Shepard's foot. Maybe even both.

Deleted member 7219

I always thought that Shepard's body was in orbit and managed to stay pressurised long enough to minimise tissue damage. Then Liara and her friend picked up the body pretty quickly. Of course that doesn't explain how the helmet and chestplate wound up on the planet's surface, but I thought they were just spares. My Shepard picked up a lot of armour in ME1.

Notorious

Augur
Can we all agree that it was pure scifi bullshit? I mean, we don't really need to discuss the detail of this fecal matter. Really it makes no sense like so many things in ME2. (GIANT SKELETON!!!!!)

Malpercio

Arcane
DLC ending comes out today bros!

Are you excited? I know i am. Will Bioware manage to fuck things even more? Will indoctrination fucktards finally shut up and admit Bioware fucked up? Will i have to replay the boring-ass ending sequence?

1zzho3b.jpg

Also, a plot hole and/or Ashley's vagina ate Kaidan!

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

EAware's writers are certainly on the same level as Wood. The whole derp of giant machines killing organics to prevent them from creating machines that kill organics is right up there with Plan 9's plot of aliens raising the dead to stop humans from creating a bomb that destroys the universe.

They're also on Tommy Wiseau's level when it comes to writing romances.

hiver

The only good thing about this is that smudboy will have to review it.

poor bastard...

EAware's writers are certainly on the same level as Wood. The whole derp of giant machines killing organics to prevent them from creating machines that kill organics is right up there with Plan 9's plot of aliens raising the dead to stop humans from creating a bomb that destroys the universe.

No, Plan9 plot is smarter. It actually makes sense.
It would be the same if aliens raised dead to prevent humans from raising the dead. full stop.

And yeah, human derper was cringe worthy.
You have to give it to them... or, well...whoever wrote the script for the first one. Sovereign saying humans cannot ever hope to understand Reapers turned out to be the truth. Reapers ... the force of stupidity of such magnanimosity that it cannot be understood. By anyone!

Only it went to be even bigger than that. I cant understand a fucking thing about any of it.

Deleted member 7219

Not sure why the human Reaper inspires such rage. The Reapers need to reproduce somehow. Also, they have to have a reason to harvest every organic species in the galaxy. Doesn't it make sense that every cycle they make new editions of themselves from the races they massacre? It is much better than the Starchild's "REAPERS KILL YOU SO SYNTHETICS DON'T KILL YOU LOL" explanation.

Notorious

Augur
Not sure why the human Reaper inspires such rage. The Reapers need to reproduce somehow. Also, they have to have a reason to harvest every organic species in the galaxy. Doesn't it make sense that every cycle they make new editions of themselves from the races they massacre? It is much better than the Starchild's "REAPERS KILL YOU SO SYNTHETICS DON'T KILL YOU LOL" explanation.

So what makes humans such a good model for super weapons. I don't know because they didn't tell me.
If you know anything about human physiology you would know that it's VERY flawed. How exactly is making a human body liquid going to create anything useful? Especially when compared to a cybernetic über race which is 10 of thousands years old. (Which is (supposedly) specialized to destroy anything living)

The reason they did it is to "shock" players with the cruel way the reapers and/or harvester use humans and to have skeletor as an end boss. It's a dumb flawed concept which uses the tag "scifi" to hide their lucid idiotic "visions".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom