Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
ME3 has the most C&C and that's just a FACT.
'Sup Volourn.

even if we consider the game itself (with stories and characters which are not tied to the main plot(s)/do not continue in another game), ME3 still has the most of C&C...
ME3 has the most C&C because Bioware didn't bother including any in the first two games on the assumption that everything would pay off in ME3, then all of ME3's C&C comes down to an email or cameo, or 3 insultingly similar endings. So yeah.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is C&C with regards to the genophage.

Also, in ME2 there are consequences with regards to if you played the whole game (loyalty missions) and if you are retarded at the end with your choices.

Those are the only interesting ones I can remember, but I gave up on ME3 half-way though.

ME3 does have some C&C in side-missions, but... lol that ending. If ME3 hadn't ended the trilogy like that then you could console yourself with the fact that your choices in the side missions actually mattered, but the ME3 ending basically makes everything irrelevant.

ME2 had an arguably more retarded plot (outside of the ending) and worse side missions overall, but I'd rate it equal with ME3 because at least the retardation was localized and didn't screw up the entire galaxy and the game that came before it.

ME1 had plausibly interesting Sci-Fi/Fantasy plot. Combat was worse overall but at least the powers and weapon mods felt cool and sci-fiy rather than the entire game being CoD with shinier hardware. Main problem was the side missions being 90% copy pasted driving around procedurally generated worlds and shooting random shit. The procedurally generated worlds looked cool though.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There is some nice C&C in the games. I killed Mordin, Wrex and a bunch of other people that alternatively could be your best buddies if you made different choices. ME2 kind of lacks any real weighty stuff but it's a middle chapter so, whatever. None of it is Witcher 2 level of consequence where a whole town is different but it's pretty decent for such a game.

Dragon Age 2 is the one with no real C&C at all, completely fake from top to bottom.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Average Manatee, the ending of Mass Effect 2 was actually the most retarded part. I mean, doesn't the me lore go completely off the deep end once they show that the collector-made reaper is not just a skeleton, for absolutely no logical reason, but also made out of milkshake'd humans.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It has most C&C though; if You're Lost All Loyalty Missions you died as well; plus it was like watching B class Space Opera with no White Knighting and ''Social Justice'' BS; Retarted but fun to play; The games where Biowhore tried to be serious ended up most retarded anyway So ME2 and Jade Empire are their best games evar.

Grinolf

Arcane
What was interesting in ME1 story? Right from the begining it was just another "saving the galaxy/Universe/Earth from evil aliens" story without any hint of creativity. The only good part was about Citadel's role in genocide, but then ME3 came out and fucked up that part too.

eremita

Savant
What was interesting in ME1 story? Right from the begining it was just another "saving the galaxy/Universe/Earth from evil aliens" story without any hint of creativity. The only good part was about Citadel's role in genocide, but then ME3 came out and fucked up that part too.
I would say that it (story itself) was overall pretty well thought out. It was logical and it has awesome twist. The idea behind Citadel being a trap is actually quite clever imho.

It's nothing special but it is coherent. And I don't take that for granted, especially nowadays...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You got to LARP being an action hero in a Star Trek/Babylon 5 esque universe. Which is unusually rare in video games, and then often even more terrible than ME when it is done.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What was interesting in ME1 story?

Nothing. It was very boring and sometimes just stupid. OMG, ancient machines are returning and they want to kill everybody - for no particular reason :troll: The setting was interesting though, and I liked ME1 atmoshere. It was a good adventure, very enjoyable, like KOTOR. Also, the story wasn't really that important in ME1. They kept it the same way in ME2 (it was basically a game about your companions with some interesting missions). In ME3 though, you can't escape from the 'story' (which became only worse - they actually managed to make it even worse after ME2 retardation, imagine that!). This is its weakest point because you are always reminded about those stupid Reapers that are coming to kick your ass and there is no time to just relax and play the game as you want. Some missions in ME3 were good, but overall it was terrible.

Grinolf

Arcane
You got to LARP being an action hero in a Star Trek/Babylon 5 esque universe. Which is unusually rare in video games, and then often even more terrible than ME when it is done.
Well, I liked Babylon 5 (althought it has its own share of stupid things), but still didn't enjoyed ME, since it was too lazy at copying B5. Like they didn't even try to buid up Reapers before introducing them in the story. Instead player informed about them in like 10 minutes after starting game. And the only attempt to make them intriguing was that "You can't comprehend our motives" quote. And that alone didn't make them look interesting, only promised, that somewhere in the future they turn out to be interesting. Political aspect, that was important in Babylon 5, is also absent in ME and Council are reduced to mere plot device, that make main character life harder by its incompetence, and not as result of some intrigues, as it should been.

And I don't see much similarities between ME1 and Star Treck. Although it probably would be much better, if ME was more Star Trek like instead of having that big epic storyline, that didn't work.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If Bioware had built ME1 with a decent game engine we'd probably have loads of total conversion mods by now.

Caim

Arcane
I entered Mass Effect 1 with zero knowledge about the game. I was pleasantly surprised: I liked the mix of third-person shooting and RPG mechanics that actually made me look forward to leveling up and increasing my skills. I got to the citadel, turned right after leaving the ambassador's office and ran into the Volus and Elcor embassy. Oh my god, something new and refreshing! Hanar and Salarians and Asari and Krogan and a Quariand and a massive sod-off space station and ancient giant murderbot cuttlefish! A large diversity of aliens in a setting where it is not "humans and allies vs aliens" with people actually being different from one another! It was quite a lot like KOTOR, but new! And the people could all actually speak English, and not just the guys on my team while all the others of their race speak in gibberish (I'm looking at you, Mission Vao!)

Then Mass Effect 2 rolled around. Hm, a group of not-racist humans running a PMC who claim to do everything for the greater good. Okay I guess. Vorcha and Drell and hardass space cops. Pretty cool. Collectors? Eh. DLC ranged between meh to OH YEAH LAIR OF THE SHADOW BROKER. Inventory stripped out and reduced to only a few guns (which on one hand got rid of a clusterfuck, but on the other changed the gunplay completely), RPG elements stripped down to only a few upgradable attacks (and only 31 points for a total of 40 for my squad? The fuck?). Less focus on aliens and more on Team Shepard, of whom not all member struck a chord with me.

Then Mass Effect 3 arrived. Generic doomsday invasion by aliens whose numbers are far too small to actually pose a legit threat in a short time span. Meh. No new races (except a race of bird people mentioned in passing in the side materials who had to wear airtight suits because they gave everyone around them bird flu) except for female members of a until that point fully male race and an angry Roman Jamaican, Team Shepard disbanded and all over the place for a number of reasons of varying quality, combat made less bad and the guys on board the Normandy more interesting because they also interact now, story was made a whole lot less interesting, fanservice where there needed not be and some outright uninteresting side missions. And the climax of the series made no sense.

Overall, Mass Effect 1 was good because it was an adventure. Mass Effect 2 was Shepard the gun-toting psychiatrist, and Mass Effect 3 was Revenge of the Zombie Robots from Space.

Riel

Arcane
I'm not gonna argue about things that are obviously subjective (story, characters, combat etc.) regarding ME2/3 because that would end up being just another dick measuring with no conlcusion... But that part about C&C is just not true. ME3 has the most C&C and that's just a FACT. Check out the wiki... Sure, I'm not being fair because it's supposed to be a trilogy, but even if we consider the game itself (with stories and characters which are not tied to the main plot(s)/do not continue in another game), ME3 still has the most of C&C...

Aaaaand I'm done.
Only all the C&C is wrong and flavourous at most with no bearing in the story. I prefer limited but meaningfull C&C than ME3's "u screwed that or that" (thake screwed in all senses since they all apply :P)

Average Manatee, the ending of Mass Effect 2 was actually the most retarded part. I mean, doesn't the me lore go completely off the deep end once they show that the collector-made reaper is not just a skeleton, for absolutely no logical reason, but also made out of milkshake'd humans.

I was comparing ME2 to ME3. The endings were the most retarded part of each, but the ME3 ending was more retarded.

Because a simple plot executed decently far outstrips throwing random shit on the screen until it sticks, which is what the ME2 and ME3 stories were all about. And ME3 fucking up stuff that happened in ME1/2 is ME3's failure, not theirs.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
What was interesting in ME1 story? Right from the begining it was just another "saving the galaxy/Universe/Earth from evil aliens" story without any hint of creativity.
Actually, right from the beginning it was an investigation. Then it was chasing down a rogue agent. THEN, after the twist about 3/4ths in, it was saving the galaxy. The mere fact that this fits the definition of "story" puts ME1 firmly ahead of its sequels and most of the competition.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The 70's sci-fi music and look is probably what makes me forgive the genre cliches. Also I don't think cliche automatically means bad.

Grinolf

Arcane
Because a simple plot executed decently far outstrips throwing random shit on the screen until it sticks, which is what the ME2 and ME3 stories were all about. And ME3 fucking up stuff that happened in ME1/2 is ME3's failure, not theirs.

But it didn't make ME1 plot more interesting than ME2 and ME3 ones, only less annoying.

Actually, right from the beginning it was an investigation. Then it was chasing down a rogue agent. THEN, after the twist about 3/4ths in, it was saving the galaxy. The mere fact that this fits the definition of "story" puts ME1 firmly ahead of its sequels and most of the competition.

It could be called like that, but only if they didn't tell about reapers right in the begining and player would found about them during the chase. But apparently saving the galagy only in the last 1/4 part of the game wasn't epic enough for Bioware.
And I hope, that it isn't Citadel part of the story, that you call "investigation". That part was utterly pointless and existed only for the sake of throwing at the player bunch of semi-random characters in the short amount of time.

Kidd

Educated
Dragon Age 2 is the one with no real C&C at all, completely fake from top to bottom.
At least Hawke's family had 20 different outcomes, not counting friend/rivalry differences since they're pretty minute differences.
:M

Kidd

Educated
20 varieties of shit is still shit.
Never claimed otherwise. I just find it is an often very overlooked hub of massive C&C =) Probably would have been noticed more if BioWare threw Hawke's family in your face more instead of keeping them in the background for most of the game.

your ma always dies in retarded cutscene but fate of your brother/sister have at least 5 different outcomes. i think one of them includes hawke using murder knife on his sister:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom