Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

imweasel

Without the higgs field all matter is massless. This has been said many times and is the current theory, not the brainfart that you just wrote.
http://cms.web.cern.ch/news/why-would-i-care-about-higgs-boson
Without the Higgs field, quarks would have no mass and consequently the proton would be heavier than the neutron, since all their mass would come from their respective binding energies. Now, without the Higgs field, the W− particle would have a much smaller mass, protons would spontaneously and almost instantly decay into neutrons — we would have a Universe without protons.
I guess I have to go into detail.

The Higgs field gives elementary particles their mass, and as you have pointed out, most of the mass of an atom results from the binding energies of protons' and neutrons' constituent quarks.

However, if the Higgs field did not exist or its average value were zero, these elementary particles (quarks and electrons), which aquire their mass from the Higgs field, would be massless. As a consequence, and according to the theory of general relativity, they would all travel at the speed of light. In other words, quarks and electrons would not be able to attract each to form atoms and all matter would simply "disintegrate" into massless elementary particles and energy.

As you can see, the Higgs mechanism is not the universal mass responsible detail, but the ultimate. Without the Higgs field matter would not have any mass and the universe as we know it would not exist.

anyway, i'm done arguing with you.
Okie dokie.

imweasel

I haven't done anything to you, all I did was state why I like Mass Effect 1 + 2 and you threw a massive fit. I also don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to discuss the physics theories used in the game either.

Anyway, if you get so infuriated, just because you disagree with somebody, then maybe you should go and see a therapist. Just some well-intentioned advice.

hiver

You can like it as much as you want. You cannot claim its good and then fail to support that with anything, instead trying to hide behind invented "oh hiver is angry" idiotic strawmans for several pages.
Nor can you just claim that "science!" of the lore is plausible - when its fucking not.
The plausibility of the lore and setting doesnt matter that much in such space opera, of course. What matters is that you claim one thing and then cannot prove it at all.

As you can see, the Higgs mechanism is not the universal mass responsible detail, but the ultimate. Without the Higgs field matter would not have any mass and the universe as we know it would not exist.
Indeed! ffs...

Frankly, im not sure has Higgs field ever been even mentioned in the game, rather its the "space magic" that makes everything work, or "dark energy".
Besides, the point anyway, is what this "lore" was used for is mediocre crap at best, if one only looks at it in the scope of a vidya game. If this was an actual science fiction story it would bomb horribly, be laughed at - and sued over blatant copyright infringement and generally despised as cheap space opera crap whose content was just directly "borrowed" from well known past works of science fiction.

The whole game is nothing more then one big ego pandering crap, where all of the content, all characters, all enemies, all problems sway and bend to make teenage players (the target audience) think they are cool heroes and saviors of teh Universe! (and fuck hot blue chicks!)

Even Sovereign, a super advanced Ai (later turned into not being Ai but actually a sludge of melted living beings... ? for some idiotic reason)- is behaving like a stupid moron - just so the player gets to feel "smart", ffs...

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I guess I have to go into detail.

The Higgs field gives elementary particles their mass, and as you have pointed out, most of the mass of an atom results from the binding energies of protons' and neutrons' constituent quarks.

However, if the Higgs field did not exist or its average value were zero, these elementary particles (quarks and electrons), which aquire their mass from the Higgs field, would be massless. As a consequence, and according to the theory of general relativity, they would all travel at the speed of light. In other words, quarks and electrons would not be able to attract each to form atoms and all matter would simply "disintegrate" into massless elementary particles and energy.

so you're saying this is wrong?

DraQ

Arcane
Trying to invent 3rd bottom
I thought it already hit the third bottom - after punching right through the previous two.
:martini:

As to why i call ME1 a RPG as opposed to an ARPG:
well, it is true that without a definition of what an rpg is its pretty much impossible to make an untouchable statement. But i will try to clarify why i believe it is one. In simple terms, because you know this shit.
RPGs have some core elements that never change.

- One of them is statistical character development. The main character, lhynn shepard, grows as he gains experience and even if superficial not all skills were about combat, there were 2 skills that you could improve that would grant you extra dialogue options.
- Itemization. ME featured a mess of an inventory, but at least the mix of gear and mods gave it some depth.
Those traits are present in *ALL* action RPGs.
Case in point Diablo.

- C&C: This one is not in every rpg
...and it also appears in quite a few non-RPGs from many different genres. Often to a greater extent than in any biowarean game.
Any strategy or sim with dynamic campaign, quite a few "pure" FPS games, quite a handful of adventures, etc.

If I had to list a trait that separates aRPGs from proper ones, I'd either use control method (in which case aRPGs would be any RPGs controlled in actiony manner, regardless of depth and focus, the term also wouldn't be pejorative in any way), or whether or not RPG elements are tacked onto core gameplay, often indicated by them pertaining to special, protagonist-only stuff, rather than being generic, all encompassing stat system - this usually works hand in hand with gameplay consisting of dispatching hordes of mooks.

Last edited:

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I thought the IT discussion with Lhynn was over... I come back and....
can_t_explain.jpg

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn it, my last post was such a perfect capstone for this thread. And now you've gone and ruined it.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I had an idea for a ME3 drinking game. Every time someone says "STOP THE REAPERS" you have to drink. Most of the people who play it will die.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom