Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect The Mass Effect builds thread, Legendary Edition

Wunderbar

Arcane
Crispy why are you bullying forum members for contributing to the community?

J1M

Arcane
Okay, so you're telling me you came up with a thesis in 2021 on how to build characters in a series of action games released over a decade ago because... why again?

Obviously you're looking forward to the Legendary edition. But it takes a special kind of autism to pre-plan these characters before said edition has even been released.

Just admit it. You're a fanboy.
There's literally a section of the post that explains why I made the post, but no. I am sharing builds that I came up with a decade ago because others may find them enjoyable due to the re-release. If you look at the builds I suggested you can easily see that they require certain decisions at the start of the game, so why would you want that information after you've already made irreversible decisions?

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the RENEGADE INTERRUPTS or the great narrator they picked for the Codex entries. Some of us are looking forward to a little collar-grabbing nostalgia.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Imagine not maxing charm/intimidate in this game

Actually, imagine playing this shit again just cos EA is dry humping its corpse in an effort to squeeze more cash out of the franchise

I loved the original back in the day but this game's day came and went, ME3 happened and I have no desire to have my hopes and dreams shat on all over again by that fucking turd

Andhaira

Arcane
I never got into the ME series, mainly becuase of not having a PC powerful enough to play it back in the day. Now I can easily play the originals if I want but not the new edition which will surpass my current laptop.

But looking at LP videos its basically a glorified shooter, so no.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
mass effect is only for chads, not surprised a dirty p*ki hasn't played it
Wanting to have sex with autistic aliens is the opposite of chadness. And all the ME fans I've met in my life have always been ugly fucks.

I never got into the ME series, mainly becuase of not having a PC powerful enough to play it back in the day.
What the fuck. I played it back than on what basically was a glorified toaster.

Tytus

Arcane
mass effect is only for chads, not surprised a dirty p*ki hasn't played it

gq79x67opdf61.jpg

High-three!

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wanting to have sex with autistic aliens is the opposite of chadness. And all the ME fans I've met in my life have always been ugly fucks.
you are literally fake news
It's the honest-to-God truth. The two biggest ME fans I know are also two of the ugliest non-disabled people I know. They are seriously revolting.

rusty_shackleford I swear. I would post their pics, but then fantadomat would say something like "meh, I'd fuck them" and I don't want to experience that.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Mass Effect had so much potential and it was squandered by mediocre writers. I wonder if Drew Karpyshyn could have saved it, but maybe due to it being a shooter it was always destined to go this route. The framework was there for something truly great in ME1. I don't think I could bring myself to replay the series for this reason.

On the subject of classes though. I'm pretty sure they'll make ME1 in line with ME2 and 3's classes and Vanguards will have their charge, Infiltrator's their stealth, etc. I don't know if they'll rebalance the enemies and give them armor and more shields like they did in ME2. But Adepts were always super strong in ME1. They could just use Singularity rooms with enemies and they'd be done. Infiltrator's are only good if you want to use snipers, but that's fine in something like ME1 where there are more open, long distance areas. ME1 also had sniper enemies and enemies with rocket launchers. I wonder if they'll remove these in favor of bringing it more in line with ME2.

Yosharian

Arcane
How did you not even mention bonus talents in this guide? Giving the non-soldier classes Assault Rifles is one of the best ways to make them even more powerful.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Also, you didn't mention that the most optimal way to play the series is to get Shepard killed at the end of ME2 so that the events of ME3 never happen

J1M

Arcane
How did you not even mention bonus talents in this guide? Giving the non-soldier classes Assault Rifles is one of the best ways to make them even more powerful.
I mentioned it in the difficulty section, but focused on builds that don't require you to play the games twice.

Yosharian

Arcane
I mentioned it in the difficulty section, but focused on builds that don't require you to play the games twice.
Ah but a true Mass Effect fanboy would know that you don't have to play the game twice to unlock it. Simply play to the part of the prologue where you are shooting down a long gantry where enemies are coming at you nonstop, and continue shooting until you've killed 150 enemies. It doesn't take long, maybe 20-30 minutes. Totally worth it for a 50-hour game.

Not sure how to do it in ME2 though, been a while

Edit: in ME2 you get to select bonus powers on the fly as you unlock them so it's all good

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Playing Vanguard in ME2 and it's... uneven experience. At start it was rough but that's true for most classes. Second, probably shoud've take sniper rifle instead of Claimore because of heavy mechs and armored collectors, they're such pita with this build. Third, past mid-game becomes a breeze aside from them since enemies aren't able to take my shield before the next charge (had a lot of fun with this type of gameplay in ME3) and fourth - outside of charging MC is SO SLOW I CANNOT BELEIVE and to makes things worse some enemies can basically stun-lock you. Fun, right? Fortunately I have finished the game a few times so I know which enemies are should be avoided. Combat dynamic in ME3 is so above this I cannot wait to import saves there, probably will skip some DLCs.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mass Effect had builds? Max conversation skill (pick one, who cares), then randomly sploot your points into whatever you feel like at the time.

Best series innovation: your ammo type is a skill starting in ME2. "Thank God I levelled up from fighting all those droids and space bandits. Now I can finally figure out how to load my gun with these clips of incendiary ammo in the hold instead of the same clips with regular ammo."

jackofshadows

Magister
Some skills are useless against armor/shields/barriers and most enemies have thouse on insanity so in a sense there're builds. Also in ME2 you can have 1 complimentary skill later on from the list of ultimate companion skills and it can change gameplay a bit as well. For Vanguard I picked barrier for extra shielding, feels nice.

Ammo upgrades are retarded but they provide at least some diversity among companions: some have more active skills to choose from and use, some are have thouse as passives but their damage is still very low, as I remember it much more significant in ME3 if progression was done right.

jackofshadows

Magister
Warp evolutions: Detonate, Expose, Recharge Speed
Why? It's something like 0.25 sec trade for +50% dmg to armor and 25% more exposing.

Having fun with it, plays quickly and feels very easy on insanity not only thanks to save import but to the fact that any un-shielded/un-armored enemies pose no threat whatsoever. With the weird exception of shield-wearing cerberus guys which are sort of immune to my singularity and at the same time vulnurable to Liara's. Like, wtf? I've noiticed differences between same abilities when MC is using them and companions before but this is the most prominent I've seen.

And build stuff aside - what a nice fucking game, lots of good humour, combat is dynamic and fun, and unlike many, I dig overall pressing atmosphere except that watching dream sequences is utterly boring.

J1M

Arcane
Warp evolutions: Detonate, Expose, Recharge Speed
Why? It's something like 0.25 sec trade for +50% dmg to armor and 25% more exposing.

Having fun with it, plays quickly and feels very easy on insanity not only thanks to save import but to the fact that any un-shielded/un-armored enemies pose no threat whatsoever. With the weird exception of shield-wearing cerberus guys which are sort of immune to my singularity and at the same time vulnurable to Liara's. Like, wtf? I've noiticed differences between same abilities when MC is using them and companions before but this is the most prominent I've seen.

And build stuff aside - what a nice fucking game, lots of good humour, combat is dynamic and fun, and unlike many, I dig overall pressing atmosphere except that watching dream sequences is utterly boring.
Your primary damage is combo detonations, so more cast speed means more damage. Also, the Pierce evolution does not function how you would expect it to based on the description.

It doesn't boost the damage of the initial hit or the dot, just the initial damage of a second warp cast to the same target.

https://web.archive.org/web/2016011...ary-ammo-confirmed-bug-mechanics-corrections/

jackofshadows

Magister
Also, the Pierce evolution does not function how you would expect it to based on the description.
Yeah, after learning it I've felt it myself. In this case even 0.25sec is better except maybe for some really fat armored targets which are dying more than fast enough anyway.

I'm getting to mid game and wondering where the challenge awaits me if not banshee then I don't even know, enemies are just falling apart. There was one really tough spot at Grissom Academy though but it's always hard, no matter the build.

If I'll ever come back again to the trilogy or just the third game I'll probably pick soldier (never even tried) as an opposite to what am I doing now.

J1M

Arcane
Also, the Pierce evolution does not function how you would expect it to based on the description.
Yeah, after learning it I've felt it myself. In this case even 0.25sec is better except maybe for some really fat armored targets which are dying more than fast enough anyway.

I'm getting to mid game and wondering where the challenge awaits me if not banshee then I don't even know, enemies are just falling apart. There was one really tough spot at Grissom Academy though but it's always hard, no matter the build.

If I'll ever come back again to the trilogy or just the third game I'll probably pick soldier (never even tried) as an opposite to what am I doing now.
If you are playing on the hardest difficulty and you are restricting yourself to not use guns then your high point of challenge might be the Citadel DLC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom