Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Megaman thread

Ryan muller

Educated
I noticed theres no Megaman thread yet, so here it is. Feel free to give your worst takes or to keep yelling pleb opinions such as liking MM2 the best.

As a SNES kid, I remember Mega Man X 1-2-3 being super coveted among kids. And with good reason, they are excellent games with astonishing production values. I could never pull off the Street Fighter moves but then again I was a dumb 8yo with poor coordination. X-2 was a favorite mostly because I got to play it the most.

Ryan muller

Educated
As a SNES kid, I remember Mega Man X 1-2-3 being super coveted among kids. And with good reason, they are excellent games with astonishing production values. I could never pull off the Street Fighter moves but then again I was a dumb 8yo with poor coordination. X-2 was a favorite mostly because I got to play it the most.
I felt like bossfights in X2 specifically, were an overall improvement upon X1, shame the game drops its balls when you hit the x hunter fortress

I felt like bossfights in X2 specifically, were an overall improvement upon X1, shame the game drops its balls when you hit the x hunter fortress
All games fuck up up to a certain point. The SNES megaman games were evenly good all across the board. As I said, the praise is justified.

Ryan muller

Educated
All games fuck up up to a certain point. The SNES megaman games were evenly good all across the board. As I said, the praise is justified.
I feel like X1 maintained the quality all the way throught the endgame, it has its flaws but it isnt on stage design itself

After that i would say none of the X games got the fortress stages well

Classic series usually does this better

lightbane

Arcane
I loved x4. X3 was the one that introduced me to the franchise but it was stupidly hard and full of secrets you would not know without a guide.
X5 was a mess and X6 is barely playable, with certain stages demanding specific gear to pass, or you are inevitably stuck (fuck High Max).
Of the rest of the games, I liked BN due how zany the universe was.
Shame MegaMan is all but forgotten nowadays.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Feel free to give your worst takes or to keep yelling pleb opinions such as liking MM2 the best.
In case someone is wondering why people say that: It's because Mega Man 2 is the easiest game in the series by far.

When us nerdy kids at school tried to beat the first three Mega Man-games, we had to work together to beat the first game, but each of us could solo the second game without hassle. We teamed up to try to beat the third game, but we couldn't beat it in time before the only kid who owned it moved away. We lost interest in the Mega Man-games after that.

HansDampf

Arcane
MM2 has an easy mode. Is it still the easiest game when played on normal mode? I don't remember.

Ryan muller

Educated
Feel free to give your worst takes or to keep yelling pleb opinions such as liking MM2 the best.
In case someone is wondering why people say that: It's because Mega Man 2 is the easiest game in the series by far.

When us nerdy kids at school tried to beat the first three Mega Man-games, we had to work together to beat the first game, but each of us could solo the second game without hassle. We teamed up to try to beat the third game, but we couldn't beat it in time before the only kid who owned it moved away. We lost interest in the Mega Man-games after that.

6 is the easiest in the series

Ryan muller

Educated
MM2 has an easy mode. Is it still the easiest game when played on normal mode? I don't remember.

6 is the easiest one even if comparing standard normal to easy, 5 is not far behind it as those games are far too kind when it comes to e tanks and giving you health

deuxhero

Arcane
X1 killed the entire point of a Mega Man game by putting the dash boots in Chill Penguin's stage, invalidating any order that doesn't start with Chill Penguin and leaving only two (strict weakness, or least backtracking). Should have had the capsule appear in whatever stage the player does first.

Häyhä

Arbiter
X1 killed the entire point of a Mega Man game by putting the dash boots in Chill Penguin's stage, invalidating any order that doesn't start with Chill Penguin and leaving only two (strict weakness, or least backtracking). Should have had the capsule appear in whatever stage the player does first.

Well, I don't know about that but it still had this:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Mega Man 1 laughs at you with its Magnet Beam.

deuxhero

Arcane
Except 1: the Magnet Beam requires Guts Man's weapon or redoing Elec Man's stage 2: Ice Man and Guts Man are the main stages that it's useful in, and Ice Man is weak to Elec Man's weapon anyways so you aren't as limited so if you're willing to do Guts Man's stage without the magnet beam the only limit is just "Don't do Elec Man before Guts Man if you don't want to redo his stage" 3: MM1 is universally recognized as deeply flawed and early enough they didn't know better.

430am

Educated
I never ever touched Megaman in my life and know nothing about it but I always wanted to try when it comes to my attention, give me a title or two I should play that will make me like the series.

I have to agree. I'm actually surprised Maverick Hunter X didn't change that.

Chill Penguin-first is so marked and obvious that even The Irregular Report novel had X start with him. It's literally a canon event.

It's also funny how the Storm Eagle fight changes severely if you have the Dash Boot, it's like his real weakness.

Storm Eagle without the boots is a helluva fight, you have to jump and run and position perfectly or he drops you from the Death Rogumer or kills you through dive bombing.
Storm Eagle with the boots is easy town, he doesn't have any real damaging ranged attack, you just need to dash out of anything he does and watch for his dive bombing attacks. He's weaker than Chill Penguin if you have the boots.

X2 drops the ball with a lack of a Violen 2nd Form, the game instead just gives you another lame Violen fight. Like, lol, lmao even.

I actually like NOT to get all of Zero's parts in X2, because I love the Zero fight AKA the OG X vs Zero. It really makes it more challenge to have to fight Zero, and THEN fight Sigma's two forms.

Neo-Sigma (AKA Wolverine Sigma) also dunks over OG Sigma hard. OG Sigma is so lame, Neo-Sigma teleports around the screen, fires electricity balls and tries to claw you. Probably the best 1st form Sigma fight in the SNES games.

Ryan muller

Educated
Except 1: the Magnet Beam requires Guts Man's weapon or redoing Elec Man's stage 2: Ice Man and Guts Man are the main stages that it's useful in, and Ice Man is weak to Elec Man's weapon anyways so you aren't as limited so if you're willing to do Guts Man's stage without the magnet beam the only limit is just "Don't do Elec Man before Guts Man if you don't want to redo his stage" 3: MM1 is universally recognized as deeply flawed and early enough they didn't know better.

You need magnet beam in wily 1, so its not optional

I do recognize the flaw in X1 tho hence why i mentioned it has its flaws, but they arent in the levels themselves

It also presents a bug that makes the upgraded charged buster worse, some bosses are heavily designed around dashing even tho dashing is only obtained going throught chill penguin, it lacks in the enemy variety department a bit,etc...

Its still the most consistent all the way throught.

Ryan muller

Educated
X2 drops the ball with a lack of a Violen 2nd Form, the game instead just gives you another lame Violen fight. Like, lol, lmao even.

I actually like NOT to get all of Zero's parts in X2, because I love the Zero fight AKA the OG X vs Zero. It really makes it more challenge to have to fight Zero, and THEN fight Sigma's two forms.

Neo-Sigma (AKA Wolverine Sigma) also dunks over OG Sigma hard. OG Sigma is so lame, Neo-Sigma teleports around the screen, fires electricity balls and tries to claw you. Probably the best 1st form Sigma fight in the SNES games.

I also rather ignore the parts, its a cool bonus fight and the endgame bosses are way too easy if you have all of those

Sadly the fortress stages themselves are bland as fuck and rely heavily on spike usage to make their challenges.

deuxhero

Arcane

I do recognize the flaw in X1 tho hence why i mentioned it has its flaws, but they arent in the levels themselves

It also presents a bug that makes the upgraded charged buster worse, some bosses are heavily designed around dashing even tho dashing is only obtained going throught chill penguin, it lacks in the enemy variety department a bit,etc...

Yes, in Wily 1, after you've defeated all the bosses. It doesn't force a particular boss order nearly as much as the dash in X1 did.

Ryan muller

Educated

Yes, in Wily 1, after you've defeated all the bosses. It doesn't force a particular boss order nearly as much as the dash in X1 did.

I would also adress the problem with ice man stage tho, since its footholders are bugged and pretty much everybody will die at that and go after the magnet beam

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I played them a lot on emulated NES and SNES as a kid but was never a great fan, very solid games but they never sucked me in. I think I liked Mega Man & Bass best because of the increased mobility and edginess of Bass.

When I was a kid I thought I did not like music at all, something that mostly held until my teens, but I had a big moment when one of the ice stage tracks from Megaman really hit me hard one day. I'm guessing it must've been the one from 7

That's also the one I likely played the most of for whatever reason.

I think I liked Mega Man & Bass best because of the increased mobility and edginess of Bass.
MM&B is pretty hard but pretty cool.

Bass in that game was simply ridiculous, he might be the most mobile Megaman series character ever - he can dash, he can double-jump, he can dash AND double-jump. He's like Zero on steroids.
His only weakness is that he must stop moving to attack unless he's jumping.

When I was a kid I thought I did not like music at all, something that mostly held until my teens, but I had a big moment when one of the ice stage tracks from Megaman really hit me hard one day. I'm guessing it must've been the one from 7
I love that song too, its a perfect cold day theme for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom