Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Unkillable Cat said:
Swords of Xeen is also worth a look, because of the hard difficulty and despite the bugs.
Fixed :smug:

Pablosdog

Prophet
World of Xeen, followed by 6

Anyone tried that weeaboo Might and magic game for ds?

Joghurt

Augur
A few months ago I replayed VI. I didn't finish it but it was fantastic. I just love Dragonsand. Every time I play MM6 I just love exterminating all the dragons there because they have shitloads of money and nice artifacts and relics.

Luzur

Good Sir
Clockwork Knight said:
There's good hard difficulty and dumb hard difficulty, which one is it

its not that impossible, with some tactics and planning you can survive.

but as long as you are low level there are not many areas you can visit and survive, so i guess its kinda linear in that aspect, since the game have a "beginners" trail of a sort to follow to get ya going.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
There's good hard difficulty and dumb hard difficulty, which one is it
A bit of both actually. It's been a very long time so I'm not sure but I remember the game being genuinely challenging with only some occasional dumb hard difficulty. Some areas will be too hard to go into until you built some levels but nothing impossibly difficult.

Repressed Homosexual
Paula Tormeson IV said:
How good is 9 with this patch (the one that's available):

http://telp.org/mm9/patches/patches.html

The game is just a piece of shit. This patch merely fixes some bugs, it doesn't improve the design.

MM IX is linear as fuck, devoid of depth and boring. The enemy graphics are pathetic, the NPCs and story are weird and/or creepy, and the game world and towns are super tiny.

Luzur

Good Sir
Bones 1.4 patch was supposed to open up the possibility to add in unused maps or make your own, but as usual when something good is in the works it dies.

but if you want to try i hear that his patch available for anyone that wants to finish it.

Repressed Homosexual
That would be like trying to draw blood out of a stone. No thanks.

I did read about a very advanced fan Might & Magic game, and the people seemed pretty serious about it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
This thread made me start playing MM3.

It's pretty much exactly like World of Xeen, just with a setting that seems a little less interesting.

Which is gud (except the setting part).

Luzur

Good Sir
Humanity has risen! said:
That would be like trying to draw blood out of a stone. No thanks.

I did read about a very advanced fan Might & Magic game, and the people seemed pretty serious about it.

there are like 2 projects going on right now, with 2 of them showing promising signs.

M&M X
http://www.thegaminguniverse.com/forum/ ... oard=211.0

M&M: The New Order
http://www.mightnmagic.glt.pl/

and then theres M&M Tribute, but you can consider it dead, since all they release is like a clickable map made in flash.
http://www.mmtribute.castlegobs.nl/

random_encounter

Educated
Another vote for World of Xeen. Combining two RPGs into one world was an amazing bonus for players. It's still awesome when I think about it. VI is a close second. VII had an exploit at the start that made it too easy if you found it, but wasn't too bad especially if you liked VI.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
If you can put up with the save system (only in inns) and the unforgiving combat then it's worth it. It has some really clever design, some interesting and very tough quests and even a plot twist!

Expect to die a lot though.

Needs mouse look (mm6 & mm7).

Didn't bother me before, but after Daggerfall (with the modern controls patch), I just can't enjoy the dungeons anymore.

Don't tell me it's an engine limitation. Somebody made a mouse-look mod for System Shock. Somebody needs to make one for mm6 & 7.

Repressed Homosexual
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Needs mouse look (mm6 & mm7).

Didn't bother me before, but after Daggerfall (with the modern controls patch), I just can't enjoy the dungeons anymore.

Don't tell me it's an engine limitation. Somebody made a mouse-look mod for System Shock. Somebody needs to make one for mm6 & 7.

Yeah that is true. I badly want free mouse look for these ones.

Sceptic said:
If you can put up with the save system (only in inns)

CONSOLE SHIT

Btw, what's that about a weeaboo DS one?

fake edit: It's a puzzle game.

might-and-magic-clash-of-heroes-20090521043746370_640w.jpg
might-and-magic-clash-of-heroes-20090715030430448.jpg

World of Xeen, then III, then VI, then everything else. Except IX, because that sucked donkey cock.

DaveO

Erudite
Isn't there a limit to how many options you can have in a poll? The series lasted nine entries, although #9 can be safely skipped.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
So is there any continuity between installments of Might and Magic? Or is it like the Final Fantasy series where there are some gameplay similarities between games, but the story and setting for each one is unique?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
There is a very strong continuity but it's sometimes very subtle and the continuity overlaps a lot with the HOMM series (and with Heroes Chronicles). The key to understanding how they're all linked is to keep in mind that there is no single thread that runs through ALL games, but rather some of the games act as "intersections" for two or more threads so that, if you look at the big picture, all of them end up being linked, even if indirectly. MM1-5 are kinda self-contained but your party from MM3 shows up again as NPCs in MM7. HOMM1 has some loose links with MM1, but MM6-8 and HOMM2-3 (with 3's expansions, but not 2's) are all very heavily linked and follow each other in strict chronological order (HOMM2, SOD, MM6, HOMM3, MM7, AB, MM8). HOMM4 is kind of an in-universe reboot (the reboot makes a lot more sense in light of the last HC game, MM2 and MM7 good ending), it moves to a different world but keeps some of the characters and threads. MM9 is supposed to be linked to HOMM4 (and to a lesser extent to 6) but with the mess that the game is it's hard to figure out how it would've fit in the grand scheme of things. HOMM4's expansions do not fit at all as far as I can tell.

The story of the universe is pretty cool to figure out. Individually the games have weak stories but the overarching plot is pretty interesting and unique and the backstory is a lot more complex than you'd think, once you start paying attention and compiling together all the seemingly random bits of information that you find. Some of the early games were surprisingly good at dropping references that only made sense later on - the main enemies of MM6-7 and HOMM3 are referenced as early as MM3 for example.

If you're interested in that aspect I'd love to discuss MM lore.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
ScottishMartialArts said:
So is there any continuity between installments of Might and Magic? Or is it like the Final Fantasy series where there are some gameplay similarities between games, but the story and setting for each one is unique?
Let me recall.

There is a dude called Sheltem, whom you defeat in II.

As a gift, Sheltem teleports you to a world of islands in III.

Another group of people are invaded in their dreams by a magician who tells you that a skeletal necromancer living in the clouds has taken over a kingdom, which happens IV.

This group of people thus confront Sheltem in V, who was the master of the skeletal necromancer.

The heroes teleported onto the islands in III become feudal warlords of Heroes of Might and Magic strategy game, and continue their conquests in this series.

When VI happens, the entire previous story arch is closed down, and a whole new one begins in a whole new world.

The rest of MMs continue from VI.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
ScottishMartialArts said:
Let me recall.

There is a dude called Sheltem, whom you defeat in II.

As a gift, Sheltem teleports you to a world of islands in III.

Another group of people are invaded in their dreams by a magician who tells you that a skeletal necromancer living in the clouds has taken over a kingdom, which happens IV.

This group of people thus confront Sheltem in V, who was the master of the skeletal necromancer.

The heroes teleported onto the islands in III become feudal warlords of Heroes of Might and Magic strategy game, and continue their conquests in this series.

When VI happens, the entire previous story arch is closed down, and a whole new one begins in a whole new world.

The rest of MMs continue from VI.

Sounds good enough to me. I never followed the story in the Might & Magic (or Heroes) games when I played them, but now I kinda wish I did. Shit.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sandro makes an appearance in MM5, among other things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom